HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FA/Trade Talk

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-06-2013, 07:58 PM
  #826
WartracePred
Registered User
 
WartracePred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Something not mentioned in these threads, but highlighted in Poile's presser is protecting Forsberg and Jones. Cullen, Nystrom, and Hendricks are supposed to be deterrents for guys taking shots at the rookies. I think Trotz has had enough of watching his guys on the receiving end of cheap shots. These additions should allow Forsberg, Jones, Ellis, and possibly Smith more confidence and comfort to be creative with the puck. Games against the Blues should be a slugfest.

WartracePred is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:02 PM
  #827
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Something not mentioned in these threads, but highlighted in Poile's presser is protecting Forsberg and Jones. Cullen, Nystrom, and Hendricks are supposed to be deterrents for guys taking shots at the rookies. I think Trotz has had enough of watching his guys on the receiving end of cheap shots. These additions should allow Forsberg, Jones, Ellis, and possibly Smith more confidence and comfort to be creative with the puck. Games against the Blues should be a slugfest.
Also Hornqvist protection. Less face washing

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:02 PM
  #828
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
Something not mentioned in these threads, but highlighted in Poile's presser is protecting Forsberg and Jones. Cullen, Nystrom, and Hendricks are supposed to be deterrents for guys taking shots at the rookies. I think Trotz has had enough of watching his guys on the receiving end of cheap shots. These additions should allow Forsberg, Jones, Ellis, and possibly Smith more confidence and comfort to be creative with the puck. Games against the Blues should be a slugfest.
Cullen doesn't add anything to team toughness. But team toughness was definitely addressed. I'm not opposed to enforcers that can play the game, but it is nice to see the team entering the season without a heavyweight enforcer on the roster and instead simply team tough.

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:03 PM
  #829
Viqsi
carrying the flag
 
Viqsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The Scary Internet
Country: United States
Posts: 20,385
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Cullen doesn't add anything to team toughness. But team toughness was definitely addressed. I'm not opposed to enforcers that can play the game, but it is nice to see the team entering the season without a heavyweight enforcer on the roster and instead simply team tough.
"We liked the 'by-committee' approach so much, we decided to adopt it for the enforcer role as well."

__________________
Remember - when you're a hockey fan, it's not "reckless driving", it's "good forechecking".
"Viqsi, you are our sweet humanist..." --mt-svk on the CBJ boards

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:05 PM
  #830
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,984
vCash: 500
So NSH gets faster, bigger, grittier and improves their D.... And people are worried. I still say the Preds are a playoff team.

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
  #831
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,984
vCash: 500
Yea cause we are still gonna be anemic on offense

I Will Son is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:07 PM
  #832
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Yea cause we are still gonna be anemic on offense
And so will every other team that plays NSH

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:08 PM
  #833
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
"We liked the 'by-committee' approach so much, we decided to adopt it for the enforcer role as well."
Detroit and Chicago have done it. Those are the teams we are designed to beat, so... Yeah, I guess that's the theory...

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:17 PM
  #834
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Yea cause we are still gonna be anemic on offense
I think the major disconnect is people looking at the additions as adding to the mid-level AHL team the Preds were icing at the end of the season last year after losing 8 of the top 9 to injury and not looking at the additions as putting us far ahead of where we were at the start of last season.

Are we going to have an explosive offense? Heck no. Are we going to be able to compete on a nightly basis? Yes, we should be. The key again will be scoring three goals. If you think of the number of one goal losses last season we had with Pekka battling a hip injury and having little support in front of him, you have to like our odds having a healthy Rinne in goal, a stronger defense, three balanced scoring lines, and one of the best energy/checking lines in front of him next season.

We are not currently contenders. We are back to being a playoff caliber team. I still think we are a season away from making another run, but we are back to being a pain in the butt to play against that will make you work harder than us to beat us and will dominate you if you are unprepared or unwilling to do so...

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:33 PM
  #835
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I think the major disconnect is people looking at the additions as adding to the mid-level AHL team the Preds were icing at the end of the season last year after losing 8 of the top 9 to injury and not looking at the additions as putting us far ahead of where we were at the start of last season.

Are we going to have an explosive offense? Heck no. Are we going to be able to compete on a nightly basis? Yes, we should be. The key again will be scoring three goals. If you think of the number of one goal losses last season we had with Pekka battling a hip injury and having little support in front of him, you have to like our odds having a healthy Rinne in goal, a stronger defense, three balanced scoring lines, and one of the best energy/checking lines in front of him next season.

We are not currently contenders. We are back to being a playoff caliber team. I still think we are a season away from making another run, but we are back to being a pain in the butt to play against that will make you work harder than us to beat us and will dominate you if you are unprepared or unwilling to do so...
Yes.

Drake744 is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 08:52 PM
  #836
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I think the major disconnect is people looking at the additions as adding to the mid-level AHL team the Preds were icing at the end of the season last year after losing 8 of the top 9 to injury and not looking at the additions as putting us far ahead of where we were at the start of last season.

Are we going to have an explosive offense? Heck no. Are we going to be able to compete on a nightly basis? Yes, we should be. The key again will be scoring three goals. If you think of the number of one goal losses last season we had with Pekka battling a hip injury and having little support in front of him, you have to like our odds having a healthy Rinne in goal, a stronger defense, three balanced scoring lines, and one of the best energy/checking lines in front of him next season.

We are not currently contenders. We are back to being a playoff caliber team. I still think we are a season away from making another run, but we are back to being a pain in the butt to play against that will make you work harder than us to beat us and will dominate you if you are unprepared or unwilling to do so...
please comment on how badly the lack of defensemen who could make an outlet pass and/or skate the puck up the ice hurt our offense last year, and does Jones go a long way toward fixing that? And does Josi do it better now than he did early in the season?

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-06-2013, 09:09 PM
  #837
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
please comment on how badly the lack of defensemen who could make an outlet pass and/or skate the puck up the ice hurt our offense last year, and does Jones go a long way toward fixing that? And does Josi do it better now than he did early in the season?
Acquiring puck moving defensemen has been a priority for the team this summer, especially after the addition of Phil Housley to the coaching staff (yes, I believe there was a definite connection to that). When you think back to us starting with a gaping hole on the first pairing from Suter's departure, to pairing Klein with Hannan, and Gill with an unprepared Ellis to now having Weber pair with a proven Josi, Klein likely with Jones or Ekholm, and a third pairing of Ekholm, Bartley, and/or Jones we are still largely unproven, but faster and much more able to quickly transition up the ice with a strong first pass and correct read out of the zone.

The first pass is critical to setting up the timing and direction of the breakout. The quicker you can get back to the puck, the quicker you can turn up ice and make your read. The quicker you are able to make your read and get the pass away the quicker the defense must move in response to the new position of the puck and adjust the angle, depth, and support of their forecheck.

The more efficient the team becomes in moving the puck quickly out of the defendive end, the better the team becomes winning the battles along the boards to get the puck outside of the blue line, and more the team becomes able to stretch the opposing defense out into the neutral zone, the more we will be able to attack through the neutral zone with speed and push the defense back instead of having to dump the puck in and chase after it to generate any opportunity.

It'll be a work in progress. There will be nights when players reflect their youth and shifts were the puck winds up in the back of our net because of a bad read or mishandle, but moving forward the defense should become an effective part of our offense.

Seth Lake is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 11:11 PM
  #838
Infinite Jest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 602
vCash: 50
It's a complete pipe dream, but I wish we could sign Jagr to a one year deal.

Infinite Jest is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 11:29 PM
  #839
Byrddog
Registered User
 
Byrddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
So NSH gets faster, bigger, grittier and improves their D.... And people are worried. I still say the Preds are a playoff team.
What you say is true however At this point the Preds will need to finish above one of

Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
St Louis

Chances are this year that is not going to happen. Three of these have improved over last year and the Hawks well are the Hawks.

Byrddog is offline  
Old
07-06-2013, 11:40 PM
  #840
Preds33
Registered User
 
Preds33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
What you say is true however At this point the Preds will need to finish above one of

Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
St Louis

Chances are this year that is not going to happen. Three of these have improved over last year and the Hawks well are the Hawks.
Realistically the Preds need to finish better than 2 of those. Not sure they would get a Wild Card spot.

Preds33 is online now  
Old
07-07-2013, 12:16 AM
  #841
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,959
vCash: 500
I don't know that Dallas got any better in the short term. Eriksson, right now, is a better player than Seguin. In the long term Dallas may very well win that trade, but going into next year they are not likely to benefit from it. Their defense still needs work, and if Lehtonen falters they are going to have to score a lot to make up for their inability to keep the puck out of the net. Now, we don't have the best offense, but we have a pretty good defense and a world class goalie. Plus they will be playing against some teams that are adept at playing defense while still scoring.

St Louis has been a factor and will continue to be. I'm hoping Hitch loses the room like he has been known to do in the past. I'm not banking on it though. I think the loss of McDonald is covered up but the acquisition of Roy, but Roy is also injury prone. Even if he stays healthy, they did not make any major leaps forward.

Minnesota didn't do much. They were not a better team than us last year until after the injuries took over.

Chicago is going to be a force.

At worst, I think we are able to give a run to Minnesota, St Louis and Dallas if we stay healthy.

TMI is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 05:32 AM
  #842
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
What you say is true however At this point the Preds will need to finish above one of

Chicago
Dallas
Minnesota
St Louis

Chances are this year that is not going to happen. Three of these have improved over last year and the Hawks well are the Hawks.
you're going to have to 'splain to me how Minny and the Blues have improved over last year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Realistically the Preds need to finish better than 2 of those. Not sure they would get a Wild Card spot.
can you explain what you mean here? Is it not the top 4 in each division?

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-07-2013, 06:33 AM
  #843
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,249
vCash: 500
It always comes down to health. If any team above us has injuries like we did this season they will fall in the rankings, just like we would if it happened again.

triggrman is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 06:51 AM
  #844
Tennman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mt. Juliet, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
can you explain what you mean here? Is it not the top 4 in each division?
The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.

Tennman is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 07:16 AM
  #845
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,830
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennman View Post
The top three teams in each division will make up the first 12 teams in the playoffs. The remaining four spots will be filled by the next two highest-placed finishers in each conference, based on regular-season points and regardless of division. It will be possible, then, for one division to send five teams to the postseason while the other sends three.
thanks. after reading up on it I think what is interesting is there are now only 14 teams in the west. so unless one division is really bad and one is really good, you just have to beat out 6 teams total and youre in

PredsV82 is online now  
Old
07-08-2013, 10:42 AM
  #846
Infinite Jest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 602
vCash: 50
Don't think I've seen it mentioned around here, but I saw from some decent sources (team beat writers I think) that the team we outbid for Hendricks was Philly and the team we outbid for Nystrom was Edmonton.

Infinite Jest is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 12:09 PM
  #847
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,577
vCash: 500
Mueller signs with Stars. The rivalry gets better...

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 12:28 PM
  #848
Persona5
Registered User
 
Persona5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 1,030
vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Jest View Post
Don't think I've seen it mentioned around here, but I saw from some decent sources (team beat writers I think) that the team we outbid for Hendricks was Philly and the team we outbid for Nystrom was Edmonton.
While I'm happy we outbid these teams for these players I would take Lapeire at 1.1 over Hendricks and Cooke over nystrom at the same cap hit but 1 less year.

Hendricks I'm more ok with but Nystrom doesn't bring all that much to the table like Cooke would have. You do have to cinsider the fact that it isn't easy to bring guys into Nashville so we got what we could get and I'm just happy to see us spending some bucks. I just hope we spent the right bucks on the right players. Only time will tell.

Persona5 is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 12:38 PM
  #849
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,959
vCash: 500
Personally, I'm glad we didn't bring in Cooke. I know he is a better player, and I know he cleaned up his act. However, he is still under the microscope perhaps more so than any other player not named Raffi Torres. There is also the potential for him to get stupid, throw one completely unnecessary hit, and suddenly our team is worse off because he is suspended.

Lapierre may be a bit more appealing than Hendricks because of a cheaper price tag, but he is not substantially better than Hendricks in terms of offensive ability (they are both mediocre at best) and Hendricks brings more toughness.

Cooke brings too much baggage, and Lapierre... I just can't stand that guy. Yes I'm biased

TMI is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 12:49 PM
  #850
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 43,959
vCash: 500
It feels very strange turning down proposals on the Trade forum because of cap space.

TMI is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.