HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop being so negative !

Old
07-06-2013, 09:11 AM
obcd1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Maybe some "negative" people are being realistic and seeing things as they are.

Dont bemoan the simple truth that some people's "dream bubble" is being popped by the hard facts.

Please let the readers decide if they want dreams or reality. Thanks!

Being negative has a 97% succes rate in the NHL, easy thing to say

obcd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:15 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrowe21 View Post
Agree with most of what you said but IMO DD has gotta go, still need help on defense (Scuderi would have been awesome) and personally I have no faith in Price in the playoffs.
If Desharnais can produce on the Powerplay again, you're looking a 60-point center, minimum. Then you can think about trading him for value.

I laugh my ass off at people who (not you) that ***** and moan and beg for Desharnais to be traded because he sucks. But then say we should trade him for "such and such player".

If Desharnais sucks, why would St. Louis trade Chris Stewart for him?

Obviously I'm in the boat that doesn't think Desharnais sucks (he had a weak year no doubt) but the fact that he put up a 48-point pace despite playing like I've never seen him before surprises me. He's always going to lose pucks and get beat on board battles more than he wins. But last year, his passing was off, his puck control was off - he just seemed off. His low production had nothing to do with being small and everything to do with not playing with the crispness that he has always played with. Oh, and his puck reception was putrid last year. He had trouble accepting a pass from just about everyone.

Anyway, I'm 99% sure he'll bounce back to a 55-65 point pace. At which point, if you want to trade him to improve our team - do it. Don't trade him when his value is low because he had a bad year during a lockout shortened season.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ArtPeur

I used to be really positive while everyone was so negative years ago. But when they hired Therrien last year, I had some doubts. Sure they played great this year but I still doubt they will be able to have a great season next year. That slump in April was about to last a long long time. It's not just Briere's signing and Parros' trade that's making me negative about next year, it's the whole thing.

1. I've never been a fan of Therrien's coaching, the first 2 months were great but then he couldn't make the team wins
2. the defence sucks, we still need a big physical stay-at-home d that could play a lot of min
3. Our offence is just too small and we have a lot of players with big question marks.

- Will Pacioretty be able to score more goals? To me, he may have finished 1st in points this year but he was way too much invisible on most games and his shot has been so bad all year long. He should be our best forward...
- Will Desharnais bounce back?
- How will Gionta play after all those injuries? and Bourque?
- Briere is 0.5ppg, we need more than that.

The only forwards that I think they would have a great year are Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk and Gallagher. I would be also happy to hear that Halpern is coming back, I really hope that Bergevin will sign him. He's a character guy after all. lol

ArtPeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Keep drinking the Value Brand Kool-Aid.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:17 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I still think we are missing a couple of additions but you're right, the negativity here since the Briere signing has been pathetic. Let's cheer them

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:21 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

You know the funny thing - if you look around at what other teams say about us, they usually say that we have a good defense group. Yet 95% of people here say our defense sucks. I tend to agree with the other fanbases.

We lack a 2nd Top-2 guy because Markov isn't that anymore, but Tinordi will be there in another year or two.

By the time Beaulieu is ready, he'll bring the 2nd pairing minutes that Markov should be taking.

Plus, Diaz & Emelin are still improving, despite what people say. Diaz was incredible up until his injury. Like seriously, so ****ing good. Only Subban was better than him, IMO.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:21 AM
sheed36

Ahhh the "real fan" post again.. How does one determine if they're one again?

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Cups are not won and lost on the Free Agent Frenzy day...not by a longshot.

Yes a team can help itself but very rarely is it by overpaying for average players.
Overpaying for an average player is exactly what we did. The fact that it's a player that doesn't even address our needs just makes it worse.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Overpaying for an average player is exactly what we did. The fact that it's a player that doesn't even address our needs just makes it worse.
Right, I forgot we scored a lot of goals in the playoffs. My bad.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:24 AM
ArtPeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
You know the funny thing - if you look around at what other teams say about us, they usually say that we have a good defense group. Yet 95% of people here say our defense sucks. I tend to agree with the other fanbases.

We lack a 2nd Top-2 guy because Markov isn't that anymore, but Tinordi will be there in another year or two.

By the time Beaulieu is ready, he'll bring the 2nd pairing minutes that Markov should be taking.

Plus, Diaz & Emelin are still improving, despite what people say. Diaz was incredible up until his injury. Like seriously, so ****ing good. Only Subban was better than him, IMO.
I agree that our D isn't that bad but we lack physical D in front of the net. Seeing all those forwards in front of our net without being bothered makes me mad (and kinda sad).

ArtPeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Lshap

Optimism is like a talisman. Carry it around with you no matter what the circumstances and it sometimes helps you feel better. Just as long as you don't reply on it to actually fix your problems for you.

I'll be optimistic on game day. I'll be cheering for Briere as much as anyone on the team. I'll be dancin' & singin' after a win. I'll be defending the Habs on main board throughout the season from all forms of trolls and uninformed idiots. There's a part of me every single season that can see a path to the Cup, and because I'm optimistic I remain a fan.

But my clear-eyed, objective assessment of the team's chances is that our rivals spent silly amounts of money but have nevertheless gotten stronger, while the Habs have spent a lesser amount of money but have gotten weaker compared to last year. Yes, it may work to our favour in a couple of years and after a few more moves, but judging our latest signing on its own, Montreal has fallen behind the pack.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:25 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Not being negative is a nice idea good luck with that. I am trying to be optimistic regarding 2013-14 but MB is challenging that so far this offseason by adding different one-dimensional players (eg Briere can pass and shoot but is soft, Parros can fight but can't skate well). I don't like this direction, much prefer if we were investing in Prust-type complete players. But what do I know I'm a guy at a computer, so okay I'll be patient.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:26 AM
billy piton

i really didn't like briere and parros signings, but there is absolutely no reason for being negative about this habs team. my biggest concern is that we don't have a net presence guy, but heck, every team in salary cap league has flaws.

on the other hand i'm really happy that bergevin didn't sign any of those suicidal long term deals with average players.

can't wait for next season to start!

it will be tough with 16 teams in conference now, but we certainly have a chance to make the playoffs. after that -who knows.

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Stephpa10

agree totally, did i want Clarkson, Clowe, Ignla, Scuderi sure they would have helped, i would have even overpaid to get them, but i trust the GM, want to give the time to build his team

yes i want to trade DD for a big winger who can play in the top9, yes i want a big D man who can clear the net.

but guys we won the god dame division last year, if not for some lucky bounces and injuries would have beaten the sens,

we still have a very good team, we will be better this year, our young guys will have more exp, 1 more year with the new system, i still think we can win the div, Price will bounce back, he had 1month 1/2 of bad hockey and it messed up his stats.

we are still in contention for the div champs imo, although it will be tough, Sens, LEafs have gotten better, Bruins are pretty equal.

Stephpa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:29 AM
Mathradio
Drive for 25

This is still a playoff team, albeit not a #2-in-the-East one.

I hope Tinordi and Beaulieu step up in their games... Subban can't do everything by himself.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:32 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Other than this past season it would be foolish to label Briere only as average. He and the rest of his team played poorly. Briere battled injuries all season and he could very well rebound to the form that saw him dominate in the previous playoffs.

It is a two year contract that buys time for some of our prospects to grow. Considering that he is taking Ryder's spot who was an invisible pile of garbage down the stretch and in the playoffs, I don't see how this can be any worse than a lateral move.........certainly doesn't make the team worse.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsroom View Post
We have a good young roster that includes a norris trophy winner,an all star goalie and an future elite #1 centre not to mention some young skilled wingers and some young defensemen with top pairing talent.

We have a great group of prospects from a top goalie to a group of defensemen that should play in the nhl to a forward group that has skill and size. Plus we have all our draft picks for next years draft.

This team will have success this year and for many years to follow. The roster looks good to me plus we have about 4 million if we want to pick up another player now or maybe 2 players at the trade deadline.we have added toughness to the team in parros/prust/tinordi/moen/white.yes we have some small forwards but maybe we trade 1 or 2 of them this year who knows.

No team is perfect in the nhl but this team is on the right track and has talent in the nhl and more to come in the minors so why not cheer for them instead of ripping every move they make and ripping every player that has a bad game or 2. If you just want to be a negative person go cheer for the leafs they have been losers since colored tv!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go habs go
I agree that we have a good roster, it has some weaknesses but so do all the other teams as well. But we are not going to magically become great by doing nothing, there are a number of teams with futures just as rosy as ours. Bergevin has to play his cards right for it to come together and I'm starting to lose faith that he can do that. There have been numerous mis-steps and not that many positive moves. So far it doesn't look like he's particularly good at contract negotiation, his talent evaluation seems off, and I can no longer see his vision for this team. Those are red flags to me.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:40 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Very good post habsroom! We need more positive posters around here, last week has been very depressing on the habs board... I havent been this optimistic about the organisation in a long time, im tired of everyone being so negative.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Before yesterday I felt like we were a couple of pieces away. Big winger, big blueliner and we'd be in good shape. Adding Briere now gives us another problem that we should be looking to get rid of.

Nothing to be happy about in terms of yesterday's moves...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:48 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
He's signed to 4 years. No matter how you try to spin it, the deal makes absolutely no sense.
We have a good team to make him look good and boost his trade value. This lineup reminds me of the small Sabres lineup of 4-5 years ago, looking at what they got in assets for their small forwards, it's possible we will get a good return at the deadline this year or next one. Who knows, we may also need DD to provide offence in case of multiple injuries, he's good depth to have. (Who else can pretend to have a 4th center who can get 50-60 pts. (Just like I doubt we will ever have Gallagher - Gionta and Briere healthy at the same time...)

I'm also not concerned about him becoming untradable. We can trade him right now for a 5th or 6th rounder, he's a center, he's an NHL player, he's not in a giant slump. If we need him out, he will be traded promptly.

I'm also thinking about the possibility of an expansion(the New colisée will be ready in by Sept 2015), he's the perfect expansion draft pickup.

All-in-all, I'm quite sure Bergevin is planning for in 2-3 years and in the meantime he's trying to fill the holes as much as he can, he needs to establish the core and then augment it.

Maxpac - Galchenyuk - Gallagher - Eller
Subban - Tinordi - "Beaulieu"
Price

LW possibilities
DLR
Hudon
Bozon
Lekhonen

C Possibilities
(We might draft one in 2014)
"Bournival"
"Vail"

RW possibilities
Collberg
Leblanc
McCarron
Andrighetto
Thomas

D Possibilities
(Need more at 2014 draft)
Thrower
Ellis
Dietz

G
Fucale

If just ONE of each winger group joins that core, we will be fine, the rest can be acquired from the outside or we can keep vets in specific roles. But I think it's fair to be excited about each winger group converting 2 instead of one. On the LW Hudon and DLR, on the RW McCarron, one of Leblanc or Collberg. Depending where we draft next year I would target a center in the first round and then draft lots of Ds. To create a sufficient wave of talent, we will need to sell our current older assets well, this year was just too soon.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:48 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
How can I be positive when our management group watched Desharnais and said "This guy is good, let's extend him 4 years at 4 per!!"

And then they went "Wow, Desharnais is so good in the play-offs.. let's get him Briere next year!"

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:49 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Ahhh the "real fan" post again.. How does one determine if they're one again?
Not hating the players, the management, the coach and the identity of a team is a good start. I mean it. Why is it even allowed to show pure hatred towards our own team? I get infractions and whatnot of i post "marchand is a ******" on bostons board yet here you have people insulting guys on the team all day all night. Awesome fans, these guys. Great support.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:50 AM
SOLR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Before yesterday I felt like we were a couple of pieces away. Big winger, big blueliner and we'd be in good shape. Adding Briere now gives us another problem that we should be looking to get rid of.

Nothing to be happy about in terms of yesterday's moves...
Briere is here for 2 years. What is the problem?

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Right, I forgot we scored a lot of goals in the playoffs. My bad.
And the biggest reason why is that we didn't crash the net. Briere is not going to help in that regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Other than this past season it would be foolish to label Briere only as average. He and the rest of his team played poorly. Briere battled injuries all season and he could very well rebound to the form that saw him dominate in the previous playoffs.

It is a two year contract that buys time for some of our prospects to grow. Considering that he is taking Ryder's spot who was an invisible pile of garbage down the stretch and in the playoffs, I don't see how this can be any worse than a lateral move.........certainly doesn't make the team worse.
It's not just last year, in the past 4 seasons he's had one good year, one bad year and 2 average ones. He's also been sheltered a lot in Philly and I'm not sure we will be able to do that here since we have a bunch of other players that need sheltering as well.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Estimated_Prophet

The reason that there is so much venom towards Bergevin's moves is very simple.

The combination of fans being very passionate but equally unknowledgeable. Combine this with the ability to instantly send your most recent thought into cyberspace for millions to read in a blink of an eye.....voila

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote