HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2013, 10:59 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
I don't know. A lot of these pundits are huge on Seth Jones; Josi just had a very good season with an outstanding WC afterwards; Weber is always getting praise, and Rinne is loved by the hockey media; we added a good forward in Stalberg and we revamped the bottom six by adding one of Cullen/Legwand, Hendricks and Nystrom. Last but not least, Trotz/Poile are constantly getting praise. I don't think they will be calling us to challenge for the division, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have us in the play offs.

I'll have to look at the play off set up. Is it the top two in each division, followed by the next best two teams?

Old
07-05-2013, 11:07 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Uh, no. No one is out to get the Predators. I don't get your comment.

I guess we'll see how they really think when they make their standings predictions. Surely, since we "won" free agency, they think we're now contenders right? I have a feeling most will predict us to miss the playoffs.

"Winning" free agency, just like "winning" the trade deadline, doesn't mean squat.
You said to not "swallow what the media is feeding you" as if they have some reason to not be critical- all I'm saying is the outside media have no reason to praise the moves today by the Preds unless they really believe it...

And come on, you know what being on the winners list for free agency means- it just means they think we had a good day and made good moves. Of course it doesn't mean that we are, or are not- contenders.

You are easy to dismiss anyone with anything good to say today, but I guarantee you if the media was bashing the moves we made all the negative Nancy's would be quoting them word for word.....

Old
07-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
You said to not "swallow what the media is feeding you" as if they have some reason to not be critical- all I'm saying is the outside media have no reason to praise the moves today by the Preds unless they really believe it...

And come on, you know what being on the winners list for free agency means- it just means they think we had a good day and made good moves. Of course it doesn't mean that we are, or are not- contenders.

You are easy to dismiss anyone with anything good to say today, but I guarantee you if the media was bashing the moves we made all the negative Nancy's would be quoting them word for word.....
I never meant to imply they don't believe it. I think they do believe it. The point is, they are just making a story. We made the most moves and signed some good character guys. That's all today means to them. They're not thinking too hard about us.

I could say the same thing about you. You are easy to dismiss anyone with anything negative to say and immediately label them as a "negative nancy." Why does everything have to be an extreme? Why can't I say something negative but also think we're a better team? (If you actually read some of my posts I said exactly that)

For the direction Poile wanted to go, he did a superb job. I just don't fully agree with the direction.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
I don't know. A lot of these pundits are huge on Seth Jones; Josi just had a very good season with an outstanding WC afterwards; Weber is always getting praise, and Rinne is loved by the hockey media; we added a good forward in Stalberg and we revamped the bottom six by adding one of Cullen/Legwand, Hendricks and Nystrom. Last but not least, Trotz/Poile are constantly getting praise. I don't think they will be calling us to challenge for the division, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have us in the play offs.

I'll have to look at the play off set up. Is it the top two in each division, followed by the next best two teams?
Thought it was going to be top 4 in each division, with the first two rounds being divisional playoffs. If you look at the teams we're competing with in division, we weren't going to out-skill Chicago, St. Louis, or Minnesota, regardless of who we pick up this off-season. Going back to a grinding, nasty, hard-working style, though, we might have a better shot.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:24 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Yeah I'm an idiot. I was thinking six divisions still, but it's four. Top four in each. You're right.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:25 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaf1210 View Post
Gotta think at least one of the "older" centers (Gaustad, Fisher, Legwand) gets moved, and if you could move one of them for a veteran stay at home Dman then you could move Klein since he would seem to be pushed out by Jones and Ekholm. So you could package Klein with one of the other "older" centers and a prospect/pick for a true #1 center (maybe Paul Stastny). Would still leave you plenty of room to sign a couple of depth players if needed and give you tons of flexibility to adjust the lineup depending on the opponent, injuries or performance/readiness. Doubt it would ever happen but would be nice to see.
Klein, one of our centers, and a prospect/pick for one year of Stastny? That would honestly be worse than any move Poile made today.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:46 PM
tserberis*

Quote:
Yeah I'm an idiot. I was thinking six divisions still, but it's four. Top four in each. You're right.
You are wrong. Top 3 each division then point based.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:50 PM
tserberis*

Who said Ekholm is pushing Klein off.

The few games we saw him he didn't prove nothing. He is still to be rated.

Old
07-05-2013, 11:58 PM
jhaf1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Klein, o ne of our centers, and a prospect/pick for one year of Stastny? That would honestly be worse than any move Poile made today.
I don't think so, if you think of it as trading a defensemen who is going to have trouble finding ice time after midseason if Jones and Ekholm live up half of their hype, and trading the center is really just a salary dump since we already have a glut of centers. Leggy only has a year left on his deal, Fish has two so its not as though either of them are long term solutions at center, and if you could get someone to take Gaustad's deal then you have to be happy.

Not saying Stastny is the answer just a deal with Colorado makes sense as they have several young centers, and could use defense and maybe an older locker room guy. Also I don't think I would look at it as a rental, more like a opportunity, with the group of players we have now and with a few quality prospects in the pipe, I think the Preds have to have a good chance of resigning him or anyone else. And like I said even if they walk after a year you aren't really out that much given what else you have on the roster.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:14 AM
jhaf1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
Who said Ekholm is pushing Klein off.

The few games we saw him he didn't prove nothing. He is still to be rated.
That's why I think you pick up a veteran stay at home defenseman first, that way you can pick and chose what spots you put Ekholm in to build up some confidence. Between this new defenseman, Jones and Ekholm that would pretty much eat most of the minutes Klein would see. I agree if Ekholm and Ellis ultimately flame out, it leaves you looking for a defenseman next year but the opportunity to play with Weber, Jones, and Josi should make that an enticing opening to any Free Agents.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:20 AM
predatorsfan2015

My opinion on today's signings are positive.

Today, the Predators got back to their bread and butter. We are back to that hard/gritty game that we had gotten away from the past two seasons. We went for it the 2011-2012 to really impress Suter & Weber, and we ultimately failed. We went for forwards that year, and got away from our grittiness and at the end of it, got put out in 5 games that was playing our style of hockey. We started losing our identity then, and just now regained it. Barry Trotz knows how to coach teams like this. He hasn't had a team like this since the 2010-2011 season, and now he can get back to his forte. We still may not be able to score (which is still a problem) but we are going to be one of the hardest teams to play against in the NHL this upcoming season. This is a team that Trotz can mold and really get a lot out of. We have some of our offense coming around (Willy, Forsberg, Beck, Stalberg), with one of the hardest bottom 6's to play against. Not to mention, one of the best defenses in the whole league, with arguably the best goalie in the world.

Giving Trotz a whole training camp to fix and mold this team will be just what we need. We have balance, and we sure as heck are a better team today, than we were yesterday. We are back to being the Predators we all know & love.

P.S.: Everyone complaining about who Poile signed, are the exact same people that would have been complaining if he wouldn't had signed anyone. This team hasn't even taken the ice yet. Chill out, guys.

Last edited by predatorsfan2015: 07-06-2013 at 12:23 AM. Reason: misspellings
Old
07-06-2013, 12:21 AM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Gotta be thinking Vanek is on the table. Buffalo in a rebuild state, looking to acquire young developing assets. One year left till he's a UFA so I don't think it would take the world. One of the premier snipers in the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorsfan2015 View Post
My opinion on today's signings are positive.

Today, the Predators got back to their bread and butter. We are back to that hard/gritty game that we had gotten away from the past two seasons. We went for it the 2011-2012 to really impress Suter & Weber, and we ultimately failed. We went for forwards that year, and got away from our grittiness and at the end of it, got put out in 5 games that was playing our style of hockey. We started losing our identity then, and just now regained it. Barry Trotz knows how to coach teams like this. He hasn't had a team like this since the 2010-2011 season, and now he can get back to his forte. We still may not be able to score (which is still a problem) but we are going to be one of the hardest teams to play against in the NHL this upcoming season. This is a team that Trotz can mold and really get a lot out of. We have some of our offense coming around (Willy, Forsberg, Beck, Stalberg), with one of the hardest bottom 6's to play against. Not to mention, one of the best defenses in the whole league, with arguably the best goalie in the world.

Giving Trotz a whole training camp to fix and mold this team will be just what we need. We have balance, and we sure as heck are a better team today, than we were yesterday. We are back to being the Predators we all know & love.
Great post. Despite what I think of some signings, this is more of a Trotz style of team. Hopefully he can do what he does best and get the most out of these guys.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:41 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
Gotta be thinking Vanek is on the table. Buffalo in a rebuild state, looking to acquire young developing assets. One year left till he's a UFA so I don't think it would take the world. One of the premier snipers in the league.

Great post. Despite what I think of some signings, this is more of a Trotz style of team. Hopefully he can do what he does best and get the most out of these guys.
Never win what matters the most style of play...

At least when we got away from that style for two seasons we made it through the first round twice.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:50 AM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It seems to me that nobody really wants to come to Nashville, and I can't understand why. It's a great city for young professionals, low cost of living, passionate hockey fans but relative anonymity. I legitimately wonder if being in the West, with its demanding travel schedule, is what's costing the club so many good free agents.
Come on guys. most young, up and coming NHLers don't want to come to Nashville. Accept it. This is exactly why we were upset getting the BPA in Seth Jones. The only way we were going to pick up a true top 3 forward was to draft one.

Young professionals? Maybe young music professionals. Young professonal athletes would rather be in a big city, not a small market in TN. Maybe a small hockey market like Minny is appealing. Ask Suter and Parise. But Nashville ain't a hockey market no matter how much we wish it. I was embarrassed by an interview on 104.5 when they asked Jones if his stock in the draft dropped because he didn't play college hockey. If we had a beach like South Florida or SoCal, players could overlook the ignorance. You really think kids in their early 20s making over a million a year care about the cost of living? Especially ones that will make 5+ million when their ELC is up?? We do have passionate fans. We don't know hockey, for the most part, but we are vocal.

But I can assure you, Horton, Nash, Brierre, Parise, etc... don't ignore Nashville because of the travel.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:21 AM
tserberis*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Come on guys. most young, up and coming NHLers don't want to come to Nashville. Accept it. This is exactly why we were upset getting the BPA in Seth Jones. The only way we were going to pick up a true top 3 forward was to draft one.

Young professionals? Maybe young music professionals. Young professonal athletes would rather be in a big city, not a small market in TN. Maybe a small hockey market like Minny is appealing. Ask Suter and Parise. But Nashville ain't a hockey market no matter how much we wish it. I was embarrassed by an interview on 104.5 when they asked Jones if his stock in the draft dropped because he didn't play college hockey. If we had a beach like South Florida or SoCal, players could overlook the ignorance. You really think kids in their early 20s making over a million a year care about the cost of living? Especially ones that will make 5+ million when their ELC is up?? We do have passionate fans. We don't know hockey, for the most part, but we are vocal.

But I can assure you, Horton, Nash, Brierre, Parise, etc... don't ignore Nashville because of the travel.
And the style of play our Managment implements.
Who would want that? Right rejects and 3-4 liners.

Even Erat asked out after he probably heard that Poile wants to go back to Preds hockey.
You'll have somewhat success during lengthy season but comes playoff you gonna be stadied, holes will be found and you will have your usual first round exit due to luck of scoring.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Infinite Jest

vCash: 50
In the end, we're a better team now than we were 24 hours ago. Cullen and Stalberg were very fair signings in my opinion. Hendricks and Nystrom were overpaid and for too long. It's not my money, so I don't really care, but hopefully it doesn't stop us from adding a real scorer at some point.

I would've liked Grabovski instead of Cullen though...

Old
07-06-2013, 05:32 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I don't know. A lot of these pundits are huge on Seth Jones; Josi just had a very good season with an outstanding WC afterwards; Weber is always getting praise, and Rinne is loved by the hockey media; we added a good forward in Stalberg and we revamped the bottom six by adding one of Cullen/Legwand, Hendricks and Nystrom. Last but not least, Trotz/Poile are constantly getting praise. I don't think they will be calling us to challenge for the division, but I wouldn't be surprised if they have us in the playoffs.
Good post. Overall, I still wish/hope we add a scorer in a trade (I don't think we get any more UFAs), but overall, I agree.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:01 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by tserberis View Post
And the style of play our Managment implements.
Who would want that? Right rejects and 3-4 liners.

Even Erat asked out after he probably heard that Poile wants to go back to Preds hockey.
You'll have somewhat success during lengthy season but comes playoff you gonna be stadied, holes will be found and you will have your usual first round exit due to luck of scoring.
well, if we make it back to the playoffs next year I would say that is a substantial improvement over finishing 14th in the West and would be be reason to say "good job Poile"

tell you what, lets just make the playoffs again, be happy for that, and then see what happens.... who knows maybe Rinne carries us farther than you think...

Old
07-06-2013, 06:43 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

LOL...Clune

@enystrom23 can we forget all those mean things we said to eachother?

Old
07-06-2013, 07:43 AM
hockey diva

Winnipeg gets Setoguchi for a second round pick.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:05 AM
PFL615

So i am curious.. Some of the usual negative energy in the Preds board are questioning what happened yesterday.

So let's hear it.

Who is a FA the preds could have signed and beat out 5 other teams money wise that you would be happy with?

Would you be happy with Horton who will not even be playing until December or after. A guy who has had injury issues and has missed a ton of time even though he is a top 6 forward? Would you be happy giving a guy with his history more money and years than Columbus did?

Are you going to be ok giving Clarkson the money he got to a 30 year old winger who has got hot 1 freaking time and scored over 17 goals in a season? Where you willing to give him more money and years than Toronto?

Come on who would make you happy and what kind of money would make you happy giving them?

Old
07-06-2013, 08:33 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
So i am curious.. Some of the usual negative energy in the Preds board are questioning what happened yesterday.

So let's hear it.

Who is a FA the preds could have signed and beat out 5 other teams money wise that you would be happy with?

Would you be happy with Horton who will not even be playing until December or after. A guy who has had injury issues and has missed a ton of time even though he is a top 6 forward? Would you be happy giving a guy with his history more money and years than Columbus did?

Are you going to be ok giving Clarkson the money he got to a 30 year old winger who has got hot 1 freaking time and scored over 17 goals in a season? Where you willing to give him more money and years than Toronto?

Come on who would make you happy and what kind of money would make you happy giving them?
the only thing that happened yesterday that I wish had gone our way was the Bobby Ryan trade.

Ottawa sent what appears to be the equivalent of Bourque and Watson and a 1st for Ryan.

I would bet money that Poile was bidding for Ryan... not sure what the deciding factor was... although if I had to guess Anaheim was probably wanting FF from us and Poile wouldnt go there

Old
07-06-2013, 08:40 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
the only thing that happened yesterday that I wish had gone our way was the Bobby Ryan trade.

Ottawa sent what appears to be the equivalent of Bourque and Watson and a 1st for Ryan.

I would bet money that Poile was bidding for Ryan... not sure what the deciding factor was... although if I had to guess Anaheim was probably wanting FF from us and Poile wouldnt go there
Not really. Silfverberg is a highly rated prospect/player. The other prospect sent was a 2nd line type. Bourque and Watson figure to be 2nd/3rd line types. Watson third. Bourque second. So in reality, both teams did well. I think what we would've had to offer was Wilson and Beck to really equate to what they got in Anaheim yesterday.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:48 AM
glenngineer

S615, I would've been happy with Stalberg and Ribeiro. That would've addressed the top 6 needs. A proven center in Ribeiro who is good on the PP and a guy who has the potential for top 6 minutes while adding speed and size to the lineup.

And while I agree we added grit back to the lineup, I think it could hamstring us down the line salary wise because we have a bunch of guys again that do the same thing but are now paying them a lot more money to do it. It's nice to have some punch on the 4th line but when I see Lapierre signing for $1.1/year we massively overpaid for guys like Nystrom and Hendricks. Probably could've had both for $2.5/year. Add that to the albatross of a deal we signed Gaustad to and I think we could have issues, not saying we will but could have issues.

Now if Poile and Trotz are going for a team that scores 2 a game and only gives up 1 then I agree with what they've done but the margin for error is way too large IMO.

People ask why free agents don't want to come here. Well, look at the way the team is designed. Defense first and forwards who like to score or play offense are not going to want to come to a team that is all about defense first. It has to be fun for them in addition to doing the hard work and I think the thought of always having to be defensively first is a turn off for certain guys. It has nothing to do with the town or if we're a hockey city or not. Players that have played here enjoyed living here and visiting players know it's a tough loud place to play so that's not an issue either. I think it has everything to do with the system we play.

Now what happens if we ***** the bed coming out of the gate. One, the coach is gone and Poile is on the hot seat as well and now we have a roster full of guys that the outgoing coach loves but may not fit in to the future plans of the new coach and there is no way to unload these guys because they are overpaid. We have seriously put all the eggs in one basket and put all the faith in Trotz to make this work. I hope it does or this could turn in to a major disaster.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I actually have bought in to what Poile did.

Last season we couldn't keep position of the puck because our "dump and chase" was dump and backcheck, we didn't have the speed to regain the puck. Our forcheck was also effected by the lack of speed, we had gotten away from our normal aggressive forecheck and sat back more. We also had defensemen camping our wingers in the defensive zone because we didn't have the speed throughout the line-up to back them up. The result was pucks held in our defensive zone for long periods of time.

Last season, Richard Clune was the only sandpaper in our line-up. Gaustad would be the few times he wasn't hurt but for the most part the Predators leaned on Clune to provide energy through physical play.

Last season injuries killed us up front. Beck was called up and thrown on the first line as we had no one else to play wing. Bang, Henderson, Watson and Mueller where all playing big minutes.

Where was the hard working Predators? The aggressive forecheck? The relentless puck pursuit? The energy? To steal a phrase from Crisp, were was the lunch-pale?

Where these not big issues?

If Stalberg and Cullen don't add anything, they add speed in bunches.

Grit? Nystrom and Henderson are as gritty as Stalberg is fast.

Depth? We added 4 forwards and a back-up goalie.

This team is built the way Trotz likes his team to play, it's going to be fast, aggressive and gritty. Full of hard working blue collar players, elite defenders and an elite goalie.

Closed Thread