HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

[WPG/MIN] Devin Setoguchi to Winnipeg for 2014 2nd round pick

Old
07-06-2013, 02:22 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
They say the mark of a good deal is when both parties feel they got robbed. I like this deal, and hope the Jets can find someone that can dish some delicious rubber to Setoguchi. A line of Kane - Burmi - Seto or Kane - Scheifele - Seto would be pretty swell.

DespoticNewt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

vCash: 500
It's a fair return. I would have rather seen us use Seto as a trading chip for a top four defenseman. A bit surprising we traded him within the division to Winnipeg. I guess Fletcher isn't too concerned about Gooch burning us in next season.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:20 AM
heilongjetsfan

vCash: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
The division's like 1/4 of the league now. So, tired notions of inter-divisional trades are history
I disagree. I would say they're significantly more important than they've been since the league moved over to 6 divisions. There's 4 playoff spots for each division. Unless you're really sure you're winning the trade, you probably don't want to trade in-division.

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:38 AM
bazaaa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Without Cullen, he was lost. Completely lost. Zero impact.
This is what I posted on the Jets forum. In his goal highlight reel, almost every goal was from a great pass from Cullen. Jets need someone who can give him the puck. HOpefully Scheif can do that.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

An interesting deal.

The Wild IMO should have got more for him, say a mid range prospect as well as the 2nd rounder.

The Jets get good player (not great by any means) for possibly a high 2nd round pick. This could be a good trade for both teams depending on what the 2nd round pick brings to the Wild, and if Seto re-signs in Winnipeg. He has hinted in the past that he may want to go back to California at some point. It's too early to judge who got the better of the deal.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:18 AM
DocBrown
Lost bet to habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
An interesting deal.

The Wild IMO should have got more for him, say a mid range prospect as well as the 2nd rounder.

The Jets get good player (not great by any means) for possibly a high 2nd round pick. This could be a good trade for both teams depending on what the 2nd round pick brings to the Wild, and if Seto re-signs in Winnipeg. He has hinted in the past that he may want to go back to California at some point. It's too early to judge who got the better of the deal.
Disagree, I think its fairly clear Winnipeg got Setoguchi for a great value regardless of if he re-signs, or where the pick ends up being.

He's a consistent 20 goal scorer (even before he met cullen!).

DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:34 AM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
An interesting deal.

If he wants to go that bad - depending on the situation - we may flip him at the deadline. But given our complete lack of organizational RW talent, we'd like to keep him.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:41 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litework View Post
Well Setoguchi doesnt score 20 goals every single year does he? My point is questioning the value of a player who does nothing but score 20 goals, barely I might add.
Every full year in the NHL (on pace during the lockout season) he has except one in which he scored 19.....so I would say yes he does score 20 goals every year.

veganhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:44 PM
DocBrown
Lost bet to habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
If he wants to go that bad - depending on the situation - we may flip him at the deadline. But given our complete lack of organizational RW talent, we'd like to keep him.
Would be interesting to see if Chevy can get more than a second for him if he has to flip him at the deadline......

Old
07-06-2013, 12:53 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

As a Sharks fan I've seen both good and bad Seto. He is a goal scorer who can play physical when he wants too. The problem is that he goes into ghost mode way too often.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:00 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

I like this deal a lot

The Jets definitely needed more offense and while Setoguchi is a bit of a project he's a scorer at his best

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:23 PM
DocBrown
Lost bet to habsawce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
I like this deal a lot

The Jets definitely needed more offense and while Setoguchi is a bit of a project he's a scorer at his best
Its a great deal, with very little risk. The Jets gave up a second for a top 6 fwd. Filled an immediate hole, AND he's perfect trade deadline material if they can't resign him or don't want to.

Oduya got the Jets a 2nd AND 3rd round pick at the deadline to playh on the 3rd pairing for Chicago (he's top 4 now), no way Seto doesn't AT LEAST get that.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Che vy Teemuchuk

I love the deal of course. But I just worry about Noel's lines / usage. I can see him trying to shove

EKane / Olli the Joke / Setoguchi

onto 1 line. 3 guys who know how to shoot but the only thing they pass on the ice is wind. I think Kane & Setoguchi could thrive on the same line with a true, pure puck distributor type of Centre. That's currently not Burmi either. And I'd love Scheif to be it NOW, but he's a rookie and an all-around kinda guy.

I'm very hopeful and so happy that our GM goes out and addresses holes in the summer to some degree. Just not sure how things will mesh. But it's the first real training camp the franchise will have had since September 2010 so there's time to work on chemistry.

Che vy Teemuchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:33 PM
allan5oh
Adv stats blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Would be interesting to see if Chevy can get more than a second for him if he has to flip him at the deadline......
That's what I was getting at but didn't want to rile up wild fans.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Granlund 64

Rational Wild fans would be okay with it. Seto, flat out, didn't fit with this team and was completely invisible without Cullen. He did start to play with a more physical edge (I believe he finished 2nd on the team in hits), but for a supposed goal scorer he was quite disappointing.

He was a good soldier while he was here and handled his demotion to the fourth line this year very well. I wish him nothing but the best and look forward to facing him and the Jets regularly this year.

Granlund 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
blueandgoldguy

Good deal for the Jets. Fill a need at second-line rw.

Glad to hear Seto is a good skater - Jets need someone like that to keep up with Kane.

Chevy took advantage of a team in cap hell and underpaid for a top-6 player. Most top-sixers require multiple draft picks even those with one year left on their contract. Good job Chevy!

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Oiltankjob Fail

If I was a Jets fan I would be happy with this trade for sure, a what is for a what if.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:31 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
It's a fair return. I would have rather seen us use Seto as a trading chip for a top four defenseman. A bit surprising we traded him within the division to Winnipeg. I guess Fletcher isn't too concerned about Gooch burning us in next season.
Well... without Cullen Setoguchi was completely invisible. He doesn't have Cullen in Winnipeg.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Hate this for Minnesota, love it for Winnipeg. A 2nd? Wow.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote