HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Funny how everyone but some "Preds" fans like what happened today.
You gotta think for yourself and not swallow whatever the media feeds you. Everyone is free to have their own opinion. I would honestly trust the opinions of some of the long time posters here than some talking head on TV.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:09 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I don't see how he is going to get more time on our roster. We have a glut of centers now, so he will be playing wing. We have Hornqvist, Wilson, Forsberg, Bourque, Beck and Stalberg playing wing on the top 9. If Bourque falters, which I don't expect, or Beck doesn't live up to his potential, which is very much possible, he will get a shot. Otherwise, he's going to be spending a lot of time in the press box.

That is unless he has a killer camp. He needs to be training his ass off all summer. He needs to get stronger, too.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-05-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old
07-05-2013, 09:09 PM
PFL615

Hum, you referring to the same ones who cannot see the forest through the trees and complain and moan no matter what happens? No thanks.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
You gotta think for yourself and not swallow whatever the media feeds you. Everyone is free to have their own opinion. I would honestly trust the opinions of some of the long time posters here than some talking head on TV.
How about the Talking Head that tweeted the Preds were doomed for years to come? Good grief.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:12 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't see how he is going to get more time on our roster. We have a glut of centers now, so he will be playing wing. We have Hornqvist, Wilson, Forsberg, Bourque, Beck and Stalberg playing wing on the top 9. If Bourque falters, which I don't expect, or Beck doesn't live up to his potential, which is very much possible, he will get a shot. Otherwise, he's going to be spending a lot of time in the press box.

That is, unless he has a killer camp. He needs to be training his ass off all summer. He needs to get stronger, too.
I agree competition is healthy and guys like Smith, Wilson, Beck, and etc need that. It was mentioned today by Poile that the moves today give competition and flexibility to compete.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I'm cool with the moves in general. Stalberg is the best one, and the best deal. Nystrom is overpaid, as are Hendricks and Cullen. Cullen is probably the next best pick up, but I like the upgrades to our fourth line.

With that said, some of those media figures know what they're talking about.

Old
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
How about the Talking Head that tweeted the Preds were doomed for years to come? Good grief.
Who was that?

Old
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Who was that?
Dave Lozo.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Jubal

A lot of long time posters for other teams were sad to see them go.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I'm cool with the moves in general. Stalberg is the best one, and the best deal. Nystrom is overpaid, as are Hendricks and Cullen. Cullen is probably the next best pick up, but I like the upgrades to our fourth line.

We did overpay a bit on Nystrom and Hendricks, but somewhere to the tune of $1.5M-$2M a year really. And when the cap goes up, and with Gaustad's contract up in 2 (or maybe he'll get traded? ), it's not going to be a huge deal in the scheme of things. Cullen's contract is fine for a 3rd line center who will give some offensive production, play on the PP, and is only signed on for 2 years.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
Dave Lozo.
That guy is a clown. I don't even waste my time reading his garbage.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
We did overpay a bit on Nystrom and Hendricks, but somewhere to the tune of $1.5M-$2M a year really. And when the cap goes up, and with Gaustad's contract up in 2 (or maybe he'll get traded? ), it's not going to be a huge deal in the scheme of things. Cullen's contract is fine for a 3rd line center who will give some offensive production, play on the PP, and is only signed on for 2 years.
I don't think he is severely overpaid or anything. I just think for a third line center who is probably going to put up similar numbers to Legwand or Fisher he is getting more than he should. However, it's free agency. That's how it works, and it's a short term contract. If he was signed for anything longer than two years, at 36 years old, I wouldn't be nearly as pleased with it as I am. All in all this is the best free agency we've had in a while, and it's only the first day. We can still make trades to clear space, and possibly pick up another player or two.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
That guy is a clown. I don't even waste my time reading his garbage.
Nod. It just seems a cycle with a section of these 'nantional' writers to take aim at the Preds and unload on them.

Wonder how many will note that the Preds are spending close to the cap now?

Old
07-05-2013, 09:23 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:

Poile set out with a plan in mind and accomplished it. And you know what? Good for him. He had a good day.

I just disagree with the direction he's going. I'd like to see a more balanced approach, rather than a pure grind it out style.

There's no doubt in my mind that we're a better team and will sniff a playoff spot, but are we on the way to being a contender? I guess we'll see.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
I don't think he is severely overpaid or anything. I just think for a third line center who is probably going to put up similar numbers to Legwand or Fisher he is getting more than he should. However, it's free agency. That's how it works, and it's a short term contract. If he was signed for anything longer than two years, at 36 years old, I wouldn't be nearly as pleased with it as I am. All in all this is the best free agency we've had in a while, and it's only the first day. We can still make trades to clear space, and possibly pick up another player or two.
Well, and you have to think Smith, Spaling, or Gaustad are going to be moved, as they would be the odd men out after today. I guess a lot will depend on whether Poile is expecting Forsberg and Beck to make the team out of camp, and how regular a player Clune is going to be. At the least, assuming Forsberg and Beck are penciled in, at least one of those three is gone.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:32 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Well, and you have to think Smith, Spaling, or Gaustad are going to be moved, as they would be the odd men out after today. I guess a lot will depend on whether Poile is expecting Forsberg and Beck to make the team out of camp, and how regular a player Clune is going to be. At the least, assuming Forsberg and Beck are penciled in, at least one of those three is gone.
I think it's a very realistic scenario that Forsberg starts the year in Milwaukee. We'll see what happens. I agree there's got to be a move coming.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
A lot of long time posters for other teams were sad to see them go.
That's usually a good sign. If some of these role players aren't providing a certain skill level, I hope they supply max effort and energy. After reading about guys like Nystrom and Hendricks, it appears as though that's indeed the case with them. Still don't like the price, which made me a little sour towards those two as players, but I may come around after a few games.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:46 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Camp this year is going to be very interesting. A lot of story lines.

Competition among young forwards fighting for top six/nine playing time.

Competition among younger goalies for the NHL back up gig.

Seth Jones and what he brings to the ice.

Vets who are new to the Preds, bringing a lot of grit with them as well.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:00 PM
theTooth

We are have 7 guys paid more than 1 million per year, none of which have reached the 20 goal mark in recent history....for a grand total of 20 million dollars.

David Legwand 4,500,000
Matt Cullen 3,500,000
Paul Gaustad 3,250,000
Eric Nystrom 2,500,000
Craig Smith 2,000,000
Colin Wilson 2,000,000
Matt Hendricks 1,850,000

Wonder how this would compare to other teams? We are spending money - looks like we are 9th in payroll. If you assume your top 2 lines should mostly be 20 goal plus guys - we have a pretty expensive bottom 2 lines (for us anyway). Given that Pekka and Weber are 25% of our payroll, doesn't seem like we could afford that. Poile did cite Cullen as part of the answer to our scoring woes. Matt Cullen.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:20 PM
jhaf1210

Gotta think at least one of the "older" centers (Gaustad, Fisher, Legwand) gets moved, and if you could move one of them for a veteran stay at home Dman then you could move Klein since he would seem to be pushed out by Jones and Ekholm. So you could package Klein with one of the other "older" centers and a prospect/pick for a true #1 center (maybe Paul Stastny). Would still leave you plenty of room to sign a couple of depth players if needed and give you tons of flexibility to adjust the lineup depending on the opponent, injuries or performance/readiness. Doubt it would ever happen but would be nice to see.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:21 PM
MagicSlap*

Sorry about the Stalberg signing. Guy is a total ghost when it matters, 6 points in the playoffs ever and a history of complaining as well. He's fast yeah but has stone hands, a low hockey IQ and a miserable shot. He's solid along the boards but hates getting hit so if he sense pressure he'll cough it up. Just not a good NHL player, would be a stud in the SEL though.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:38 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
NHLN is really praising our moves today. Spent about 5 minutes going over our pickups and didn't have a bad word to say.
They aren't the only ones- TSN and the Sporting News, among others, have us on the "winners" list today, and I haven't seen us on any "losers" list.....

As always, it is hilarious to see the outside hockey world's reactions to us vs. our "fans".

Old
07-05-2013, 10:41 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
So, you really think the "media" has an agenda against the Predators? Your logic is backwards- the outside media, those without a dog in the hunt, have no reason to put our moves on a "winners" list today if they didn't believe it.

The die-hard fans on this board (myself included) are absolutely biased- we are so close to it, and love it so much, its impossible to not be......

Old
07-05-2013, 10:45 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

The Devils gave Ryder the exact same contract the Predators gave to Cullen. That's a major red flag to me. Either Poile wasn't interested in Ryder (which means our organization is run by people with the IQ of fake houseplants), or Ryder wasn't interested in coming here. Nashville surely could have offered him more than that to be an impact player here.

It seems to me that nobody really wants to come to Nashville, and I can't understand why. It's a great city for young professionals, low cost of living, passionate hockey fans but relative anonymity. I legitimately wonder if being in the West, with its demanding travel schedule, is what's costing the club so many good free agents.

Of course, that doesn't make the Nystrom or Cullen contracts any less outrageous, but it's food for thought.

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 07-05-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old
07-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
So, you really think the "media" has an agenda against the Predators? Your logic is backwards- the outside media, those without a dog in the hunt, have no reason to put our moves on a "winners" list today if they didn't believe it.

The die-hard fans on this board (myself included) are absolutely biased- we are so close to it, and love it so much, its impossible to not be......
Uh, no. No one is out to get the Predators. I don't get your comment.

I guess we'll see how they really think when they make their standings predictions. Surely, since we "won" free agency, they think we're now contenders right? I have a feeling most will predict us to miss the playoffs.

"Winning" free agency, just like "winning" the trade deadline, doesn't mean squat.

Closed Thread