HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 04:06 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
At his moment there is 7mil in cap left but a committed salary expenditure of almost 61 mil. This does not include Spaling, Jones, Forsberg which will be about 5.5 in cap and about 4 mil in actual salary. There are going to be some players moved the question is for what? If the target is a top 6 guy Leggy or Fish are gone Goose will be gone Smith as well. If a top 6 guy is the goal he will need to remove the same amount in actual salary and it would be a good bet that he will attempt to even out the actual salary with the cap.

Im astounded by to things. 1 the team is committed to over 60 mil in salary, 2 The quality of offense that is signed at the 60 mil mark is far below what I would expect.. This team will struggle in the division
Lets aim a little higher ? ... how about a first line forward ... a person in the top 90 in points under the age of 30

Old
07-06-2013, 04:26 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Legwand has a NTC and Fisher has a NMC that kicked in yesterday. It isn't as simple as getting rid of one of them.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:53 PM
alexmanu

Why is Brunner still available? Surely would be a solid top 6 guy on our team??...

Old
07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Roy signs with St Louis 1 year @ $4M

Would you rather have Cullen with 2 years @ $3.5M or Roy with 2 years @ $4M?

Old
07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

My biggest issues with yesterday's moves are Cullen instead of grabo, Roy, Brunner, or Ryder.

With jones still needing a contract, I think we are looking at like 2.87 or something left. There is no room to add a scorer and we don't have the pieces to get one view trade. Are we better? Yes. Are we going to be competitive. Debatable. Are we a competitor? Hells no.

Poile should attempt to move smith spals and Ellis for a forward. I doubt anyone takes that package though.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post

It's things like that that force me to question Poiles decision making.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:04 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Brunner played well for the first 25 or so games, and then fell off. He got all but eight of his points in that time span. He is still available most likely because he wants too much money to be so unproven and possibly inconsistent.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:05 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

We don't know what the player wanted. Poile's decision making does not include the ability to make decisions for the players signing the contracts. If Roy did not want to come here he wasn't going to come here at that price.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
We don't know what the player wanted. Poile's decision making does not include the ability to make decisions for the players signing the contracts. If Roy did not want to come here he wasn't going to come here at that price.
No but it highlights how we stupidly overpaid for Cullen nystrom and Hendricks.

Again, it's Poile's job to market Nashville. I am not surprised Roy went there. They are competitors. We are a fringe playoff team who finished in the bottom five last year.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

Roy absolutely. The upside with him is simply much much more than Cullen. There is also the potential Vanek connection. You probably could have still nabbed Cullen at 2.5-3 million with the left over change.

I just listened to NHL radio with Josh Cooper being interviewed, and I think his opinion sums it up:

We are still going to struggle to score goals. Our primary need heading into free agency was scoring goals. It is debatable that we did much more than get back to baseline. This was Cooper's opinion. Not mine. He went on to say that we got back to "the Predator way." When asked if this was a contender, he said, "not a contender, but maybe a challenger for the playoffs."

He is right. This is not a contender. Unless we acquire another top 6 forward, we are going to be struggling mightily to score goals. Their is potential for a surprise with the young forwards - Beck, Wilson, Forsberg. There is also potential for disaster. The one thing I will agree with - if this team makes it to the playoffs, it can win several series based upon an elite Rinne and stout defense. But I wouldn't hold out hope that this current roster could get past the first round, much less the second. I want to be wrong. But their are too many ifs, and their are still gaping holes and question marks in our top 6.

Also, per Cooper - Cullen was signed to be our FIRST LINE center. Let that sink in. Our first line center.

David Poile - "We addressed all our needs. We filled all of our holes"

Cullen. First. Line. Center.

I'm sorry, but as a fan of this team, this is not good evaluation. I know I am an arm-chair GM. I know that I am not a pro-scout and that David Poile has forgotten more hockey than I have ever known. But this .... it is crazy, or a misrepresentation of where this team stands.

Are we better. Yes. Are we much more coachable? Absolutely. Roles have been defined.... I will give that to David Poile. A roster without set roles has been revamped into a very clear/precise group of players with clear roles ....

Then again, who in the NHL outside of the Predators will ice a 4th line of mediocre grinders making 8 million dollars. No one.

We need a scorer. We have needed a scorer. We will continue to need a scorer until David Poile stops pretending that a "scoring by committee" approach means you give 8 million dollars to three fourth liners rather than a first liner and a decent but not great grinder.

07-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Yoshi View Post
Quote:
No but it highlights how we stupidly overpaid for Cullen nystrom and Hendricks.

Again, it's Poile's job to market Nashville. I am not surprised Roy went there. They are competitors. We are a fringe playoff team who finished in the bottom five last year.
Cullen had one less point in the same number of games last season, and is a superior defensive player. That several teams could use a center like Roy and he was still unable to get anything more than a one year deal is a pretty big red flag.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:23 PM
CantbeatzPekka
Weber/Jones/Josi

Quote:
roy is made of glass.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:35 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
I'd actually rather have Cullen than Roy. Roy has not won a Cup. Roy has been on the decline since coming back from injury. Cullen has proven more durable and despite his age would compete with Gelinas in terms of fitness.

Cullen was signed to be our No. 1 center. But in our system we have three second lines of offense and on any given night we will have a different line step up and be the leader. It's offense by committee. No doubt about it.

In terms of who upgraded more? We replaced Spaling at center with Legwand, Legwand with Fisher, and Fisher with Cullen. The Blues lost McDonald and gained Roy. In my mind we upgraded while the Blues are a wash at best on paper. Ultimately though, it's going to be settled on the ice - not the message boards.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:40 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake
Ultimately though, it's going to be settled on the ice - not the message boards.
Thank God for that.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Infinite Jest

vCash: 50
Honestly, I would take Cullen over Roy. Roy is soft, slightly injury prone, weak on faceoffs and poor defensively. The gap in offense does not overcome all of the things that Cullen has on Roy(Size, Speed, Defense, Faceoffs...) Roy looked absolutely terrible on the Canucks and hasn't looked great the past couple of years in Dallas.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Mercalius

I know the proposal of trying to trade for Vanek is hit or miss with a lot of people, but using (honest) speculation - what would be a fair, realistic package it might take to get him?

Tons of hypotheticals, but if he showed some interest in staying past the next season, I think he'd be worth targeting even if it cost a bit.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Roy struggled with the Canucks but played very well with Dallas. He is a better goal scorer and a better playmaker than Cullen. The injury concern is valid, and truth be told, Roy may not be the same player he was. Still, Derek Roy is 30 years old (not 36) and has been far better of an offensive threat than Cullen ever has been.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
I know the proposal of trying to trade for Vanek is hit or miss with a lot of people, but using (honest) speculation - what would be a fair, realistic package it might take to get him?

Tons of hypotheticals, but if he showed some interest in staying past the next season, I think he'd be worth targeting even if it cost a bit.
It's anybody's guess. A lot depends on whether Regier is still trying to extend him or not, as well. I would wager two young pieces (prospects or players) and a pick. The pick is probably a 1st unless one of the other pieces has incredible value. I could imagine something similar in quality to Watson/Ellis/1st would probably be close value-wise, even if Buffalo fans would hate it. I would be loathe to give up that much, especially our 1st, though, for a player that will be gone next summer.

Old
07-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
I still see a need at D unless we plan to rely on a lot of youth.

Weber is a given. Godly d-man

Josi is still only 23 but showed he can handle the top spot last season.

Klein is solid as a top 4

Bartley is 25 with limited experience and while I like how he played he should be a 3rd pairing guy.

Echholm is 23 and very unproven and while I have high hopes for him we can't rely on him.

Ellis is 22 and has limited experience and was sent back to the AHL last season because of his poor play.

Jones is 19 and while is seen as an elite talent it is a risk to rely on him to step right into a top 4 role.

The average age of these players is less than 24 years old. I can see the need for a depth D-man to do nothing more than push the young guys and ride the bench or play onr 2nd-3rd pairing depending on how the youngs guys play out this year.

Who would Poile look at if this was in the works?

Last edited by Persona5: 07-06-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old
07-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
After looking at who is out there it would be nice if they went after one of these guys to sure up our D for next season.

Ron Hainsey
Tomas Kaberle
Kuba, Filip
Whitney, Ryan
Colaiacovo, Carlo

Any one of these guys would ensure we had good depth and would add a needed veteran to our group. They are all left handed shots as that is where we lack the most depth. Poile said they added all these forwards to push our forwards to work harder for their spots. I say we need to do the same for the d-men by adding one of these guys.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
After looking at who is out there it would be nice if they went after one of these guys to sure up our D for next season.

Ron Hainsey
Tomas Kaberle
Kuba, Filip
Whitney, Ryan
Colaiacovo, Carlo

Any one of these guys would ensure we had good depth and would add a needed veteran to our group. They are all left handed shots as that is where we lack the most depth. Poile said they added all these forwards to push our forwards to work harder for their spots. I say we need to do the same for the d-men by adding one of these guys.
That list of dmen, jesus ... There is a reason that they are still not signed, I trust Poile & Trotz with D, forwards on the other hand, loves to shop at good will or thrift shop ... hope they prove me wrong

Old
07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
That list of dmen, jesus ... There is a reason that they are still not signed, I trust Poile & Trotz with D, forwards on the other hand, loves to shop at good will or thrift shop ... hope they prove me wrong

So Poile goes to the Macklemore school of forward evaluation?

Old
07-06-2013, 07:32 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I'd put myself out on the ice to pair with Klein before Kuba. The only advantage Kuba would have over me is him being a left handed shot.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a killer View Post
Enh. I think Hainsey would be worth a shot.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Enh. I think Hainsey would be worth a shot.
Agreed. Of all the available FA defensemen, he'd be my pick too.

Closed Thread