HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Old
07-06-2013, 01:04 PM
Enlighten

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
He got the guys he targeted outside of Clarkson. He had to overpay them or overterm them but we needed them. Maybe Gordon can teach everyone else how to win a faceoff. Thank god he stopped MacT at three years, apparently MacT was trying to get more.

I think Ference wanted to come here anyway but in such a shallow pool for D this year he was one of the more coveted guys. Eakins' knows the other guys so they must not be junk. Would be cool if Jonessuu can throw in the occasional goal on the 4th line.

I wonder how close we were to getting Clarkson. MacT seemed ridiculously upset about it. I think he thought it was a done deal but I wonder if Clarkson and his agent just played him because they knew that Toronto was under a lot of pressure to sign him.

But I think Nonis saved MacT from himself. Im sure it was the oilers that put 7 years on the table. Nonis looked like he thought he was an idiot for giving that contract to Clarkson. Ive never seen a guy look less happy about getting the biggest guy. He was asked about the term and said "let's focus on year one." Even he knows it was too much term.
I think MacT had a large money 3 year deal on the table more money less term but DC chose the long term deal instead.
After seeing MacT yesterday I wonder if maybe we almost had bobby Ryan aswell.

Enlighten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Draekke

vCash: 50
This is an organization that has made several mistakes, one of which is the inability to let go of management personnel who have strong ties to the organization, and not seeming to understand that it might make them look foolish and maybe a little unintelligent in the eyes of their peers....

But I can't stand reading the posts from the several posters here who talk of needing to overthrow a regime, or that we need to 'take off the blinders and actually see what's going on' and stop supporting the team that we love. It's quite ridiculous, really.

We've had to battle with the mediocrity of the mid-late 90's all the way through the late 2000's...and now we're struggling to get through a badly needed rebuild. Maybe they aren't doing it as efficiently as possible, but these almost conspiracy theory ideas that Katz doesn't want to ice a good team, so we need to stop going to games to show him that we won't accept it is really dumb. He's a business man, and knows that if he can have a team that makes it to the playoffs, it would pay dividends. If we 'made a stand' what would happen is the team would lose a ridiculous amount of money, and then there would be a legit reason to relocate.

This team is getting better. Probably slower than we'd realistically like. But it's getting better. Be a little patient, as things might turn around pretty quick here.

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post
I feel like what he is trying to say isn't that a negative reaction to a move is proving said people aren't fans. Its the constant (This team will never be good with KLowe in office) type posts. They are constant and show a belief that this team will never succeed no matter if the move is a positive or negative. So if you believe that why cheer? I am more curious too than argumentative.
If a question to me my positivity tends to grow with more time and more information. I do look at what people are stating.

For instance as a result of discussion I have better, much more indepth views of say Joensuu, Ference, Gordon, Belov. I do like to get conversations running so that this inofrmation is incoming in response. Not just to me but any readers.

So theres a point to the give and take discussion. As long as we're listening.

My own positivity and excitement takes place more when the games are actually taking place. The offseasons can get silly where its harder for us all to maintain positivity about the club which has been losing for too long. But once we see some good plays, good games, good days, the comments are focused on more on potential and what signs there are of that. Its harder for me to see those signs in lieu of games played here. So its only speculation in offseason which I think we all realize.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:39 PM
BlowbyBlow

Quote:
I feel like what he is trying to say isn't that a negative reaction to a move is proving said people aren't fans. Its the constant (This team will never be good with KLowe in office) type posts. They are constant and show a belief that this team will never succeed no matter if the move is a positive or negative. So if you believe that why cheer? I am more curious too than argumentative.
I think this team will win in spite of management. I usually keep to myself about transactions and trades the team makes cause I personally feel its more about the culture and the identifying of key personnel. The biggest factor that has limited this teams improvement is that back a few years ago this team could at least marginally develop a player, now there development system sucks.

As someone said outside of the first round (only talking oiler draft picks) Petry has probably been the only Oiler you can say they really developed in the last few years.

BlowbyBlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Verdadero
Rookie User

Quote:
But agree completely. I understand frustration and anger I have been experiencing both for years now. But I am not going to go around bashing my team constantly and being upset about everything they do. If you have 0 faith in your team whatsoever why cheer for them? the results on the ice don't lie they are poorly run but if you entire existance as a fan is to continually be upset at your team why support them?
I give praise for good moves when I see them. The Labarberra signing was fine in terms of need, player, term and price. Most fans hated the signing but I like it for the reasons stated. I was actually a Lowe supporter when he had a limited budget and he did a good job pre-2006 and during the Cup run. But since then it's been a non-stop debacle that degraded the history of the franchise. Been a fan of this team longer than many on this site have been alive so I don't have to apologize for nuth'in

Verdadero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:01 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Cap space is useless if you can't use it. MacT needs to make some trades for that 2.5 to matter.

Those trades are coming, the ones where a team like Philly is needing to simply send salary away and you can get a good player for nothing or next to nothing. One has to be patient to benefit from them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
This.

Tambo never landed a guy like Ference, but one guy doesn't transform you into a playoff team when you have many holes.

MacT has a lot of work to do still and it only gets harder as days go by.

I'm thinking back to the off-season Phx turned it around. They waited patiently on FA day and then as the summer went on they picked up good players at good numbers. They played money-ball.

I'm hoping for something similar in the next couple of months. As said by others, the Oilers have the players they need in most of the skills positions. What they need are the grit and glue veterans to hold the whole ball of wax together. Not only can those players be found in the time left, it is required to wait to get them to get them at good money in most cases.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:11 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Barely.

Really as it stands I don't know we're a better lineup than we had in January.

Like Lowe occasionally used to do MacT buys into stocking shelves but with quantity as much as quality. We don't necessarily need a lot of additions we need effective ones. The thinking that help is on the way through a plurality doesn't get
it done. Theres only so many slots in the lineup and a lot of spots obviously filled.

My own take is I'd rather make a splash with two ringer vets then half a dozen add-ons that don't make an appreciable difference. Ference is useful. Gordon, possibly, I don't know how well he'll play now outside of Phoenix.

Trouble is if we do now find some quality vets we end up having to make some room and deal some of the addon help we just acquired.
I don't think so.

Get rid of Hemsky for a top 6 winger with some beef to his game.

Pretty simple.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype
Teams I think have had the best off-season (incl. draft, trades & free agency) so far: 1. Stars 2. Wings 3. Blue Jackets 4. Preds 5. Oilers
That list is dead-on imo

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdadero View Post
I give praise for good moves when I see them. The Labarberra signing was fine in terms of need, player, term and price. Most fans hated the signing but I like it for the reasons stated. I was actually a Lowe supporter when he had a limited budget and he did a good job pre-2006 and during the Cup run. But since then it's been a non-stop debacle that degraded the history of the franchise. Been a fan of this team longer than many on this site have been alive so I don't have to apologize for nuth'in
I don't recall calling you out specifically. I was asking if you (general you not anyone specific) basically hate everything about the team why are you still cheering for them? I am very much in the show me crowd but I don't feel the need to come on and spew hate at management every time they make (or don't make) a move. It seems like every thread on hf inevitably becomes old boys argument or low sucks. Instead of debating specific merits of a move or people here love to hate klowe and his team.

Aequitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Ryan Smyth

I think MacT got saved by a few non-moves though. Apparently wanted to give Gordon more than 3 years but Gordon stopped him at 3. He also actually offered David Clarkson MORE than what TO offered. Had the offseason gone exactly as how MacT envisioned, I think we'd look FAR FAR worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loungelizard View Post
Submissions such as this... horrible, please stay away from trying to be an "armchair gm". Just terrible!

And for all of you that keep calling on getting Penner back here, please stop. I have an update for all of you... The Oilers hired Dallas Eakins as there head coach!
Dallas Eakins = you have to skate your ass off all the time!
Someone should alt check and see if it's VNP or someone.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
We've had to battle with the mediocrity of the mid-late 90's all the way through the late 2000's...and now we're struggling to get through a badly needed rebuild. Maybe they aren't doing it as efficiently as possible, but these almost conspiracy theory ideas that Katz doesn't want to ice a good team, so we need to stop going to games to show him that we won't accept it is really dumb. He's a business man, and knows that if he can have a team that makes it to the playoffs, it would pay dividends.
Where is anyone saying that? I've seen people comparing him to Ballard and I agree THAT is dumb. People forget the dysfunction of the EIG and will appreciate Katz more after the new arena is finally finished and the team is stable for decades.

But it is OK to be critical of a team that has consecutive sellouts and is nowhere near the cap. I get that we are essentially rebuilding the salary structure and leadership of the team, but it could have been infinitely more efficient. Tamby and Lowe stripped us down to nothing and the team claims they lose money despite selling out every home game.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:23 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by loungelizard View Post
And for all of you that keep calling on getting Penner back here, please stop. I have an update for all of you... The Oilers hired Dallas Eakins as there head coach!
Dallas Eakins = you have to skate your ass off all the time!
Exactly... Maybe its been too long for you to remember, but a motivated Penner is one hell of a good hockey player

07-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by nye View Post
Those trades are coming, the ones where a team like Philly is needing to simply send salary away and you can get a good player for nothing or next to nothing. One has to be patient to benefit from them though.

I'm thinking back to the off-season Phx turned it around. They waited patiently on FA day and then as the summer went on they picked up good players at good numbers. They played money-ball.

I'm hoping for something similar in the next couple of months. As said by others, the Oilers have the players they need in most of the skills positions. What they need are the grit and glue veterans to hold the whole ball of wax together. Not only can those players be found in the time left, it is required to wait to get them to get them at good money in most cases.
Another 'believe it when i see it' posts. Will not get these 'glue' guys if everyone is untouchable. This is the big delussion going on with this management and fans. That good bottom 6 players grow on trees, so we can keep every prospect . Wrong.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:48 PM
KClovesGaming

He's done an awesome job. He's beefed up the defense, the bulin wall is now gone, same with Horcoff (though I liked him, worked hard, horrible contract though). The only question remains, can he get a bigger top 6 forward for Hemsky? The team is still small, but is slowly getting there with MacT at the helm.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:49 PM
KClovesGaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I think MacT got saved by a few non-moves though. Apparently wanted to give Gordon more than 3 years but Gordon stopped him at 3. He also actually offered David Clarkson MORE than what TO offered. Had the offseason gone exactly as how MacT envisioned, I think we'd look FAR FAR worse.

Someone should alt check and see if it's VNP or someone.
Sources would be nice.

KClovesGaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:51 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Sources would be nice.
Dreger has stated that Clarkson "left millions on the table" on TSN radio 1050 and Dreger and LeBrun send out tweets confirming that.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:33 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
Another 'believe it when i see it' posts. Will not get these 'glue' guys if everyone is untouchable. This is the big delussion going on with this management and fans. That good bottom 6 players grow on trees, so we can keep every prospect . Wrong.

Well, another thing Phx did is send a bunch of prospects who were on the roster the previous year to the AHL and replaced them with those vets they collected on value contracts... or at least that's how I recall it going down.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:19 PM
GreatKeith

Getting better, MacT.

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Getting better, MacT.
Yep, today we got a helpful topsix vet in return for a depth player. Pretty good deal.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

IN

Perron, Ference, Gordon, Belov, Larsen, Klefbom

OUT

Paajarvi, Whitney, Horcoff, Peckham, Fistric, Teubert, Belanger

Still a few moves to be made as well.. maybe add one more UFA like Cleary and move Hemsky.

I really like what he has done so far though, other then the bottom 6 looks like hell at this point.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:32 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
IN

OUT

Still a few moves to be made as well.. maybe add one more UFA like Cleary and move Hemsky.

I really like what he has done so far though, other then the bottom 6 looks like hell at this point.
That "out" list reads like a bowel evacuation (Well, minus PRV).

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 07:36 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
IN

OUT

Klefbom wasn't a new addition (he definitely wasn't brought in by MacT). Overall, the team looks to be improved already. I just hope he does something to address the lack of a 3rd line though.

07-10-2013, 07:44 PM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
That "out" list reads like a bowel evacuation (Well, minus PRV).
Pretty much. MacT has done a good job of cleaning this team up imo. Once he adds pieces from Hemsky and maybe adds another FA I will be really really happy with this offseason.

Happy Hallidays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:21 PM
yukoner88

One thing I'd like to point out aswell is, that with these moves, especially this one, Mact is changing the attitude of the lockerroom. We're seeing players being shipped out from a losing environment/negative environment. Horcoff, PRV (and most likely Hemsky) out, Perron is come in from a team with some recent success in the regular season, Ference, coming in with a fresh cup ring on his finger. In theory this should improve the mentality inside the lockerroom and help make the team hungrier every night.

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:42 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
pretty decent job, fosho. ideally, Paajarvi would have been moved/packaged for C or 2D.

but today is definitely an improvement from last year's lineup. not what i wanted, by i won't complain.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote