HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Jacob De La Rose with the 34th overall pick (info in OP)

Old
07-05-2013, 11:38 PM
Grant McCagg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
You'd think they pair him with 1 of Rychel/Ho-Sang, maybe even both, considering the defensive deficiencies of those 2 players.

Pairing him with Vail on a super 2-way line would be pretty nice too.
Vail and DLR would make a good PK tandem.

I would imagine a rookie Russian in Yazkov will be worse than a 19-year-old son of the former NHLer GM Rychel. :0 He can be lackadaisical, but Rychel knows what to do defensively.

Johnson DLR Ho-Sang would be a speedy line, fun to watch...then put Vail with Rychel and the rookie Russian. Lots of options if DLR shows up.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nic Bergfors comes to mind.

Oscar Moller is another.

I loved both players in their draft years.
Aren't these guys more offensive players? I think DLR fits more in the Landerskog ilk as he's already supposed to be defensively polished and with size/speed/physicality.

The more I think about it, the more the OHL seems like the best route. You have to imagine he'll get much more offensive development for the North American game playing top 6 on Windsor. If he manages to develop an offensive game...sweet jesus.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Laboeuf

i saw some clips of DLR and he's probably one of the best skater I've seen in recent years. He skates like a figure skater very smooth stop turn opposite direction smooth. The last guy I recall with very smooth skating is Sergei Fedorov and I would dare to compare DLR skating to his.

Laboeuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:22 AM
Laboeuf

De La Rose is Fedorov minus hands

Old
07-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Laboeuf

DLR's big hit on fellow 2nd draftee Artturi Lehkonen

Old
07-06-2013, 01:18 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
The Spits should be pretty good next season..obviously they'll be better if DLR joins the team. Their top six forwards could be strong:

Hang-so
Rychel
Vail
Johnson
DLR
Yazkov

They added Koekkoek last year, and Murphy really produced when he was traded from the Petes:

Murphy
Koekkoek
Ebert
Sieloff

That's a pretty solid top four.

The Spits should compete for a top four spot in the west. Lots of talented 19-year-olds.
Wow! Great team indeed. Let's hope it happens. But then, is it like Bergevin said? That they have nothing to say in that matter that it's solely a matter to be discussed between federations?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:32 AM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Let me help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
De La Rose is Fedorov minus hands

Quote:
DLR's big hit on fellow 2nd draftee Artturi Lehkonen

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:53 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

yeah his skating is ridiculous. Couple that with his frame and even if his offensive game got worse, I'd be still pumped to have him.

If he can work on his shot then he'd be a deadly player.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:39 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck View Post
Take a look at the Swedish players who've made a genuine impact in the NHL, then look at where they played after being drafted. If any of you remain excited about De La Rose potentially going to Windsor after doing that, you really shouldn't be.

The Swedish players who have amounted to anything meaningful at all after having played in the CHL can be counted on one finger.
That is due to the fact that very few Swedes of any note ever come to play in the CHL. That trend is slowly starting to change but there are very few comparable examples to top Swedish prospects in the CHL.

Completely backwards, illogical thinking to imply that this somehow would have any tangible affect on DLR.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:01 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Aren't these guys more offensive players? I think DLR fits more in the Landerskog ilk as he's already supposed to be defensively polished and with size/speed/physicality.

The more I think about it, the more the OHL seems like the best route. You have to imagine he'll get much more offensive development for the North American game playing top 6 on Windsor. If he manages to develop an offensive game...sweet jesus.
The risk is that he spends too much time adjusting to the NA game (rink-size/style of play/culture) instead of developing his skills. It all depends on how much of a culture shock it will be for him. For Landeskog it sounded like it was pretty seamless but that's not true for all players.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Yup, my thinking is they could put DLR with either one (or both), allowing Rychel and/or Ho-Sang to have more offensive freedom while DLR takes care of the defensive side on the line.

There's also the fact DLR can play C and they need to replace Koko down the middle. Ho-Sang was supposed to be a center but he spent a good chunk of last season at RW. Vail barely played with Rychel from what I gather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Wow! Great team indeed. Let's hope it happens. But then, is it like Bergevin said? That they have nothing to say in that matter that it's solely a matter to be discussed between federations?
It really comes down to can DLR's agent get his release out of Leksands or not.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 07-06-2013 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Too many typos
Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Yup, my thinking is they could put DLR with either one (or both), allowing Rychel and/or Ho-Sang to have more offensive freedom while DLR takes care of the defensive side on the line.

There's also the fact DLR can play C and they need to replace Koko down the middle. Ho-Sang was supposed to be a center but he spent a good chunk of last season the RW. Vail barely played with Rychel from what I gather.

It really comes to can DLR's agent get his release out of Leksands or not.
Which brings the question...why would Leksands release him? They are going back to the first league next year, why wouldn't they just keep everybody to be sure they ice the best team unless......you can BUY your way out. Would Windsor be willing to do it? Is there an history of a Swedish team that indeed cut their ties with a junior player to let him play in the CHL? Somehow....they are probably not legion...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Which brings the question...why would Leksands release him? They are going back to the first league next year, why wouldn't they just keep everybody to be sure they ice the best team unless......you can BUY your way out. Would Windsor be willing to do it? Is there an history of a Swedish team that indeed cut their ties with a junior player to let him play in the CHL? Somehow....they are probably not legion...
At the end of the day if the player really wants to go you normally accommodate them. It's like letting an a coach go to another team, you don't want to block a persons career path.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:02 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

DLR might never score 20 goals but he's going to be a heck of a player.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:39 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
The Spits should be pretty good next season..obviously they'll be better if DLR joins the team. Their top six forwards could be strong:

Hang-so
Rychel
Vail
Johnson
DLR
Yazkov

They added Koekkoek last year, and Murphy really produced when he was traded from the Petes:

Murphy
Koekkoek
Ebert
Sieloff

That's a pretty solid top four.

The Spits should compete for a top four spot in the west. Lots of talented 19-year-olds.
I'd be shocked if Windsor takes Johnson back after the sexual assault charges, and quite frankly, I can't blame them. De La Rose-Vail-Johnson would be one hell of a shutdown line though.

Marchese will probably take Johnson's place if he doesn't return. If Windsor does get De La Rose, they'll be a very fun team to watch. They'll have a bit of everything up front and a solid defensive corps. Goaltending is suspect though.

That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
This. I really like this pick and I see some uptape offense. He needs to work on his shot, and puck skills but the IQ and position is top notch.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:01 AM
Laboeuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post

I agree. DLR is polish on the defensive zone. He doesn't give up plus with this speed reminds me a bit of Fedorov. However being that said, he doesn't seem to have the offense to be a top 6. Never the less it might come around.

Put him with Galchenyuk and Gallagher who are both offensive players will make the line much bettr as Galchenyuk won't worry much about turnovers even though Galchenyuk himself is polish on defensive zone.

Or put DLR with Eller and you have one heck of a defensive line.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:28 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I agree. DLR is polish on the defensive zone. He doesn't give up plus with this speed reminds me a bit of Fedorov. However being that said, he doesn't seem to have the offense to be a top 6. Never the less it might come around.

Put him with Galchenyuk and Gallagher who are both offensive players will make the line much bettr as Galchenyuk won't worry much about turnovers even though Galchenyuk himself is polish on defensive zone.

Or put DLR with Eller and you have one heck of a defensive line.
Plekanec will settle in as our 3rd line center in the near future......DLR would compliment him very nicely.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
le_sean

Maybe it's me, but I don't really see a problem with his hands. I mean if he could stickhandle like Kovalev he would have been a Top 5 pick. As long as he works on his shot and makes intelligent plays with the puck on his stick, he could be a Top 6 forward. He can be a physical Viktor Stalberg.

He'll be that guy you insert on a line that is struggling just to help them get going.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Maybe it's me, but I don't really see a problem with his hands. I mean if he could stickhandle like Kovalev he would have been a Top 5 pick. As long as he works on his shot and makes intelligent plays with the puck on his stick, he could be a Top 6 forward. He can be a physical Viktor Stalberg.

He'll be that guy you insert on a line that is struggling just to help them get going.
As much as people here want to believe that he might have hands.....he doesn't.

I like the pick because he is big, fast, physical, intelligent, and strong defensively. He should be able to move into the lineup in relatively short order. He was picked right around where he should have been picked and you are right about him going top 5 if he had Kovalev's hands......but that goes for every player in the first two rounds other than goaltenders and midgets.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:30 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
As much as people here want to believe that he might have hands.....he doesn't.

I like the pick because he is big, fast, physical, intelligent, and strong defensively. He should be able to move into the lineup in relatively short order. He was picked right around where he should have been picked and you are right about him going top 5 if he had Kovalev's hands......but that goes for every player in the first two rounds other than goaltenders and midgets.
But for a player with his size and speed, chipping it off the boards and winning a race to the puck is as effective as going inside out on a defenceman.

As for his hands, I just meant he doesn't look like Colby Armstrong out there, I believe he has the skillset to be used in the Top 6.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:00 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

The US NHL Network had a replay of the WJC's with Sweden and USA so I re-watched it to focus on de la Rose. While he didn't stand out too much in the game I thought he played well for a 17 year old. Solid frame and mobility, was aggressive as well. Should be very interesting to see him in Windsor if they can work out a deal.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
But for a player with his size and speed, chipping it off the boards and winning a race to the puck is as effective as going inside out on a defenceman.

As for his hands, I just meant he doesn't look like Colby Armstrong out there, I believe he has the skillset to be used in the Top 6.
That's actually how I see him as well. I see him turning into a top six player, not one who can run a line but one that compliments it. Big, fast, strong, and defensively sound. No star offensively but not inept.

NLHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:49 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

Quote:
Nice to see the word "legion" used outside of the Bible! Kudos!

cphabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2013/07...oin-spitfires/

More DLR quotes about how much he wants to go to Windsor.

Boughner also sees him as a center:

Quote:
Boughner said there’s plenty more offence in de la Rose and that would most likely show playing junior hockey against players his own age.

“He’s a power forward and would add a physical element that we don’t have a lot of,” Boughner said. “He’d be tough to move around the net and would add toughness and grit and is real strong with puck.

“He has plenty of experience on the world stage and with players his own age, he’s shown well. With him, Brady Vail and Gifty (Remy Giftopoulos), it would give us three big guys down the middle (at centre) that are good defensively and add something offensively.”

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote