HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne remains unsigned

Old
07-06-2013, 06:41 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

vCash: 500
Is Mez healthy yet, and does he need to be healthy in order to be traded?

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Define "healthy"

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:54 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
We can stash a contract in the ahl to begin the year.

A top 7 of

Schenn
kimmo
streit
coburn
gus
grossman
Mez

is pretty nice. Gives us a bit of insurance.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:14 PM
Curufinwe

Which contract? You only get 900K of cap relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I don't think he can pass a physical yet. This says late July.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-06-2...us-ristolainen

You can trade injured players, but I think Mezaros needs to be healthy to return a draft pick unless there's a team desperate to reach the cap floor.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:45 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
In an abrievated season Gagne was a healthy scratch 10 times. Even if you lowball it, that means you have a top 9 forward that his a healthy scratch between 10-20 games? Seems a little excessive for no injuries IMO.
He was a healthy scratch cause he didn't fit the Kings' needs. You know what he brings and if you have a need for that then he won't be a healthy scratch.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Why? He missed no time last season albeit in a a shortened season but his health problems before that were linked to the mass on the back of his neck which has since been removed. Obviously he's getting up there in age so he may miss some time but I wouldn't go into a season expecting him to miss large portions of the season. IMO there's no justification for that.
Just look at his games played. In the last 7 seasons, he's had exactly one where he played more than 65 games. He could miraculously come out and prove me wrong... or he could do exactly what he was in the past, end up on LTIR and stick us with a little extra cap penalty for 2014-2015.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:52 PM
JGalt

Sticking Couturier with one of Laughton/McGinn/Akeson/Talbot for a winger again would be a huge mistake. He needs responsible veteran guys with some offensive abilities for him to expand his game. Gagne is just so ****ing perfectly suited to this role I can't believe we might let him walk.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Going out of our way to clear cap space just so we can bring Gagne back is really unnecessary.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:58 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
Sticking Couturier with one of Laughton/McGinn/Akeson/Talbot for a winger again would be a huge mistake. He needs responsible veteran guys with some offensive abilities for him to expand his game. Gagne is just so ****ing perfectly suited to this role I can't believe we might let him walk.
Laughton or McGinn may be an upgrade over Gagne at this point on the third line. I mean odds are they're going to take Gagne's place when he eventually gets hurt next season anyway.

Old
07-06-2013, 09:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Going out of our way to clear cap space just so we can bring Gagne back is really unnecessary.
Flyers need to clear cap space regardless of who plays 3rd line wing unless they want Pronger on LTIR from the start of the season.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:02 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Flyers need to clear cap space regardless of who plays 3rd line wing unless they want Pronger on LTIR from the start of the season.
I'm aware of that but they should just leave that space open if they don't have any players coming back in a trade. Let Gagne walk.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:04 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Laughton or McGinn may be an upgrade over Gagne at this point on the third line. I mean odds are they're going to take Gagne's place when he eventually gets hurt next season anyway.
McGinn is a 4th liner who can fill in admirably in a pinch on the 3rd line or higher if need be but I don't think it wise for them to go into the season with him on the 3rd line. I would much prefer Laughton or Akeson. Or maybe one of the others guys (Flanagan, Straka etc.) but I haven't seem enough of them to say they could hold down a 3rd line NHL job.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:05 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I'm aware of that but they should just leave that space open if they don't have any players coming back in a trade. Let Gagne walk.
That's fine, I was responding to the "just so we can bring Gagne back" part

Old
07-06-2013, 10:09 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Just look at his games played. In the last 7 seasons, he's had exactly one where he played more than 65 games. He could miraculously come out and prove me wrong... or he could do exactly what he was in the past, end up on LTIR and stick us with a little extra cap penalty for 2014-2015.
I said in my first post that I don't think he'll be as prone to injury cause of the mass removed from his neck so looking at past season when he still had the mass doesn't really hold much weight with me. Regardless I'm not saying the Flyers should bring Gagne back but I'm also not against it. The only thing I don't want to see is Talbot or McGinn on the 3rd line when the team is fully healthy. I think the team has a number of better options some already in the organization.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:16 PM
JGalt

Quote:
McGinn just isn't even close to the type of responsible player Gagne is, and as much as I would enjoy seeing Laughton on the team next year, he would be a rookie playing out of position. Couturier is never going to become the player he hope he does as long as he's stuck babysitting.

As for the injuries, every significant injury Gags has had since 2009 can be directly attributed to the mass he had removed from his neck. He's in better shape than he's been in years. I swear it's like some people in this thread didn't even watch him last year, he was everything you possibly could have asked for when we got him.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:16 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
Can someone shed some light as to why we wouldn't want Pronger on LTIR to start the season? We know he's done, so what's it matter? I've seen some of you guys mention you wouldn't want him there from the start. What's the difference if he goes on the first day or after that? Some kind of penalty I don't know of?

markzab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:21 PM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
Can someone shed some light as to why we wouldn't want Pronger on LTIR to start the season? We know he's done, so what's it matter? I've seen some of you guys mention you wouldn't want him there from the start. What's the difference if he goes on the first day or after that? Some kind of penalty I don't know of?
In theory you if you're under the cap you can build up cap space to use for a late season acquisition. And it occasionally comes into play when you have guys with minor injuries, can screw up your ability to call up players from Adirondack.

Personally, I think it's an overrated concern.

Last edited by JGalt: 07-06-2013 at 10:29 PM.
Old
07-06-2013, 10:26 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab View Post
I don't think it's a penalty really but there are repercussions if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately I'm not really clear as to what they are but I know it could interfere with adding a guy later in the season, say at the trade deadline. Again I'm not exactly sure how. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on the subject can share.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I said in my first post that I don't think he'll be as prone to injury cause of the mass removed from his neck so looking at past season when he still had the mass doesn't really hold much weight with me. Regardless I'm not saying the Flyers should bring Gagne back but I'm also not against it. The only thing I don't want to see is Talbot or McGinn on the 3rd line when the team is fully healthy. I think the team has a number of better options some already in the organization.
Gagne has had an array of injuries affecting more than his neck.

Concussion 2007.
Concussion 2008. (Actually speculated to be 3 concussions in 5 months)
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/s...gne-concussion
He had a double sports hernia 2009.
Groin injury 2009.
A serious concussion in 2010 from striking his head on the ice. Was actually unconscious for this one.
Another concussion in 2011.

There are a lot of scary injuries there, particularly the insane concussion history.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
I don't think it's a penalty really but there are repercussions if I'm not mistaken. Unfortunately I'm not really clear as to what they are but I know it could interfere with adding a guy later in the season, say at the trade deadline. Again I'm not exactly sure how. Hopefully someone with a little more knowledge on the subject can share.
If you look at our capgeek page right now, you'll see a penalty on our current cap that comes from an overage last year. The overage is essentially due to the use of LTIR usage.

Old
07-06-2013, 10:43 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I thought there was an article that came out saying that the concussion symptoms he was having here had to do with the growth in his neck that he did not know he had at the time. I may be wrong but I remember reading something about that

FLYERSFAN18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:54 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalt View Post
That is the truth. You put Gagne and Simmonds with Couturier and his offensive game will come through more and more while also playing against the other teams top line. And Gagne WANTS to play for the Flyers so he should be able to get re-signed on the cheap side.

I wouldn't be against them trading Talbot and letting Laughton/McGinn/Hall fight it out for the two spots on the fourth line.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I thought there was an article that came out saying that the concussion symptoms he was having here had to do with the growth in his neck that he did not know he had at the time. I may be wrong but I remember reading something about that
Here's an article that talks about it:

http://www.simongagne.com/2012/07/17...s-in-the-neck/

Basically, it was originally thought to be a lingering problem from his initial concussion(s), but the doctors recognized it for what it was. No one wanted to do surgery though. Finally in 2012, it was decided that the surgery would likely work to alleviate the chronic pain associated with the mass.

I don't get the impression that this injury was "mistaken" for concussions, especially the one in TB where he was KO'ed by Scott Hannan.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:12 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
That is the truth. You put Gagne and Simmonds with Couturier and his offensive game will come through more and more while also playing against the other teams top line. And Gagne WANTS to play for the Flyers so he should be able to get re-signed on the cheap side.

I wouldn't be against them trading Talbot and letting Laughton/McGinn/Hall fight it out for the two spots on the fourth line.
In my opinion, trading Talbot so we can sign Gagne would be a bad mistake. Talbot is much more valuable to the team. He helps our PK be consistantly excellent. Also, his contract is quite favorable for the next few years.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:31 PM
Tripod

The perfect trade for Philly right now is one that myself and a Habs fan agreed upon:
Mez for Diaz
Mez is bigger and more upside.
Diaz is smaller and healthier.
Diaz is only paid $1.225 this season...then UFA...just like Mez
Philly saves almost 2.8 mill in cap space.
Give 1.1 mill to Gus
Give 1.7 mill to Gagne
Demote Bourdon once cleared to play...needs playing time in AHL anyways
Allow Laughton to FEAST on OHL this year to build confidence...keep his ELC for an extra year...you know we will need it later too!
We should be cap compliant after this
Philly then has their 7 D-men + Gervais. Can use one in a trade later or more likely, to cover for injuries so Gervais doesn't play much at all.
That is what I would do.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote