HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Bob Froese 85-86

Old
07-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Bob Froese 85-86

How did he not win the Vezina that year. Really his numbers were so much better than any candidate out there. It is a real shame he never won.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:01 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Considered by many to be at least somewhat of a product of his team. Notice that the 1984-85 winner (Pelle Lindbergh) and the 1986-87 winner (Ron Hextall) were both Flyers.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:06 PM
tombombadil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Considered by many to be at least somewhat of a product of his team. Notice that the 1984-85 winner (Pelle Lindbergh) and the 1986-87 winner (Ron Hextall) were both Flyers.
wow, that really says something about the Flyers, or their division/conference. Pretty wild to do that with three straight goalies, none of which truly became anything amazing.

Side note - I had no idea that Beezer (who's numbers were way back of Froese's, btw) had so many assists! I looked him up, of course, because of this thread. 38 career points, close to Brodeur, and in far less games. I didn't know him as a puck handler.

tombombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:23 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by tombombadil View Post
wow, that really says something about the Flyers, or their division/conference. Pretty wild to do that with three straight goalies, none of which truly became anything amazing.
It wasn't the division. In 85-86 the Patrick Division featured not one, but two teams with 50 wins (Flyers, Capitals); an NYI team, which was no longer Cup caliber but still a playoff squad just a year removed from its last SCF appearance; and a competitive NYR squad. Pens were poor but featured a young Mario. Devils brought up the bottom and were drek (this was pre-Lou).

Flyers of the mid-80s were a very good - and very good defensive - team, reaching the SCF twice in three years.

As for the goaltenders, true, Froese certainly had a respectable career and Hextall fizzled after a great opening act; neither were "amazing". But Lindberg certainly had the potential for an elite career.

Last edited by Trottier: 07-07-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Doctor No
Retired

We were talking about this just the other day (starting here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...php?p=68100283 ) and my conclusion was similar to TDMM's - there was a team effect going on that hurt Froese in the voting (alternatively, there was a team effect going on that helped Froese in the stats).

Not going to post my link, since that's just what everyone expects at this point.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Sure he was a product of that D, but you know I think he still should have won, and The defense of that era should have gotten the recognition it deserves.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
DawsonCityNuggets

I remember, those were great years to be a Flyers fan. We had everything but the cup. Man, I hated those Oilers! Bob was a great goalie and deserves credit for it. He stepped in and was amazing after Lindbergh died.

DawsonCityNuggets is offline   Reply With Quote