HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oiler Sign Andrew Ference - 4 years, $3.25M per

View Poll Results: Do you like this signing
Yes 265 91.07%
No 26 8.93%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 05:15 PM
MetaOil1993

vCash: 450
Honestly I like this signing a lot! Ference and Smid are heart and soul type players that will do anything to win and they will be staple on the defensive side of our D, And by the looks of it Ference seems like he can actually make a decent pass. If we can I would try to flip Nick Schultz somewhere, He is kinda not really needed with Ference and Smid here now and our backload of 5-6-7 D.

MetaOil1993 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101 View Post
Watching this video, he is the perfect fit for the Oilers for the next few years. For this type of player, extra years are a very minor price to pay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iscBX...layer_embedded
Appreciate the effort but players always look way better than they are in these packages. The distort impact is huge.

Trouble with Ference is a blooper hilite reel would be as easy to compile. I don't know theres a D in the league thats scored as many own goals as Ference for instance.

Loved the one in the SC final that cost the Bruins the game and arguably the series. Ference looking at god knows what while a puck shot from the point (intended miss) banks perfectly in off his skate. Ference also had a play, can't remember if it was Chicago series as well where he scored on Rask attempting to play the puck behind the net.

This guy gets some grade A braincramps.

Never forgot this one either, what a jackass. Even attempts to lie about it saying it wasn't the index finger, didn't mean to do it, honest, my finger just got like that somehow, I was doing a fistpump, honest....

Last edited by Replacement: 07-05-2013 at 06:06 PM.
Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:28 PM
aleshemsky83

And don't forget he took a huge beatdown from Crosby

Last edited by aleshemsky83: 07-05-2013 at 05:38 PM.
aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
Del Preston

vCash: 147
Love the signing.

Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Del Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
And don't forget he took a huge beatdown from Crosby

Yes, what a "huge beatdown."

The length some of you go to to trash or discredit a player/GM/coach is incredible.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:02 PM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Signing a 34 year-old to a 4 year contract is Tambellini-esque. End of.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:25 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Not as expensive as I thought he'd be. True #4 Dman and would look good alongside either of Petry or Schultz TBH.

I think this makes Nick Schultz a very movable asset, especially if we figure Klefbom can play a bottom-pairing role already.

I give this move a solid B+ - not the top pairing defenseman this team needs oh-so-badly - but a solid 2nd pairing LD at a decent price.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:41 PM
Fat Jughead

Ference fan boy #1 here. So sad to see em go, but understand why it had to happen. Great fit for you guys though. He should have a letter on his jersey before long imo. Really great guy.

Don't worry about his age and size. The guy's a fitness and diet nut...even by pro hockey player standards 1 of those pound for pound guys as far as strength goes. Believe me, there's something to be said for leverage. Low man wins a lot of battles, and not many guys can get lower than Andy, by default He battles his ass off against much bigger guys all the time. Size is not an issue at all with him. He's a good old pro.

+ he flipped off Montreal in the playoffs. I mean, how epic was that...he will be missed

Cheers

Fat Jughead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:49 PM
Enlighten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Jebus, I'm cursed.

This is what I posted on Ference just last night on another thread:

sigh.

Against the Hawks Boston was seemingly trying to get through most shifts ference was out on the ice. He looked bad for a vet D. Not much surprise he's available. Even less that I wake up and find out he's an Oiler.

Time to take up basket weaving.
Yes but against the Penguins he successfully shut down two of the best players in the world. The boston D was unreal against the pens and contrary to popular belief it wasnt just big Z.

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Ference was also involved in the firing of the NHLPA boss, Kelly and drew lots of fire for that.

In the end one of the stupidest things the NHLPA ever did. Kelly was a great ambassador for the NHLPA never deserved anything like this. Nothing much to do with hockey as played on the ice but even Brad Park ripped into Ference.

Classic moment from the past:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._attorney.html

Quote:
Ex-Bruin Brad Park, the Hall of Fame defenseman, is decidedly not on Ference's side. A bold supporter of Kelly's, in part because it was Kelly who recently forced a court remedy in Canada to secure millions of dollars in pension money for the widows of players who were in the league prior to 1985, Park today contacted the Globe to voice his displeasure with Kelly's firing in general and with Ference in particular.

''Let me tell Andrew Ference, one defenseman to another, he should spend more time worrying about going to back to get the puck than to worry about Paul Kelly's ability to do the job as head of the PA, said Park, who turned 61 years old in July. ''When [Ference] was in junior, I assume he wasn't going to college...so I ask, what makes him so [expletive] smart?! They had a guy like Chris Chelios in that room [in Chicago] who disagreed, told them to wait and think.

''Maybe guys like Ference should take time to listen to guys who are older and smarter.''

Old
07-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

What the **** does the firing of Kelly have to do with the oilers signing Andrew Ference?

We get that you don't like the move (yet again. What a shock) replacement

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlighten View Post
Yes but against the Penguins he successfully shut down two of the best players in the world. The boston D was unreal against the pens and contrary to popular belief it wasnt just big Z.
He'll be decent, will hit as much as any other D we have. But I flipping detest Ference. Have ever since his flames days. Grade Ahole on the ice and off it.

