HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stop being so negative !

Old
07-06-2013, 10:56 AM
marchabsfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I'd be positive if I think our team can win the CUP even before the season starts but now I can even say we are a team that has a sure place in the playoffs. Seriously guys, just watch our line-up, you really think we have a shot at the cup this year, or next year, or next next year?

We've been losers for 20 years and most of these years, especially in the last 10 years, we've been building the team in the same offensive mold, small offensive forwards and it clearly doesn't work yet MB who I had faith with, still does the same thing.. and it got even worst.

Maybe you guys can be positive if your objective is to win the regular season. I'm just sick tired to see our team have an early exit in the playoffs.

If you guys can cheer me up by saying we have a chance of winning the cup by showing facts, then I'd be positive like you guys. Facts like comparing each line with recents cup finalists line and say ours are better. Like Bourque-Plekanec-Briere>Bolland-Toews-Kane or Lucic-Krejci-Horton or Carter-Kopitar-Brown. Or show our defensive squad is a defensive squad build for the playoffs, with size, grit and playoffs experience. Not a wash up 1st defenseman who tends to disappear in the playoffs and it leave us with Subban and the rest of unexperienced, small and soft D. Then there's the goalie, show me we can have faith in him, show me he's clutch in the playoffs like Thomas, Rask, Quick, Crawford.. not a goalie that has 4 wins in his last 4 playoffs (17 games).

Since most of you guys think UFA are "overrated" and happy we don't pay the price to find those big players that we need to complement our smaller players, then tell me how our team will become a cup contender. Oh right? By drafting right? How long will our prospect will be ready? McCarron is coming right? Like in 3-4 years? We don't even know if he's gonna be NHL material, or top 6 material.

mccarron top 6? chances must be like 10%, considering how many teams did not take him, even with his frame. but hey its 10%

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchabsfan View Post
bobby ryan was the occasion we waited for for so long and the price was reasonable.
The timing doesn't make sense for us. MB sees the cup window as in 2-3 years, Ryan is a UFA in 2 years plus he cost 3 young assets. That's a deal for a team looking to win right now. Would you be ok giving up Gallagher plus Tinordi/Beaulieu and a 1st rounder in 2014? Not me.

Plus I find Ryan overrated. Maybe I'll be proven wrong but I saw his production drop to a 53 point pace away from Perry + Getzlaf this past season.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:02 AM
OneSharpMarble

You have to understand that no matter what moves are made people will defend them and try to sugar coat them with platitudes like "we can't judge for X tears" and "what team are you the GM of?"

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I'm not a fan of the Briere signing, but what the Habs paid for him is a baragain compared to Horton, Clowe, Clarkson and co.
And how is it relative to what Ryder got? If we had signed no one and MB said the prices were too steep, I'd be okay with it. But if we are going to overpay for someone at least get someone who address our needs.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
And how is it relative to what Ryder got? If we had signed no one and MB said the prices were too steep, I'd be okay with it. But if we are going to overpay for someone at least get someone who address our needs.
I was pissed at first, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If he can move DD and add a big top 9 winger, then the Briere signing makes more sense.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Go Habs Go

People are negative every summer, its getting old. Why not wait and see how they do?

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:13 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by btallett View Post
I really like the way the roster is. The only tinkering i could forsee or would want to see myself would be us trading DD for a reliable net clearing DMAN.
So which gm do you have compromising photos of ? DD has zero value, the notion we can flip him for a net clearing dman is insanity.

Which brings me to the next point, Insanity is doing the same things over and over and expecting a different outcome. Which is precisely what we have seen, when we get ragdolled by the Ottawa Senators the answer is not to double down on more Charmin soft smurfs. But we do and everyone says " don't worry it will be fine".

I agree that we have good young talent at forward and I want that talent to develop, to do this we need (and have needed for some time) some jam on their lines to open things up. We don't need a clarkson or powe type player just a guy with size who can keep up and bang. That's only canny briere in bizzarro world. For the money we paid DB for two years we could have gotten Matt Hendricks for 4. There are many players like this ilk that address the NEED and won't break the bank. So instead we get the stache who will play 5 or 6 minutes a game and won't dress for many games who is not going to open anything on the ice other than the bench door.

I'm patient, I m down with the long term plan but if we are not ready next year to contend then let's make choices that give our developing talent the suitable environment to assure they become the players we hope they will. Singing DB not only does not advance this long term plan, it delays it significantly with no appreciable short term benefit.

If this makes me negative, I'm okay with that because I bought into MB's master plan even if he's willing to discard it and do the two things he promised he would not ( not try to get better by signing ufa rentals and making the have a team of players with character who are harder to play with)

Last edited by sandysan: 07-06-2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: typo
sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:22 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
People are negative every summer, its getting old. Why not wait and see how they do?
Well first round exit does that to you. Or 20 years of losing.

Also, we do wait to see how we do and being negative the summer is the results of that. Disappointment about last playoffs or non/playoffs. It's been 20 years, you're still not used to it?

Last edited by Rosso Scuderia: 07-06-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
bobby ryan was the occasion we waited for for so long and the price was reasonable.
Would you have paid Gallagher, Collberg and a 1st.

I certainly wouldn't have. Bobby Ryan is easily one of the most overrated players in the league......no thanks.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post

I certainly wouldn't have. Bobby Ryan is easily one of the most overrated players in the league......no thanks.
Well, there's a price to pay for a guy that never scored less than 30 goals (on a 82 games season) since the beginning of his career.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:30 AM
HABSonaroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
So True X2

HABSonaroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:31 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I was pissed at first, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. If he can move DD and add a big top 9 winger, then the Briere signing makes more sense.
Well that's the problem... I'm now hearing : it's a move that makes sense IF we do this and that.... WTF is that? Since when is it working like that? If your team has to temporary look like crap, that means it's crap.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:31 AM
habtastic

Quote:

I wouldn't say THE most overrated, but I am totally fine with Ottawa taking him and giving up those assets NOW.

So prefer Eller, Gally, Collberg, etc. (all the people suggested as equivalents) since in 2 years they will be huge contributors, possibly in their prime and Ryan will be an FA. Let's see what Silfverberg (who impressed me a lot!) and Roesen (sp?) turn into. I'm looking at 2-3 years from now. I've come to peace with the fact that it takes time to build a champion and not making moves prematurely is crucial to that.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
Aside from a neat kick save, Ryder ain't no playoff hero.

Once Briere rounds into form he'll click with guys like Gallagher for 30goals, 30assists easily. Then he'll be even better in the playoffs.

Sleeper move of the summer. Book it.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
CaptainIginla
The king is back

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Ahhh the "real fan" post again.. How does one determine if they're one again?
You have to think that the roster is almost perfect
You have to think its great to finish 2nd in the east even if you get annihilated in the first round
You have to trust management year after year without hesitation because hesitation brings negativity

CaptainIginla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:36 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBergevin View Post
Aside from a neat kick save, Ryder ain't no playoff hero.

Once Briere rounds into form he'll click with guys like Gallagher for 30goals, 30assists easily. Then he'll be even better in the playoffs.

Sleeper move of the summer. Book it.
Prust was the if not one of the sleeper moves last year.

MB

Also, doing nothing can also be a sleeper move. I am totally fine with our forwards - the "smurf"-ness is IMO extremely exaggerated + Parros. We had a great team last year and it was quite offensive. The problem was more the D (though they scored!) when Emelin went down. That's something I don't mind seeing fixed apart from Tinordi being a regular.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:41 AM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainIginla View Post
You have to think that the roster is almost perfect
You have to think its great to finish 2nd in the east even if you get annihilated in the first round
You have to trust management year after year without hesitation because hesitation brings negativity
OR

You have to hate everything management does because you are a real fan of the team and want a championship yesterday.

All this first round annihilation talk is so devoid of looking at the details of what actually happened. Such an overreaction. But only "real fans" care about the glory of the Habs and will not tolerate anything less than what they think is right. Cuts both ways. I say let it play out and also maybe take a longer term view. Yeah it sucks to have to wait, but when you switch GMs, you should set the clock back to give them time to put their plan in place. I'll trust the guy who was a part of building the team who won the cup twice in 4 years. He knows what he's doing, IMO.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:41 AM
marchabsfan

Quote:

given I sign ryan, yes I wouldve.

collberg= easily most overated prospect here, people think he'll score 25+ in this league, we'll see...

gallagher very valuable + a 1st rounder aka a la mccarron??

I would do the deal. gotta give to receive. my take on such a deal would be that I would bet receiving the most talented player in the deal. players we have a tough time drafting or signing ufa

marchabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:46 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

I think MB signed a small French Canadian forward just to annoy the HFBoards members, knowing full well it was the perfect recipe to make this place explode in negativity.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemiseBleuHonnete View Post
Well that's the problem... I'm now hearing : it's a move that makes sense IF we do this and that.... WTF is that? Since when is it working like that? If your team has to temporary look like crap, that means it's crap.
You do realize that the team won't play a meaningful game until October. Therefore, if at this point and time they are "crap" in your opinion......it really shouldn't matter and future moves suddenly become quite relevant.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
I think MB signed a small French Canadian forward just to annoy the HFBoards members, knowing full well it was the perfect recipe to make this place explode in negativity.
You and your obsession that people here hate french canadian players. Chill dude. Nobody here has even talk about Briere being a french canadian except you.

People here hate the signing because Briere snubbed us before and also the fact that he's another midget that doesn't fill a urgent need.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:51 AM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Now that's not very positive. Namaste brother.

FireBergevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
given I sign ryan, yes I wouldve.

collberg= easily most overated prospect here, people think he'll score 25+ in this league, we'll see...

gallagher very valuable + a 1st rounder aka a la mccarron??

I would do the deal. gotta give to receive. my take on such a deal would be that I would bet receiving the most talented player in the deal. players we have a tough time drafting or signing ufa
You call Collberg overrated based solely on this seasons stats yet you overlook the glorified Michael Ryder clone in Bobby Ryan and the fact that Anaheim has been trying to move this floater forever.

Ryan was absolutely terrible last season and has only broke 70 points once in his career despite prime icetime with two of the best players in the game. He was removed from the big line last year because of his poor play and Getzlaf had a bounce back season......coincidence?

Old
07-06-2013, 11:55 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
It's allowed because this is a hockey discussion board where everyone as a right to voice their own opinions whether we agree with them or not. Some here like the direction Habs management is taking this team while others not so much and they should have a right to criticize.. I will respect others opinions here even if I don't agree with them and that's what this place is all about.

Do I hate the players, coaches and management? No I don't but if the Habs make a move that I don't like I'm gonna voice my displeasure over it.. If however they make a good move I'll show my support and applaud the move..

If not criticizing or being negative at times toward some players, the coaches or management is what makes someone a "real fan" then I guess I'll never be considered a "real fan".
I get that, and of course we are allowed and need to criticise. I draw the line when some posters just look for any excuse to bash members of this team irrationally. Irationally is the key word. Being negative does not equal being rational, contrary to what some people think.

Oh and just plain insulting the players I think is disgraceful. It channels the inner Bob Gainey in me and makes me furious

I think the point is we can't expect to be happy all the time about what happens around the team. There are time when we should be furious (example : Gomez - McDonagh trade) but being furious all the friggin time because the team is not being built exactly like we want it to be is just recipe for frustration. Or maybe some people channel their frustration here. Still it makes reading trough threads here painful reading constant irrational *****ing. People just don't think before posting sometimes.

I'm just tired of going on HFboards, after enduring days of work with collegues constantly *****ing behind each other's back only to see all whining and *****ing here. It seems to me everyone whines constantly in this friggin province, it makes me furious (which makes me whine too ). Anyways it seems to me HFboards has seen better days, its just ANGRY, MAD, ANGRY, MAD now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet
You call Collberg overrated based solely on this seasons stats yet you overlook the glorified Michael Ryder clone in Bobby Ryan and the fact that Anaheim has been trying to move this floater forever.

Ryan was absolutely terrible last season and has only broke 70 points once in his career despite prime icetime with two of the best players in the game. He was removed from the big line last year because of his poor play and Getzlaf had a bounce back season......coincidence?
At the risk of moving off topic : Thats an interesting read on Ryan. He might be a splendid case of overrated big name-itis (which makes me surprised NYR didn't end up with him). Hopefully it turns out Ottawa overpaid big time. Silfveberg looked so promising to me, I'm not sure he won't turn out better than Ryan. More complete at least definitely.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:01 PM
sandysan

Quote:
You do realize that the team won't play a meaningful game until October. Therefore, if at this point and time they are "crap" in your opinion......it really shouldn't matter and future moves suddenly become quite relevant.
So it does not bother you that MB did precisely the opposite of what he said he would do ( try to make the team by signing UFA rentals and make the team harder to play against) because he has till October to reverse this back step and have us end somewhere near where we were last year?

I have to ask, how did that work out to us? Also holding a GM to his publically stated plan to make this team better is not being negative, its holding management accountable. That's a bad thing now?

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote