HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy agrees to 1 year deal

Old
07-06-2013, 05:24 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
The only thing decent about this is it's one year. Roy sucks. This is not the team that is going to compete for a Cup.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:25 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post
Fair enough. I don't view this as the beginning of a consistent trend. I'd be shocked if the Blues weren't able to ice a similar team as to whatever this one will be in 2014-2015. They shouldn't (and won't) be in cap hell.

I'm starting to be convinced that Perron would be moved before Halak. Allen needs more time to prove himself, and Elliott can be a bit streaky. Both Elliott and Halak are FAs after this season, so something tells me one will perform better than the other.

With Jaskin and Rattie in the wings, it seems like a winger has to be moved. Either him or Stewart, IMO.
The cap will go up and the only players who will be due for raises for a while are Schwartz and Tarasenko. I think we'll be hovering around this area for a while, considering Schwartz will likely be making the money we save on Bouwmeester next year. We will likely need to play more than 10 post season games this year to make break even though.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:26 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The only thing decent about this is it's one year. Roy sucks. This is not the team that is going to compete for a Cup.
Bouwmeester sucks too, but he did pretty good with us IMO.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:26 PM
thedustman

vCash: 169
I take from this signing that the blues are attempting to push Berglund into the number 1 center role to motivate/force scoring and consistency from him, which I wouldn't mind. Backes moves to wing? Sobotka to wing also, where he is better. I also get the feeling teams are asking about some of our bottom six players... which would explain the load of bottom sixers we have recently acquired

That is only if a big trade doesn't follow.

edit: in other words, I think the organization truly believes the most improvement is going to come from WITHIN the current roster

Last edited by thedustman: 07-06-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: addition
thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:28 PM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Bouwmeester sucks too, but he did pretty good with us IMO.
Jaybo turned it around with us, so I see no reason that Roy can't either for the same reason: much better team around him.

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:29 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by illninofan View Post
Jaybo turned it around with us, so I see no reason that Roy can't either for the same reason: much better team around him.
Roy played for the Canucks last season. Also his physical limitations say it's very unlikely. Talk to Buffalo, Canucks, and Dallas fans he will never be the same player again.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustman View Post
I take from this signing that the blues are attempting to push Berglund into the number 1 center role to motivate/force scoring and consistency from him, which I wouldn't mind. Backes moves to wing? Sobotka to wing also, where he is better. I also get the feeling teams are asking about some of our bottom six players... which would explain the load of bottom sixers we have recently acquired

That is only if a big trade doesn't follow.

edit: in other words, I think the organization truly believes the most improvement is going to come from WITHIN the current roster
I think Berglund is moving the opposite direction > 3C or maybe even to the wing.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 1111
On my phone, so this will be extra short, this seems like stop gap move. They appear to be looking to get a center sometime in the next year. Either a trade will be coming or they're looking to next year at a possible FA.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Roy played for the Canucks last season. Also his physical limitations say it's very unlikely. Talk to Buffalo, Canucks, and Dallas fans he will never be the same player again.
So maybe he fails his physical then?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
jarmoismyhero

Why in the hell would Army make this move...Just terrible in so many different ways.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:35 PM
thedustman

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
So maybe he fails his physical then?
hahah the way they put it "pending physical" sounds like management expect that failing the physical is entirely a possibility

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:38 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
As much as a dislike this move he still should be able to score in the 40 point range for use so yes he is an upgrade unless this move leads to use moving Perron or Stewart. He also could still possible hit in the 50s but I wouldn't really expect it.

HooliganX2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:40 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
As much as a dislike this move he still should be able to score in the 40 point range for use so yes he is an upgrade unless this move leads to use moving Perron or Stewart. He also could still possible hit in the 50s but I wouldn't really expect it.
Unless they buyout Halak I see no other way around losing one to keep AP

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

He was on pace for 60 with Dallas.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
Unless they buyout Halak I see no other way around losing one to keep AP
Buyout period is over, not that it would ever have been considered anyway.

There is will be a trade coming, sooner rather than later.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:49 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
1 year? Awesome. All he has to do is be better than McDonald was last year for this to be a win.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
1 year? Awesome. All he has to do is be better than McDonald was last year for this to be a win.
Well, if being better than McDonald was last year is the benchmark for a win, then we're really setting the bar low.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Blanick
Winter is coming

A little out of left field but ok....

I think he could work out here but the one year signing has me thinking they will look to target someone else next summer.... Stastny?

Blanick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:56 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
Well, if being better than McDonald was last year is the benchmark for a win, then we're really setting the bar low.
I'm just saying that this clearly makes them a better team. Is it the best fit? I highly doubt it...But an improvement is an improvement, and we can hope this addition will have a domino effect. That's the idea of having depth, anyway.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:04 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm just saying that this clearly makes them a better team. Is it the best fit? I highly doubt it...But an improvement is an improvement, and we can hope this addition will have a domino effect. That's the idea of having depth, anyway.
Eggzakly. if Roy can remain healthy and contributes offensively, he takes some strain off Backes(as far as scoring from the center position is concerned) and pushes Berglund down to a 3rd line center, a position much more fitting of his skill and production. but yea, let's hope he passes the physical first.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:05 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Eggzakly. if Roy can remain healthy and contributes offensively, he takes some strain off Backes(as far as scoring from the center position is concerned) and pushes Berglund down to a 3rd line center, a position much more fitting of his skill and production. but yea, let's hope he passes the physical first.
The fact that he has to take a physical concerns me. It tells me that his injury concerns are not all behind him. I don't want another head case like McDonald, where we know he's going to get injured at some point during the season.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:21 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
The fact that he has to take a physical concerns me. It tells me that his injury concerns are not all behind him. I don't want another head case like McDonald, where we know he's going to get injured at some point during the season.
yea, the knee injury is definitely a concern. he wasn't fully recovered from it in the 11-12 season, and it was compounded by shoulder and hamstring injuries. so his production suffered tremendously. obviously last season was a bit of a crapshoot due to the lockout, so who knows how that affected his performance.

but his numbers in dallas inspire a bit of hope, pro-rated to a full season he was on pace for just under 60 points. hopefully he can maintain that level of productivity and remain healthy.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:43 PM
YokoOno

For those of you saying this is a good signing. The guy scored 7 goals last season, that puts him on pace for 14 goals... How does that warrant $4 Million?

YokoOno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:57 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Every player has to go through a physical…

Also, fans cannot tell how well a player is going to play in the future and on another team, so I dont really care what other fans say, especially when Roy played through injuries, and he is apparently past them.

Lastly, this guy puts up around 40 assists per season. We don't need another goal scorer. We needed a guy that can rack up assists, and we got him. Give Army and our scouts the benefit of the doubt sometimes. Not every team is perfect, and there is no such thing as a real "solution." There are only tradeoffs, and the key is to find the best trade off possible, and that's all you can hope for.

I wonder who we are going to get rid of now that we are tight on our budget…hoping its Perron and one of our goaltenders. We have too many forwards and too many goaltenders.

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
OCTA8ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokoOno View Post
For those of you saying this is a good signing. The guy scored 7 goals last season, that puts him on pace for 14 goals... How does that warrant $4 Million?
Because he was on pace for 42 assists in 82 games

OCTA8ON is offline   Reply With Quote