HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Now that the roster is set, lets inventory F1 F2 F3s

Old
07-05-2013, 07:52 PM
SJeasy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockfan1991 View Post
So do which one do you see in the top 6 Kennedy or wingels. I see no other option if we plan on having 3 decent scoring lines
Kennedy. He has an edge on Wingels in scoring. Wingels is a better F1 than Kennedy.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:59 PM
hockfan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
Kennedy. He has an edge on Wingels in scoring. Wingels is a better F1 than Kennedy.
So we got pavs wingels Torres as third line. Marleau couture and burns Thornton . Hertl and Kennedy will occupy the other 2 slots in top 6

hockfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Negatively Positive
Save us Tomas!

vCash: 628
Quote:
So we got pavs wingels Torres as third line. Marleau couture and burns Thornton . Hertl and Kennedy will occupy the other 2 slots in top 6
Most likely yes.

Negatively Positive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:11 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Yeah.

I think he will go pairs where he doesn't move them apart much.

JT/Burns
Marleau/Couture
Torres/Pavs

He will probably do shifting around those base pairs for the most part unless the Sharks have extreme difficulty. He might move Pavs into top 6 if the Sharks are down a goal in the third. I made my guesses based on fits for the other members of each line. IMO, the RW on the Pavs line is not going to score much.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:18 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
If Wingels is indeed better than Kennedy as an F1, that line is going to have problems one way or the other because neither are as good as Galiardi and that line clicked in part because of his effective fore-checking. It's going to make it that much harder for Thornton to pick off those pucks if Wingels or Kennedy or Torres whoever it may be is not winning those battles and races.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:20 PM
do0glas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
If Wingels is indeed better than Kennedy as an F1, that line is going to have problems one way or the other because neither are as good as Galiardi and that line clicked in part because of his effective fore-checking. It's going to make it that much harder for Thornton to pick off those pucks if Wingels or Kennedy or Torres whoever it may be is not winning those battles and races.
you dont have to win a race to be an effective F1. torres and wingels will likely focus on separating body from puck and letting thornton get it on his own, since hes not really slow persay.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:28 PM
SJeasy

Quote:
Galiardi wasn't winning races to pucks and he wasn't tipping it well when he did win. Burns was winning races. Galiardi looked more like an F2 albeit not a good one.

Old
07-05-2013, 08:33 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Galiardi wasn't winning races to pucks and he wasn't tipping it well when he did win. Burns was winning races. Galiardi looked more like an F2 albeit not a good one.
Okay I thought I was the only one who thought this. Galiardi never seemed overly speedy to me, but he was billed as such by the press, management and subsequently a lot of folks here.

He actually seemed like a pretty poor skater in general. Probably affects is ability to make plays as he was always falling over himself.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:41 PM
do0glas

Quote:
i do remember burns being first in quite often, and if true i think it definitely sheds more light on the trade.

i honestly cant recall enough to comment. just dont think his forechecking was that great.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by do0glas View Post
you dont have to win a race to be an effective F1. torres and wingels will likely focus on separating body from puck and letting thornton get it on his own, since hes not really slow persay.
You don't have to win races all the time to be effective but if you're losing a vast majority of races and 50-50 pucks, you're not an effective F1. Wingels has not shown to be a good F1 in my opinion. If their strategy as F1's is to separate the man from the puck rather than get in after the puck, they're playing from behind imo.

Quote:
Burns was not really playing like anything that we define as F1, 2, or 3 because he was just everywhere all the time. Galiardi wasn't winning a lot of races but he was winning more than the other depth guys. His puck play is poor which was the drawback but with Burns crashing hard as well at times or Thornton supporting, that was covered up to a large extent. Relying on Burns to be an F1 is probably not a good idea because even though he wins races, he's all over the place to where there is an obvious lack of focus on a role and a lot of it was his speed creating some luck for himself rather than anticipating or being where he is supposed to be. Burns as an F3 lets him utilize his talents the best for what he's being complimented by.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:52 PM
Kitten Mittons

Are we the only board that discusses F1/2/3's? I've never seen it outside of here.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

vCash: 157
What's a F1/F2/F3?

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
What's a F1/F2/F3?
It basically means who the best forward on each line is.

/s

Old
07-06-2013, 12:55 AM
dwood16

Quote:
You don't have to win races all the time to be effective but if you're losing a vast majority of races and 50-50 pucks, you're not an effective F1. Wingels has not shown to be a good F1 in my opinion. If their strategy as F1's is to separate the man from the puck rather than get in after the puck, they're playing from behind imo.

Burns was not really playing like anything that we define as F1, 2, or 3 because he was just everywhere all the time. Galiardi wasn't winning a lot of races but he was winning more than the other depth guys. His puck play is poor which was the drawback but with Burns crashing hard as well at times or Thornton supporting, that was covered up to a large extent. Relying on Burns to be an F1 is probably not a good idea because even though he wins races, he's all over the place to where there is an obvious lack of focus on a role and a lot of it was his speed creating some luck for himself rather than anticipating or being where he is supposed to be. Burns as an F3 lets him utilize his talents the best for what he's being complimented by.
Burns seems like the perfect f1 to me ....and he showed it this past season at times. Let him wreak havoc.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:23 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood16 View Post
Burns seems like the perfect f1 to me ....and he showed it this past season at times. Let him wreak havoc.
He is a good F1 but it's going to put him out of scoring position and then you'll have people complaining about his production due to it.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:23 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Are we the only board that discusses F1/2/3's? I've never seen it outside of here.
It's gone from something Easy started mentioning to a religion in a matter of months. Does make enough sense though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii View Post
What's a F1/F2/F3?
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...5&postcount=20

Old
07-06-2013, 01:25 AM
SJFanQC

Quote:
I've tried looking at other boards' opinions of what their potential line combos might be, and it's quite tough in general, so never mind F1 F2 F3s...

SJFanQC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:43 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
It's gone from something Easy started mentioning to a religion in a matter of months. Does make enough sense though.
Yea Easy has too much influence around here. I cringe every time I see someone say "by eye test." Sounds so snobby (not coming from Easy but from the board's "gurus").

Old
07-06-2013, 02:27 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Yea Easy has too much influence around here. I cringe every time I see someone say "by eye test." Sounds so snobby (not coming from Easy but from the board's "gurus").
And I cringe every time posters point to stats (both corsi and advanced) as the end-all-be-all of player effectiveness.

OrrNumber4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:33 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
LOL!! No ****...

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:33 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

I do think having people like Easy and Jux, who use statistics and such to go deeper into the game helps the entire fanbase become more intelligent and informed.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:34 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrNumber4 View Post
And I cringe every time posters point to stats (both corsi and advanced) as the end-all-be-all of player effectiveness.
And another great post... could rationality take root here? Hmm...

Old
07-06-2013, 02:35 AM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

Quote:
He's convincing because he's never trying to convince you of anything. Just waves the hand and tells you those aren't the stats you are looking for. Impressive.

My only problem with the concept is that it's all a bit presumptuous. The reality is if your best players can't do most of these things, they won't be successful. And if it spreads the lineup too thin, you get four lines that can't score.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:36 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I do think having people like Easy and Jux, who use statistics and such to go deeper into the game helps the entire fanbase become more intelligent and informed.
Yes it's good to have that although jux references real numbers while sometimes Easy references data apparently he's only ever seen. Still there is an obvious limit though...

Old
07-06-2013, 02:44 AM
Kitten Mittons

Les was using stats too, no?