Next to Regehr Ference was the Flame I disliked the most at that time.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Ference was also involved in the firing of the NHLPA boss, Kelly and drew lots of fire for that.

In the end one of the stupidest things the NHLPA ever did. Kelly was a great ambassador for the NHLPA never deserved anything like this. Nothing much to do with hockey as played on the ice but even Brad Park ripped into Ference.

Classic moment from the past:

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/..._attorney.html
Old man butt hurt is always the funniest...thanks for the laugh Replacement!

BTW, you're starting to look petty with the shovel and all... it seems like your digging just for the sake of digging...just saying. Ference will be an excellent addition to the team IMO.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
He'll be decent, will hit as much as any other D we have. But I flipping detest Ference. Have ever since his flames days. Grade Ahole on the ice and off it.

Next to Regehr Ference was the Flame I disliked the most at that time.
Yeah Ference is such an ******* that he went to Africa to help kids there.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
What the **** does the firing of Kelly have to do with the oilers signing Andrew Ference?

We get that you don't like the move (yet again. What a shock) replacement
Not a whole lot as I stated. I remembered the event and who was behind it.

Kelly was a great guy that never deserved that.

Ference's explanation was dirt poor. Even took some flack from the membership afairc for acting unilaterally on the firing.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Del Preston

Who gives a flying ****? Unbelievable. He's here to play hockey.

Knowing some of the stuff Torres has done in his past, it's hilarious that you are harping on Ference for something so minor in comparison.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Perfect_Drug

Replacement is upset?

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Signing a 34 year-old to a 4 year contract is Tambellini-esque. End of.
Signing and Tambellini don't belong in the same sentence.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
Old man butt hurt is always the funniest...thanks for the laugh Replacement!

BTW, you're starting to look petty with the shovel and all... it seems like your digging just for the sake of digging...just saying. Ference will be an excellent addition to the team IMO.
haha

Its gotten to the point of being funny how many players I detest that end up here.

I must be Karma challenged..

Lets see off the top of my head:

Eager, Sutton, Hordichuk, Teubert, Ference

I keep thinking I'm forgetting a few.

Ference is a reasonable player. But as many people before me have stated he should just stick to playing hockey and shut his yap.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:05 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Sure, but huge difference between Chara looking bad and Ference looking bad. With Chara you know he'll come around.

I'm not that sold that we're getting all that much with Ference with this contract. He's had a hard physical career, lots of mileage. How much is left?

We'll see I guess.

tbh I never liked this guy in Calgary. Probably prolonged feelings about that as well.
As a Bruins fan... Ference was by far our best defensman in the Finals. Chara and Seidenberg were cooked but Ference was solid.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

Quote:
Appreciate the effort but players always look way better than they are in these packages. The distort impact is huge.

Trouble with Ference is a blooper hilite reel would be as easy to compile. I don't know theres a D in the league thats scored as many own goals as Ference for instance.

Loved the one in the SC final that cost the Bruins the game and arguably the series. Ference looking at god knows what while a puck shot from the point (intended miss) banks perfectly in off his skate. Ference also had a play, can't remember if it was Chicago series as well where he scored on Rask attempting to play the puck behind the net.

This guy gets some grade A braincramps.

Never forgot this one either, what a jackass. Even attempts to lie about it saying it wasn't the index finger, didn't mean to do it, honest, my finger just got like that somehow, I was doing a fistpump, honest....

So we get a player who's fans love him and who's opposing fans despise him. Damn we totally don't need more players like that.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Del Preston

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
As a Bruins fan... Ference was by far our best defensman in the Finals. Chara and Seidenberg were cooked but Ference was solid.
I don't think you realize what you've just gotten yourself into. Do you have the next 3-4 hours free?

Old
07-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Who gives a flying ****? Unbelievable. He's here to play hockey.

Knowing some of the stuff Torres has done in his past, it's hilarious that you are harping on Ference for something so minor in comparison.
Ference will be a reasonable hockey player for us. Should throw em down lots and get in peoples faces. Ference starts a lot of stuff and isn't shy about finishing it either. Tough guy to play against in that he's consistently ornery so a lot of what we need.

Sure its hilarious I guess. I'm trying to look at the funnier side of this myself. No need to take everything I say so seriously.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
With a marchand avatar yet.. what am I getting myself in for?

Seriously didn't any of you wonder what Ference was doing when he deflected a shot going wide directly into his net with his skate? Tell me what Ference was looking at as he was staring at nobody along the boards?

I thought Andrew played well for you guys in your cup win. I don't think he was that great in the final this year.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Salem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
I don't think you know what you've just gotten yourself into. Do you have the next 3-4 hours free?
B's fan here... I can see what he was saying about Chara and Sieds being cooked, they were both banged up and Andy was solid...

...now if we want to talk about some positional plays and some real bad give-aways... well, that Andy was there too.

Overall though he is a real &*$#$%^ solid second pair guy and unbelievable room presence from every account I have ever heard.

Along with that he's a kick ass community person too - with Edmonton being his home he's goona bring that in spades.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote