HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler Sign Andrew Ference - 4 years, $3.25M per

View Poll Results: Do you like this signing
Yes 265 91.07%
No 26 8.93%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 07:13 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
So we get a player who's fans love him and who's opposing fans despise him. Damn we totally don't need more players like that.
Its of course a reasonable point. But not everybody like that has done much of everything here.

Again Eager, Sutton, Hordi, Brown have been underwhelming here. Ference isn't imo that great a D. His premium calling card is playing with grit and letting everybody know he's there. Lb per LB Andrew is a whole bunch of nasty. But I thought he was losing battles a lot in the playoffs this year. Didn't look particularly strong to me.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:13 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
What WOULD make you happy, Replacement? As a fellow fan of all things Edmonton I can certainly understand being pessimistic and feeling worn down, especially after that humiliating Eskimos game...

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:17 PM
awesomo
HARD!

signing Gilbert would please Replacement

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:18 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
What WOULD make you happy, Replacement? As a fellow fan of all things Edmonton I can certainly understand being pessimistic and feeling worn down, especially after that humiliating Eskimos game...
From a sport POV a winning club anywhere in sight here in Edmonton.

Aside from that I need a holiday.

Hey, I love Hall, Yak, Gagner, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, theres a core here. But we gotta help it along. Ference actually should help. My opinion on him doesn't need to be taken seriously and probably shouldn't be.

How many people are that honest on a message board?

Old
07-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Spawn

Like the signing. Not thrilled about the term, but oh well. Should be a good #4/#5 for us with good veteran leadership. We still need another top 4 guy I think.

I would be much more comfortable going into the season with an additional top 4 guy than what we have now.

Smid-Petry
Ference-xxxx
N. Schultz-J. Schultz

Would be palatable for sure.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
signing Gilbert would please Replacement
Strangely enough.

But the guy I wanted for years was Willie Mitchell. Relatively cheap unsung D that blocked opposing forwards out like a small planet. love that guy. Kings Won a SC with his help. Best Minnesota Wild player ever.

Old
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
From a sport POV a winning club anywhere in sight here in Edmonton.

Aside from that I need a holiday.

Hey, I love Hall, Yak, Gagner, Eberle, RNH, Schultz, theres a core here. But we gotta help it along. Ference actually should help. My opinion on him doesn't need to be taken seriously and probably shouldn't be.

How many people are that honest on a message board?
Of course, I meant more from a personnel view. I mean people always bemoan us missing out on certain UFAs..

Well, 29 other teams tend to miss out on them too.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:27 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Ference will be a reasonable hockey player for us. Should throw em down lots and get in peoples faces. Ference starts a lot of stuff and isn't shy about finishing it either. Tough guy to play against in that he's consistently ornery so a lot of what we need.
That's what I'm hoping for too. As long as he plays tough and mean you won't hear me complaining that the deal is a year too long.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:30 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Strangely enough.

But the guy I wanted for years was Willie Mitchell. Relatively cheap unsung D that blocked opposing forwards out like a small planet. love that guy. Kings Won a SC with his help. Best Minnesota Wild player ever.
Legitimate top-pairing defenseman. Is he available though?

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:31 PM
belair

I'm with Replacement on this one and I knew we were signing this guy as early as February. It was a gut feeling.

But I like to put an optimistic spin on everything...especially when we're talking Edmonton Oilers.

We just signed Steve Staios again. Whether it's him when he got here or him when he was on his decline remains to be seen. I'm just hoping we didn't just sign the goat for 4 years...

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:31 PM
Chooch

I'm not going to say that we don't need a Ference, because we certainly could use him. However, we overpaid just a bit & the term is way too long. He will be signed here until he's nearly 40 years old. For the money we gave him, it would have been reasonable for MacT to cut the term in half. Who knows, he probably did and Ference just didn't budge.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
Legitimate top-pairing defenseman. Is he available though?
He was when his best bud Roli was here in net. Oilers were too stupid to pick up on the obvious affinity between the two.

A pickup like that would be the difference between losing in the final and winning in spades. Could you imagine Pronger, Mitchell, Roli on the same club?

Old
07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
I'm not going to say that we don't need a Ference, because we certainly could use him. However, we overpaid just a bit & the term is way too long. He will be signed here until he's nearly 40 years old. For the money we gave him, it would have been reasonable for MacT to cut the term in half. Who knows, he probably did and Ference just didn't budge.
Hyperbole.
Ference just turned 34 and will have turned 38 (in March) at the end of the 4th year of this contract.
Sure it was 1 year to long but thats the nature of the beast.

Show me 1 value signing today....that type of contract doesn't exist when it comes to the 1st day of Free Agency.

This team lacked top 4 dmen and also lacked character and toughness.

Ference allows all 3 of those columns to be checked off.

Just like Gordon, Ference was more expensive than he should have been but both players bring qualities this team was lacking in.

Also, Edmonton will always have to over pay for FA's (1st day of FA or not)....thats just a reality that Oiler fans have to live with.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:58 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Show me 1 value signing today....that type of contract doesn't exist when it comes to the 1st day of Free Agency.
Khubodin, Alfredsson, Lapierre, Matt Cooke, MacArthur, Emery, Pierre Marc Bouchard, Griess etc etc.. there was quite a few to be honest.

But how many of these teams are in Edmontons position with their geography working against them? Not many.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:01 PM
russ99

I wouldn't mind seeing the Oil go after one of those RFA defensemen with an offer sheet.

russ99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:04 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Khubodin, Alfredsson, Lapierre, Matt Cooke, MacArthur, Emery, Pierre Marc Bouchard, Griess etc etc.. there was quite a few to be honest.

But how many of these teams are in Edmontons position with their geography working against them? Not many.

I also should have prefaced my post with value contracts to a 'non contending' team. Although some of the contracts (41 year old Alfredsson...et al) could be argued that they were not exactly value signing contracts.

Point taken though...the city of Edmonton is a tough sell and the team being as bad as it is (thanks Tambo) makes the Oilers a very tough sell.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Soundwave

One thing that I hope is that Ference's eating and training habits filter up to some of our younger players.

He's Gary Roberts-like about that stuff.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
skorf

I at first hated the signing.

I'd say he's behind Smid, Petry, and JSchultz this year and is a 4th D.
Next year would be behind Klefbom and a 5th
Year after behind Nurse as a 6th D.
Year after easily behind a guy like Marcinin, Musil, Larsen, etc. and a 7th D

That's without including Belov since he's an unknown (though if he was the best D in the KHL, I actually would bet he will end up a top 4 D by midseason and drop Ference a slot in each year).

So I think that's an overpayment for a guy who won't have a role long-term.

With that being said, I am starting to like it more and more. In a large part it is because of the Bruins fans. He sounds like an amazing locker room presence, a guy who could stabilize our defense for the next year or two, and someone who wants to be here.
If we don't have a place for him in years 3 and 4, teams are always looking for vet D at the trade deadline and we could always trade him.

So I guess I'm on board with this signing.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:13 PM
Soundwave

One great thing about our cap situation is in the next few years we're going to benefit a lot from d-men on ELCs.

We'll get Klefbom for 3 years on the cheap, then Nurse and hopefully 1 of Marincin/Musil/Gernat also pan out.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:16 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
One great thing about our cap situation is in the next few years we're going to benefit a lot from d-men on ELCs.

We'll get Klefbom for 3 years on the cheap, then Nurse and hopefully 1 of Marincin/Musil/Gernat also pan out.
...and Ference will help bridge the gap for the younger dmen to develop properly.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
son Gregor ‏@JasonGregor
"I've played both sides with lots of partners, so I'm comfortable on either side." Ference
This is particularly interesting. I still think we need one more puck moving D-man, but its easier to find one thats of the LHD than RHD.

Still, I'm happy with this signing. Yes we overpaid but it's free agency and we needed someone who could play some serious minutes.

07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
SephF
See you next time

Apparently Ference's dad runs a dentist office in Sherwood Park?

just thought of this post I read on here the other day

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossy joe View Post
Ference has little or no ties to Edmonton. he left there to play in Portland when he was 15 (19 years ago). when he was playing in Pit and CGY he lived in Canmore for the offseason. when CGY sewered him, traded him when he had signed a hometown deal and literally left him on the side of the highway, he sold his Canmore property and two properties in Calgary and vowed never to return. his parents have since moved away from the Edmonton area as well. when he had his day with the cup he took it not to outside of sherwood park where he grew up but to boston. he currently spends the offseason in Vernon. the guy has zero connection to Edmonton, and won't return to CGY for a bunch a reasons.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
I'm with Replacement on this one and I knew we were signing this guy as early as February. It was a gut feeling.

But I like to put an optimistic spin on everything...especially when we're talking Edmonton Oilers.

We just signed Steve Staios again. Whether it's him when he got here or him when he was on his decline remains to be seen. I'm just hoping we didn't just sign the goat for 4 years...
I agree with the Staios comparison and we come out of this looking "OK" as long as at least one of your young defence prospects can be worked into a bigger role before Ference begins to decay right before our eyes.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:51 PM
kes81sel
Go MacT

I love this trade... Ference is great defensively and ok offensively

kes81sel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:59 PM
Darnell Nurse
SMASHBROS2014

Too long for me... the guy will be 38 by the time its over, still pretty stoked we got a hometown boy for once!

Darnell Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote