HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Jared Cowen is a RFA

Old
07-06-2013, 07:35 PM
SI90

vCash: 500
I thought AHL does not count towards it?

SI90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:36 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

vCash: 50
Lets just say this, if the sens lose cowen, then no matter who we add to our offense department, we will be in trouble come next season. We just cannot lose another defensemen.
I don't see the sens losing cowen though. They will most likely match any offsheet he gets. But many sens fans didn't think we could lose alfie, so i guess anything is possible.

Last edited by The Cake Is A Lie: 07-06-2013 at 07:42 PM.
The Cake Is A Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:40 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrannigan View Post
Was there a CSI type investigation into this?
Results are in from the investigation of your post: stupid and unfunny. With the amount of hilarious Melnyk CSI jokes I've seen on here that have made me laugh my ass off, this one has to be one of the worst. Bow your head in shame, you're ruining it for the rest of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
I don't get it either. It is the rules as written. I blame their owner, who runs around acting like a 5-year-old. Influences the fans to do the same.
What is so difficult to get? The confusion obviously stems from that fact this was just noticed now, in July...

Last edited by Nuckles: 07-06-2013 at 07:58 PM. Reason: removed inappropriate comment
The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:41 PM
Draiskull

vCash: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Ever22 View Post
For a guy that is coming off a season where he was mostly injured and did not really play up to his full potential, that would be over payment.
An offer sheet would obviously have to be a huge over payment if the idea is to pry away the player.

No team is going to offersheet him 3M x 3yrs and there is no reason for Cowen to sign it..
EDM overpaid Penner by about 2M when they cnatched him from ANA.. If a team wants Cowen via offersheet they'll have to sign him to 5M+. Anything under would be easily matched.

Draiskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:44 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
An offer sheet would obviously have to be a huge over payment if the idea is to pry away the player.

No team is going to offersheet him 3M x 3yrs and there is no reason for Cowen to sign it..
EDM overpaid Penner by about 2M when they cnatched him from ANA.. If a team wants Cowen via offersheet they'll have to sign him to 5M+. Anything under would be easily matched.
I agree. Would any team try to pry cowen away for 5+ million though? If you look what happened to cowen last season, i think it would be a huge risk to offer cowen 5+ million at this current time.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Chet Donnelly
HFBoards Sponsor

Ottawa will sign him pretty quickly.

Chet Donnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:52 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:

And anything over would be a ridiculous contract that kills a team. Cowen is one of the least likely offer sheet targets on the market, anyone who is even the slightest bit concerned is paranoid.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:55 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
He is a bandaid and the puck looked like a grenade this year. No way I give him that amount on that term.

This is where you and I differ then. He's battled injury issues, but he's gonna be a solid player for us for a long, long time.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Iamok
#Panic

If you're willing to throw serious cash around for an offersheet, I don't see why you'd target Cowen when there are much more proven options out there.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

An offer sheet could also be used to prevent Ottawa from having the right to negotiate the contract numbers they want for Cowen. It's an a-hole thing to do, but it's still possible.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:00 PM
IranCondraAffair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
An offer sheet could also be used to prevent Ottawa from having the right to negotiate the contract numbers they want for Cowen. It's an a-hole thing to do, but it's still possible.
What people keep forgetting is that the danger of an offersheet would have been greater NEXT season had Cowen an extra year to prove himself after injury. It was an eventuality that he hit RFA.

At least this season, teams who made an offersheet won't have as much to go on.

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
And anything over would be a ridiculous contract that kills a team. Cowen is one of the least likely offer sheet targets on the market, anyone who is even the slightest bit concerned is paranoid.
Don't people have a right to be paranoid though? Just look what happened with the alfie situation. Most sens fans were 100% confident that alfie would return, but he did not. I know this is different being that cowen is a rfa, but i am not taking anything for granted anymore.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
What people keep forgetting is that the danger of an offersheet would have been greater NEXT season had Cowen an extra year to prove himself after injury. It was an eventuality that he hit RFA.

I'm not disagreeing with you that his injuries this year will most likely prevent an offer sheet. I'm just stating that it's still possible for other scenarios to happen. Not likely, but possible.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:05 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I would love to have him on the Oilers . Having said that I think player should be more loyal to the teams that drafted them and developed them . He should stay with the Sens at a team friendly cap hit about time players have some honor

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:07 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post

Yeah, for sure. This was the wrong time for him to be an RFA.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

Quote:
Time for some 6.6M x 5yr offersheets ...

If OTT matches, Cowen makes more than Karlsson.. If they dont they are in deep trouble at blue line..
With over 15M in cap room they will be forced to match the offer.

Go ahead. We will take the picks.

We are loaded with LHD prospects. We will sign him. If not, we will move on.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

I am not really worried too be honest. I am more worried about next year when robin lehner becomes rfa. I wonder if any team will give him an offer sheet?

Old
07-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
I would love to have him on the Oilers . Having said that I think player should be more loyal to the teams that drafted them and developed them . He should stay with the Sens at a team friendly cap hit about time players have some honor
We're talking about people that play a game. They're literally just entertainment. The world could easily go on without them making millions providing that said entertainment. I don't expect much from entertainers as to being loyal or showing honor. I actually think honor is not the right word to use when it relates to non important parts of society. A doctor, nurse, teacher...sure. Entertainers not really.

Anyways, that was my little rant for the day, lol

Old
07-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBrannigan View Post
You would think the agent would have been more on top of this, it's his job to get his player as much money as possible. Weird how these things can happen with as many eyes as there are on this type of thing.

When your owner makes an ass of himself that horse will get beaten quite severely.
as a tampa fan, surely you're used to owners making ***** of themselves

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:38 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens4Ever22 View Post
I agree. Would any team try to pry cowen away for 5+ million though? If you look what happened to cowen last season, i think it would be a huge risk to offer cowen 5+ million at this current time.
Eh, as an Oilers fan I would be okay with 5 year $5.5M per... 1st 2nd 3rd I think in compensation... so steep... but he fills our elite young LHD hole...

Smid-J. Schultz
Cowen-Petry
Ference-Klefbom

Then we just buyout Nick Schultz... not too difficult..

SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:39 PM
heusy_79
9 - 20 - 8

vCash: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'm probably in the minority in this one, but I have not been impressed by Cowen's game since last year's playoffs. He made terrible and very memorable pinches in the Rangers series that led to odd man-rushes against. I thought he was getting abused by the Malkin line in the playoffs this year, but he was coming off of injury and defending Geno isn't easy. I don't think he's earned a Hamonic contract at this point in time, I think a 3 yrs 7.5 mil contract is modest right now and fair for both sides.
You need to remember how young Cowen still is, just 22 years old with under 100 games of NHL experience. Dmen usually hit their prime between the ages of 25 and 30, still lot's of time for Cowen to learn the NHL game as far as decision making is concerned. The fact is he is able to dominate at times already on sheer physical attributes alone.

Cowen is on a very similar development path as Chris Pronger, who didn't truly start to blossom until his 4th season in the league. I think Cowen, like Pronger, will just end up being too talented and dominant to not become a top dman in this league. Guys with his complete package just don't come along too often.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:46 PM
The Cake Is A Lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
Eh, as an Oilers fan I would be okay with 5 year $5.5M per... 1st 2nd 3rd I think in compensation... so steep... but he fills our elite young LHD hole...

Smid-J. Schultz
Cowen-Petry
Ference-Klefbom

Then we just buyout Nick Schultz... not too difficult..
That is just massive over payment though. 5m+ for a guy who has really just played one full season?

Old
07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
What is so difficult to get? The confusion obviously stems from that fact this was just noticed now, in July...
This is what I'm stuck on the most. How didn't Ottawa know? Or Cowen or his agent? Why didn't the NHL notice earlier? Or if they did notice earlier, why are they only saying something now? What kind of repercussions stem from this, due to it being behind schedule?

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
This is what I'm stuck on the most. How didn't Ottawa know? Or Cowen or his agent? Why didn't the NHL notice earlier? Or if they did notice earlier, why are they only saying something now? What kind of repercussions stem from this, due to it being behind schedule?
I have a feeling Ottawa knew, but the media didn't. Apparently he was qualified with our other RFAs.

I might be off base here, hopefully someone can confirm that, but that's what I understand.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:40 PM
aemoreira1981

Given that Cowen missed most of this season---I think that this is great news for Cowen as the Sens can just extend a bridge contract to Cowen.

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote