HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Fire Poile

Old
07-05-2013, 07:42 PM
PFL615

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
What did they say on TSN?
They were discussing winners and losers on the first day of free agency and Nashville was one of a few teams mentioned by the panel as a winner. They like what the Preds have done and went into Stalberg, Hendrick, and Cullen.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:44 PM
RaiderDoug

Missed most of the day, but I don't really see why people are so insane about this group of FAs.

Stalberg - looks good to me.

Cullen - Dollars are a little high, but term is good. Fits right in with Fisher and Legwand. Good on the PP.

Hendricks/Nystrom - looks a little high on contracts, but they're clear upgrades on Yip/Halischuk. I don't know much about Nystrom, but he's shown he can put the puck in the net.

We've got a great bottom six, guys who can pitch in up and down the lines.

It's not a giant Grabovski splash, but we're a better team now than we were 8 hours ago.

Plus, we definately dodged some bulletts. Horton - bad signing. Ribiero - going to regret that one. Clowe - no freakin way.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:48 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

And that isn't even mentioning the Clarkson deal.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
While there were a lot of bad signings i would take filppula at 5/5m over the cullin signing any day of the week. 4 year contracts on the 4th line grinders is fail as well. Should be T most 2 year deals and if you cant get them for that then stick with spaling and another young guy. 4 years is a long time with those big contract. Maxim Lapeire was had for 1.1m and he is better than nystrom and hendricks...

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:05 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
While there were a lot of bad signings i would take filppula at 5/5m over the cullin signing any day of the week. 4 year contracts on the 4th line grinders is fail as well. Should be T most 2 year deals and if you cant get them for that then stick with spaling and another young guy. 4 years is a long time with those big contract. Maxim Lapeire was had for 1.1m and he is better than nystrom and hendricks...
I would gladly take Cullen's contract over Filppula's. Filppula's 66 point season is seeming more and more like an anomaly, and his numbers outside of that season have not been all that impressive. He's a #2/#3 that can be pencilled in for 35-40 points. Cullen might be able to hit the same mark and cost us $1.5M less per year.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:10 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I watch almost all of the Wild games (they're broadcast on FS Wisconsin) and I promise you guys are going to like Cullen. He's been one of my favorite players to watch over the past few years.

AdmiralsFan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Got to admit, the Nystrom deal has me shocked and appalled.

Like Drake744 said - if this works out, I'm never doubting Poile ever again. And I rarely had cause to doubt him before regardless.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:15 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I watch almost all of the Wild games (they're broadcast on FS Wisconsin) and I promise you guys are going to like Cullen. He's been one of my favorite players to watch over the past few years.
Yeah I don't get any of the hate on the Cullen/Stalberg/Hendricks signings. Actually I'm very happy with Nystrom now that the Mild got Cooke. We are going to be enjoying some very physical/dirty hockey in our new conference.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Agreed. Assuming he can stay healthy, which hasn't been too big a problem over his career, I think he'll really add a lot to this team.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:20 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Yeah I don't get any of the hate on the Cullen/Stalberg/Hendricks signings. Actually I'm very happy with Nystrom now that the Mild got Cooke. We are going to be enjoying some very physical/dirty hockey in our new conference.
Yeah, between Cooke in Minnesota and Lapierre in St. Louis...well, and just St. Louis being St. Louis, I'm not as upset to overpay for some of that speed and sandpaper.

Old
07-05-2013, 09:30 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Yeah, between Cooke in Minnesota and Lapierre in St. Louis...well, and just St. Louis being St. Louis, I'm not as upset to overpay for some of that speed and sandpaper.
Yeah, forgot about Max. We are gonna see some very physical hockey boys and girls.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 09:30 PM
SkarEffect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevFist View Post
Seriously folks? If you have to think about firing Poile, just take this into consideration.....

Oh the memories.

SkarEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:24 PM
token grinder

I personally am looking forward to not seeing our guys thrown like ragdolls in the corners this year.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:23 AM
predwings

While I will be optimistic this year that we'll be better than last year (Hard to be worse) I don't necessarily see the moves I'd like to see with all this wiggle room we have we're just wasting it away because we can.

It's like Poile has never constructed a favorable deal in his life right now, he's selling money to get people to Nashville? Are we in that bad of a situation? or is this a grand scheme he has planned out? It's all TBD, but he hasn't failed us quite yet so I'll give him until the end of FA.

predwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:42 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Every summer but this one: "Poile is too passive! He's so lazy/stuoid/inept he has to wait for free agents to call him. He is afraid to spend any money... FIRE POILE"

This summer "Poile has lost his mind, he signed too many players! Look at all the money he wasted.. FIRE POILE"

we troll ourselves....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:07 AM
token grinder

this is the dumbest thread to come to dumbtown since dumb came to dumbtown

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:48 AM
preds1

I like Poile. We've had our chances over the years and at some point the players are to blame as well. (Looking at you Fish/Leggy/Horny/Wilson)

Just a tough FA class. Came in 2nd on Briere. Vinny and Iggy weren't coming here. Grabo...... meh, that's 50/50 with a tough contract. Not too disappointed.

He did the best he could with the options he actually had available to him.
Better, yes. Playoff team - I just don't see it right now.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:59 PM
smitty10

I'm hoping you guys land Grabovski. No idea why Poile went after Cullen when Grabo's still on the market, but he'd fit in nicely with the Preds and can probably be had cheap.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

I'm giving the moves a half a season, because this team still needs a dynamic goal scoring forward.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-06-2013 at 01:24 PM. Reason: too much
Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Jarnberg

Signings are working out eh?

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 02:09 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

I can't believe how long Poile and Trotz have lasted. What's more crazy are the number of hockey writers that always rave about these two for honestly never accomplishing anything. "Trotz would be out of work...two days." Stuff of that nature.

I get sticking with your man and seeing it out, but man o man, doing the same thing over and over with no change...It has to be bloody frustrating as a Preds season ticket holder I am sure.

Craig Smith, leading the Preds in goals...a guy that rips it up on the National stage...yet with Trotz, on a team starving for goals, he's a health scratch. Talk about making thing just unnecessarily complicated.

I get sticking with a management team...and seeing it out and trying to create a program...but what happened to this being a result based business?

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2013, 06:44 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop12 View Post
I can't believe how long Poile and Trotz have lasted. What's more crazy are the number of hockey writers that always rave about these two for honestly never accomplishing anything. "Trotz would be out of work...two days." Stuff of that nature.

I get sticking with your man and seeing it out, but man o man, doing the same thing over and over with no change...It has to be bloody frustrating as a Preds season ticket holder I am sure.

Craig Smith, leading the Preds in goals...a guy that rips it up on the National stage...yet with Trotz, on a team starving for goals, he's a health scratch. Talk about making thing just unnecessarily complicated.

I get sticking with a management team...and seeing it out and trying to create a program...but what happened to this being a result based business?
I get your point and I think this year a lot of people who stuck by Trotz are now kind of "meh" about a coaching change.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote