HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler Sign Andrew Ference - 4 years, $3.25M per

View Poll Results: Do you like this signing
Yes 265 91.07%
No 26 8.93%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Chooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Ference just turned 34 and will have turned 38 (in March) at the end of the 4th year of this contract.
Exactly, so in other words as i stated, nearly 40?

Quote:
Show me 1 value signing today....that type of contract doesn't exist when it comes to the 1st day of Free Agency.
Easily debunked already, somebody else beat me to it.

Quote:
This team lacked top 4 dmen and also lacked character and toughness.

Ference allows all 3 of those columns to be checked off.

Just like Gordon, Ference was more expensive than he should have been but both players bring qualities this team was lacking in.
I am not against any of those players being here. I even said it above, we could really use a Ference. While i do feel they were overpaid just a bit, my main issue here is only with the term. As for their salary, they would probably get that same money elsewhere for all we know, but i don't believe many teams would sign them for that long while paying them that kind of money.

Quote:
Also, Edmonton will always have to over pay for FA's (1st day of FA or not)....thats just a reality that Oiler fans have to live with.
I really don't think geography matters to hockey players as much as some people make it out to matter. The myth that Edmonton is this city that can't attract FA's ever since the Chris Pronger thing went down and he wanted out for personal reasons in which nobody can decipher why. These guys are hockey players, if they wanted a long vacation on the sandy beaches of Florida, i am sure they can afford one. I mean, these guys barely ever see their families during the regular season as it is, so i don't see why geography is this supposed big deal to most hockey players. If we have to overpay for the FA's we sign, then i'd probably guess Calgary does too, as well as Winnipeg since we aren't exactly the best looking cities.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:12 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Exactly, so in other words as i stated, nearly 40?
Splitting hairs. He will play the vast majority of his last season (on this contract) at 37 years old.

Quote:
Easily debunked already, somebody else beat me to it.
Very debatable as I posted earlier.

Quote:
I am not against any of those players being here. I even said it above, we could really use a Ference. While i do feel they were overpaid just a bit, my main issue here is only with the term. As for their salary, they would probably get that same money elsewhere for all we know, but i don't believe many teams would sign them for that long while paying them that kind of money.
Thats why so many players choose to go to free agency...because it usually works in their favor.

Quote:
Honestly, i think that's a hyperbole within itself. I really don't think geography matters to hockey players as much as some people make it out to matter. The myth that Edmonton is this city that can't attract FA's ever since the Chris Pronger thing went down and he wanted out for personal reasons in which nobody can decipher why. These guys are hockey players, if they wanted a long vacation on the sandy beaches of Florida, i am sure they can afford one. I mean, these guys barely ever see their families during the regular season as it is, so i don't see why geography is this supposed big deal to most hockey players. If we have to overpay for the FA's we sign, then i'd probably guess Calgary does too, as well as Winnipeg since we aren't exactly the best looking cities.
History suggests otherwise.
Edmonton is and always has been a tough sell. A winning hockey team would certainly help the (Edmonton is a undesirable destination) moniker.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its of course a reasonable point. But not everybody like that has done much of everything here.

Again Eager, Sutton, Hordi, Brown have been underwhelming here. Ference isn't imo that great a D. His premium calling card is playing with grit and letting everybody know he's there. Lb per LB Andrew is a whole bunch of nasty. But I thought he was losing battles a lot in the playoffs this year. Didn't look particularly strong to me.
Interesting that you vehemently defended Gilbert in previous threads but hate on Ference's play, yet one is bought out and available and the other is overpaid to purchase his services.

Also interesting that Regher is your most hated ex-Flame. I hated him as well but always wished he was an Oiler. I was hoping he'd become a UFA this summer, and was disappointed when he re-signed before becoming unrestricted. You need those types of players on your team. You have to make it difficult in your own end for the other guys.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Cawz

Quote:
If we have to overpay for the FA's we sign, then i'd probably guess Calgary does too, as well as Winnipeg since we aren't exactly the best looking cities.
Well, yeah, you dont see the high-profile FAs lining up to sign with those teams either, do you? Thats why it was so weird when Smyth and Schultz wanted to sign here. It was like Bizarro world

Old
07-05-2013, 11:11 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
The myth that Edmonton is this city that can't attract FA's ever since the Chris Pronger thing went down and he wanted out for personal reasons in which nobody can decipher why.
Pronger's reason for wanting to leave Edmonton.
  • Banging tv reporter (forget name)
  • Wife finds out
  • Wife tells Pronger we leave town or very expensive divorce

The decipherin' ain't that tough.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Interesting that you vehemently defended Gilbert in previous threads but hate on Ference's play, yet one is bought out and available and the other is overpaid to purchase his services.

Also interesting that Regher is your most hated ex-Flame. I hated him as well but always wished he was an Oiler. I was hoping he'd become a UFA this summer, and was disappointed when he re-signed before becoming unrestricted. You need those types of players on your team. You have to make it difficult in your own end for the other guys.
I haven't said a single time my opinion on this is logical. Sometimes I can express myself well and elaborate a point. Sometimes its more just a reaction involved. Fandom is like that. The hockey, particularly in BOA can boil over to where you just hate opponent players.

Calgary as an entire city hated Gretzky (except for the Oiler fans there) they would hate Gretzky still today decades later. It is what it is. In some cases that somebody like me detests a player is indication they were hard to play against, despised etc. I have a harder time than most switching the button to where I accept that X player is here. Can't really explain it any better than that.

In some sense detesting certain opponent players is giving in to the passion of being a fan and buying into inherent rivalry which I do freely.

Theres never any doubt who I'm cheering for in a GDT. people get surprised at that sometimes. But put me in July and I have a hard time getting excited about the club and some player moves. Unless its some big addition.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Enjoy! Glad he signed there after he knew he wasn't coming back to Boston. Should make that D much better and mentor the young guys. Cup champ, playoff warrior, alternate captain

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
TheBusDriver
Private Eyes

Overall OK signing but 1-2 years too long...

TheBusDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Ference is quite the physical specimen, health shouldn't be too much of a concern, especially for the first two years.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I haven't said a single time my opinion on this is logical. Sometimes I can express myself well and elaborate a point. Sometimes its more just a reaction involved. Fandom is like that. The hockey, particularly in BOA can boil over to where you just hate opponent players.

Calgary as an entire city hated Gretzky (except for the Oiler fans there) they would hate Gretzky still today decades later. It is what it is. In some cases that somebody like me detests a player is indication they were hard to play against, despised etc. I have a harder time than most switching the button to where I accept that X player is here. Can't really explain it any better than that.

In some sense detesting certain opponent players is giving in to the passion of being a fan and buying into inherent rivalry which I do freely.

Theres never any doubt who I'm cheering for in a GDT. people get surprised at that sometimes. But put me in July and I have a hard time getting excited about the club and some player moves. Unless its some big addition.
Very well said.

Our team right now is not better than the team last season, except in the hope that players will take that step forward (which may happen - its definitely within the realm of distinct possibility). MacT has identified holes, but has failed to fill thim thus far. Filling holes is a tough test, even for the most seasoned GM, never mind a rookie one. He still has time, but its not easy.

But yeah, we're all fans. No one should question that. We're all a bit loopy in some fashion of hockey passion. I just hope a player I truely detest never signs here. Like when Bertuzzi signed here in Calgary. Most Flames fans I was friends with just tolerated him and waited for him to be gone.

Surprisingly enough, many old Flames fans here in Calgary dont seem to hate Gretzky anymore. Messier still gets it though.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:20 AM
oilerfan17

I posted a thread asking Bruins fans for their opinions on Ference, and suffice to say, it seems we have a winner here. Real class act leader who can play second pairing minutes and deliver reasonable results. More importantly, he seems like the type of veteran that the whole team looks up to and who is more than willing to stand up for his team mates. I'd quote individuals but really the whole thread is worth scrolling through.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1463827

Check out how many times this guy is the first person into a scrum in this video. The Oilers have been sorely lacking in this area for quite some time. Hopefully he starts a movement.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Very happy to have him signed, the right kind of veteran for our defense core, will help up the compete level on our team and bring more accountability in the room. I'm happy with the $$$ value on the contact but, it's for 1 more year than I would like, let's hope he is as committed to fitness as I hear and keep up a high level of play for atleast 3 years of this deal.

Burnt Biscuits is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:10 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
I really like this signing. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Ference averaged the 3rd most ice time of all Bruins this past playoffs (24:31 per game), behind only Chara and Seidenberg. If he's a legit top 4 D for the Bruins, pretty safe to say he will be for the Oil.

As it stands now, possible D pairings:

Ference - Petry
Smid - J. Schultz
N. Schultz/Belov - Larsen/Potter

Would like to see one more established top 4 Dman so that Justin isn't forced to play top 4 minutes yet. I think he still needs another season under his belt.

Ideally, I'd like to see:

Smid - Petry
Ference - xxxxx
Belov - J. Schultz
N. Schultz
Larsen
Potter

Hopefully MacT can work some magic and snatch a big name from someone.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

For everyone who feel this signing is an anchor the Oilers can never be freed from, there's this.

Quote:
Jonathan Willis ‏@JonathanWillis 7h

RE: Ference. Definitely a point worth noting. RT @mc79hockey: I'm gonna write on this but guess the B's D who didn't get the Chara Bump.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:17 AM
oilers92

vCash: 788
got to overpay to get the guy you want and they picked a good guy to target local guy, good veteran that can actually play and sticks up for teammates

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Pronger's reason for wanting to leave Edmonton.
  • Banging tv reporter (forget name)
  • Wife finds out
  • Wife tells Pronger we leave town or very expensive divorce

The decipherin' ain't that tough.
Which were just rumors.

What really happened, as stated in the post-mortem by EIG was that Pronger's wife didn't last a month in Edmonton before she was high-tailing it out of Hicksville. Pronger was living in an empty house and demanding a trade by November of his first season here.

Even included was some colorful suggestions by Nichols that Pronger should have divorced his wife and lived up to his obligations to the team.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:34 AM
KarmaPolice
No Hope...

Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Which were just rumors.

What really happened, as stated in the post-mortem by EIG was that Pronger's wife didn't last a month in Edmonton before she was high-tailing it out of Hicksville. Pronger was living in an empty house and demanding a trade by November of his first season here.

Even included was some colorful suggestions by Nichols that Pronger should have divorced his wife and lived up to his obligations to the team.
Loneliness can cause a man to do certain things. Just sayin...

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
I posted a thread asking Bruins fans for their opinions on Ference, and suffice to say, it seems we have a winner here. Real class act leader who can play second pairing minutes and deliver reasonable results. More importantly, he seems like the type of veteran that the whole team looks up to and who is more than willing to stand up for his team mates. I'd quote individuals but really the whole thread is worth scrolling through.

Check out how many times this guy is the first person into a scrum in this video. The Oilers have been sorely lacking in this area for quite some time. Hopefully he starts a movement.
Oilers fans, watch that video it sums him up perfectly. Ultimate team guy, even better human being. Very solid #4-6 d

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:34 AM
Shizuka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Dangle For You View Post
Oilers fans, watch that video it sums him up perfectly. Ultimate team guy, even better human being. Very solid #4-6 d
Awesome stuff, love the kid's fire and leadership. That's a leader for you!! Cheers Boston fan = )

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:40 AM
bolt thrower
Danke Bomber Harris!

Your will love Ference, he is a great player and team mate. Good luck to him and the Oilers, we will miss him in Boston.

bolt thrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:43 AM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Link?

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:49 AM
Sheeshta

Quote:

I really don't think geography matters to hockey players as much as some people make it out to matter. The myth that Edmonton is this city that can't attract FA's ever since the Chris Pronger thing went down and he wanted out for personal reasons in which nobody can decipher why. These guys are hockey players, if they wanted a long vacation on the sandy beaches of Florida, i am sure they can afford one. I mean, these guys barely ever see their families during the regular season as it is, so i don't see why geography is this supposed big deal to most hockey players. If we have to overpay for the FA's we sign, then i'd probably guess Calgary does too, as well as Winnipeg since we aren't exactly the best looking cities.
It's much less actual physical geography (though that matters) than it is Edmonton's reputation as a town that's extremely hard on players that the fans perceive as being bums for whatever made up possibly completely spurious reason. There's not a lot of hockey markets that have fanbases (and media members) who run guys like Jason Arnott, Shawn Horcoff, Sheldon Souray, Dustin Penner, etc. etc. out of town on rails, cheering as they go.

It's literally demonstrably true in this year's FA period with Horton wanting to move from a rabid hockey town to Columbus (a "non-traditional" market). The difference between our theoretically inhospitable environment and Boston's, or Montreal's, though, is that the Oilers have been a hysterically bad hockey franchise for a very long time, and the people that have made it a bad franchise are still in charge. So yeah, the Oilers will have to overpay for free agents, absolutely. It's a bonus if it's a guy like Ference, too, who wants to play in the atmosphere.

Sheeshta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:53 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post

****, Jack Edwards is the worst!

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Link?
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjourna...a44471&k=87141

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ill Dangle For You View Post
Awesome. Love hearing that.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote