HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Simon Gagne remains unsigned

Old
07-05-2013, 05:19 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
His actual salary this year was only $2m...
True. Was thinking in terms of cap hit.

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:26 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I'll say it.

I'd rather have Laughton on a wing than Gagne back. I know Gagne is a hometown hero and all around swell guy, but he's not that good anymore and frankly, he's a huge injury liability over an 82 game season.

I'd be fine with even giving several of the AHL kids a shot to earn a roster slot as well before throwing 2 million dollars at Gagne.
I love Gagne, but you are bang on.

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 05:29 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

vCash: 500
I personally would love to see gagne retire in orange and black. Make it happen, he still has some speed, got his neck fixed, and can score. Is there a better player out there for 2-2.5? After how they traded him to Tampa, they should make up for it, in my mind at least.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 06:14 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerTime View Post
I love Gagne, but you are bang on.
Didn't seem that way last season where he ran his way up the lineup quickly skating with Giroux and Voracek.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 08:09 PM
CyborgLindros

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Didn't seem that way last season where he ran his way up the lineup quickly skating with Giroux and Voracek.
Love Gagne, but did he really run his way up the lineup? or did Hartnell just run his way down? Other Superstars on G's line this year included, Mcginn (pretty good option for less the Gagne) Rinaldo (I realize it was to prove a point), Read, and Briere. Point being it didn't take much to get time on that first line if you had a few hot games. 11 points in 27 games isn't exactly making me think he's a player who must return with all this young talent laying around. (sorry Gagne)

CyborgLindros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2013, 10:10 PM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
We could fit Gagne under 2.50m to have breathing room. So he must want more than that.

This leads me to speculate that a deal will get done should they move Meszaros or that they have no plan to move Meszaros.

Out of respect for Gagne, he shouldn't be asked to just wait around for the Flyers to make up their mind. He has a family to think about.

That means that Laughton, McGinn, Akeson, Talbot (promotionary), Flanagan, Raffl, and Straka are likely competing for the 9th forward.
Yup. Maybe we should just let these guys battle it out for that spot and save $$$ for Pronger LTIR. Sorry Simon. Lots of love and respect but if you want that much we'll go with the kids!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:45 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
Yup. Maybe we should just let these guys battle it out for that spot and save $$$ for Pronger LTIR. Sorry Simon. Lots of love and respect but if you want that much we'll go with the kids!
I agree with this.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:02 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by poneill27 View Post
if that's how they treat em I hope he signs with pittsburgh

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:23 AM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
if that's how they treat em I hope he signs with pittsburgh
Let him. Quite frankly he doesn't have enough left in the tank for anybody to be nervous about him coming back to burn us or anything.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:00 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
Let him. Quite frankly he doesn't have enough left in the tank for anybody to be nervous about him coming back to burn us or anything.
Its not being worried about being burnt, its about being loyal to those who have worn the jersey and sacrificed their body to extreme measures for the Flyers.

Gagne ranks up with Kimmo, Lappy, Pronger ect and deserves to retire here.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:41 AM
thelos
Bunk

I see no reason not to sign Gagne as the 9th forward

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:14 AM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
just opinion but I def think he could. hes not gonna blow anybody away but he knows where the good real estate is and could pot 20 in the right situation. after the way he was treated before this could be fuel to the fire if they insult him with a minimum deal or somesuch

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:11 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
I'll say it.

I'd rather have Laughton on a wing than Gagne back. I know Gagne is a hometown hero and all around swell guy, but he's not that good anymore and frankly, he's a huge injury liability over an 82 game season.

I'd be fine with even giving several of the AHL kids a shot to earn a roster slot as well before throwing 2 million dollars at Gagne.
i love Gagne as well, but I am with you. let the kids play. I know some Flyer fans would love to bring back guys like Prospal, Zubrus, Umberger ect ect as well instead of playing the kids.

EDIT: Dont get me wrong, i would not be upset if they signed him to a 1 year deal at good money, but I just dont know if they can swing it capwise. Unless they dump a contract which they likely may need to do just to get Gus in

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Its not being worried about being burnt, its about being loyal to those who have worn the jersey and sacrificed their body to extreme measures for the Flyers.

He's welcome to retire right now and I'll hold an opening game ceremony and even give him some spot in the organization.

Loyalty is one thing, but letting it hurt the team is quite another.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:32 AM
flyershockey

Gagne had 5 goals in 38 games this past season. People need to realize that he's not even close to the same player that he once was. I have a lot of confidence that a guy like McGinn could step in and fill the third line winger role.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Flyers2point0

I think they'll sign Gagne to a low cap hit but only after we clear some cap space. He deserves to retire here and played pretty well last year for his age. We currently have -$1,053,522 in cap space so I can see another move or two happening before any more signings are made. Gus hasn't been signed yet either.

Flyers2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

I think people forget that Gagne is still pretty fast and defensively responsible and are looking too hard at the goals/points aspect. It's not unrealistic to think in an 82 game season he could do something like 13G 25A... I'll take that anyday for about $2 mill from my third line winger, that paired with Couturier could be solid in their own end. And the cap space is there, one of Mez or Coburn will be moved within the coming days, just too many blueliners, making too much money, with not enough spots.

Brostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:29 PM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brostradamus View Post
I think people forget that Gagne is still pretty fast and defensively responsible and are looking too hard at the goals/points aspect. It's not unrealistic to think in an 82 game season he could do something like 13G 25A... I'll take that anyday for about $2 mill from my third line winger, that paired with Couturier could be solid in their own end. And the cap space is there, one of Mez or Coburn will be moved within the coming days, just too many blueliners, making too much money, with not enough spots.
'nuff said. +1.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:02 PM
bennysflyers16

Hope he signs for 2 or less. But we can't do it till Mezz is gone anyways.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Unstable

Quote:
This is how I feel. Defensively responsible so good on the checking line, but offensively good enough to help Couts develop.

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

Absolutely no reason to bring him back. Let one of the young guys have that spot for less $$.. Sorry but if you watched the games you saw a guy that was nowhere near the guy he once was. Can't afford to be sentimental about it, that only hurts the team.

Calderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

Gagne probably feels he can play another 5 years. Talk of him retiring here is premature.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:09 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Which means he would probably be about a 20 point forward as I'm as likely to play 82 games next season as Simon Gagne.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:36 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Which means he would probably be about a 20 point forward as I'm as likely to play 82 games next season as Simon Gagne.
Why? He missed no time last season albeit in a a shortened season but his health problems before that were linked to the mass on the back of his neck which has since been removed. Obviously he's getting up there in age so he may miss some time but I wouldn't go into a season expecting him to miss large portions of the season. IMO there's no justification for that.

I for one like McGinn but only for the 4th line. Sure he can jump up but I wouldn't put him there to start the season. I also prefer Talbot be used as a 4th liner who can jump up if need be. I would be much more confident in someone like Laughton or Akeson on the 3rd line wing. I haven't really seen much of Raffl or Straka and I would prefer to see more of Flanagan before suggesting any of them take a spot on the 3rd line. I've seen plenty of Akeson over the past two yrs and Laughton in his short stint in the NHL as well as a decent chunk of Generals games (only this season though) so I feel confident one of these two could hold down the position and thrive.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 07-06-2013 at 02:45 PM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Why? He missed no time last season albeit in a a shortened season but his health problems before that were linked to the mass on the back of his neck which has since been removed. Obviously he's getting up there in age so he may miss some time but I wouldn't go into a season expecting him to miss large portions of the season. IMO there's no justification for that.
In an abrievated season Gagne was a healthy scratch 10 times. Even if you lowball it, that means you have a top 9 forward that his a healthy scratch between 10-20 games? Seems a little excessive for no injuries IMO.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote