HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Picking an NHL team between the Flyers and Capitals

Old
07-06-2013, 09:18 AM
SgtJoseph

vCash: 500
Just get a nice cold beverage and sit back and watch this documentary, then your decision will be a much easier one.........
http://youtu.be/Ms68m8ZP528http://youtu.be/Ms68m8ZP528

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrebel View Post
The city should really let you run the tourism department. I guess one other question I have is how will I be accepted by locals with a southern accent? I've had mixed results in the past heading north with how people act when I talk. Is it a city that as long as I support the local team I'm golden?
People will definitely notice the accent, but I don't think you'll encounter prejudice on a large scale. Philadelphia has a lot of people from elsewhere, both in the U.S. and all over the world.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:30 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Fs View Post
When you do decide to visit Philly There is a thread here somewheres that debates which is better. Gino's or Pat's steak. I would suggest you try both. They are world famous and people try to copy, but nothing like the real thing.
Tourist traps, I say!

John's Roast Pork all the way. It's just that they're only open for lunch and often close early because they run out of food.

(While you're in that part of South Philly, drive over to the Delaware and look at S.S. United States. Sorry, I'm shameless!)

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:34 AM
Jray42

vCash: 50
If you are going to visit philly for the first time, this thread is a must.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=408887

If you go to a key game, mainly against Pittsburgh, you'll be hooked. If you aren't, well then there's no hope for you to become a Flyers fan, haha.

Also, to the comment that the Caps have a young core, the Flyers have a younger core. And I can assure you, the Wells Fargo Center isn't a dump . Not our fault their arena's atmosphere is similar to that of an airport

Last edited by Jray42: 07-06-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Jray42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable View Post
Tourist traps, I say!

John's Roast Pork all the way. It's just that they're only open for lunch and often close early because they run out of food.

(While you're in that part of South Philly, drive over to the Delaware and look at S.S. United States. Sorry, I'm shameless!)
If you want a real cheesesteak you gotta get one from a push cart down by the river.

07-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Flyer Mike

I have lived in MD and near Washington for almost ten years now. The one thing I noticed is Washington is a Redskins town. Everyone else is an afterthought come August/September.

Flyer Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:57 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer Mike View Post
I have lived in MD and near Washington for almost ten years now. The one thing I noticed is Washington is a Redskins town. Everyone else is an afterthought come August/September.
Pretty much. It seems like everyone has favorite teams from outside the region...part of that is likely the large number of transplants in the area; loyalties lay elsewhere. Everyone I know goes to Nats games because it's something to do, but they aren't their actual team. The situation is definitely better with the Caps, but they didn't really become popular until recently.

DC is a weird town because it lacks a cohesive personality/identity. Also, never go to Georgetown. Probably about 70% of people there think they're God's gift to mankind because they're in Georgetown. M Street is an awful hellhole. And definitely don't bother with Arlington...it's a soulless place that developed far beyond what its infrastructure was designed to handle, because the County Board refuses to allow any upgrades to anything.

There are places in DC that still have their own identity, instead of being a glorified tourist trap...SE and SW, and NE along the Anacostia. But, if you go there you will be murdered. To death.

5 Guys is pretty legit though.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 07-06-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:08 AM
F L Y E R S
Orange & Black

Capitals are lame. Their one man team is lame. Their teams overall softness is lame. Their fans are lame. Their owner is lame. Their arena is lame. Their jerseys are lame. Their whole 'Rock the Red' theme is lame. Their non aggressive Front Office is lame. Their dominance of their joke of a division all these years is lame.

Flyers, yeah, they don't **** around.

F L Y E R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:12 AM
canadiancreed
Exiled from paradise

Quote:
Having grown up in Philadelphia but lived in or near Washington for 4 of the last 5 years, I think I can offer some insight. First, I'm hopeless biased, being from Philly but just another transient here in DC. That said:

The biggest difference between the cities is the same as between D.C. and anywhere else, which is that D.C. lacks a strong identity or sense of place. I think this is not just a reflection of the current economy, where you have the Feds and K St and lots of young rich people from out of town, but fundamental to the nature of the place. D.C. was built 200 years ago to be a showpiece, and very few people lived there year-round until the last century. People visiting and looking at monuments might be confused by this, but D.C. lacks history. Its history is the nation's history, whitewashed and reimagined in marble.

That's not to say D.C. isn't a great place. Tons of culture of the arts and museum sort, lots of young people, really good food. Great parks and public places. (Though I do hate diagonal streets because they waste space and are anti-pedestrian.) I enjoy it, just not nearly as much as Philly.

When you leave the D.C. bubble, there are lots of other sorts of places you can go. Philadelphia is, imo, totally unique. It does have a lot of the working class grit and pride that is representative of any "second city" - Boston, Chicago, etc. As in, not New York or D.C. and both proud of that but also a little touchy about it.

In the case of Philly, however, it's much more complex. It's not just a place that the New York's of the world passed by, it's one they *overtook.* Lots of cities are good cities, or great cities: Philadelphia is a GREAT CITY. At one time, it was the second-largest English speaking city in the entire world, after only London. As William Penn's Holy Experiment, Philadelphia was the first (or second) place in the country where there true religious freedom, as in freedom to practice any religion, rather than freedom to escape and practice your religion. (RI justly claims to be the first place with a principle of religious freedom, but given anti-Catholicism there some people say Philadelphia was more free, albeit 40 years later.) Penn's treaty with the Indians was described by Voltaire as the only Indian treaty "never sworn to and never broken."

Boston is proud of their tea party and New York of their money, but as a geographic, political, and economic center of the colonies Philadelphia was the glue that held the nation together. Pennsylvania was also tremendously important in generating wealth for the young nation, with rich farmland and vast deposits of iron and coal. (Later oil, but that was long after the Erie canal and in western PA.) By 1900, when New York and other cities had surpassed Philadelphia, it was still the headquarters of the Pennsylvania Railroad, the largest company in the world. The post-industrial economic decline that is associated with the "rust belt" in the 1970s started in Philadelphia in the 1900's. Between 1900 and 1910 the textile industry, the city's largest employer, shed 100,000 jobs. Other industries followed in degrees, and the city's population eventually shrank from a high of 2,000,000 to between 1,400,000 and 1,500,000.

So there's a lot to have a chip on one's shoulder about. But all the same, something of the spirit of the GREAT CITY survived. As one writer put it, "you have a sense that Philadelphia could be great again, if it just set its mind to it." (The same author noted that "Philadelphians routinely patronize the worst teams in all of professional sports," FWIW.)

This brings us, finally, to your actual question about the city today. The city has really rebounded from its historic low and once again has a population over 1,500,000. This is particularly evident in the downtown districts, which are increasingly full of younger and wealthier people, very much like New York or D.C. The biggest difference in the sense of history. The only North American cities I've been to that feel more historic are Montreal and Quebec. You can be walking home from a restaurant and happen past a 300-year old brick home, or a sign noting the favorite tavern of a colonial figure you learned about in grade school.

In terms of what to do, I most recommend things that are historic but also part of the life of the city. In other words, not the **** liberty bell. It's a bell in a glass enclosure. Skip it and visit Christ Church instead, and then stop into the Friends Meetinghouse on Arch Street just two blocks away.

Then follow Arch west to the historic Reading Terminal Market (which is actually our most visited tourist site, and justly so.) If you get a chance, poke your head into the Convention Center and see if you can see the beautifully restored train shed. Head up the Ben Franklin Parkway (another diagonal, darn you Le Corbusier) and stop into one of the museums. But consider skipping the famous ones like PMA and the Barnes (unless those are what you're interested in, they are fantastic!) and consider the often overlooked Rodin Museum or Waterworks.

From the Waterworks and/or Art Museum, look north at the main section(s) of Fairmount Park, one of the largest city parks in the world and certainly one of the most interesting. If you have time to drive in it or bike in it you can look at Laurel Hill, one of the first cemeteries in the nation open to the public (Mark Twain wrote about it), the Wissahickon Valley (a mill stream and water-powered industrial center to rival any in new England), and the site of the 1876 Centennial Exposition, as well as much else.

Circle back down to the south towards Rittenhouse Square, a trendy outdoor park surrounded by expensive condos and great restaurants, which has a long history as a high-class address. Near City Hall step into Wannamaker's (now Macy's) and be awed by the grandeur of the spaces and the pipe organ - the world's largest. Stay for an organ concert if you can, or do a little shopping in the finest late Victorian style.

Everywhere you go, keep an eye out for the amazing work of the city's mural arts program, which is a world leader in beautification of public spaces.

If you're looking for more out of the way museums consider the Mütter Museum at the College of Physicians, a museum of medical curiosities sure to disgust and amaze.

I'll stop there, for now at least. Obviously what I've described is more than a one-day itinerary, and I've barely scratched the surface. Most of all, my favorite activity in the months before leaving town was just to walk the streets and look around. Tidbits of forgotten history pop up constantly, as do interesting people and beautiful sights. I always would get a little thrill, knowing I was walking the same streets as 300 years worth of the the political, economic, religious, and social leaders of the nation, and knowing that far, far too few people were sharing in it because most people don't bother to get off the train between New York and D.C. It's good to be the biggest, or the most powerful, but I've always thought that Philadelphia was the best.

Thanks for reading all that.
FOr a split second I thought my father in law was posting on this board. That's top notch stuff.

As for waht team to choose between the two? Ya there's no contest it being the Flyers all the way. They're almost Canadian in their hockey obsession down there, the team is usually in the thick of things (when was the last time they were out of the playoffs for an extended period, the late 80's?), they're usually exciting to watch, and myself I've found that other fan bases may not like you too much, but they do respect you for following them (well not the Penquins, but no-one likes them so :p ). And you can go attend a game and go downtown without people looking at you like you're going to commit suicide (seriously every time I say let's go to DC when I visit, a quick NO! is the response. Didnt' think it was that lawless there)

Actually the Flyers are my favourite American team, both for Ron Hextall (guy played net like I used too, and their battles against the Habs in the late 80's were epic), and also because I married a Philly girl (well technically Chester County but eh)

canadiancreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

The Flyers fans, and Philly sport team's fans in general are as passionate about their teams as it can get.

I love all four of my philly teams, and care about what's going on with them; and so does the majority of the city. We breathe, eat, and sleep sports, especially hockey. (in my case)

It's goes under the radar sometimes, but we have an owner who is also passionate and wants to win at all costs. Has it got the best of him sometimes? Sure, but it something that I certainly appreciate.

Also, the rich history we have and being the Broad Street Bullies for quite sometime should help too.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:17 AM
kentuckyrebel

Ok it's after noon, so I can crack open a cold one and start watching all these videos! I'm actually pretty excited to watch em.

kentuckyrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:26 AM
WeekendAtBernies

It's sad to see so many Philadelphians actually dignifying a Philly vs. DC sports thread with a response.

A real Philly fan should be embarrassed that we're even being compared to the joke of a sports town that is DC.

To the OP: If the choice between the two cities isn't abundantly clear by this point, then I'd advise you to go root for the Capitols. There's no room for wishy-washy fans in Philly. We live and die with our teams here, and we don't need airhorns to start Let's Go Flyers chants.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
RespectTheCouts
Couts=0 offense

Us as fans are always here to welcome newcomers, if you are looking for passion, tradition, and a team that is always connected to it's fanbase your pick should be Philly, but be warned you will be hated by about everyone else for being a Flyers fan, it's way ok though, all you need to do is get tickets for a Flyers vs Pens game and you won't be let down, and afterwards you'll never care about being hated by every other fanbase in the NHL

RespectTheCouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Pretty much. It seems like everyone has favorite teams from outside the region...part of that is likely the large number of transplants in the area; loyalties lay elsewhere. Everyone I know goes to Nats games because it's something to do, but they aren't their actual team. The situation is definitely better with the Caps, but they didn't really become popular until recently.

DC is a weird town because it lacks a cohesive personality/identity. Also, never go to Georgetown. Probably about 70% of people there think they're God's gift to mankind because they're in Georgetown. M Street is an awful hellhole. And definitely don't bother with Arlington...it's a soulless place that developed far beyond what its infrastructure was designed to handle, because the County Board refuses to allow any upgrades to anything.

There are places in DC that still have their own identity, instead of being a glorified tourist trap...SE and SW, and NE along the Anacostia. But, if you go there you will be murdered. To death.

I disagree arlington really stands out as a great place to live. If you are a college graduate , move to arlington. You will have a great time meeting other college grads and it's a lot of fun.

But to the OP. If this is how you decide to become a fan of a team then I'd choose the Caps. In philly , or people have been born into the philly sports culture it is not an active decision process of becoming a fan of the team. It really is something that has been ingrained into my whole existence starting from infancy. My whole extended family live and die with philly sports. This is not something that is a socioeconomic phenomena. Philly is a very blue collar town. Even the white collars come from a blue collar background and my immediate family is no different. I hang out with my white collar dc friends and watch their passive interest as they root for the local sports team. Meanwhile temple is playing indiana in the NCAA tournament and im 5 inches from the tv living and dying with every shot. I never drink when i watch sports because it saps my focus and makes me feel detached from the event. This type of enthusiasm can not just be learned and you can't just assimilate yourself into the culture like you could with a dc sports team.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:02 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Tourist traps, I say!

John's Roast Pork all the way. It's just that they're only open for lunch and often close early because they run out of food
This is by far the best advice you will ever receive from any Flyers fan.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I disagree arlington really stands out as a great place to live. If you are a college graduate , move to arlington. You will have a great time meeting other college grads and it's a lot of fun.
Eh, that was fun for a year but then it got old. It's all heinously overpriced, too.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Stranger Danger
the

As far as hockey teams go, it's really not even close imo. The flyers are competitive every year, and while they have been absent a cup for awhile, it surely isn't due to lack of effort by the big wigs, or effort from the team. Make the playoffs most every year for as long as I can remember I think they missed 2 years out of the last 15? something like that.

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:17 PM
ihatebraydenschenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
just pick the flyers and shut up.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
It was so much better 5 years ago. Their rapid expansion has really led to a decrease in quality.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
It was so much better 5 years ago. Their rapid expansion has really led to a decrease in quality.
I noticed. It makes me sad.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
I noticed. It makes me sad.
Try out The Counter at Reston Town Center. Probably my favorite burger in the area now that 5 Guys is in decline.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Eh, that was fun for a year but then it got old. It's all heinously overpriced, too.
everything in nova is expensive. But for good reason. Arlington has a plethora of beautiful women, much more so than anywhere ive ever lived plus any place you live is going to get old.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:25 PM
Jtown

Elevation burger is legit too. I don't even like cheesburgers but that place is so delicious.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:29 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Try out The Counter at Reston Town Center. Probably my favorite burger in the area now that 5 Guys is in decline.
Duly noted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
everything in nova is expensive. But for good reason. Arlington has a plethora of beautiful women, much more so than anywhere ive ever lived plus any place you live is going to get old.
Arlington got old for me without even living there; simply driving around and going to the bars was more than enough for me. And, I've got a steady girlfriend of several years, so the eye-candy doesn't draw me in either . I guess that area just has nothing for me; perhaps I've become an old curmudgeon at age 28.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

To the OP: If you have the time, watch this video and get a crash lession on the origins of the Flyers, and their rich history, then try to tell me you didn't fall in love with this franchise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJgMQDkyJH0

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote