HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs sign Fournier

Old
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Matteus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Very good signing, again, for what it is. Great size, local kid, very good first day at camp, clearly he had other good days....but it's not only that, they do take into consideration his junior years. Great help for the Dogs and possible callup for the future. Very good signing indeed.

Of course, people, don't put him in your Habs starting lineup for October...not what this signing is all about. But very good news indeed.
And who knows what might happen a couple of years down the road... Mario Roberge was never drafted either and he became a pretty useful guy at some point.

Matteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:39 PM
Pricenyuk
Montreal961

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNM87 View Post

Legendary
Wow, that was awesome. Chills.

Glad we have this guy in our organization.

Pricenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:45 PM
TroyM

Amazing video for sure, such a great hockey moment. Always great to pick up these guys, limited upside and all, when its basically like getting a free draft pick IMO. Their potential is still a bit of a tossup at a young age and all it costs is a contract, love it. Even if he turns into a solid AHLer its a win, I hope he does!

Last edited by TroyM: 07-06-2013 at 07:15 PM.
TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:10 PM
groovejuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Amazing video for sure, such a great hockey moment. Always great to pick up these guys limited upside and all when its basically like getting a free draft pick IMO. Their potential is still a bit of a tossup at a young age and all it costs is a contract, love it. Even if he turns into a solid AHLer its a win, I hope he does!
All jokes about character aside... that was pure character.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:46 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Who plays hockey better, Parros or Fournier?

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:55 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

I like this signing. Fournier has great size at 6-3 212 lbs, and he had a really good season with the Mooseheads. I especially like how well he played in the playoffs, 16 goals in 17 games is very impressive. I hope he sticks with the Bulldogs next year instead of bouncing from the AHL to ECHL.

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:19 PM
Roz

Here's a Mooseheads highlight reel that shows the Gordie Howe hat trick he earned back in January:

Goal is the first highlight shown, assist play starts at about 0:40 (he's the one playing in front of the net and makes the no-look pass at 0:54...watch Drouin congratulate him after the goal), and the fight is at about 1:20.

As an aside, some nice highlights from Stephen MacAulay (#81) and Fucale as well.

Roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:03 PM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
I like this signing. Suggested drafting him late last year and signing him last off season. Solid all around player with size and good character guy. May not amount to anything but a good FA signing, definitely worth a contract.
why not CLARKSON was never drafted so anything could happen in 2-3 years

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Man, Fucale and Fournier. I hope this doesn't mean I have a soft spot for the Habs now . Great signing. This guy puts his heart and soul into everything. It was such a treat to watch him this year.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:11 PM
JackFr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmac40 View Post
Man, Fucale and Fournier. I hope this doesn't mean I have a soft spot for the Habs now . Great signing. This guy puts his heart and soul into everything. It was such a treat to watch him this year.
Another Halifax guy here, I'm so psyched about this signing. Stefan was outstanding last season, and showed as much heart as anyone I've ever seen wear the Mooseheads logo. He's earned this contract.

I was at the game with the fight against Baie-Comeau, and everyone in the arena got chills. He's a legend in Halifax now, a standout on one of the best junior teams of all time. A lot of people are seeing Mac and Jo and immediately assuming that the rest of the team was tagging along with them, but that's absolutely not true. Fucale will be a star, and Fournier will bring heart wherever he ends up.

I also know that Fournier and Fucale are very close, which could play out well in Hamilton in a few years.

JackFr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:26 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

This is the kind of UFA prospect signings we should be making. LOVE it.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:50 PM
TroyM

Yeah hearing reports from the Moosehead fans is getting me even more excited here. I know its mythologized but hey, I love mythology! It's always so exciting. So I'll get into it for a bit here until we see the results I'll just think the best of this kid too, he seems like the guy who deserves to bask in a moment because maybe he won't get another!

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Raimu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One thing though....Halifax....do you not know by now that green numbers on a red sweater doesn't work well?
Its similar to Calgary's red uniforms. They look nice live. Not TV Friendly at all.

But yea I liked Steph Fournier from his first shift in pre-season. He's an ox, it wasn't rare to see him with the puck behind the opposing net with 2 guys hanging off him and he'll still get it out front. Probably won't ever see power play time in the NHL, but he's a real asset there too, tough to move in front of the net and quick enough hands that he can knock in garbage goals.

Raimu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:17 PM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyM View Post
Yeah hearing reports from the Moosehead fans is getting me even more excited here. I know its mythologized but hey, I love mythology! It's always so exciting. So I'll get into it for a bit here until we see the results I'll just think the best of this kid too, he seems like the guy who deserves to bask in a moment because maybe he won't get another!
To throw a bit of cold water on it. ( and I love Stef! )

As I said early, his skating is very average at this point, he also doesn't have great lateral agility when moving with the puck. He's VERY north and south. You won't see him cutting to the middle of the ice often on a rush. His shot is strong, but I wouldn't say tremendously accurate. Kind of makes him sound like a bad hockey player, but he just has limitations right now. His strengths are lengthy as well though.

His board play, and play in front and around the net is elite. He using his body to protect the puck better then most junior age players I've seen. I'd say 90% of his goals were scored within 7-8 feet of the net. Rebounds, tips, bang in's. Not to make it sound like they're garbage goals, because there is an apparent skill to what he is able to do.

I heard him described as "beefy", he's not. He's got very good size, even NHL size as he stands right now. Definitely hits well, and wears guys out down low in both zones. Will definitely fight, anyone, but isn't strictly a fighter by any means. He also definitely has a greasy streak to him. Opposing players likely respect, but hate to play against him, chirps with the best of them.

Just some more thoughts on him.

Cut and Dry Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:40 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Sounds like a less talented version of Kyle Chipchura. All heart and character, not much talent.
Chippy had more upside to his game then what he has actually achieved. Yes a projected 3rd line but a top notch shut down center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
He is tough along the boards , especially behind the net. He sacrifices the body to stand in front of the net to make plays. He skates hard on the offensive and defensive sides of the game. He sticks up for his team mates. He was a very good leader on the Halifax Mooseheads and Co-Captained the team. I will be rooting for him to make it to the big show someone day. He should be a great addition to Hamilton. He's a winner and a great character.
I like it. Know nothing about him and at 6'3, many midget detector will quiet down. Can say that at that size it makes the player more....intreging

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Mrb1p

So happy to hear this news coming back from a tough day at work Stefan is exactly what we need ! That's character right there.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Mr. Hab

Fournier is from Dorval, Que.
(like Jason Demers?).

Good luck to Fournier!!

A Quebecois Kyle Chipchura?
(for the record...I'm still a fan of Chipchura! was supposed to be the next Skrudland/Gainey for us...at least that what I thought!).

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-07-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:41 AM
Out East

Halifax Mooseheads fan and I live in Halifax. All season long I was hoping the Habs would give Fournier a shot. He will not impress in camps that don't involve games and the more intense the game the more he will impress. Think Brandon Prust with more size and more scoring ability. I will be surprised if he does not make the NHL. He will be in Hamilton this season mark my words... Every team needs guys like this. Galchenyuk he is not but Gally would love having him on a wing. He will stand in the crease all day long if asked to.

Out East is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:57 AM
mapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by goallagher View Post
Don't know much about him, but he does have great stats.
Played on a line with Drouin and Mackinnon though.

For those wondering he was our co captain and was the guy who scored on the unbelievable work by Drouin (showed at the draft). An awesome goal. He pushed Drouin ahead of him to celebrate.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Cut and Dry Sports
@TA_Stephenson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post

For those wondering he was our co captain and was the guy who scored on the unbelievable work by Drouin (showed at the draft). An awesome goal. He pushed Drouin ahead of him to celebrate.
At times early in the year, and on power plays. But his regular shifts were taken on our 3rd line with Brent Andrews and Stephen MacAuley once MacAuley was traded to Halifax. When I say 3rd line, don't think a regular 3rd line, these 3 the best "3rd line" in CHL history IMO. They were a 3rd line only because they would often be used in defensive line matching rolls, where the 2nd line (Matt Boudreau, Darcy Ashley and Luca Ciampini) was more of a 2nd scoring line.

My point is, you can't attribute Fourniers great play this year to "oh, he played with Nate and Jo". He earned what he got this year, no question that they helped each other.

Cut and Dry Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:38 AM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out East View Post
Halifax Mooseheads fan and I live in Halifax. All season long I was hoping the Habs would give Fournier a shot. He will not impress in camps that don't involve games and the more intense the game the more he will impress. Think Brandon Prust with more size and more scoring ability. I will be surprised if he does not make the NHL. He will be in Hamilton this season mark my words... Every team needs guys like this. Galchenyuk he is not but Gally would love having him on a wing. He will stand in the crease all day long if asked to.
I love this post. I agree, not everyone is a pure goal scorer and you need guys who do the other things not as sexy to make the goal scorer look good. This is what Habs lack and desperately need- more Turner Stevenson, Asham type players.

TennisMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Mr. Hab

Love the posts by many Halifax fans who followed the Mooseheads.
Great to read all the details on Fournier!!
Thanks!! Cheers!!

p.s.: just one question...sounds like a great signing, but wondering why no team drafted Fournier in the first 5-6 Rounds? (no matter...glad the Habs signed him).

Old
07-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
p.s.: just one question...sounds like a great signing, but wondering why no team drafted Fournier in the first 5-6 Rounds? (no matter...glad the Habs signed him).
Well, he's 21 now. Peter Trainor (age 20), whose production and skill will surely land him in a camp somewhere, is in a similar boat and wasn't someone teams thought they should use a pick on. Fournier was very much under the radar in his first couple of draft-eligible years out in Lewiston, and really rose to prominence in Halifax in the role of "do absolutely anything to make the team, and its star players, as successful as possible". What you saw in the playoffs was what he's capable of when other teams try to zero in on the "biggest threats", and how versatile he is by holding down 3rd line checking duties one shift, then contributing to the powerplay on the next. Got an injury to cover in the top 6? Don't worry, he's dependable enough to fill that role, too. Really, really hoping he's able to get a bit more jump in those feet.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Well, he's 21 now. Peter Trainor (age 20), whose production and skill will surely land him in a camp somewhere, is in a similar boat and wasn't someone teams thought they should use a pick on. Fournier was very much under the radar in his first couple of draft-eligible years out in Lewiston, and really rose to prominence in Halifax in the role of "do absolutely anything to make the team, and its star players, as successful as possible". What you saw in the playoffs was what he's capable of when other teams try to zero in on the "biggest threats", and how versatile he is by holding down 3rd line checking duties one shift, then contributing to the powerplay on the next. Got an injury to cover in the top 6? Don't worry, he's dependable enough to fill that role, too. Really, really hoping he's able to get a bit more jump in those feet.
Great/helpful info...thanks
(I've got to do more research...I thought Fournier was 20....and you're not Draft-eligible after 20 if I'm correct).

One Halifax Moosehead fan poster here recently compared Fournier to a taller Prust....

And...will be great to see Fucale and Fournier reunited with the Bulldogs one day.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 07-07-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old
07-07-2013, 10:33 AM
HABsurde

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post

yeah, and the year before, had almost the same amount of point (1 year younger) playing with Victoriaville..... Where were Drouin and MacKinnon then???

HABsurde is offline   Reply With Quote