HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-06-2013, 01:06 PM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
Is Pietrangelo worth 4 1sts ?
If all of the picks are 25 or above, I'm okay with that.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:12 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger Danger View Post
ummm, idk? thats a very good question. I think I would rather trade for him.
They would have to clear some salary(Mez,Grossman), but if you can get Pietrangelo without giving up roster players/prospects, you do that everytime.

Forwards: Giroux(25), Simmonds(24), Voracek(23), Schenn(21), Couturier(20), Laughton(19),
Cousins(19)

Defense: Pietrangelo(23), Schenn(23), Coburn(28), Gus(24), Morin(17), Hagg(18), Gostisbehere(20)

They would have such a young core with most of those guys locked up or under their control for a long time. They also have Lecavalier and Hartnell who should be able to produce well for the next 3 years. Add Pietrangelo to this team today and they turn into a contender immediately.

I can't see them letting him go for just picks though. It would take a pretty big package.

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:18 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Any contract over 3 years long over 11 mil per and stl balks. Hell yes he's worth 4 1sts

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Fresh34

Pietrangelo is not going anywhere

Fresh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
If all of the picks are 25 or above, I'm okay with that.
That would mean they would be in the conference finals every year for the next four years? Do you really see that happing just by adding Pietrangelo and losing some salary elsewhere?

There's only two players in the league that are worth that kind of deal, and they both play in Pittsburgh. Not only would we be taking on another 8 plus million dollar hit; we would also be losing four first round players with cheap hits. Those types of contracts are just as important to a winning team in the cap era. We would start to get way too top heavy without any depth. It's something they would have to think long and hard about before sending an OS at Pietrangelo.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mota

I think the only way he Pietrangelo lands here is if the Flyers sign him to a hefty offer sheet and agree to send Coburn and Read to St. Louis for a 1st or two back.

That, or a ridiculous, unrealistic three way deal.

To Philly: Pietrangelo

To EDM: Coburn, PHI 1st, Talbot

To STL: Yakupov, Read, Mez

Something like that.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Any contract over 3 years long over 11 mil per and stl balks. Hell yes he's worth 4 1sts
That's what we though with the Preds

Flyers Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:32 PM
Phillyfan28

Id much rather move Brayden then Coots.

Scottie (if possible)
Brayden
Read
Laughton
Coburn
Mez
Grossman
Cousins
Anybody in minors except maybe Stolarz
First/Second Round Picks

would all be available in the right deal IMO

If we acquired him though, the Streit signing looks bad because he would have to go to your 3rd pairing, no? Petri 1st, Kimmo 2nd, Streit 3rd, Gus ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think the only way he Pietrangelo lands here is if the Flyers sign him to a hefty offer sheet and agree to send Coburn and Read to St. Louis for a 1st or two back.

Something like that.
That would never happen, EDM gets hosed.

Phillyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:35 PM
OrangeCrush10

I love to have pietrangelo but I won't get my hopes up. Even with out him I believe this team will make some noise next year. Also I'm sure 20+ other Gms are keeping tabs as well on him. Either way can't wait for opening night.

OrangeCrush10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Flyers Time

If St Louis signs Stewert to 5 mill, they will have a hell of a time signing Pietrangelo

Flyers Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:46 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Blues fan coming in peace here.

You hit the nail on the head. Pietrangelo isn't going anywhere. You want to offer sheet him? We match it and offer sheet your next 3 RFAs. It's not a game you want to get into.
You made a lot of good points, but they were all trumped by the silliness of the bolded part of your statement.

We lock all of our valuable RFAs up WELL in advance (like a full year in advance) of the time when you could start offer sheeting them. That fact alone makes this a hollow threat, unless there's some CBA loophole that allows you to offer sheet players before their contract is up...

But just for fun, let's just say we let one of our best players get to summer without a contract... In order to get your "offer sheet revenge" on us, you would need to offer more than market value for one of our players, with the chance that we laugh, take your draft picks, and stick you with a bad contract. Is that really a chance a team like yours can afford to take, or a chance they are willing to take? I mean do your really expect me to believe your team (the same team which is having trouble signing the face of their franchise to a long term deal) will offer sheet the largely unproven Brayden Schenn for 6M?!?

Come on now buddy. You seem like a bright enough guy (based on the rest of your post) to realize that the "we'll offer sheet your RFAs too" threat is a ridiculous one. The only way an NHL GM will ever offer sheet another team's player is if it makes sense both on-ice and financially. And if we're dumb enough to let one of our players make it to RFA status and it makes financial and hockey sense for your team to offer sheet him, I would hope your GM would do so... That's the entire point of offer sheets.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:52 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I have mixed views as to whether he's worth 4 firsts.

Well we have the Chris Gratton signing to look back on. The Flyers would have forfeited 4 first round picks to Tampa Bay, but to regain them they traded Mikael Renberg & Karl Dykhuis for those picks.

Those picks ended up being #22(Simon Gagne), #23(Maxime Ouellet), #28(Justin Williams), #23 (Although Flyers then moved down with Ottawa to #27 and took Jeff Woywitka with Ottawa taking Tim Gleason at #23)

Since Simon Gagne was drafted here are the players the Flyers took in the 20s

98: 22nd Simon Gagne
99: 22nd Maxime Oullet
00: 28th Justin Williams
01: 27th Jeff Woywitka
03: 24th Mike Richards
05: 29th Steve Downie
06: 22nd Claude Giroux
08: 19th(close enough) Luca Sbisa
12: 20th Scott Laughton

3 top line forwards in Gagne, Richards, and Giroux out of 9 picks. Pretty good success IMO.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Voracek for Pietrangelo.
I like Voracek, but this is a silly offer. A 23 year old 1D is worth quite a bit more than a 25 year old 1LW. Just is. A 23 year old 1D holds very similar value to a 25 year old 1C... like Giroux.

I still believe Pietrangelo tries all he can to get more money, but ultimately we say something like we said with Subban... "Wow, he signed for that". He'll get the standard bridge contract where he is dramatically underpaid.

An OS pisses off the Blues and their fans, but doesn't get you Pietrangelo unless you're willing to cripple our team in the process.

I actually do believe that we're probably calling the Blues daily hoping they'll deal, but I guarantee you if we do make a trade, there will be a significant contingent of homers that are nauseous over the price we pay.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:07 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I like Voracek, but this is a silly offer. A 23 year old 1D is worth quite a bit more than a 25 year old 1LW. Just is. A 23 year old 1D holds very similar value to a 25 year old 1C... like Giroux.

I still believe Pietrangelo tries all he can to get more money, but ultimately we say something like we said with Subban... "Wow, he signed for that". He'll get the standard bridge contract where he is dramatically underpaid.

An OS pisses off the Blues and their fans, but doesn't get you Pietrangelo unless you're willing to cripple our team in the process.

I actually do believe that we're probably calling the Blues daily hoping they'll deal, but I guarantee you if we do make a trade, there will be a significant contingent of homers that are nauseous over the price we pay.
Not gonna disagree with you but Voracek isnt even 24 yet...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:10 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post

Something like that.
I rank this trade pretty good for Philadelphia (get their guy, but give up 4 roster players and a 1st), very good for Edmonton and poor for St. Louis. Yakupov + Read + Meszaros isn't close to Pietrangelo's worth.

I'm fine if Holmgren doesn't blow up the team to get an honest-to-goodness #1 Dman. It would certainly decrease the drama around here and the visitation of the PietrAvengers.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Not gonna disagree with you but Voracek isnt even 24 yet...
You're right, my mistake. Point still stands though. Voracek just doesn't get you Pietrangelo.

Voracek, Coburn and a 1st? Starts the conversation. Probably doesn't end it.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:16 PM
BernieParent

On another front, does anyone think Ritch Winter's phone has rung at all with an offer for Bryzgalov?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:16 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Blues fans keep telling themselves that Piety will stay with the blues, why isn't he signed yet then?

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
On another front, does anyone think Ritch Winter's phone has rung at all with an offer for Bryzgalov?
No. The whole league knows he sucks.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Blues fans keep telling themselves that Piety will stay with the blues, why isn't he signed yet then?
I think he DOES stay with the blues, but that is kinda curious.....

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post

His delay does not mean anything at all. How long did it take Subban to sign with MTL?
Probably just working out details to a contract.

Mkoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:24 PM
Stranger Danger
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
His delay does not mean anything at all. How long did it take Subban to sign with MTL?
Maybe, but not certainly. It may very well mean nothing at all, or it may mean something is up.

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:37 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...hl-free-agency

Pretty good read for what Homer has done since the Draft. If anyone is interested.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77 View Post
I have mixed views as to whether he's worth 4 firsts.

Well we have the Chris Gratton signing to look back on. The Flyers would have forfeited 4 first round picks to Tampa Bay, but to regain them they traded Mikael Renberg & Karl Dykhuis for those picks.

Those picks ended up being #22(Simon Gagne), #23(Maxime Ouellet), #28(Justin Williams), #23 (Although Flyers then moved down with Ottawa to #27 and took Jeff Woywitka with Ottawa taking Tim Gleason at #23)

Since Simon Gagne was drafted here are the players the Flyers took in the 20s

98: 22nd Simon Gagne
99: 22nd Maxime Oullet
00: 28th Justin Williams
01: 27th Jeff Woywitka
03: 24th Mike Richards
05: 29th Steve Downie
06: 22nd Claude Giroux
08: 19th(close enough) Luca Sbisa
12: 20th Scott Laughton

3 top line forwards in Gagne, Richards, and Giroux out of 9 picks. Pretty good success IMO.
williams is another top line forward.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
This.

High end RFAs entering the debatable "bridge" contract period will always have the back and forth with their teams.

Do you...

1. Sign for the maximum 8 years where they buy out all of your remaining RFA years and several UFA years on a sizable deal. See Harmonic's deal... though he's not in Pietrangelo's league

2. Sign the traditional bridge contract where all of your (or all but 1 of) RFA leaving you line up for a big deal at a ripe age. See Giroux and Subban.