HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 05:05 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Our center ice position has a lot more depth, but it is still significantly inferior to most teams down the middle. Our wingers are inexperienced and unproductive.

If anything, this offseason has added clear roles to our lineup. Hendricks-Gaustad-Nystrom will be tenacious, hard-hitting, face-off winning, and defensive oriented. The offensive talent on that line is pretty minuscle, but it should be counted on to ice anywhere from 10-15 minutes as a ridiculously over-priced 4th line/specialty line. (7.85 million for our fourth line, ridiculous).

Our transition game should be better. Our fourth line is more like a 3b shut down line. Hopefully we get healthy and Colin Wilson becomes a star with Stalberg becoming a legitimate top 6 consistent forward.

Otherwise, we are dead in the water. Again.

Lot's of ifs that are unnecessary.
An honest answer is because that's not the way the way Trotz or Poile approach hockey. They like the blue collar worker, roll the lines approach.

I don't mind it actally.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:12 PM
Preddownsouth

Welp. Loved getting VS. Disappointed we left Grabbo on the table and instead went with the 'sign all the forwards who can't score' route. Here's to hoping Wilson and Forsberg light it up this season. Call me skeptical though.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Trigg, clearly we are a better team. We are clearly more "predator-like" with tenacity, harder hitting, and better leadership. Stalberg may fill a top 6 role. Cullen will be a decent 2nd/3rd liner that will help with the powerplay.

And yet, we continue, as an organization to shy away from focusing on an elite or even true top tier forward. I like the roll the lines approach, but when you watch the Kings and Bruins, etc. who roll lines and win - we simply do not have the talent to even come close to matching that. We have no richards, kopitar, brown, or Carter. We have no horton, seguin, krecj, bergeron, lucic. We don't have a toews, kane, sharp, or Hossa. All of those guys are significantly better than anyone we can ice, and our model is vastly different than theirs.

Honestly, our true comparable model has been that Ducks team that had 1 forward star in Kariya, a bunch of crap offensive players that played gritty hard nosed hockey, and a blue line that featured Neidermayer/Pronger with elite goaltending. We got to the second round with our hand-crafted team. We lost in 5. I will agree we outplayed Phoenix in every game but one of that series, but we still got beat in 5. Why? We couldn't score. And in the playoffs, it is harder to score. I think we are reassimilating that end-game: Elite defense, elite goaltending, defensive and opportunitisc forwards.

The problem is it just doesn't work very often.

Here is to hoping our forwards continue to improve and Stalberg/Forsberg become something special.

07-05-2013, 05:23 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Predator hockey is a proven way to win the Stanley Cup.
I guess I missed when that happened.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Trigg, clearly we are a better team. We are clearly more "predator-like" with tenacity, harder hitting, and better leadership. Stalberg may fill a top 6 role. Cullen will be a decent 2nd/3rd liner that will help with the powerplay.

And yet, we continue, as an organization to shy away from focusing on an elite or even true top tier forward. I like the roll the lines approach, but when you watch the Kings and Bruins, etc. who roll lines and win - we simply do not have the talent to even come close to matching that. We have no richards, kopitar, brown, or Carter. We have no horton, seguin, krecj, bergeron, lucic. We don't have a toews, kane, sharp, or Hossa. All of those guys are significantly better than anyone we can ice, and our model is vastly different than theirs.

Honestly, our true comparable model has been that Ducks team that had 1 forward star in Kariya, a bunch of crap offensive players that played gritty hard nosed hockey, and a blue line that featured Neidermayer/Pronger with elite goaltending. We got to the second round with our hand-crafted team. We lost in 5. I will agree we outplayed Phoenix in every game but one of that series, but we still got beat in 5. Why? We couldn't score. And in the playoffs, it is harder to score. I think we are reassimilating that end-game: Elite defense, elite goaltending, defensive and opportunitisc forwards.

The problem is it just doesn't work very often.

Here is to hoping our forwards continue to improve and Stalberg/Forsberg become something special.
I understand, that Enoch, but you don't stop trying because the one playoffs it didn't work. We were better that playoffs than we were the playoffs with Kariya, Dumont, Sullivan and Forsberg.

I also think Wilson and Forsberg can be top line forwards. Beck and Hornqvist are both also good offensive players and Bourque has shown glimpses.

I'd also say this team has more offensive punch than that 2012 team. This has really good depth if you look at it. Wilson, Forsberg, Hornqvist, Stalberg, Beck, Bourque, Fisher, Cullen and Legwand are all good 2nd line players.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:29 PM
tserberis*

Good god we didn't get rid of that first pick next year! Will come in handy.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Jubal

In this dark depressing thread I thought I'd try to add something positive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb5A4Ri2iZo

Hendricks appears to be decent at the shootout. That's certainly something we needed improvement on last year.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I understand, that Enoch, but you don't stop trying because the one playoffs it didn't work. We were better that playoffs than we were the playoffs with Kariya, Dumont, Sullivan and Forsberg.

I also think Wilson and Forsberg can be top line forwards. Beck and Hornqvist are both also good offensive players and Bourque has shown glimpses.

I'd also say this team has more offensive punch than that 2012 team. This has really good depth if you look at it. Wilson, Forsberg, Hornqvist, Stalberg, Beck, Bourque, Fisher, Cullen and Legwand are all good 2nd line players.
Yes on a bad team...

Stop. We had better offense in 2012. Forsberg is at best unproven. Wilson may Blum himself yet.

Lets see what happens. But for now, I am pissed. We blew our load on garbage. Stalberg is nice the others not so much.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:31 PM
tserberis*

Quote:

You guys sound like you bought a lemon car and check engine pops up...
And you drive it home and hope it is nothing serious. But deep inside you know you are ****ed!

LOL

Old
07-05-2013, 05:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
You guys sound like you bought a lemon car and check engine pops up...
And you drive it home and hope it is nothing serious. But deep inside you know you are ****ed!

LOL
No, I'm just not a whinny ass.

I don't have anything against what Poile has done. He upgraded the roster with free agents so of course he overpaid.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:38 PM
thecloser

Jesus Christ. Free agency is not over yet. We did fine. Yes the terms and money is a little unreal on some of the players but we did alright. We need to add a couple more pieces an we'll be fine.

Love VS

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-05-2013 at 05:39 PM. Reason: light flame
Old
07-05-2013, 05:40 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
No, I'm just not a whinny ass.

I don't have anything against what Poile has done. He upgraded the roster with free agents so of course he overpaid.
We didn't get that top line forward but, even if we did, some people would still be pissed that Poile didn't get another top 6 or the top 6 they wanted..

Old
07-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Jubal

I'm not exactly happy with all of the contracts today either but at least I'm not going out of my way to be completely negative about them.

If we win a Cup, what will the negative people on this board piss and moan about then? "It doesn't look as nice as last year when they brought it out. Fire Poile. We're a joke. **** us, that's why."

Old
07-05-2013, 05:43 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I'm not exactly happy with all of the contracts today either but at least I'm not going out of my way to be completely negative about them.

If we win a Cup, what will the negative people on this board piss and moan about then? "It doesn't look as nice as last year when they brought it out. Fire Poile. We're a joke. **** us, that's why."
"we would of won a cup sooner. We could of swept them with better forwards. something something Trotz something"

Old
07-05-2013, 05:45 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:

Hendricks appears to be decent at the shootout. That's certainly something we needed improvement on last year.
Thomas, oh he mad.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:50 PM
Firestorm

Ryder to New Jersey 3.5M per year for 2 years.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:50 PM
NorthAlPredfan

Quote:

He does look good on the shootout but hopefully with our additions today and to come in the following weeks, maybe we won't need him for that. But good to know we have someone that can help out there if necessary. Here's to hoping the D will not roll over this season like last year and give teams with no chance of beating us a game tying goal and forcing OT night after night.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:53 PM
thecloser

Stalberg on our roster could put up 25-35 goals honestly. He was I'm the shadow of sonny good players at Chicago we give him a chance to shine and be one of put best players. Realistically.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:53 PM
thecloser

What about smith + Ellis and a pick for vanek?

Old
07-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Jubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
If Vanek was signed for longer then yes.

Old
07-05-2013, 05:57 PM
iKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
If we can resign him, I think it would be a good deal

Old
07-05-2013, 05:58 PM
thecloser

True. We would need an extension for sure

Old
07-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

I'm left with three impressions:

1.) We have money. Last year we offered 90-plus to Suter, wanted Parise, extended Rinne and Weber while signing Goose for more than 3 mil/year. Now were throwing tons of money around for "nobodys" because we can. Better than being strapped for cash.

2.) I believe Poile has honestly tried hard to get the big name here but players just arent doing it. He now targets players he can realistically get, and goes back to the true identity of this team. I think its now more clear than ever that he will have to trade for good offense because no one is voluntarily signing here.

3.) I think we DID improve our team. On the surface, these are good signings and good additions to the club. Its the pricetag that people are going nuts over. Understandably so. However, theres no way this current lineup is the team we actually put out there this season. More changes are coming. I wouldn't be surprised if Grabo signed here. Dude's getting married today. I think he's gonna wait a few days. Also, we'll make some trades. We have to. We have too many players. Just be patient.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
Ryder to New Jersey 3.5M per year for 2 years.

That was the fish to catch. And we signed freaking Matt Cullen to the same deal.

The terms and the players are what have me just fuming. This feels like a short cut. We need a reboot.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:05 PM
thecloser

I honestly think we'll nab Grabovski. I think he's been on our list for a while.

Closed Thread