HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Flgatorguy87

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
So what does the line-up look like right now. Assuming of course that Gaustad is hurt....

Stalberg-Fisher-Wilson
Forsberg-Cullen-Honnvist
Beck-Legwand-Bourque
Clune-Hendricks-Nystrom

Weber-Josi
Klein-Jones
Bartley-Ekholm/Ellis

That's pretty solid and we have Spaling and Gaustad too when an injury happens.
Thank you!!!

Somebody please compare this to how we ended the season and tell me how this isn't an improvement. That's a hell of a team to play against every night.

Listening to people talk you'd think they were paying for these people out of there own pockets. If we can afford them, they make the team better, and they don't prevent other signings....then who cares!

Old
07-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flgatorguy87 View Post
Thank you!!!

Somebody please compare this to how we ended the season and tell me how this isn't an improvement. That's a hell of a team to play against every night.

Listening to people talk you'd think they were paying for these people out of there own pockets. If we can afford them, they make the team better, and they don't prevent other signings....then who cares!
With so many bottom players locked up for so many years, our young guys aren't going to have spots.

We are taking a shortcut. Look, we either need to tank to get the right players via draft and either develop them or trade them for immediate help. Or we need to offensive players. Right now we have more of the same.

We added depth. Great. We over paid for depth. Bad. We screwed our future. Bad. We didnt improve the offense. Bad. Overall. Bad.

Old
07-05-2013, 06:59 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Thank you!!!

They do prevent other signings. We're out of money and cap space after we sign Jones to his entry level contract.

I'm not mad like some just a little disappointed that the team is taking this familiar direction that previously led us nowhere. Maybe we'll have better luck this time?

Old
07-05-2013, 07:02 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Thank you!!!

Where is Craig Smith?

Old
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Where is Craig Smith?
I've been wondering the same thing since December 2011.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:18 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

For the first time in our history our salary payroll is higher than the cap ceiling, and, thus, our total cap hit.

Old
07-05-2013, 07:30 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
For the first time in our history our salary payroll is higher than the cap ceiling, and, thus, our total cap hit.
And the team looks like the Preds, 50 minutes of defensive hell. 10 of Rinne, offense by commitee

Old
07-05-2013, 07:33 PM
PFL615

Quote:
I've been wondering the same thing since December 2011.
Unless he is traded he is not going to be sitting with his contract..

Old
07-05-2013, 08:04 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
They do prevent other signings. We're out of money and cap space after we sign Jones to his entry level contract.

I'm not mad like some just a little disappointed that the team is taking this familiar direction that previously led us nowhere. Maybe we'll have better luck this time?
We have around 7mil left under the cap. I'd also like to know who we are going to sign that we need the space for?

To the comment about Smith and other youngsters...

I'm all for giving young guys space, but we also need to create competition for them. Smith has done very little to earn any semblance of a job.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:07 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

We don't have that much. If the NHL terminates SK's contract completely we will have just over $7m, but then we have to sign Jones to his ELC, which I'm sure will be bonus-heavy.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
We have around 7mil left under the cap. I'd also like to know who we are going to sign that we need the space for?

To the comment about Smith and other youngsters...

I'm all for giving young guys space, but we also need to create competition for them. Smith has done very little to earn any semblance of a job.
Where did you get $7m? It's way less than that.

Also didn't Poile say he's done making signings?

Old
07-05-2013, 08:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I think Flgator was adding in SK's $3m to the $4m we have left right now, but not taking away the money Jones will be getting.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Flgatorguy87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Where did you get $7m? It's way less than that.

Also didn't Poile say he's done making signings?

Poile said that, but I'm curious to know who we need space for.

Cap numbers were based of a tweet I saw today. May not be correct, but my point is...

Its great to talk about signing players, but what if those players don't want to play here, well I'd probably devise a well thought out plan of specific players that do a few things very well to create a balanced team of players who want to play for us. Then I would continue to play to my strengths of defense and goaltending.

I just get tired of the same overreactions by fans especially in the middle of the summer. We have had a great run of playoffs with a team very similar to the makeup of this one. Lets give this a chance.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
Webersmashpuck

I have been keeping an eye on the signings all day. I was excited for Stalberg, meh about Cullen, pissed about Nystrom and completely numb to Hendricks.

I thought about the line up and it may be the toughest team to play against. Playing against Nystrom - Gaustad/Hendricks - Clune would be terrible no matter who you were. All guys are gritty and will hit, but are defensively responsible and not completely inept in the offensive zone.

We have also go some heart back on this team. At the very least it will be a fun season, if we suck then I will blame Poile. If we improve greatly then he should be praised for bold moves that no one else would have done.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:28 AM
PredsV82
Cotton Candy!

vCash: 130
We need to let the shell-shock of yesterday wear off... I mean, really... when has "Stand Pat Poile" ever signed 5 free agents in one day?? I dont know if he even did that when we were an expansion team putting together our first roster

So after a few hours sleep, the first comment is that anyone who thought Poile and ownership would be complacent after the worst season in Preds history are flat out wrong... you may not agree with the moves he made, but he certainly wasnt passive

Second, what I remember us doing most summers is looking around at our division opponents and wailing about all the moves they made while we did nothing... well, looks like maybe this year, other than Dallas, they may be the ones saying "look what the Preds did! we better signs somebody/anybody NOWZOMGWESUCK"

looking at who we will be fighting for playoff positions next year, I see Minnesota shed several players(including Cullen) and only added Matt Cooke... St Louis signed 3 players for essentialy league minimum plus Maxim Lapierrier... Colorado looks like they only made a few depth signings(nobody over 900k)... and as best as I can tell, Winnepeg didnt sign anyone other than their own people.

and Dallas, while they did make the blockbuster trade, gave up almost as much as they got, and the only free agent they signed yesterday was #danellisproblems.

so after all the previous summers with everyone screaming "everyone else is signing people we better sign someone because they have all passed us" now we are probably the ones being talked about.

and a final note... remember, its not your money... so dont sweat the contracts... the only way they would matter is if having them kept us from signing a high dollar talent at some point... until then, simply judge the acquisitions by what they bring to the team, not what they cost..

Old
07-06-2013, 09:03 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Clune-Hendricks-Nystrom

That will not be a fun line to play against

Old
07-06-2013, 10:02 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

if you look at our conference this far:

Chicago has lost 3 guys and have the talent in the minors to replace them. I do expect them to sign a vet forward at some point. They are the class of the conference. Losing Emery will hurt some too I would think. He was very good for them.

St. Louis has added a couple of depth guys. They are banking on Tarensenko and their other kids to keep growing and develop. Still big and nasty. But they have a few holes. I would expect them to add another bottom sixer

Winnepeg-i have a bad feeling for them, coming west. welcome to checkville.

Colorado-no defence, no chance to compete.

Minnesota-they lost Cullen and now setoguchi, but Charlie Coyle and Granlund will make up for that. They are probably the 2nd most talented team/organization in this conference.

Dallas-I think they got worse with the Eriksson-seguin trade, but will probably be better long term. I am rooting for seguin to turn into legwand 2.0 now. peverly is what he is and people here like his game or hate it. I still think he is trash. Horcoff isn't really gonna help them too much and their d-corp isn't the greatest in the world either.

I think we are in position to battle STL for the 3 spot and maybe Minnesota for the 2. I don't think Chicago has the cup hangover, and should come in healthy. will be fun

Old
07-06-2013, 10:14 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Ok, my question is can the Preds get into the top 5 of the division?

Yes, they are better than COL, WPG, and DAL.

Are the Preds better than 1 more teams to get into the top 3 of the division?

Maybe,

MIN

which leaves CHI and STL.

As is, this is a playoff team. But I wish it was better

Old
07-06-2013, 10:19 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
and a final note... remember, its not your money... so dont sweat the contracts... the only way they would matter is if having them kept us from signing a high dollar talent at some point... until then, simply judge the acquisitions by what they bring to the team, not what they cost..
QFT

Until we are prevented from a player due to money, it truly doesn't matter.

07-06-2013, 11:27 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Well, digesting it all and sleeping on it......

We may not have gotten the top 3 F we all wanted, but we're a much better team than we were last year. We will be HARD to play against; we will not see our better players (horny and wilson as examples) just thrown around with impunity. Unless Fish and Leggy decline drastically, our top 6 is better - assuming FF and/or Beck make this team - they are obviously in growth mode, Wilson is still on the upswing, as is Bourque. Cullen adds O to the third. We may not have a guy that replaces Marty, but the net upgrades more than covers it.

Not sure I like the contracts, but as others have said, until they keep us from signing someone they don't matter. I look at the FA signings for the kinda' guys we'd be wanting and not sure I like most of those contracts, either. Personally thought we didn't need to sign both Nystrom and Hendricks but it may just mean we're parting ways with Spals, or possibly GMDP is gonna' package a few guys for something.

We got depth, we got some competition for spots, and the kids will earn there way onto the roster rather than be given the spots - that may not lead to huge improvement in standings this year but it improves our health a bunch as a competitive franchise.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Poile saw more holes on the team than we did, and that isn't surprising as he is a veteran NHL GM and we are incredibly bias, hopeful fans wanting to see major moves made.

The rest of the summer is going to be very interesting with a glaring hole still left in the top six (unless we are expecting Wilson, Forsberg, Beck and Bourque to complement Hornqvist, Fisher and Legwand/Cullen). Our bottom six is set, though we have some redundant pieces now. Lots of competition to watch at camp.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:40 PM
Mercalius

Quote:
Poile saw more holes on the team than we did, and that isn't surprising as he is a veteran NHL GM and we are incredibly bias, hopeful fans wanting to see major moves made.

The rest of the summer is going to be very interesting with a glaring hole still left in the top six (unless we are expecting Wilson, Forsberg, Beck and Bourque to complement Hornqvist, Fisher and Legwand/Cullen). Our bottom six is set, though we have some redundant pieces now. Lots of competition to watch at camp.
How crazy would we all collectively go if we did somehow move enough pieces to land a Lucic or a Vanek?

Cats living with dogs, I tells' ya.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:52 PM
PredsV82
Cotton Candy!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
if you look at our conference this far:

Chicago has lost 3 guys and have the talent in the minors to replace them. I do expect them to sign a vet forward at some point. They are the class of the conference. Losing Emery will hurt some too I would think. He was very good for them.

St. Louis has added a couple of depth guys. They are banking on Tarensenko and their other kids to keep growing and develop. Still big and nasty. But they have a few holes. I would expect them to add another bottom sixer

Winnepeg-i have a bad feeling for them, coming west. welcome to checkville.

Colorado-no defence, no chance to compete.

Minnesota-they lost Cullen and now setoguchi, but Charlie Coyle and Granlund will make up for that. They are probably the 2nd most talented team/organization in this conference.

Dallas-I think they got worse with the Eriksson-seguin trade, but will probably be better long term. I am rooting for seguin to turn into legwand 2.0 now. peverly is what he is and people here like his game or hate it. I still think he is trash. Horcoff isn't really gonna help them too much and their d-corp isn't the greatest in the world either.

I think we are in position to battle STL for the 3 spot and maybe Minnesota for the 2. I don't think Chicago has the cup hangover, and should come in healthy. will be fun
im not buying Minnesota as the #2 in our division... I think 2-5 is going to be a typical western conference dog pile and there may not be 4 points between 2nd and 5th at the end of the season. I think it will all hinge on injuries...

Old
07-06-2013, 01:05 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Chicago yes, Emery hurts but Crawford is still there.

STL added Max Lapierre added Aucoin....not much else.

MINN you should be glad they bolstered their defense with Ballard because they don't really have the dmen to play d.....right?

WPG May god be with them because no one else will.

COL See WPG

DAL The big Seguin trade.....yeah that's it so far.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:02 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

I dont think we should discount Minnesota s farm while hoping kids from ours are gonnaput us over. Guys like brodin and coyle are gonna get better, and dumba could make the team. They are set up well

Closed Thread