HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs have spoken with Jagr

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Awards:
Anybody who looks at age or stats is out to lunch. The guy still battles and plays a puck possession game. Even at his age, he still manages to protect the puck along the boards and come out with it more often than not. If there was one problem last year, especially in the playoffs, was that the Habs played dump and chase but had nobody to take the puck and protect it to establish presence in the offensive zone. You have Plekanec, who is a very smart player, soft-dumping it into a corner and Jagr getting to it, you'll establish a high volume of pressure.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
07-06-2013, 04:02 PM
donghabs98

vCash: 284
Jagr for one year? Sign me up!

Old
07-06-2013, 04:03 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan 13 View Post
At first, when I saw the news, I said to myself: 'no, not this Jagr talk again, it can't be true, it's one or two years too late'. However, after thinking about it a bit longer, I may be interested in Jagr IF we are able to trade Gionta before signing him. He would certainly bring some size to the top 6.

This lineup looks pretty good:
Thing is, can we really trade Gionta with the injury? I can only see a team like NJ taking him OR if the due diligence is done on him returning to health soon. 1yr Jagr deal would be fine, but I don't have to need to sign him just cuz he's a legend. Would rather see Gally stay in the top 6. F'in love watching him play and fwiw I think he's currently better than Jagr. Obviously IF Gio is traded for a good pick (he isn't scraps contrary to popular belief - hell of a lot of, yup, character, funny to see him as chaff, but Jagr as a team guy), it makes more sense.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:04 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
well the fact that he left the NHL for money and came back for the same reasons, I thought he was kind of a selfish guy. The type of player who can destroy a locker room with their "i'm just here because they pay me good" attitude

but turns out he's not that type of guy

I don't get that feeling.

There's numerous reports that said Jagr is a very professional player. He's always the first to jump on the ice in practice and always the last to leave. He did a lot of extra time practicing during the playoffs. It shows his commitment, professionalism and willing to win. I wouldn't questioned his attitude.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Anybody who looks at age or stats is out to lunch. The guy still battles and plays a puck possession game. Even at his age, he still manages to protect the puck along the boards and come out with it more often than not. If there was one problem last year, especially in the playoffs, was that the Habs played dump and chase but had nobody to take the puck and protect it to establish presence in the offensive zone. You have Plekanec, who is a very smart player, soft-dumping it into a corner and Jagr getting to it, you'll establish a high volume of pressure.
Agreed with this. I wouldn't call Jagr a great need because even in his prime he wasn't a 2-way player and he's definitely quite slow now, but he's different than what we have - a big winger who is still very difficult to knock off the puck, who will win the majority of offensive-zone puck battles he gets involved in, and who still has better hands than 90% of this team to be constructive with the possession advantage he gives. I thought he played a significant role in the Bruin's cup final run beyond the scoreboard.

Like always I have my doubts the team has any interest in Jagr, but he has value far beyond the novelty of having Jagr on the Habs.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
We'd have to make a trade.

Pacioretty, Plekanec, Desharnais, Bourque, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, Eller, Gionta, Briere, Prust, Moen, Parros and White. 13 not including Jagr.

While I'd love to see him playing with Plekanec, I'd love to see him teach Galchenyuk and Eller the beast mode.
From what I heard Gionta is not starting the year. So that may take us a few weeks into the season where injuries happen all the time. also I don't see Parros playing every game.

It's doable but yeah I'd like to see one of DD or Gionta traded.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Andy

There are few players better down low than Jagr. The man protects the puck like its nobody's business. He's not a superstar anymore, but in a secondary or tertiary role he would be effective, especially for puck possession.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Dunno if its been mentioned in this thread, but Grant Mcagg says that he has a pretty solid source who stated that the habs wont be signing jagr.

Old
m00ks

Sign him now

Old
Moves Like Jagr

My username will finally be relevant to the team I cheer for! Let's get it done.

Pretty sure this was all part of MB's plan all along hence the non qualifying of weber. Allows Jagr to take his 68.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:11 PM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
But does he have character

Wrong question!

the right one is:

Can he fight?

Old
07-06-2013, 04:11 PM
Hansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Zero goals in 22 play off games. The tank is empty folks.
I know Jagr didn't score but he worked his butt off.He hit a few posts and crossbars in the playoffs.

I like the intangables.......and he has character

Old
07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I guess now we know the real reason for not qualifying Weber.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:15 PM
Africa.

That would actually be a very good pick-up..but the top 9 would be so crowded!

Old
07-06-2013, 04:17 PM
charlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Dunno if its been mentioned in this thread, but Grant Mcagg says that he has a pretty solid source who stated that the habs wont be signing jagr.
Thanks, I wont have to visit this thread anymore.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:21 PM
dreamingofdrouin*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Africa. View Post
That would actually be a very good pick-up..but the top 9 would be so crowded!
yes...if it were to remain the same.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Chili

I remember Ken Holland talking about bringing back Igor Larionov when he was 40ish. He said he knew he wouldn't contribute as much as in the past but he wanted his young players to see and learn from a real dedicated professional, how to prepare and handle yourself.

Forget about stats, 68 would bring so much more to the table. And like mentioned, he has expressed interest in Montreal. Who was the last hall of famer in the Habs dressing room, Gilmour?

I remember a game I was at in Ottawa, years ago. Sens led the Pens 3-0 after two periods. I was close enough to the Pens bench to hear Jagr tell his teammates, we're not losing this game at the start of the 3rd period. He beautifully set up 2 goals and then scored the tying goal in the last minute.

10 and 68, probably my two favorites all time.

Old
Gary320

If it's a one year deal at under 4 mill, sign him.
But, I think trades will have to be done to even out the lines.

Old
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Dynomite View Post
Now we're up to "three teams" interested in Jagr.

The annual Montreal Leverage Festival seems well underway.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...medium=twitter
It's in the habs best interest to play that game and raise salaries for everyone.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Gustave

I'm oh so very down with that. I'm aboard the Jagr bandwagon.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Zero goals in 22 play off games. The tank is empty folks.
Did you watch the games or you're one of those who looks only at the stats. Jagr was one of the best if not the best forward against Chicago. Re watch and see for yourself. That shot off the bar in the OT period, breakaway passes, controlling of the puck down low, Chara would have a hard time containing a player like Jagr

Old
07-06-2013, 04:27 PM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

No thanks.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

So, this is our yearly "Jagr is coming OMFG"

Confirmed with Link: Jagr DOESN'T sign here.

He'd be good for the first half of the season. Then he'd slow down.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:31 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I would do it for 1 year but it addresses a need and that would make sense, so we won't sign him.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Xegiie

some facts for ppl who doesn't follow Jagr as much as i do.

1] Jagr has played 101 games last year, most ppl say he was ok last year only because of it was half of a season.. but in fact he played more games than anyone in the league..

2] no Jagr is not looking for 2 years deal. He said he wants 1 year deal now at his age and go 1 by 1 year. He loves hockey, he wants to play he wants to be useful.

3] yes he did not score... he had some mad bad luck 3 posts 2 of them should be in for sure but it just didnt happen for some reason

4] what can you read about Jagr he made some nice passes to Bergy and Marchand, but if you watched closely Marchand never made pass to Jagr even he was comming alone from 2nd wave or just standing alone by goalie, B fans are not gonna admit that but i know what i saw.
In the end Jagr developrd chemistry with Bergeron, but Bergeron got injured and dissapeared just like Marchand, Seguin.

5] the mad chemistry between him and Plekanec is real, in Kladno Jagr was on pace to have most points in league in fact i think he was 2nd in the end even he was not there for whole season, on pace close to 1.7 ppg.

6] Look what Jagr did with Hartnell and Giroux. They had good chemistry and Jagr was on pace of 1ppg till half of season where he got renewed his old groin injury (in the flyers- rangers game) since then he rushed back to game, got injured again... never healed in that season. Tho last year it seemed ok till last game? we dont know what happend him there.

Yes he is slow, he can still make his mates free and make sick pass, he can get himself free and score, but that didnt work with Marchand..
he is still well worth of 3M for next year

Closed Thread