HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Financial Situation

Old
07-06-2013, 09:35 AM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
I can see Matthias taking his game to a new level in the next two years then leave us via UFA

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:54 AM
ShootIt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
I can see Matthias taking his game to a new level in the next two years then leave us via UFA
If Barkov, Bjugstad and Shore progress like they should. No big deal.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:29 AM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

I'll bring this up again. Honestly, who did you guys want to sign yesterday at what they signed for? Clowe?

We're going to sign some guys in the coming weeks and they're not going to be grossly overpaid contracts.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:37 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I'll bring this up again. Honestly, who did you guys want to sign yesterday at what they signed for? Clowe?

We're going to sign some guys in the coming weeks and they're not going to be grossly overpaid contracts.
Lets clarify something.

I don't think what has most people upset has nothing to do with the Panthers not signing anyone to a big contract yesterday.

People are upset about the idea of "going with the kids" which is sports-talk for "going cheap".

If Tallon signs some decent veterans to fill the glaring holes on the roster, I think you'll see most reasonable people settle down.

This is what I want for the season - what I would consider acceptable:

1. An NHL team with a chance to win any given night
2. An NHL team that will be entertaining and competitive, even in defeat
3. San Antonio in the playoffs.

As a paying customer what I am asking for is not unreasonable... and we aren't there yet on any of the three.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:56 AM
jol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
That is my hope for the franchise. A new Owner who will keep the team here but actually have the money to operate a team properly. It is galling that South Florida's NHL franchise has the third lowest payroll while Tampa Bay has the fifth highest.
Remember if there's an ownership change, NHL's rule, new owner has to keep team in place next seven years. In Atlanta, after seven years team was out of town but on the other hand in Phoenix NHL is making exception. New owner (not yet closed deal) can move team out of Phoenix if losses exceed certain amount after five years.

JOL

jol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:59 AM
gizmo12688
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
Lets clarify something.

I don't think what has most people upset has nothing to do with the Panthers not signing anyone to a big contract yesterday.

People are upset about the idea of "going with the kids" which is sports-talk for "going cheap".

If Tallon signs some decent veterans to fill the glaring holes on the roster, I think you'll see most reasonable people settle down.

This is what I want for the season - what I would consider acceptable:

1. An NHL team with a chance to win any given night
2. An NHL team that will be entertaining and competitive, even in defeat
3. San Antonio in the playoffs.

As a paying customer what I am asking for is not unreasonable... and we aren't there yet on any of the three.
The season doesn't start tomorrow. Tallon has said that he will sign some players to complement the team, he's just not going to overpay. There's still a good amount of decent players we can sign for 2-3 years, which is perfect. The only hole we probably won't fill is the #1C role, which there really wasn't one out there to begin with to be honest (except for Vinny, even though 5 years is too much).

I just have a problem with the overreactions from some people saying that this will be the worst Panthers team of all time because we couldn't keep Stephen freaking Weiss.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:04 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SufferingCatFan View Post
Spending $55 million last season was against a cap of $70 million. Now, we are spending about $50 million against a cap of $64 million. The forest is that we are and have been spending closer to the minimum required as opposed to the maximum permitted.

Our ownership made promises to us last season to induce us to continue to buy season tickets, such as committing to "trying" to resign Weiss and being active in free agency and on the trade front to improve the team. The pitch was that we intended to ice a competitive team while patiently developing our youth.

There is still time to invest wisely in the free agent market. I would be happy with Roy on a short-term contract to play 1C, Thomas as the vet goalie addition to school Markstrom, and Mueller. Is that really too much to ask?

I do not know if you are a sth, but, if you are then I do not know how you are not feeling our pain.Once upon a time, the business I worked for and the business my friend worked for leased suites at the BAC, which got cancelled when hardly anyone used them. Then, we each personally bought a bunch of lower bowl seats. Now, we share 4 seats and still had trouble last season giving tickets away.

To add insult to injury, we discovered that we could buy the same or better seats on Stubhub for most games at a fraction of the amount we were paying the Panthers. I could go on....
Beautiful.

I tried SCF, but Cool (who states he is a sth) just doesn't see it like so many of us longtime sths do.

The panthers are a product selling tickets to entertain. I balk at opinions of those talking about 3-4yrs from now on a franchise that has earned no goodwill at all. Tampa has a cup and makes the playoffs half the time ...they've earned good will. The panthers haven't.

Buy me a 2C, a legitimate partner for Markstrom and lets cut the hypocrisy of how the blueprint one year means not rushing the youth yet fielding a competitive team while the next yr its a youth movement. You sold us a blueprint; don't renege now.

Otherwise good luck Feb with the renewal pitch; PT Barnum might even have a hard time finding another sucker.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:14 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
The season doesn't start tomorrow. Tallon has said that he will sign some players to complement the team, he's just not going to overpay. There's still a good amount of decent players we can sign for 2-3 years, which is perfect. The only hole we probably won't fill is the #1C role, which there really wasn't one out there to begin with to be honest (except for Vinny, even though 5 years is too much).

I just have a problem with the overreactions from some people saying that this will be the worst Panthers team of all time because we couldn't keep Stephen freaking Weiss.
I'm okay with not overpaying.

I'm not okay with not paying.

As I said, as long as Tallon is allowed to spend the money necessary to plug holes, we will be fine.

Having him publicly declare "we're going with the kids" is what set me off. As a public statement it is:

a. Not in keeping with the blueprint as an actual plan for creating a winning franchise
b. Is in keeping with the blueprint as a business plan to justify cost cutting to the customers

I don't like "going with the kids" as the battle cry for 2013-14. The kids need some support.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:15 AM
angry_treefrog
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Beautiful.

I tried SCF, but Cool (who states he is a sth) just doesn't see it like so many of us longtime sths do.

The panthers are a product selling tickets to entertain. I balk at opinions of those talking about 3-4yrs from now on a franchise that has earned no goodwill at all. Tampa has a cup and makes the playoffs half the time ...they've earned good will. The panthers haven't.

Buy me a 2C, a legitimate partner for Markstrom and lets cut the hypocrisy of how the blueprint one year means not rushing the youth yet fielding a competitive team while the next yr its a youth movement. You sold us a blueprint; don't renege now.

Otherwise good luck Feb with the renewal pitch; PT Barnum might even have a hard time finding another sucker.
Thank you for putting it so succinctly.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:31 AM
PanthersHockey1
South by Southeast

Wining the division was a blessing and a curse. It gave us fans a premature taste of success that management was not expecting. I'm tired of one step forward and two steps back. I don't care about David clarkson I care about trading for a guy like Tyler seguin or a guy like bobby Ryan. Where is our Lebron James? The one offseason we actually went out and spent money we won a division. I don't care if we overpay or underpay when u have a guy named Shawn mathias centering a top line in arguably the toughest division in the entire league, any finish higher than 28th would be a complete shock.

For the optimists promising 2 years and then spending on high end talent frenzy I would not hold my breath.

PanthersHockey1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:05 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry_treefrog View Post
I'm okay with not overpaying.

I'm not okay with not paying.

As I said, as long as Tallon is allowed to spend the money necessary to plug holes, we will be fine.

Having him publicly declare "we're going with the kids" is what set me off. As a public statement it is:

a. Not in keeping with the blueprint as an actual plan for creating a winning franchise
b. Is in keeping with the blueprint as a business plan to justify cost cutting to the customers

I don't like "going with the kids" as the battle cry for 2013-14. The kids need some support.
I'm ok with not signing free agents this year, next year or ever really. Acquiring free agents is a fools game, they're either too expensive or too old and usually both. What I'm worried about is not using the kids to make trades for veteran talent who are in their prime and who happen to make a lot of money. Two of those were dealt in the last few days, Seguin and Ryan. Having a deep prospect pool isn't just for developing your own talent, it's also for having assets to deal for veteran, established players. Another thing about having too many young players at the same time. We're going to have a lot of these who are now on their entry level contracts become eligible for arbitration and restricted free agency at the same time at which point they become expensive if they are any good. Even a Cap team would have a hard time holding on to that many of them let alone one near the floor. The question of the Panthers financial health impacts not only acquiring talent but retaining it. It sure looks like the Panthers are following the Marlins economic model, the only difference being the Marlins do it to make money, the Panthers may be doing it to survive or at least survive with this Owner.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:48 PM
hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
Wining the division was a blessing and a curse. It gave us fans a premature taste of success that management was not expecting. I'm tired of one step forward and two steps back. I don't care about David clarkson I care about trading for a guy like Tyler seguin or a guy like bobby Ryan. Where is our Lebron James? The one offseason we actually went out and spent money we won a division. I don't care if we overpay or underpay when u have a guy named Shawn mathias centering a top line in arguably the toughest division in the entire league, any finish higher than 28th would be a complete shock.

For the optimists promising 2 years and then spending on high end talent frenzy I would not hold my breath.
The Belleville Bulls of the Ontario Hockey League after two years traded John Hughes the leagues number one draft pick to make Shawn Matthias the team's number one center. Within two years they went to the Memorial Cup. Don't be fooled by a big center taking time to learn the position at the NHL level. You are in good hands with Matthias.

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Pantherfan12

Quote:

I honestly don't remember reading anywhere on these boards anyone making a statement that we have the worst team in history. I know I've read plenty on these boards that we fans will not be played a fool and pretend Tallon and co. are not being hypocrites.
First, on Weiss. 5mil for 5 years is a good contract. I understand people thinking 5 years is too long, but I'm sure it'll take Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, and Trochek probably a few seasons to develop into their potential. If that we're to happen, Weiss will move down the lines but still give the team the leadership and an option in case Barkov has a few off games or injuries. Having options isn't a bad thing.
Back to the hypocrites.. While there is time for Tallon to make moves and fill the voids we have, I know I'm personally tired of Tallon telling me he's going to be patient with our youth and let them develop properly. Then he turns around the following year and ice our youth and expect them to compete on a nightly basis with the rest of the league. Telling fans that Matthias will be #1 is a slap in the face. That's why they have to give away season tickets, because the real fans are tired of the lies and losing.

Pantherfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
hockey dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I honestly don't remember reading anywhere on these boards anyone making a statement that we have the worst team in history. I know I've read plenty on these boards that we fans will not be played a fool and pretend Tallon and co. are not being hypocrites.
First, on Weiss. 5mil for 5 years is a good contract. I understand people thinking 5 years is too long, but I'm sure it'll take Barkov, Bjugstad, Shore, and Trochek probably a few seasons to develop into their potential. If that we're to happen, Weiss will move down the lines but still give the team the leadership and an option in case Barkov has a few off games or injuries. Having options isn't a bad thing.
Back to the hypocrites.. While there is time for Tallon to make moves and fill the voids we have, I know I'm personally tired of Tallon telling me he's going to be patient with our youth and let them develop properly. Then he turns around the following year and ice our youth and expect them to compete on a nightly basis with the rest of the league. Telling fans that Matthias will be #1 is a slap in the face. That's why they have to give away season tickets, because the real fans are tired of the lies and losing.

Real fans are tired of the lies and the losing. Spoken from the heart. But hockey is a business and the business of hockey is winning. You build a team through the draft. When your drafted core begin to produce you bring in talent to improve. Weiss had a 11 years and one playoff appearance; what was 5 more years going to bring us? Sure be a fan but be a business man and a hockey man first. I think the 5 year plan is still alive and well. The game (players) are getting younger yet the foolish GM's are still paying too much for the old guys on the downward slope. A couple of minor tweaks and this year may come as a surprise. Yours truly-Ever the optimist!!

hockey dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:15 PM
Bystander

People keep talking about overpaying... It's not overpaying if that what the market is. if you want to sign anyone of quality, this is the going rate, if you do not wish to pay said rate, you will not sign quality players. Simple!

I laugh when I hear Talon will wait to sign someone "good" once the market cools down... please, the only ones left at that point aren't good, that's why they are available and affordable. This team is just repeating its past...

Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bystander View Post
People keep talking about overpaying... It's not overpaying if that what the market is. if you want to sign anyone of quality, this is the going rate, if you do not wish to pay said rate, you will not sign quality players. Simple!

I laugh when I hear Talon will wait to sign someone "good" once the market cools down... please, the only ones left at that point aren't good, that's why they are available and affordable. This team is just repeating its past...
Well, then let other teams get stuck in cap hell with these "quality" players. In 2 years we'll have young studs like Huby, Barkov, and Bjugstad producing for us at a fraction of the cost of these overpaid players with room left over to fill any real holes we might have.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:50 PM
Ekblast
See you in October

Send a message via AIM to Ekblast
On a bright note, we are getting a new scoreboard finally!

Ekblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Mogo
#GameOver

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyWeissIsGone View Post
On a bright note, we are getting a new scoreboard finally!

And not a UFA signed over 1M$ for 10 years because of that

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Well, then let other teams get stuck in cap hell with these "quality" players. In 2 years we'll have young studs like Huby, Barkov, and Bjugstad producing for us at a fraction of the cost of these overpaid players with room left over to fill any real holes we might have.
Wow, how many times do we hear that??? Always waiting for another couple of years till the "young studs" become real studs, then we'll just add a couple of pieces.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:20 PM
ShootIt

Well What else is there to say? Or is this the time of the year where we need to revisit the past(failures)

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
Wow, how many times do we hear that??? Always waiting for another couple of years till the "young studs" become real studs, then we'll just add a couple of pieces.
Well, if our young studs don't become the real deal, then we are screwed anyway.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Well, if our young studs don't become the real deal, then we are screwed anyway.
exactly, point being a team with some financial wherewithal would protect those kids and make sure they were groomed properly... No way you can say that about any of these kids, they are all being thrown to the wolves.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

Quote:
exactly, point being a team with some financial wherewithal would protect those kids and make sure they were groomed properly... No way you can say that about any of these kids, they are all being thrown to the wolves.
Yes, but clogging your roster with bloated contracts isn't exactly doing a great service to your team either. It takes roster spots away from kids coming up over the years and makes those contracts immovable. And we already have several of those types of contracts. The problem with the Panthers right now is that they have to grossly overpay for "quality" players to come here. And they are never going to become a really good team by stocking up on bloated contracts for mediocre players. The best hope is that these kids can take the reigns in short order like the kids in Chicago did(hopefully something can go our way for once)and then we will become a destination where truly good players would want to come to play and take a discount to do so, allowing a budget team to truly field a competitive team without spending to the cap.

Old
07-06-2013, 05:57 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Didn't like this at all:

Quote:
Tallon was asked if budgetary limitations held him back from doing anything major Friday, or even re-signing center Stephen Weiss or forward Peter Mueller.

Tallon paused for a few seconds before replying, “We have a budget, and we have a budget we have to stick with. That’s what the mandate is. It’s all in the budget. So, that’s what we’re doing.”

Whenever a team near the salary-cap floor starts talking about budget, there’s a problem. And Tallon sounded about as happy as if he had been told he would need to move to Winnipeg.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/0...#storylink=cpy
I don't have an issue with not wanting to overspend but you need to be able to ice a competitive team if you want to continue to keep and grow your fanbase. If Tallon has his hands tied how does that give us a competitive team if we can't even sign our own FA?

Quote:
“We don’t play a game until October,” Tallon said. “We’ve got time to keep fixing and adding.”
The last phrase in that article gives me some comfort but not much. Because IMO we need at least 2 of the 3 below to probably field a competitive team this season but probably all three.

1-sign a top 6 centerman(hopefully Grabovski but I'm not holding my breath)
2-sign or resign a top 6 winger(Meuller?)
3-sign a backup veteran goalie and get rid of Clemm

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Dread Clawz
LAWSonic Boom

We also need to sign another d-man. Our bottom pairing is potential crap right now.