HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Seth Lake

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
My Preds speed line Bourque-Cullen-Stalberg
I'm looking forward to seeing Cullen and Stalberg pair up 4 on 4. Good luck catching those two...

Old
07-06-2013, 10:47 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing Cullen and Stalberg pair up 4 on 4. Good luck catching those two...
Agreed, I think the two can fueling each other.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:49 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
2.5mil/per yr.
Well, it's not my money. And, if it got up to 2.5/yr, i'm pretty confident that's because there was someone else out there willing to pay 2.25/yr.

If you want UFA's, you'll have to pay.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:16 AM
tserberis*

I would not get my hopes high on Beck, Forsberg or any other offensive kid in this organization.

In 4 year following Preds we only had 2 who stayed reliable: Wilson and Bourque.
Although Wilson took 4 years to get with the program.

This team all about D and we only depelop D and DF.

Outside of Hartnell and Erat I can't recall anyone else that we develop to a true top liner.

This can't be overlooked. That is a huge problem.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:40 AM
drwpreds

More praise for Preds moves:

USA Today- #4 on "most improved teams" list:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...olumn/2493505/

Old
07-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Jubal

So most everyone who isn't a Preds fan is saying we did great, with the exception of a few, and 85% of the Preds fanbase thinks we're awful and doomed. So, same with the draft?

Old
07-06-2013, 12:04 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
More praise for Preds moves:

USA Today- #4 on "most improved teams" list:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...olumn/2493505/
I would question the Red Wings and Oilers at having a better signing day than the Preds. I would have them above those two.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:11 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
I too have high hopes for Beck, does anyone here think he'll make the team or is it more likely he'll spend another year in Milwaukee?
I think he can make the team it will all depend on whether poile can and will move spaling and smith. They are both basically occupying one spot, and if the both leave that spot becomrs Beck's

Old
07-06-2013, 12:13 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
So most everyone who isn't a Preds fan is saying we did great, with the exception of a few, and 85% of the Preds fanbase thinks we're awful and doomed. So, same with the draft?

Well, most wanted a star in their mind "top 6 forward".

They didn't get what they wanted and things didn't go exactly their way.

Who cares if the team just got a hell if a lot better and we are going to actually depend on are own young guys Wilson, Smith, Forsberg, Borki, Horny, and Beck to do their job.

WE DIDN'T GET THE OLD INJURIED FA WE WANTED DAMNIT!.!..!

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-06-2013 at 12:31 PM. Reason: overboard
Old
07-06-2013, 12:28 PM
Tennman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
Well, it's not my money. And, if it got up to 2.5/yr, i'm pretty confident that's because there was someone else out there willing to pay 2.25/yr.

If you want UFA's, you'll have to pay.
So you don't go to games or buy preds merchandise?

I'm not unhappy with the signings just not sure about the amount and term. I hope it works the way DP plans but only time will tell.

Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-06-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: politics
Old
07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
jhaf1210

I think there is no doubt we are a better team today than we were yesterday morning, but I still think we are going to have serious trouble scoring. DP did a great job given the FA class that was in front of him, no one in that class was going to be the "home run" everyone is looking for. And between the assets he added and what we already have, that gives him tons of flexibility to move a couple pieces to try and find some scoring before the season, or ride it out until the trade deadline and see where we sit. Would love to see them try and trade to get a #1 center before the season and think we have the assets to do it, but with so many players who have yet to prove they consistently produce at the NHL level we will probably just sit tight for now.

Old
07-06-2013, 12:54 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Preds may have some trouble scoring but so will the other team. If Jones is placed on the other pairing with Klein. it's going to be 50 minutes of hell and you only have 10 minutes to score on Rinne

Old
07-06-2013, 01:14 PM
Filipthefuture

An updated capgeek says we have 7 mill more in cap space after the sk update. So with that and the fact we have to many of the same player do you all think we are really done this offseason. Or you do you think we may make that big player signing next season with a better FA class

Old
07-06-2013, 01:17 PM
jhaf1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Preds may have some trouble scoring but so will the other team. If Jones is placed on the other pairing with Klein. it's going to be 50 minutes of hell and you only have 10 minutes to score on Rinne
I agree our defense should be killer, but if we can't score three goals a game it is going to be tough to beat Chicago, St Louis or Dallas on a nightly basis much less in the playoffs when those goals are more difficult to come by. Until we find someone who can produce at a near point per game pace it is going to be tough to get past the first round or even into the playoffs with the new divisions.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:24 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
So you don't go to games or buy preds merchandise?

I'm not unhappy with the signings just not sure about the amount and term. I hope it works the way DP plans but only time will tell.
I do. I attend anywhere btwn 2-5 home games a year (depending on schedule, weather, etc) - I live in Knoxville. I also usually plan one large road trip around a Preds game.

My point was that my ticket prices aren't going down whether or not they spent money on Eric Nystrom. What difference does it make to my wallet if Nystrom signs for 1.5 or 2.5? None.

So I see no sense in complaining about dollar amounts of what some folks think is a "bad" contract before the guy even plays a game. Everyone in the league has a bad contract or two. It's the cost of doing business.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:27 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I think he can make the team it will all depend on whether poile can and will move spaling and smith. They are both basically occupying one spot, and if the both leave that spot becomrs Beck's
My concern with Beck is the sophomore slump. I've seen it too many times to discount it. Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly possible.

I think we loaded up on bottom 6, gritty players, in part, so Poile has more pieces to trade. Smith, Spaling, Goose, Fisher, possibly Leggy (thought he had a NMC), along with prospects and picks give Poile the pieces to make a trade for a top 3 or top 6 forward. With the addition of Jones, he also could move Klein, Ellis, Eckholm, or Bartley. Klein, Leggy, and a pick/prospect would easily bring back a top 6, maybe a top 3 guy. The Preds have a lot of flexibility right now.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:30 PM
alexmanu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
My concern with Beck is the sophomore slump. I've seen it too many times to discount it. Not saying it will happen, but it's certainly possible.

I think we loaded up on bottom 6, gritty players, in part, so Poile has more pieces to trade. Smith, Spaling, Goose, Fisher, possibly Leggy (thought he had a NMC), along with prospects and picks give Poile the pieces to make a trade for a top 3 or top 6 forward. With the addition of Jones, he also could move Klein, Ellis, Eckholm, or Bartley. Klein, Leggy, and a pick/prospect would easily bring back a top 6, maybe a top 3 guy. The Preds have a lot of flexibility right now.
I'd make the move for Vanek in all honesty. Maybe we could get him long-term if he likes it in Nashville.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:33 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaf1210 View Post
I agree our defense should be killer, but if we can't score three goals a game it is going to be tough to beat Chicago, St Louis or Dallas on a nightly basis much less in the playoffs when those goals are more difficult to come by. Until we find someone who can produce at a near point per game pace it is going to be tough to get past the first round or even into the playoffs with the new divisions.
FWIW, the past two Cup champs where we actually had a full season - Kings and Bruins - neither had a PPG scorer.

I get your point, we do need more offensive punch if we really want to be considered cup contenders.

But, in todays capped NHL, there are no complete teams. Everyone's lacking something.

We might go into the playoffs with the best goaltender, and best defense in the NHL. If we get someone to step up offensively, then we'll win. If not, then we lose.

Same thing with even the mightly Blackhawks - the past two years they went in with a high flying offense and solid D, and shaky goaltending, and had two first round flameouts.

It's a tournament sport - you get in, you get hot, you win. If you don't, you go home.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:36 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:

But won't that open up a more holes than what a top 3/6 guy might provide?

I don't care how many goals we score, a 2nd and 3rd pairing consisting of Jones, Ekholm, Bartley and Ellis is drafting in the top 5 again next year.

There's not a whole lot of tradeable assets that would bring back the high end forward. The farms empty and the guys we do have that are worth something are playing major roles on the team.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:42 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
But won't that open up a more holes than what a top 3/6 guy might provide?

I don't care how many goals we score, a 2nd and 3rd pairing consisting of Jones, Ekholm, Bartley and Ellis is drafting in the top 5 again next year.

There's not a whole lot of tradeable assets that would bring back the high end forward. The farms empty and the guys we do have that are worth something are playing major roles on the team.
True. Dealing Klein this summer would leave a big hole. Replace Klein w/ Eckholm, add Leggy and throw in a 1st. After Jones has a year under his belt, then dealing Klein is easier to take.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Byrddog

At his moment there is 7mil in cap left but a committed salary expenditure of almost 61 mil. This does not include Spaling, Jones, Forsberg which will be about 5.5 in cap and about 4 mil in actual salary. There are going to be some players moved the question is for what? If the target is a top 6 guy Leggy or Fish are gone Goose will be gone Smith as well. If a top 6 guy is the goal he will need to remove the same amount in actual salary and it would be a good bet that he will attempt to even out the actual salary with the cap.

Im astounded by to things. 1 the team is committed to over 60 mil in salary, 2 The quality of offense that is signed at the 60 mil mark is far below what I would expect.. This team will struggle in the division

Old
07-06-2013, 01:58 PM
jhaf1210

Quote:
True. Dealing Klein this summer would leave a big hole. Replace Klein w/ Eckholm, add Leggy and throw in a 1st. After Jones has a year under his belt, then dealing Klein is easier to take.
I don't know, if you could find a Fankie Bouillon/Hall Gill type for cheap, then that should give you some flexibility to bring the youngsters along slow and pick and choose what situations you put them in. I know he takes a lot of abuse and some deservedly so, but Klein is a good player just not sure how he fits in with the youngsters.

Old
07-06-2013, 02:12 PM
INDhockeyfan

My biggest worry right now is the PK without Gill. We've got Weber and Klein but who else is going to play the PK? Josi and Bartley? Jones? Whoever it is that is going to be 2 very young guys on the PK. Trading Klein would be a PK disaster.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:31 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I highly doubt Trotz puts Jones on the PK immediately unless he sees something in TC and practice. Klein, Weber, Josi and Bartley can handle the PK time. Weber and Josi will also pull PP time, with Ellis and Jones getting time on the PP as well.

You have to remember that some of the newly added forwards can also play on the PK. Plus we still have Fish, Legwand and Spaling to fill in.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Jagr is all but gone for those that may have wanted him.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/07/06...-for-canadiens

Closed Thread