HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 07:54 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Actually, I was thinking about a potential hole still left on our defense roster since we're putting a lot of stock in Jones being able to come in and play 20 minutes per night. Franson is a big puck mover who has grown his game since he left here, and he provides offense. The downside is we would have five right handed defenders playing. The upside is, if we got him for that package, we wouldn't be giving up much since it looks like Smith's time here is limited. If he doesn't put it together and fast he doesn't have a spot on the team.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:55 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

And it was more than just a bad season. He has had a lot more bad months than good ones. He was good for October and part of November. He was invisible for the rest of his rookie season, and all of last season.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Would rather have Franson than Ellis. That's for sure.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:01 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I wouldn't be opposed to sending Ellis the other way, but I don't know if the Leafs would be receptive of that deal. Getting Franson back would allow us to move Ellis, though.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:05 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Its the seemingly outrageous price tags we signed them to. Good fits, just potential overpayment.
Take a look at the othet contracts signed today please...

Old
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I wouldn't be opposed to sending Ellis the other way, but I don't know if the Leafs would be receptive of that deal. Getting Franson back would allow us to move Ellis, though.
Leafs have enough offensively minded dmen. Trading Franson just leaves them with having to replace him somehow. He has improved a fair bit since his departure from Nashville though so I like your thinking.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:08 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Actually, I was thinking about a potential hole still left on our defense roster since we're putting a lot of stock in Jones being able to come in and play 20 minutes per night. Franson is a big puck mover who has grown his game since he left here, and he provides offense. The downside is we would have five right handed defenders playing. The upside is, if we got him for that package, we wouldn't be giving up much since it looks like Smith's time here is limited. If he doesn't put it together and fast he doesn't have a spot on the team.
So if we went by your logic who exactly would we have on are team that is young and has had one full training camp?

Old
07-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Mercalius

I'll give Nystrom one thing - he seems amped to be here.

@enystrom23: @colinwilson33 psyched man. So f-ing psyched!!

@enystrom23: Tryin to get thru all ur kind words! Hockey fans are the best. So passionate! Im truly flattered by ur support. Thank u all so much!

@enystrom23: Yes my brotha. @richcluneshow we're competitive ********! Ha

In response to Clune's

@richcluneshow: @enystrom23 can we forget all those mean things we said to eachother?

Old
07-05-2013, 08:22 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
So if we went by your logic who exactly would we have on are team that is young and has had one full training camp?
Everyone not named Smith? My logic so far has been "let's see if we can trade Smith and a pick for Franson", so everyone not named Smith seems to be OK.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:23 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post

@richcluneshow: @enystrom23 can we forget all those mean things we said to eachother?

Old
07-05-2013, 08:28 PM
Jubal

Clune is seriously the best at twitter. Nystrom is taking the time to reply to every fan that has tweeted him. That's awesome.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:28 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Everyone not named Smith? My logic so far has been "let's see if we can trade Smith and a pick for Franson", so everyone not named Smith seems to be OK.
None of the young guys have proven to be any better than Smith.
So why Smith? Because he is the cool target to pick on.
Let's hear some logic on why?

Old
07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I told you. Because Smith has had his chance over a full season and a shortened season. He is running out of time, and we already have a surplus of forwards. Not only that, but he actually does still have some potential, which means he has some value.

So, to break it down a bit, A) his window here is closing, but B) he could do well with a change of scenery so C) he, in my mind, is an expendable asset who may still have some value to a team looking for a young center with offensive upside.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:41 PM
hockey diva

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. Poile is certifiable.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:44 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Naa, the definition of insanity is:

Quote:
The state of being seriously mentally ill; madness.
Extreme foolishness or irrationality.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:46 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
I'll give Nystrom one thing - he seems amped to be here.

@enystrom23: @colinwilson33 psyched man. So f-ing psyched!!

@enystrom23: Tryin to get thru all ur kind words! Hockey fans are the best. So passionate! Im truly flattered by ur support. Thank u all so much!

@enystrom23: Yes my brotha. @richcluneshow we're competitive ********! Ha

In response to Clune's

@richcluneshow: @enystrom23 can we forget all those mean things
we said to eachother?
And his twitter background is already a picture of "Smashville"...

Old
07-05-2013, 08:46 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

The poster?

Old
07-05-2013, 08:50 PM
PFL615

Quote:
I told you. Because Smith has had his chance over a full season and a shortened season. He is running out of time, and we already have a surplus of forwards. Not only that, but he actually does still have some potential, which means he has some value.

So, to break it down a bit, A) his window here is closing, but B) he could do well with a change of scenery so C) he, in my mind, is an expendable asset who may still have some value to a team looking for a young center with offensive upside.
Smith is one of are most skilled forwards can we not give him a chance to play on a line with other skilled guys and improve. Where you saying this about Colin Wilson to?

Old
07-05-2013, 08:54 PM
maplepred

I hope smith doesn't end up being Blum part 2

Old
07-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

One positive thing to note: none of our signings today came with no trade clauses. At least I don't think...

Old
07-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Mercalius

NHLN is really praising our moves today. Spent about 5 minutes going over our pickups and didn't have a bad word to say.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:57 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

No I wasn't, but Colin Wilson was also drafted with certain expectations. Craig Smith, on the other hand, came out of obscurity after a couple of good seasons in the NCAA and a great WC. He came in, looked like he was legit, and then fell off again. Instead of getting back on the horse, he continued to play the same style of game that simply was not working for him until he lost minutes. We have Watson coming up behind him, Forsberg who will likely already be on the team along with Wilson, Beck and Bourque. Leipsic and Aberg look to be coming up in the next couple of years. Smith isn't suited to play a bottom six role, and his window to cement himself in the top six is closing with every game he is outplayed by some of the other young guys.

Offensive "skill" is but one piece of a good hockey player. He seems to be lacking some of the other pieces, and it takes away from his ability to use his skill. If he has a great camp, fine, but this is a discussion board. It's not like me saying "hey what do you guys think about sending Smith + a pick to Toronto for Franson" has any influence on reality whatsoever.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:58 PM
PFL615

Funny how everyone but some "Preds" fans like what happened today.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I forgot who it was, maybe Hradek, who said that these moves give the Preds an identity. I couldn't agree more. Poile wanted to get bigger, faster and more skilled. We definitely got bigger and faster. Our bottom six got more skilled with upgrades to Yip and Halischuk.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:02 PM
PFL615

Quote:
No I wasn't, but Colin Wilson was also drafted with certain expectations. Craig Smith, on the other hand, came out of obscurity after a couple of good seasons in the NCAA and a great WC. He came in, looked like he was legit, and then fell off again. Instead of getting back on the horse, he continued to play the same style of game that simply was not working for him until he lost minutes. We have Watson coming up behind him, Forsberg who will likely already be on the team along with Wilson, Beck and Bourque. Leipsic and Aberg look to be coming up in the next couple of years. Smith isn't suited to play a bottom six role, and his window to cement himself in the top six is closing with every game he is outplayed by some of the other young guys.

Offensive "skill" is but one piece of a good hockey player. He seems to be lacking some of the other pieces, and it takes away from his ability to use his skill. If he has a great camp, fine, but this is a discussion board. It's not like me saying "hey what do you guys think about sending Smith + a pick to Toronto for Franson" has any influence on reality whatsoever.
I disagree he has a spot on this team and needs to be given more than 8 min on a line with yip and clune before anyone can judge.

We will see what he does this year
year. I bet he is one of are best forwards.

Closed Thread