HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread: Eskies 1-3

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2013, 03:47 PM
Rawg
CEM

vCash: 500
Probably because our franchise, hall of fame, all star quarterback was traded for nothing, probably caused some issues with the team.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:16 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
You guys will be better off when Kavis Reed is canned. How Hervey kept him around, I cannot understand.

I'm a Rider fan, and even I was pissed off when Reed Okayed that play at the end of the first half. When is that ever a good decision?? Even if the pass is incomplete, you still risk injury in a time when the chance of success is extremely low percentage.

I mean, if you're at mid-field, sure, take a stab. But in your own red zone? No. Take a knee. Run the ball.

Passing the ball is the WORST option in that situation. And to compound that, relying on a first year startin QB to make that pass? Dumb.

I respect that Reed took ownership of his mistake, but sometimes, you have to wonder.
Thats part of the problem....Hervey had no choice in the matter. Rhodes went public and stated that Reed wasnt going anywhere before a GM was even hired. That just goes to show what a joke this org has become. A non football guy like Rhodes making football decisions and going public before he hires a GM who is supposed to make those decisions.

The Benny Hill music should be running for every appearance by Esks management.

Old
06-30-2013, 04:32 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
^that about says it all. thankfully i PVR'd this dog's breakfast of a game and was able to fast forward it into about an hour or so.
I actually took the trip for a couple of reasons one of them being it was an opportunity for my son to watch a game live. Its too bad he chose the same team his Dad cheers for...he could actually be cheering for a quality well run organization (the Stampeders) in his hometown instead of the clown show up north.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Reed got a free pass last season because of the Tillman side drama, but this season he's got to be under the microscope.
I would say that Reed got a free pass because Rhodes liked him as a person and decided the best course of action was to go public and state that Reed wasnt going anywhere. That moment of idiocy effectively neutered the incoming GM. A bush league move if there ever was one but it worked well for Reed.
After all he is a really nice guy...just ask Rhodes!

Quote:
The team is always unprepared to play, lacks half time adjustments and has no discipline to speak of. I don't care how well his motivational speaking is, if he doesn't get results, then he shouldn't be here. Even with last years **** show, he made some exceptionally questionable decisions. The Run-Pass ratio(especially when we had ****ing Jyles at QB), starting Joseph over Nichols in the playoffs(which was ridiculous) and the continuous stupid penalties taken.

The O-line is a major worrying point. I don't care if it's Reilly or Ray, if your constantly getting hit or having no time, your going to to struggle. I know there is a few new comers and they might need to gel, but man did they look poor in the game.
Reed has shown time and time again that he is not head coach material but when there is a non football man calling the shots you have a recipe for a losing organization.

As for the O-line (unless your Replacement trying to justify and support his opinion of Ray ) its very obvious that the O-line has been sub par for many years now. The play calling has been hampered by that because the O-line isn't good enough at run blocking to allow the OC to diversify the play book.
Consequently its a very easy offence to defend against.
This is on Hervey as well because he had an opportunity to improve the O-line and that should have been priority 1 with a rookie QB running the offence. Mark my words...with the heat that Reilly had to deal with yesterday its just a matter of time before he gets injured. Then the Esks mantra will be that its just 'bad luck'.

Old
07-01-2013, 05:22 AM
Kyle McMahon

Reed should have been fired by Labour Day last year, but much like the Oilers, former players have lifetime memberships. I highly doubt Reed goes anywhere this season. Hervey and Reed are Lowe and MacTavish. Sit back and enjoy, folks.

People crap all over Tillman, rightfully so in some cases, but at least he brought in a lot of good players in short order. Hervey hasn't brought in jack all by the looks of it. We had numerous defensive starters out on kickoff returns yesterday. Seriously Ed, you couldn't find a returner and you couldn't even find some blockers either? Holy crap.

Old
07-01-2013, 09:17 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post
That is what I cannot understand I am the Liquor.

Seriously, I've watched football for many years and I had the pleasure of watching us be so dominant it was almost embarrassing but how did we get where we are?

It's not like our coaching staff and management haven't played the game and yet Hervey did nothing to improve the team, Kavis is terrible and I see absolutely no end in sight to this.

I at least understand how the Oilers fell apart. Money, big egos and a bad reputation. With the Eskimos it's like we have gift wrapped talented players to other teams and received nothing in return.
Hugh Campbell got old, and he was replaced by people who were in no way shape or form, as connected, as talented, or as creative/bright as he was.

Its been all downhill from there. Seemingly getting worse with every change in coaching/management, which is baffling. It would seem the people making the decisions on who to hire to run the football team havent the first clue of what they are doing. Not sure how that gets fixed or if/when things will change.

Old
07-01-2013, 04:03 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Chris O'Leary ‏@olearychris
Don't be surprised if Hugo Lopez is the next #eskimos castaway to land with the #ticats. #bclions also a possibility

Old
07-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

The Riders released future Hall of Fame receiver Greg Carr.

Old
07-04-2013, 05:55 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
The Riders released future Hall of Fame receiver Greg Carr.
Carr would be a pretty good receiver if he could...you know...catch a football.

Old
07-04-2013, 08:36 PM
aleshemsky83

Wow end of the Shawn Horcoff era and we're now witnessing the possible end of the Anthony Calvillo era, TWO OF THE ALL TIME GREATS WOW.

Welp, suit up Quinton Porter, it's your time now.

Old
07-04-2013, 09:13 PM
aleshemsky83

Wow that wasn't quite a Mike Reilly level nuclear meltdown but it was still a pretty solid meltdown there by AC

Old
07-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Pretty lousy attendance at BC Place for the Lions' home opener.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Pretty lousy attendance at BC Place for the Lions' home opener.
Par for the course in BC. The new stadium novelty has worn off and the chunk of fans it brought out have disappeared back into the woodwork.

Old
07-05-2013, 10:31 AM
BleedingOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleshemsky83 View Post
Wow that wasn't quite a Mike Reilly level nuclear meltdown but it was still a pretty solid meltdown there by AC
By ACs offensive line you mean??

Old
07-06-2013, 01:03 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks
Breaking News: #Esks sign head coach Kavis Reed to contract extension. http://*******/13sgoyr #CFL

Must be the hot start we got off to

Old
07-06-2013, 01:07 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Jesus Christ... this team is a mess. Just a "protect your buddies" country club like the Oilers.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Edmonton Eskimos ‏@cfl_esks
Breaking News: #Esks sign head coach Kavis Reed to contract extension. http://*******/13sgoyr #CFL

Must be the hot start we got off to
lol

I still wanna know how the passing play on last play of first half got called. Not sure if its good whether Reed did or didn't have his hands in that.

As a paying fan I still feel we deserve an explanation for that play. I haven't seen any. I've heard tell Reed took responsibility, but I did not see any link or audio to those comments.

What a cluster.

I'm not sold on Hervey, sure I've said that a few times. How on Earth do you extend a coach of a team that has failed repeatedly and who's club yet again gave up on a game, and in the first game of the season just laid down.

This could get scary folks.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
lol

I still wanna know how the passing play on last play of first half got called. Not sure if its good whether Reed did or didn't have his hands in that.

As a paying fan I still feel we deserve an explanation for that play. I haven't seen any. I've heard tell Reed took responsibility, but I did not see any link or audio to those comments.

What a cluster.

I'm not sold on Hervey, sure I've said that a few times. How on Earth do you extend a coach of a team that has failed repeatedly and who's club yet again gave up on a game, and in the first game of the season just laid down.

This could get scary folks.
I'm just not sure I understand the hurry to extend him now. Why not wait until the end of the season and go from there? It's not like anyone is going to swoop in and steal him from us then.

And what has he really done to warrant an extension anyway?

Old
07-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I'm just not sure I understand the hurry to extend him now. Why not wait until the end of the season and go from there? It's not like anyone is going to swoop in and steal him from us then.

And what has he really done to warrant an extension anyway?
Pure conjecture on my part but could be a message to the players that he's not going anywhere, Hervey, and Reed are a team, and players better bow to it. But if such a message is required that can be a slippery slope.

I hope it isn't this, but what good comes from this? Stability or coaching reign is overrated when it involves as much chaos as Reed sets in motion.

WE need motion in the backfield, not confused motions from the sidelines..

Old
07-06-2013, 01:46 PM
Kyle McMahon

Pathetic, even by Eskimo standards. Said it above, Reed is MacT and Hervey is Kevin Lowe. They are well on their way to running this franchise right back to Maciocia levels.

Most would agree Reed deserved to be fired after last year's disaster of biblical proportions. But I guess we're getting treated to a couple more years at least. The timing of this couldn't be worse. A clear message from Hervey that his buddy will not be fired under any circumstances. Gonna be real awkward when we're sitting at 2-7 at Labour Day after already breaking our own record for procedure calls in one season.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Pure conjecture on my part but could be a message to the players that he's not going anywhere, Hervey, and Reed are a team, and players better bow to it. But if such a message is required that can be a slippery slope.

I hope it isn't this, but what good comes from this? Stability or coaching reign is overrated when it involves as much chaos as Reed sets in motion.

WE need motion in the backfield, not confused motions from the sidelines..
To me it just seems like Reed never really knows what's going on and that things are always a little out of control.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:20 PM
timekeep

Its not taking long for Hervey to make us miss the Tillman days. What a dumb move, Reed has done nothing to deserve an extension.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Chooch

Quote:
To me it just seems like Reed never really knows what's going on and that things are always a little out of control.
That's exactly how i see it. It's obvious that him and Ed are buddies, though. What else would warrant this guy a two year deal already?

Old
07-06-2013, 03:55 PM
abootzky

As an Eskimo fan who has remained solidly in Hervey/Reed's corner (even after last Saturday's embarrassment of a home opener), I think this extension is premature and unnecessary.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:20 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Pathetic, even by Eskimo standards. Said it above, Reed is MacT and Hervey is Kevin Lowe. They are well on their way to running this franchise right back to Maciocia levels.

Most would agree Reed deserved to be fired after last year's disaster of biblical proportions. But I guess we're getting treated to a couple more years at least. The timing of this couldn't be worse. A clear message from Hervey that his buddy will not be fired under any circumstances. Gonna be real awkward when we're sitting at 2-7 at Labour Day after already breaking our own record for procedure calls in one season.
2-7 on Labour Day might be an optimistic prediction. After watching the first 7 games of the season I don't see a team I think the Eskimos can beat. It's hard to get an accurate read on just how bad we are when the Riders pulled the chute five minutes into the third quarter.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:58 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Maybe the extension is in games and not years?

Closed Thread