HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Richards' future on the NYR

View Poll Results: Keep or Buyout?
Retain his services 16 12.21%
Exercise the buyout 115 87.79%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KreidertheGlider View Post
Debatable. I would rather have Lindberg as a 3C than Richards. His game translates to bottom 6 much more than BR.
Considering he plays in Europe, and hasnt sniffed the NHL in any capacity, I'd really love to know how you know this.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:00 PM
Green Blob*

Lindberg needs to play in the AHL first. There is no reason to rush him now that we just signed Moore.

He might only need a few months but he should definitely start there unless he makes it impossible for the coaches to cut him in camp.

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Bannor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
Kovalchuk, Hossa, and Zetterberg are much better players and haven't showed signs of slowing down yet. Erhoff is carrying a $4M cap hit.

Richards was overpaid to begin with, and slowing down quicker than anticipated. The Rangers were gifted an out by the new CBA. They would be idiotic not to take it.
Exactly, and I think they were idiotic not to take it this year. They have put themselves in cap jail this offseason, causing them to lose two picks for a plug who hardly played for them, unable to make any substantial moves to upgrade their depth, and leaving themselves vulnerable to a predatory offer sheet for McDonough or Stepan which they would be unable to match.

Bannor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannor View Post
Exactly, and I think they were idiotic not to take it this year. They have put themselves in cap jail this offseason, causing them to lose two picks for a plug who hardly played for them, unable to make any substantial moves to upgrade their depth, and leaving themselves vulnerable to a predatory offer sheet for McDonough or Stepan which they would be unable to match.
Your post became more and more gloomy until you got to a final point that isnt even true.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:04 AM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Your post became more and more gloomy until you got to a final point that isnt even true.
Of course it's true. That doesn't mean it will happen, it means it could happen. That's why the previous statement of not buying out Richards to force McDonagh and Stepan to take less due to cap space is ridiculous.

Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:36 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Richards wasnt the only guy to have a poor season. Gaborik, Girardi, Del Zotto, Callahan and even McDonagh regressed from the previous season.

Sometimes the lockout is a good enough excuse. Torts just compounded the issues by driving a wedge.

I have a hard time believing Richards is completely washed up, both physically and mentally.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Of course it's true. That doesn't mean it will happen, it means it could happen. That's why the previous statement of not buying out Richards to force McDonagh and Stepan to take less due to cap space is ridiculous.
But even if it is true, what is someone going to offer McD? It's not going to be 7M per year.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
If the Rangers cant match an offer sheet for McD or Stepan, it means the offer sheet was ridiculous and the team can have the player.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If the Rangers cant match an offer sheet for McD or Stepan, it means the offer sheet was ridiculous and the team can have the player.
Anything over 5m means we get 4 1st-round picks. No team in the world would do that unless it's for a player like Stamkos, Tavares, Crosby, P. Kane or Malkin. However, losing McD and Stepan and getting a total of 8 first rounders would be amazing. Imagine the trade value of those picks!!!

07-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

I don't think there are enough teams around the league with the kind of cap space needed to be slinging offer sheets to either player. Some of the teams that could have their own FA's to sign or are missing the required picks to compensate for an offer sheet.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:22 PM
SchultzSquared

Oilers fan coming in peace... would you do Hemsky for Richards and Boyle??? Shorter cheaper contract... you only have to find a place for Hemsky for one year and then he is gone if he sucks... Richards of course will be around a while but Oilers could use him short term to fill in for RNH as he recovers from shoulder surgery

Nash-Stepan-Hemsky
Kreider-Brassard-Callahan
Hagelin-Lindberg-Zuccarello
Pouliot-Moore-Dorsett

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:36 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Oilers fan coming in peace... would you do Hemsky for Richards and Boyle??? Shorter cheaper contract... you only have to find a place for Hemsky for one year and then he is gone if he sucks... Richards of course will be around a while but Oilers could use him short term to fill in for RNH as he recovers from shoulder surgery

Nash-Stepan-Hemsky
Pouliot-Moore-Dorsett
Which airport do you need them at? Newark is easiest for me...

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:39 PM
DudMan28

Quote:

Nash-Stepan-Hemsky
Pouliot-Moore-Dorsett
Its hard to say. On paper that team looks pretty good. However, last year we banked on Kreider getting big minutes and he didnt produce which hurt us. Banking on him being top 6 and Lindberg being ready for the 3C is a huge risk if it doesnt work out.

DudMan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:41 PM
JayMan82

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudMan28 View Post
Its hard to say. On paper that team looks pretty good. However, last year we banked on Kreider getting big minutes and he didnt produce which hurt us. Banking on him being top 6 and Lindberg being ready for the 3C is a huge risk if it doesnt work out.
I believe JT would play the 3 hole if a trade like this were to happen.

JayMan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Kershaw

Quote:

Nash-Stepan-Hemsky
Pouliot-Moore-Dorsett
not sure with cap restructuring penalty, but if Edmonton doesn't plan on buying out Beaver, I would do it without hesitation. Addition by subtraction.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:29 PM
JaeTM

Can someone explain to me why if Richards gets traded, then hurt, we're responsible for some/all (not sure) of his salary/cap? Is it because of the 35+ contract? I'm confused.

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Miller Time NYR
Wrong^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pass art by Brassard View Post
I read somewhere, that a possible reason behind not buying Richards out is, to re-sign our RFA's with less cap space, basically forcing them to agree to cheaper deals. If Richards was bought out, they could all ask for the jackpot, during negotiations.
I don't buy that for a second, if the rfa's we have wanted money they'd hold out for it or get moved and get the money elsewhere.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:36 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeTM View Post
Can someone explain to me why if Richards gets traded, then hurt, we're responsible for some/all (not sure) of his salary/cap? Is it because of the 35+ contract? I'm confused.
Nothing to do w/ the 35+ provision, as Richards was signed well before 35. The recapture penalty was instituted to 'punish" teams for back-diving contracts (where the later years with nominal salary were added to lower the overall cap hit).

If Richards was traded, then got hurt, the Rangers would not be subject to any recapture penalty. He could be put on Long-term Injury Reserve until he was fit to play again.

However, if Richards retires at any point prior to the completion of his contract, both the Rangers and the receiving team are both responsible and split the cap recapture penalty. But that split is heavily tilted towards the Rangers, as they received the large benefit of paying a larger salary with an artificially low cap hit.

To run examples, go to:

http://capgeek.com/recapture-calculator/

Too many variables to post.

Last edited by frozenrubber: 07-09-2013 at 12:52 AM.
frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:47 AM
frozenrubber

Let's post some real numbers.

If Brad Richards retires, here is the annual recapture penalty:

Possible Off-season Retirement Dates:

2013* (until 2020): $1,523,810
2014** (until 2020): $2,166,667
2015 (until 2020): $2,966,667
2016 (until 2020): $4,166,667
2017 (until 2020): $5,666,667
2018 (until 2020): $5,666,667
2019 (until 2020): $5,666,667

*if he retires and becomes a monk this off-season
**if he's injured for the buy-out window, but retires during the off-season

Last edited by frozenrubber: 07-09-2013 at 12:55 AM.
Old
07-09-2013, 01:11 AM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
Let's post some real numbers.

If Brad Richards retires, here is the annual recapture penalty:

Possible Off-season Retirement Dates:

2013* (until 2020): $1,523,810
2014** (until 2020): $2,166,667
2015 (until 2020): $2,966,667
2016 (until 2020): $4,166,667
2017 (until 2020): $5,666,667
2018 (until 2020): $5,666,667
2019 (until 2020): $5,666,667

*if he retires and becomes a monk this off-season
**if he's injured for the buy-out window, but retires during the off-season
Though the 5M is high, with the cap going up, the 5M does not necessarily put the Rangers in a terrible position. If god forbid he does get hurt this coming season and cannot play, and then cannot be bought out, we get a 2M penalty for the next 7 years... but if the cap goes up to 80M, that 2M would hardly do any serious damage.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:38 AM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Though the 5M is high, with the cap going up, the 5M does not necessarily put the Rangers in a terrible position. If god forbid he does get hurt this coming season and cannot play, and then cannot be bought out, we get a 2M penalty for the next 7 years... but if the cap goes up to 80M, that 2M would hardly do any serious damage.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong
The recapture penalties listed for 2013-2015 are manageable if worse came to worse.

But, Richards would have to be worth 6.66 million during those seasons or on LTI. And convincing a player to retire is no easy feat.

Old
07-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Frolic and DeTorts

We have to assume the Rangers brass did the math, I hope at least

Frolic and DeTorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:30 AM
JaeTM

Hm..ok. I don't understand why we would have any part to do with Richards even after we traded him though?

JaeTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:57 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The NHL Network is in summer mode. They showed game 6 of the 2004 finals last night. TB was trailing 3-2 in the series. They won game 6 in double OT in Calgary to force game 7. Look at that Brad Richards and the modern day version. Major difference. Torts had Tampa blocking shots. Pavel Kubina was a monster. He blocked a million shots. Like Girardi. Marty St. Louis looked the same as he does today. What does that guy do to keep his game at the same level? Richards has been working out with Marty who lives in CT during the summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The NHL Network is in summer mode. They showed game 6 of the 2004 finals last night. TB was trailing 3-2 in the series. They won game 6 in double OT in Calgary to force game 7. Look at that Brad Richards and the modern day version. Major difference. Torts had Tampa blocking shots. Pavel Kubina was a monster. He blocked a million shots. Like Girardi. Marty St. Louis looked the same as he does today. What does that guy do to keep his game at the same level? Richards has been working out with Marty who lives in CT during the summer.
Yeah, I watched that game 6 yesterday. Richards was making quick, great decisions on the powerplay, setting up cross ice one-timers, and wasn't being the stupid, slow beaver he is today. Amazing how much he has gone downhill.

(Of course, the overall talent level on that Tampa PP was very high)

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote