HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy agrees to 1 year deal

Old
07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofSlashFoig View Post
The fact that he has to take a physical concerns me. It tells me that his injury concerns are not all behind him. I don't want another head case like McDonald, where we know he's going to get injured at some point during the season.
Every player has to take a physical. This just means Roy signed the deal on vacation and hasn't visited STL.

Roy is quick, stealthy and has elite passing. Wanted him back on Van, great signing. He shouldn't be the primary scoring, he's the ultimate secondary scoring player.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
nickbaird757

Quote:
Originally Posted by YokoOno View Post
For those of you saying this is a good signing. The guy scored 7 goals last season, that puts him on pace for 14 goals... How does that warrant $4 Million?
Yeah, but he was also on pace for 42 assists..

nickbaird757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:09 PM
BlueBeard

vCash: 50
I'm wondering if he eventually is used like McDonald was on the wing. Before McDonald took a nose dive this past year he made whatever line he was on significantly more dangerous in the offensive zone.

If you can slot Roy next to Backes and get Backes back in that 30g range or put him with Berglund and Stewart and get 50+ goals out of the two of them this deal might not end up being too shabby.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Anyone else wanna see Steen - Roy - Tarasenko?

If the dude can dish the puck out, why not stick him with our best shooter and one of our best defensive forwards(who also has a nice shot)

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:20 PM
ExJbeck

I'm intrigued by this group, we certainly can win the cup with this roster. At least one of Berglund, Perron, Stewart or Halak are getting traded I wish I knew who for. With the one year contract my initial thought is that it sets up nicely for Statsny next summer. The worst that can happen is we minority overpay.

ExJbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Anyone else wanna see Steen - Roy - Tarasenko?

If the dude can dish the puck out, why not stick him with our best shooter and one of our best defensive forwards(who also has a nice shot)
I imagine that Steen has to be his LW. Tarasenko would be my preference on RW, but Stewart would work too.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:33 PM
nickbaird757

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I imagine that Steen has to be his LW. Tarasenko would be my preference on RW, but Stewart would work too.
I was thinking Steen-Roy-Stewart. He can be our center who gets Stewart up to 30+ goals. Also, even though it's NHL 13 and not real life, Perron-Berglund-Tarasenko has always been one of my favorite line combos on there, and I'd like to see it for real.

nickbaird757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:41 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/27535

basically... based on this we'd need to trade sobotka for a pick or something... im obvioulsy against taht... but if we pay petro 7 mill and stewart 4 mill then that's what needs to get done to stay under cap... unless of course we shakeup the top 9 like berglund, perron or oshie gettin traded or something

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Blues88

Aside from pure financials (which will get figured out with little pain I'd assume), I don't mind this signing. All we need out of Roy is to be either a more productive fit in the 2C role or to motivate Berglund to turn a corner. We have some options and enough pivots to experiment with different combinations. If we command the circle like we did against LA for an entire season, it would be a huge boost toward creating chances.

If we assume (there abouts):

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Roy-Stewart
Steen-Berglund-Tarasenko

then what will the 4th line look like? I assume they didn't sign Lapierre to move him to wing, though I'm not sure how he is an upgrade over Sobotka who is one of the most versatile "depth" players in the league. I'm also pretty sad for Cracknell/Porter, who, to me, more than proved their worth in the most important moments of the season. It's a bit unnerving to see the CPR line so easily dispersed after being the figurative life blood of this team in the post season. I understand adding Roy bumps Berglund, and therefore Sobotka down, but is our 4th line automatically better with something like Sobotka-Lapierre-Reaves?

I'm not sure about all this, but I'd love to hear some more thoughts......

Blues88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:23 PM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues88 View Post
Aside from pure financials (which will get figured out with little pain I'd assume), I don't mind this signing. All we need out of Roy is to be either a more productive fit in the 2C role or to motivate Berglund to turn a corner. We have some options and enough pivots to experiment with different combinations. If we command the circle like we did against LA for an entire season, it would be a huge boost toward creating chances.

If we assume (there abouts):

Schwartz-Backes-Oshie
Perron-Roy-Stewart
Steen-Berglund-Tarasenko

then what will the 4th line look like? I assume they didn't sign Lapierre to move him to wing, though I'm not sure how he is an upgrade over Sobotka who is one of the most versatile "depth" players in the league. I'm also pretty sad for Cracknell/Porter, who, to me, more than proved their worth in the most important moments of the season. It's a bit unnerving to see the CPR line so easily dispersed after being the figurative life blood of this team in the post season. I understand adding Roy bumps Berglund, and therefore Sobotka down, but is our 4th line automatically better with something like Sobotka-Lapierre-Reaves?

I'm not sure about all this, but I'd love to hear some more thoughts......
well... we have to make a trade to get both petro and stewart back... petro signs for around 6.5 mill to 7 mill and stewart will get atleast 4 mill sadly... that leaves us between 800k over the cap and 1.25 mill over the cap... something must be done or sobotka who makes 1.3 will be gone which would put us under the cap and make our 4thl line porter-lapierre-Reaves/cracknell

STLBLUES44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:32 PM
Spektre

There's no way they sign Stewart & Pie. They're keeping Pie even if it means 7 mil per year. If anyone thinks Stewart will sign for less than 5/yr they're out of their mind.

I see Stewy getting signed for at least 5, and could get closer to 6 with a 5-6 year deal. I don't think he's worth that but that's how I see it shaking out. So I'm banking on extra draft picks next year.

Here's the two options:

Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd

(edit) barring a trade

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:41 PM
Alklha

Talking about Stewart getting closer to $6m is insanity.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:48 PM
BadgersandBlues

Couple of thoughts:

I like this signing. I would have liked Grabo better for -this- year, but there's a great chance that next year there will be a center that's a better fit for us long term then any of the FA not named VL were this year. So in short, this is a stop-gap move. Derek Roy for one year as a stop gap isn't bad, especially since we can package him at the deadline for someone else if we need to.

I'm happy for this move because it finally puts Sobotka where he belongs, on the 4th line. Trust me when I say I love that guy to death, but if our team strategy is to ice 3 "2nd" (or however you want to put it) lines and a 4th line of grinders/bangers, and exploit optimistic match-ups, Vladdy Sobotka was not the guy to anchor that third line. I don't consider Roy the perfect player, but he's clearly an upgrade over Sobotka.

I wonder with this signing if we look to lock up AP for a little less term. Maybe go with a one or two year deal with a 4-5 cap hit to get us past Jay-Bo's huge cap number, as well as the cap going down. Then sign him to his mega Letang-type contract to assure us he's a Blue for life.

I also don't think we're going to trade Stewart or Perron, but I think Halak is easily on his way out of town to the next team that offers us anything decent. I don't see how we get any better by moving Perron (the guy who makes the least of the "Wingers we can move") for someone else.

BadgersandBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:01 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 1152
Why would Stewart get over 4.5, let alone 5?

ManyIdeas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:12 PM
thedustman

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
There's no way they sign Stewart & Pie. They're keeping Pie even if it means 7 mil per year. If anyone thinks Stewart will sign for less than 5/yr they're out of their mind.

I see Stewy getting signed for at least 5, and could get closer to 6 with a 5-6 year deal. I don't think he's worth that but that's how I see it shaking out. So I'm banking on extra draft picks next year.

Here's the two options:

(edit) barring a trade
There is definitely a way they sign stewie and pie. they wont have more than 14 forwards on their nhl roster, and if you do some amateur juggling of the lines on cap geek, you end up with about 11 mil to sign both. A small adjustment could push that to 12, leaving 7 and 5 for pie and stew respectively

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:13 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyIdeas View Post
Why would Stewart get over 4.5, let alone 5?
Why wouldn't he? He a proven 20 goal scorer with size and toughness. Certainly better than Clowe and Clarkson in pretty much every regard, imo.

In the UFA market he would command 6 million easily, though as an RFA I could see him only garnering like 4.5-5.0 per year.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:13 PM
BigB
We Want Big Macs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCTA8ON View Post
Because he was on pace for 42 assists in 82 games
With our scoring abilities... I'd be happy with 42 goals in 82 games from the whole team!

BigB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:27 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post

Here's the two options:

(edit) barring a trade
That is one of the reasons that I hate this trade. It is forcing the team’s hand into a trade that did not have to happen for a player who is likely to be worse than the player we are trading away. Wish they would have had Stewart and Pie locked up before making a move like this. Pie is going to get around 7 per and Stewart at about 5 per. If we have to let Stewart or Perron go for financial reasons all to sign Roy that is horrible management.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:43 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

Maybe Halak and Stewart for Hiller and Holland?

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:47 PM
thedustman

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
That is one of the reasons that I hate this trade. It is forcing the team’s hand into a trade that did not have to happen for a player who is likely to be worse than the player we are trading away. Wish they would have had Stewart and Pie locked up before making a move like this. Pie is going to get around 7 per and Stewart at about 5 per. If we have to let Stewart or Perron go for financial reasons all to sign Roy that is horrible management.
perron and/or stewart aren't going to be "let go". I am adamantly against moving stewart, our leading scorer. But if one of our quality players goes elsewhere, we will be getting something in return.

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:02 PM
Mike Liut

Pie = 7x7
Stewie 5x5

Bye Perron and Halak, Hello Jaskin and Allen

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:06 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Would have rather had the blues move east and acquire Vinney for 5 mil, but I guess I'll just settle for Army being smart and signing a 1 year deal instead of giving stupid money and length to ufas who aren't worth it.

Put me in the "like this move" category. UFA is not the answer people!!!!! Army will make another Jaybo-like trade to address our needs, so have some patience...

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:59 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I don't mind the signing for the mere fact that they finally brought in someone who has the skill set to make others around him better. He also is at least adequate defensively and has a reputation for a having a high hockey IQ. If he can provide what McDonald did pre "I'm terrified to take a hit" than it's a good signing. The Blues offense lost a lot of playmaking when McDonald became a shell of his former self and it's significant that that 2012-13 deficiency was replaced in some manner this offseason. I'm surprised this type of player wasn't addd via trade but Roy was probably the most realistic free agent option.

Now, the domino effects from this signing will be fascinating to watch.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
I love this signing.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:37 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedustman View Post
perron and/or stewart aren't going to be "let go". I am adamantly against moving stewart, our leading scorer. But if one of our quality players goes elsewhere, we will be getting something in return.
They won't be able to afford to take on salary so it will be prospects. That is the issue we signed a player worse than Perron and Stewart and now we may have to give one up for prospects. They should have had Pie and Stewart figured out before making this move.

Also teams are going to know Blues are up against it depending on Pie contract.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote