HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2013, 07:39 PM
  #426
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 11,325
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
Whale hunting.........they never change

Owner may not let Mr 6 Rings out in public much any more but he is still calling the shots from behind the curtain. Mactavish is no more in control than Tambellini but gives better PC.

So far Joe Fan has swallowed the fantasy that Mactavish represents change and some unknown factor is stopping UFA from signing here. It's not weather or distance or the city - it's primarily how poorly Oiler management is thought of by players and agents. Character players with options simply don't want to be associated with those guys. So that leaves the old, lame and greedy seeking an overpay (describes 90% of Oiler UFA signings the past decade).


As much as I hate whale hunting, we're at the point where we need to reach the next level. Like the Hawks signing Hossa for a lengthy contract. Now, Clarkson is not who I would have preferred.

But it's ridiculous how people around here damn MacT for doing something, and then doing nothing.

But, you know, Lowe's prints are all over this because... Well, we say he is, so it must be true,.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:47 PM
  #427
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post


As much as I hate whale hunting, we're at the point where we need to reach the next level. Like the Hawks signing Hossa for a lengthy contract. Now, Clarkson is not who I would have preferred.

But it's ridiculous how people around here damn MacT for doing something, and then doing nothing.

But, you know, Lowe's prints are all over this because... Well, we say he is, so it must be true,.
Really, it's just grasping for tinfoil and conspiracy theories which don't exist.

I would of LOVED Clarkson. I said that, but even if we did, MacT would of been crucified. Not surprising that he is being burned at the stake for not whale hunting.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
  #428
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
Whale hunting.........they never change

Owner may not let Mr 6 Rings out in public much any more but he is still calling the shots from behind the curtain. Mactavish is no more in control than Tambellini but gives better PC.

So far Joe Fan has swallowed the fantasy that Mactavish represents change and some unknown factor is stopping UFA from signing here. It's not weather or distance or the city - it's primarily how poorly Oiler management is thought of by players and agents. Character players with options simply don't want to be associated with those guys. So that leaves the old, lame and greedy seeking an overpay (describes 90% of Oiler UFA signings the past decade).
This is a new, and interesting concept that I have never heard before.

Show me proof. Actual Proof that Lowe controls everything. I don't want speculation or opinion. Provide facts. I'll be waiting.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:16 PM
  #429
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,409
vCash: 500
PATRICK WILLIAMS ‏@pwilliamsNHL
I wasn't sure sure what to expect with MacTavish, but what a start to his tenure in Edmonton. Eakins, Belov, and good, solid FA moves

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:29 PM
  #430
Enlighten
Registered User
 
Enlighten's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
so far I say Mac T is doing a great job IMO. We still have a ways to go but as of today.
We now have 2 or 3 top 4 d men.
Have unloaded the unmovable contract. when many other teams wre forced to compliance buyout theirs.
Acquired two solid veterans for our young players to learn what it takes to win.
Added a coach that many consider to be the next Babcock.
Dissolved the Belanger triangle.
We're not a playoff team yet but I say we only need a couple more pieces to challenge for a spot next year.
Lots of time left till TC I like our team better today then yesterday I can tell you that much.

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:35 PM
  #431
Sheikyerbouti
Registered User
 
Sheikyerbouti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith
As much as I hate whale hunting, we're at the point where we need to reach the next level. Like the Hawks signing Hossa for a lengthy contract. Now, Clarkson is not who I would have preferred.
Agreed, the team needs change. I'd prefer not to hand out a long term contract until the core has set a salary structure, but everyone complaining today about people being overpaid is crazy. It's not our money; short-term we can overpay like fools. I wish we'd overpaid for more players, we need tons of them.

Schneider being a poor target boils down to philosophy. Are goaltenders worth an asset like the 7OV? I disagree because they are streaky except for a few.

Everyone on the forum should have wanted Clarkson, but seven years is reckless unless you are a team without limits like the TOML. Not for us, but i wouldn't have cared if we signed him for 7 million if it was two years.


All the contracts signed today by the Oilers were value contracts imo, slight overpay on term with Ference and salary on Gordon and Labarbera. Who cares?

That said, on a whole, we all need to be more critical

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:40 PM
  #432
Njoy Oilers
Registered User
 
Njoy Oilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Alberta.
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
Njoy Oilers. I searched up Njoy. Does your name refer to sex toys, computer hardware, or electronic cigarettes?

You would have been better to use the

Stick to topic *******

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:44 PM
  #433
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,312
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Catface View Post
Everyone still can act like this is NHL 13, where if you try and sign a guy, he just signs with you.
Columbus of all teams is turning things around.

Are you saying it cant be done?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:52 PM
  #434
Everest
Registered User
 
Everest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 10,392
vCash: 500
So, Mac-Bold spent about 8-ish million today.

Didn't get Clarkson...but...we did 'OK'.

Still plenty of cap room and we still have the Hemsky card to play at some point.

This all seems to feel more more like a "plan" is transpiring than it ever did under Tambellini.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
  #435
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,312
vCash: 7000
Toronto and Columbus have something in common. They both made major moves to change the makeup of their teams. Columbus did it two years in a row. They reached a point where status quo became unacceptable. Piddling around with depth signings wasnt going to get them where they wanted to be. Curly Mcboldy is going to have to figure that out. Or maybe Katz has them on an internal budget? When was the last time we were even close to being a cap team? How many other teams would have mundane business as usual draft/ufa days after seven consecutive failed seasons? Mact seemed to indicate this was the year things were going to be different with the bold moves talk.

So far Ive seen none of it. Which moves could be considered bold? Dallas and Boston made bold moves. Toronto, Ottawa, Anaheim, New Jersey, LA, Minnesota and Vancouver made bold moves as well. That's a third of the league. But no, not us. We'll trade down in the draft and make our ho hum largely insignificant ufa signings just like every year.

Its beyond belief. Jim Nill, Dave Nonis and the new Finnish gm from Columbus have stolen the show. These guys are getting **** done in a big way. The thought of us even competing for the playoffs next year is already a foregone conclusion. The fans deserve better. **** Daryl Katz. Cheap ****ing nepotist ****.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
  #436
Verdadero
Rookie User
 
Verdadero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
This is a new, and interesting concept that I have never heard before.

Show me proof. Actual Proof that Lowe controls everything. I don't want speculation or opinion. Provide facts. I'll be waiting.
Ever heard of these things called org charts? New idea that shows everyone who their boss is

Seems like on the Oilers version of the org chart, Mactavish's boss is......wait for it..........Kevin Lowe, President of Hockey Operations. He hired Mactavish and he'll tell him what to do, what to think, or when to go get the boys coffee if he feels like it. No different than Tambellini which may explain the results.

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:08 PM
  #437
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
Ever heard of these things called org charts? New idea that shows everyone who their boss is

Seems like on the Oilers version of the org chart, Mactavish's boss is......wait for it..........Kevin Lowe, President of Hockey Operations. He hired Mactavish and he'll tell him what to do or go get the boys coffee if he feels like it.
Okay. Of course we know that first part.

So show me where Kevin Lowe tells MacT who to acquire and who not to acquire.

Again. Provide proof. Not speculation. Not opinion. Proof.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
  #438
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Toronto and Columbus have something in common. They both made major moves to change the makeup of their teams. Columbus did it two years in a row. They reached a point where status quo became unacceptable. Piddling around with depth signings wasnt going to get them where they wanted to be. Curly Mcboldy is going to have to figure that out. Or maybe Katz has them on an internal budget? When was the last time we were even close to being a cap team? How many other teams would have mundane business as usual draft/ufa days after seven consecutive failed seasons? Mact seemed to indicate this was the year things were going to be different with the bold moves talk.

So far Ive seen none of it. Which moves could be considered bold? Dallas and Boston made bold moves. Toronto, Ottawa, Anaheim, New Jersey, LA, Minnesota and Vancouver made bold moves as well. That's a third of the league. But no, not us. We'll trade down in the draft and make our ho hum largely insignificant ufa signings just like every year.

Its beyond belief. Jim Nill, Dave Nonis and the new Finnish gm from Columbus have stolen the show. These guys are getting **** done in a big way. The thought of us even competing for the playoffs next year is already a foregone conclusion. The fans deserve better. **** Daryl Katz. Cheap ****ing nepotist ****.
But Columbus doesn't have Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and Schultz. They needed to make moves to pick up high end players.

Other than a 2nd line LW, the Oilers already have the skill they need, they're looking to fill the holes with experience now.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:23 PM
  #439
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,312
vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
But Columbus doesn't have Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and Schultz. They needed to make moves to pick up high end players.

Other than a 2nd line LW, the Oilers already have the skill they need, they're looking to fill the holes with experience now.
Columbus was a basement do nothing go nowhere team for years. They have found a way to compete, improve and are a playoff contender and are able to attract the top free agents.

Contrast that with what we are and what we have been doing.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:24 PM
  #440
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
But Columbus doesn't have Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov and Schultz. They needed to make moves to pick up high end players.

Other than a 2nd line LW, the Oilers already have the skill they need, they're looking to fill the holes with experience now.
I think people who want the bold moves, would honestly want one of the core pieces to be traded.

Which would be very dumb.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:25 PM
  #441
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,188
vCash: 500
I can understand the frustration by some, but I don't really see what the Oilers could do. I look at the trades for Eriksson, Seguin and others and don't see this team in on any of those, unless they wanted to trade one of the Big 5. I don't endorse that. I'm terrified of that.

There are no quick fixes for this team. There's the gradual process of development of the star talent we already have on the roster.

Trying to go BOLD in free agency is stupid. Toronto, Columbus, today they were stupid. Dallas... the jury's out, but considering how happy 90% of our fanbase is to simply dump Horcoff's contract and locker-room presence, and how convinced we were (and people in the media) we'd have to retain some salary to move him, there's something a little questionable about Jim Nill's moves too (though overall, they make sense to me).

This team has a potential all-star starting line-up. Now is not the time to get yourself into Cap Hell with a David Clarkson, especially considering the new CBA means you can't get away from these contracts as easily as you could in the past. I am not heartened by the fact that the Oilers were apparently offering a dumber contract, but I'm glad they were saved by their own stupidity.

Some teams are going to be very, very, very sorry as soon as a year from now.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:28 PM
  #442
JonQuixote
Registered User
 
JonQuixote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,188
vCash: 500
I really wish we added Khudobin though. I don't get how we wound up paying more for Labarbera than him. Locker-room presence aside, there's no upside to Labarbera - just a best case scenario of competence.

I would have been willing to double Khudobin's salary he got from the Canes, especially considering all our cap space. I don't get it.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:30 PM
  #443
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!
 
Powder's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Columbus was a basement do nothing go nowhere team for years. They have found a way to compete, improve and are a playoff contender and are able to attract the top free agents.

Contrast that with what we are and what we have been doing.
Exactly, they're the opposite of the Oilers. They already had the energy pieces they just hadn't come together yet as a team.

Now that they have, players are staring to take notice.

And it doesn't hurt for players like Horton who want to go play somewhere that nobody cares about hockey.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
  #444
Verdadero
Rookie User
 
Verdadero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 28
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Okay. Of course we know that first part.

So show me where Kevin Lowe tells MacT who to acquire and who not to acquire.

Again. Provide proof. Not speculation. Not opinion. Proof.
I'm not your errand boy - go use Mr Google yourself to find all the evidence you need that the Oilers have attempted to implement (very unsuccessfully) a collaborative management team model similar to Detroit's. It's common knowledge. Kevin Lowe is the President of Hockey Ops and has final word on all major hockey-related decisions. That is his job and everyone knows he's involved in any significant pro-level trade or high draft pick.

To think otherwise buys into the fantasy spun by Oilers PR that Mactavish represents change, it was all Tambellini's fault, and Lowe is not in control of the organization in spite of his job title that states EXACTLY that.

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:33 PM
  #445
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
I'm not your errand boy - go use Mr Google yourself to find all the evidence you need that the Oilers have attempted to implement (very unsuccessfully) a collaborative management team model similar to Detroit's. It's common knowledge. Kevin Lowe is the President of Hockey Ops and has final word on all major hockey-related decisions. That is his job and everyone knows he's involved in any significant pro-level trade or high draft pick.

To think otherwise buys into the fantasy spun by Oilers PR that Mactavish represents change, it was all Tambellini's fault, and Lowe is not in control of the organization in spite of his job title that states EXACTLY that.
To think other wise buys into the fantasy.



I am asking for a direct way where Kevin Lowe was being the dastardly puppet master. You still have not provided a single instance.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:41 PM
  #446
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,974
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
I'm not your errand boy - go use Mr Google yourself to find all the evidence you need that the Oilers have attempted to implement (very unsuccessfully) a collaborative management team model similar to Detroit's. It's common knowledge. Kevin Lowe is the President of Hockey Ops and has final word on all major hockey-related decisions. That is his job and everyone knows he's involved in any significant pro-level trade or high draft pick.

To think otherwise buys into the fantasy spun by Oilers PR that Mactavish represents change, it was all Tambellini's fault, and Lowe is not in control of the organization in spite of his job title that states EXACTLY that.
So basically what you're saying is you can't back up your claims

__________________
"The Sabres think the suck is their ally? They merely adopted the suck. The Oilers were born in it...molded by it" - dnicks17
The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:42 PM
  #447
SchultzSquared
Registered User
 
SchultzSquared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Toronto and Columbus have something in common. They both made major moves to change the makeup of their teams.
Uh... yeah because we would be better off spending $5.3M on Horton... or $5M on Clarkson...

Bold does not mean stupid... you and Replacement want MacT to do stupid...

Today was a great start but there is still lots to do... pretty sure MacT knows this better than a couple guys on a forum... we need to add a LW a C a RW and a top four D for me to be totally happy...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
?-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-?-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-?
Brown Smyth

Smid-J. Schultz
?-Petry
Ference-Klebom/Belov/Marincin/Nurse
Potter

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

So yes lots of holes... but lots of guys still... Jones I think knows he is not hot **** now... sould sign easy and he and Gordon would make for great fourth line... we probably get him cheap so say $1.3M... Lombardi would be great fit here... very speedy... I think he gets not much attention here... lots of good Cs left... so budget signing at $2.5M a year for two years... then Hainsey... think he could break out here with decent ice time... $3.5M for two years... LW will be tough since we missed the good guys... but did anyone else know Grabo is a LW also a C... I think he could be a good fit on the wing... and also cheaper... $4M... bonus there is he can be 2C for first month while RNH is out...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Grabovski-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Lombardi-Hemsky
Joensuu-Gordon-Jones

Smid-J. Schultz
Hainsey-Petry
Ference-Klefbom/Belov/Marincin/Nurse
Potter

Dubnyk
LaBarbera

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:43 PM
  #448
Kestrel
Registered User
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
I'm not your errand boy - go use Mr Google yourself to find all the evidence
Onus is generally on the person making the outlandish claims. And "Everybody knows" isn't evidence.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:45 PM
  #449
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
 
syz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest View Post
So, Mac-Bold spent about 8-ish million today.

Didn't get Clarkson...but...we did 'OK'.

Still plenty of cap room and we still have the Hemsky card to play at some point.

This all seems to feel more more like a "plan" is transpiring than it ever did under Tambellini.
It feels more like MacTavish had a plan... and it failed. It involved drafting a centre and signing Clarkson.

Now he's just forced to make offers to Jones and let Lander have 4th line C duty.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:49 PM
  #450
Sheikyerbouti
Registered User
 
Sheikyerbouti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Now you have to resort to insults because you can't back up your claims.

To think other wise buys into the fantasy.



I am asking for a direct way where Kevin Lowe was being the dastardly puppet master. You still have not provided a single instance.
When katz bought the team they said they wanted to bring more people on board to mirror Detroit's executive model.

Lowe hired Tamby

Lowe hired MacT and Howson,

There is a documentary called "oil change" where Lowe follows Tamby around the world

Since Mact's hiring he has followed him around as well - Howson has stayed home to run operations.

It's not a conspiracy to think the President is above the manager. He is, but on day-to-day operations he is more of a consultant, and the only person reporting to the owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IATL
Curly Mcboldy
lmao

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.