HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres re-sign Sulzer

Old
07-06-2013, 01:21 PM
ZeroPT
Tanky as ****

vCash: 500
meh, don't mind the signing but it was expected

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 01:34 PM
MayDay

I don't think Sulzer is as bad as people make him out to be.

Decent skater, produced some goals, not a disaster in his own end. Competent bottom-pairing guy.

Plus he was probably cheap. I'm fine with bring him back, adding defensive depth, and providing more competition for spots in camp. Even if Sulzer doesn't start off on the roster, you know he can be a competen call-up/spot duty.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:29 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
I could see Pardy get signed on a 2 way contract similar to Ellis.
Pardy signed in Winnipeg

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I don't think Sulzer is as bad as people make him out to be.

Decent skater, produced some goals, not a disaster in his own end. Competent bottom-pairing guy.

Plus he was probably cheap. I'm fine with bring him back, adding defensive depth, and providing more competition for spots in camp. Even if Sulzer doesn't start off on the roster, you know he can be a competen call-up/spot duty.
As a defenser, he is about as non-engaged to physical play as anyone has every been on the Sabres blueline. I suppose I'm a throw-back, but having a 6 or 7 or even 8 who is good classic defense -- shot blocking, crease clearing, that sort of thing -- is a personal preference.

But, at least they know him and that at least means he'll be familiar with most of his teammates and such. Eh.

07-06-2013, 03:13 PM
OcAirlines

The concerns regarding Sulzers lack of physical play are definitely warranted, but I think many people are overlooking the fact that Sulzer had the 2nd most goals of all of our Defensemen and he did that while only playing about a third of the season (17 games). Scoring from the Blueline has been one of our bigger problems in the recent past and this is one of the areas where Sulzer can chip in, for that alone I don't mind him as a depth-option. Plus, as others have already mentioned, he creates competition, but not too hard to overcome competition, for the young players who have to fight for a spot instead of it being gifted to them.

OcAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
The concerns regarding Sulzers lack of physical play are definitely warranted, but I think many people are overlooking the fact that Sulzer had the 2nd most goals of all of our Defensemen and he did that while only playing about a third of the season (17 games). Scoring from the Blueline has been one of our bigger problems in the recent past and this is one of the areas where Sulzer can chip in, for that alone I don't mind him as a depth-option. Plus, as others have already mentioned, he creates competition, but not too hard to overcome competition, for the young players who have to fight for a spot instead of it being gifted to them.
When his job is to defend and his only stretches of good play have come when coattailing Ehrhoff, it is a cause for concern. His shooting percentage as a Sabre appears to be way, way out of whack with his career numbers -- not that D-men, especially depth 6/7/8 types ought to be relied upon for their scoring totals, especially when not ever cast in an offensive role (PP time).

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:25 PM
OcAirlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
When his job is to defend and his only stretches of good play have come when coattailing Ehrhoff, it is a cause for concern. His shooting percentage as a Sabre appears to be way, way out of whack with his career numbers -- not that D-men, especially depth 6/7/8 types ought to be relied upon for their scoring totals, especially when not ever cast in an offensive role (PP time).
When you look at signing a cheap #7 guy you usually get either offense or physical style defense, but rarely both. If the team is looking for grit without any offensive factor they can still recall Bagnell anyway. Besides, I think the concerns regarding Sulzers defensive play are somewhat overblown. Yes his physical play is weak and that hurts his general defensive effectiveness quite a bit, but his positioning, stick-work and all those things are actually quite decent. That doesn't mean of course that I wouldn't have liked a more physical depth D-Man as well.

Old
07-06-2013, 03:48 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

signing is meh like Sulzer.

meh

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Lloydchristmas138

Don't love it, don't hate it. Wouldn't mind one more D acquisition, preferably someone better than Sulzer/Mcbain. Andrej Sekera of Carolina could be a good fit. As much as I want to see McNabb on the big club this year the thought of a McNabb-Ristolainen pairing in Rochester is enticing as well.

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:58 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
Don't love it, don't hate it. Wouldn't mind one more D acquisition, preferably someone better than Sulzer/Mcbain. Andrej Sekera of Carolina could be a good fit. As much as I want to see McNabb on the big club this year the thought of a McNabb-Ristolainen pairing in Rochester is enticing as well.
...Sekera...

you trollin'?

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 03:59 PM
OcAirlines

Btw I could very well see Sulzer being sent down over the course of the season if our young guys develop nicely and he is a proven AHL-producer, so at the very least Rochester should get some much needed help on D.

Old
07-06-2013, 04:16 PM
Lloydchristmas138

Quote:
Originally Posted by omglolnub View Post
...Sekera...

you trollin'?
Nope just mild sarcasm, I approve of the Sekera trade. A player with similar/slightly less ability as him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though, so Pysyk/Weber could be the 3rd pairing.

Lloydchristmas138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 04:58 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

He's awful. I don't care how he plays with Ehrhoff - Christian is fine on his own.

Any ice time given to him is ice time that should be given to someone younger with more potential.

He brings nothing. Would rather have Pardy.

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:06 PM
BUCKSHOT
w00t !!

Send a message via Yahoo to BUCKSHOT
Bill Hoppe ‏@BillHoppeNHL

Alexander Sulzer drew interest on the open market. But he couldn't leave the #Sabres.

BUCKSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/sab...se-adam-pardy/

I like when people show that kind of loyalty. Makes me happy. +1 for Sulzer.

Gabrielor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:53 PM
omglolnub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydchristmas138 View Post
Nope just mild sarcasm, I approve of the Sekera trade. A player with similar/slightly less ability as him wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though, so Pysyk/Weber could be the 3rd pairing.
oh, you forgot the haha

omglolnub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Armond White
Go Sabres!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Rivet-Myers
Weber-Pysyk
Rivet-Rivet
X Sulzer
Fixed to what I'd like to see.

Armond White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:05 PM
kenfury

Since no Hecht, we deeded Sulzer to help drive the tank. No one drives a tank like a German.

kenfury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:19 PM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
As a defenser, he is about as non-engaged to physical play as anyone has every been on the Sabres blueline. I suppose I'm a throw-back, but having a 6 or 7 or even 8 who is good classic defense -- shot blocking, crease clearing, that sort of thing -- is a personal preference.

But, at least they know him and that at least means he'll be familiar with most of his teammates and such. Eh.
I'm not really expecting a Scott Stevens with my 7th defenseman.

I don't need him to lay people out. As long as he can step in when needed, skate at an NHL level, and not be a defensive liability. And he's even shown the ability to chip in some goals, all the better.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:28 PM
Karate Johnson
Zemgus is my Copilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
Since no Hecht, we deeded Sulzer to help drive the tank. No one drives a tank like a German.

http://youtu.be/IpGZZRUKPLQ

Karate Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:40 PM
slip

When Sulzer's agent said other teams expressed interest, did he mean NHL teams?

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
I'm not really expecting a Scott Stevens with my 7th defenseman.

I don't need him to lay people out. As long as he can step in when needed, skate at an NHL level, and not be a defensive liability. And he's even shown the ability to chip in some goals, all the better.
I've never gone to the lengths to exaggerate that they need a perennial all-start at the #7. Simply someone who is actually good at defending, something Sulzer has not been except when riding Ehrhoff's coattails.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:52 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

The fact that it's only a 1 year deal though indicates they see him as a bridge player until the young kids are ready, nothing more. I'm fine with this, he's a warm body that won't rock the boat.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote