HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
WartracePred

vCash: 500
Something not mentioned in these threads, but highlighted in Poile's presser is protecting Forsberg and Jones. Cullen, Nystrom, and Hendricks are supposed to be deterrents for guys taking shots at the rookies. I think Trotz has had enough of watching his guys on the receiving end of cheap shots. These additions should allow Forsberg, Jones, Ellis, and possibly Smith more confidence and comfort to be creative with the puck. Games against the Blues should be a slugfest.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:02 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Something not mentioned in these threads, but highlighted in Poile's presser is protecting Forsberg and Jones. Cullen, Nystrom, and Hendricks are supposed to be deterrents for guys taking shots at the rookies. I think Trotz has had enough of watching his guys on the receiving end of cheap shots. These additions should allow Forsberg, Jones, Ellis, and possibly Smith more confidence and comfort to be creative with the puck. Games against the Blues should be a slugfest.
Also Hornqvist protection. Less face washing

Old
07-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Cullen doesn't add anything to team toughness. But team toughness was definitely addressed. I'm not opposed to enforcers that can play the game, but it is nice to see the team entering the season without a heavyweight enforcer on the roster and instead simply team tough.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cullen doesn't add anything to team toughness. But team toughness was definitely addressed. I'm not opposed to enforcers that can play the game, but it is nice to see the team entering the season without a heavyweight enforcer on the roster and instead simply team tough.
"We liked the 'by-committee' approach so much, we decided to adopt it for the enforcer role as well."

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-06-2013, 08:05 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

So NSH gets faster, bigger, grittier and improves their D.... And people are worried. I still say the Preds are a playoff team.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Yea cause we are still gonna be anemic on offense

Old
07-06-2013, 08:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
And so will every other team that plays NSH

Old
07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
"We liked the 'by-committee' approach so much, we decided to adopt it for the enforcer role as well."
Detroit and Chicago have done it. Those are the teams we are designed to beat, so... Yeah, I guess that's the theory...

Old
07-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
I think the major disconnect is people looking at the additions as adding to the mid-level AHL team the Preds were icing at the end of the season last year after losing 8 of the top 9 to injury and not looking at the additions as putting us far ahead of where we were at the start of last season.

Are we going to have an explosive offense? Heck no. Are we going to be able to compete on a nightly basis? Yes, we should be. The key again will be scoring three goals. If you think of the number of one goal losses last season we had with Pekka battling a hip injury and having little support in front of him, you have to like our odds having a healthy Rinne in goal, a stronger defense, three balanced scoring lines, and one of the best energy/checking lines in front of him next season.

We are not currently contenders. We are back to being a playoff caliber team. I still think we are a season away from making another run, but we are back to being a pain in the butt to play against that will make you work harder than us to beat us and will dominate you if you are unprepared or unwilling to do so...

Old
07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
I think the major disconnect is people looking at the additions as adding to the mid-level AHL team the Preds were icing at the end of the season last year after losing 8 of the top 9 to injury and not looking at the additions as putting us far ahead of where we were at the start of last season.

Are we going to have an explosive offense? Heck no. Are we going to be able to compete on a nightly basis? Yes, we should be. The key again will be scoring three goals. If you think of the number of one goal losses last season we had with Pekka battling a hip injury and having little support in front of him, you have to like our odds having a healthy Rinne in goal, a stronger defense, three balanced scoring lines, and one of the best energy/checking lines in front of him next season.

We are not currently contenders. We are back to being a playoff caliber team. I still think we are a season away from making another run, but we are back to being a pain in the butt to play against that will make you work harder than us to beat us and will dominate you if you are unprepared or unwilling to do so...
Yes.

Old
07-06-2013, 08:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:

please comment on how badly the lack of defensemen who could make an outlet pass and/or skate the puck up the ice hurt our offense last year, and does Jones go a long way toward fixing that? And does Josi do it better now than he did early in the season?

Old
07-06-2013, 09:09 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
please comment on how badly the lack of defensemen who could make an outlet pass and/or skate the puck up the ice hurt our offense last year, and does Jones go a long way toward fixing that? And does Josi do it better now than he did early in the season?
Acquiring puck moving defensemen has been a priority for the team this summer, especially after the addition of Phil Housley to the coaching staff (yes, I believe there was a definite connection to that). When you think back to us starting with a gaping hole on the first pairing from Suter's departure, to pairing Klein with Hannan, and Gill with an unprepared Ellis to now having Weber pair with a proven Josi, Klein likely with Jones or Ekholm, and a third pairing of Ekholm, Bartley, and/or Jones we are still largely unproven, but faster and much more able to quickly transition up the ice with a strong first pass and correct read out of the zone.

The first pass is critical to setting up the timing and direction of the breakout. The quicker you can get back to the puck, the quicker you can turn up ice and make your read. The quicker you are able to make your read and get the pass away the quicker the defense must move in response to the new position of the puck and adjust the angle, depth, and support of their forecheck.

The more efficient the team becomes in moving the puck quickly out of the defendive end, the better the team becomes winning the battles along the boards to get the puck outside of the blue line, and more the team becomes able to stretch the opposing defense out into the neutral zone, the more we will be able to attack through the neutral zone with speed and push the defense back instead of having to dump the puck in and chase after it to generate any opportunity.

It'll be a work in progress. There will be nights when players reflect their youth and shifts were the puck winds up in the back of our net because of a bad read or mishandle, but moving forward the defense should become an effective part of our offense.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:11 PM
Infinite Jest

It's a complete pipe dream, but I wish we could sign Jagr to a one year deal.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:29 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
So NSH gets faster, bigger, grittier and improves their D.... And people are worried. I still say the Preds are a playoff team.
What you say is true however At this point the Preds will need to finish above one of

Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
St Louis

Chances are this year that is not going to happen. Three of these have improved over last year and the Hawks well are the Hawks.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
What you say is true however At this point the Preds will need to finish above one of

Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
St Louis

Chances are this year that is not going to happen. Three of these have improved over last year and the Hawks well are the Hawks.
Realistically the Preds need to finish better than 2 of those. Not sure they would get a Wild Card spot.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:16 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't know that Dallas got any better in the short term. Eriksson, right now, is a better player than Seguin. In the long term Dallas may very well win that trade, but going into next year they are not likely to benefit from it. Their defense still needs work, and if Lehtonen falters they are going to have to score a lot to make up for their inability to keep the puck out of the net. Now, we don't have the best offense, but we have a pretty good defense and a world class goalie. Plus they will be playing against some teams that are adept at playing defense while still scoring.

St Louis has been a factor and will continue to be. I'm hoping Hitch loses the room like he has been known to do in the past. I'm not banking on it though. I think the loss of McDonald is covered up but the acquisition of Roy, but Roy is also injury prone. Even if he stays healthy, they did not make any major leaps forward.

Minnesota didn't do much. They were not a better team than us last year until after the injuries took over.

Chicago is going to be a force.

At worst, I think we are able to give a run to Minnesota, St Louis and Dallas if we stay healthy.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:32 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post

Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
St Louis

you're going to have to 'splain to me how Minny and the Blues have improved over last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Realistically the Preds need to finish better than 2 of those. Not sure they would get a Wild Card spot.
can you explain what you mean here? Is it not the top 4 in each division?

Old
07-07-2013, 06:33 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

It always comes down to health. If any team above us has injuries like we did this season they will fall in the rankings, just like we would if it happened again.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Tennman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
can you explain what you mean here? Is it not the top 4 in each division?
The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.
thanks. after reading up on it I think what is interesting is there are now only 14 teams in the west. so unless one division is really bad and one is really good, you just have to beat out 6 teams total and youre in

Old
07-08-2013, 10:42 AM
Infinite Jest

Don't think I've seen it mentioned around here, but I saw from some decent sources (team beat writers I think) that the team we outbid for Hendricks was Philly and the team we outbid for Nystrom was Edmonton.

Old
07-08-2013, 12:09 PM
PFL615

Mueller signs with Stars. The rivalry gets better...

Old
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
Don't think I've seen it mentioned around here, but I saw from some decent sources (team beat writers I think) that the team we outbid for Hendricks was Philly and the team we outbid for Nystrom was Edmonton.
While I'm happy we outbid these teams for these players I would take Lapeire at 1.1 over Hendricks and Cooke over nystrom at the same cap hit but 1 less year.

Hendricks I'm more ok with but Nystrom doesn't bring all that much to the table like Cooke would have. You do have to cinsider the fact that it isn't easy to bring guys into Nashville so we got what we could get and I'm just happy to see us spending some bucks. I just hope we spent the right bucks on the right players. Only time will tell.

Old
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Personally, I'm glad we didn't bring in Cooke. I know he is a better player, and I know he cleaned up his act. However, he is still under the microscope perhaps more so than any other player not named Raffi Torres. There is also the potential for him to get stupid, throw one completely unnecessary hit, and suddenly our team is worse off because he is suspended.

Lapierre may be a bit more appealing than Hendricks because of a cheaper price tag, but he is not substantially better than Hendricks in terms of offensive ability (they are both mediocre at best) and Hendricks brings more toughness.

Cooke brings too much baggage, and Lapierre... I just can't stand that guy. Yes I'm biased

Old
07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It feels very strange turning down proposals on the Trade forum because of cap space.

Closed Thread