HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Burns to play forward next season

Old
07-06-2013, 07:00 PM
NWShark*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
When did we start basing Demers & Brauns offensive #'s on faith?? We have seen flashes of their potential and most signs point to both being healthy this year with a good chance of putting up decent #'s, especially if we run 3 scoring lines.
I think Irwins the one who may have the more surprising offensive season. Dudes shot was made to produce points. It now seems obvious that his knee was hurt since he had such a dramatic drop off in putting pucks on net (or at least appeared that way...). I wouldn't be shocked if he got 10 or more goals and 30 points especially if he's paired with Boyle and gets some PP time.

Knowing now that Braun had an injured wrist I would hope he goes back to being at least a threat offensively.

Demers is the wild card. If he finds the game he had a couple years ago and stays healthy he could put up 30 to 40 points assuming he's getting regular ice time and maybe 2nd PP time... or he could get hurt in the 5th game, be in and out for the rest of the season again and end up with 8 points all year....

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:04 PM
NWShark*

Personally I think Burns has the tools to be one of the top Wingers in the conference. If he works on his accuracy and picking corners he could pot 40 goals with the shot he has. Taking a guy who shoots like that and moving him closer to the net means goalies stand almost no chance when he one times the puck.

Old
07-06-2013, 07:12 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsharksfan View Post
Watson is not pleased.

How can anyone be displeased with Burns? He didn't produce statistically but he was a FAR more important and unique player as a forward than as a d-man. Burns as a d-man -we are clearly losing that trade
Actually he scored 17 points in 23 games at evens. That's a rate second only to Crosby. Small sample size, but he def produced.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
I think Irwins the one who may have the more surprising offensive season. Dudes shot was made to produce points. It now seems obvious that his knee was hurt since he had such a dramatic drop off in putting pucks on net (or at least appeared that way...). I wouldn't be shocked if he got 10 or more goals and 30 points especially if he's paired with Boyle and gets some PP time.

Knowing now that Braun had an injured wrist I would hope he goes back to being at least a threat offensively.

Demers is the wild card. If he finds the game he had a couple years ago and stays healthy he could put up 30 to 40 points assuming he's getting regular ice time and maybe 2nd PP time... or he could get hurt in the 5th game, be in and out for the rest of the season again and end up with 8 points all year....

I too like Irwin.Sure he had his rookie bumps but that cannon is lethal and he does get better this season imo.
Agree about Demers. But I would be ok if DW traded/packaged him for a 2/3 winger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Personally I think Burns has the tools to be one of the top Wingers in the conference. If he works on his accuracy and picking corners he could pot 40 goals with the shot he has. Taking a guy who shoots like that and moving him closer to the net means goalies stand almost no chance when he one times the puck.
After watching Burns at Wing early on you almost knew he was meant to play there. After seeing him live, up close at the glass, the guy wreaks havoc all over he ice. Things/plays away from the puck/camera.The beauty is watching him take the outlet pass from the D, skate across center ice,make a move at the blue,keep the puck and fire off a missle. No stupid pull up and wait, no weak dumps in the corner. When he has the puck I get giddy

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:28 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Are there people who actually think Burns didn't produce at an elite level??

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:43 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdock1116 View Post
Actually he scored 17 points in 23 games at evens. That's a rate second only to Crosby. Small sample size, but he def produced.
wow! I guess he played so well I expected even more out of him

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
He didn't produce in the playoffs.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
He only did so well because he and Jumbo are so good together.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:52 PM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveland View Post
No one did (at even strength).

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:53 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
He was strong in the playoffs. but he could have been better.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:53 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
He tied for most among any Shark at even strength, with Marleau I think.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:39 PM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Wow, I feel like a noob saying this, but I had no cle that Burns' ES production was that good, and was second to only Crosby. Awesome. I guess I approve of him at forward.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:09 AM
sharkbite3
Don't Go Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
He only did so well because he and Jumbo are so good together.
So what does it matter if he and Jumbo stay together...?

sharkbite3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Brent Burns
TROTZTROTZTROTZTROTZ

And next season I will be watching next to no Sharks games :/

Brent Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:34 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Apparently...

Old
07-07-2013, 05:39 AM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
No one did (at even strength).
Trade everyone.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:40 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX attack* View Post
He was strong in the playoffs. but he could have been better.
Yeah I don't think so... other than finish the Thornton line which Burns was a huge part of was the most dominant line I watched in any playoff series. They didn't score which you can attribute to quick or bad luck or whatever but when they were on the ice it seemed to me that they spent their entire shift in the offensive zone.

It's been a long time since the sharks had a forward like Burns. It's the reason why many of us don't want him going back to D until they have someone to replace him at forward.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:28 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

More evidence of Dug's great leadership.

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:41 AM
hockeyball

I don't know where that stuff keeps coming from:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tsPerGame&pg=5

He was ranked 136th in PPG in the playoffs, just ahead of Scott Hannen..

He had 4 even strength points per game, in 11 games, that's also .36 PPG (all his points were at event strength). Crosby had 8 points in 14 games, thats .57 ESP per game. Pavelski also had 4 ESP in 11 games (same as Burns) but was second in the league in PPG in the playoffs at 1.09 PPG. David Krejci had 23 ESP in 22 games, which is 1.05 ESP per games.

Burns wasn't even close, he was tied for first on the Sharks, which is .36 ESP ppg, that's pretty pathetic.

Also Burns was tied with 5 players on our team at even strength, Hannen, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and all of them had a higher PPG than he did (double, or more) except Hannen who he was tied with.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:01 AM
FeedingFrenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I don't know where that stuff keeps coming from:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...tsPerGame&pg=5

He was ranked 136th in PPG in the playoffs, just ahead of Scott Hannen..

He had 4 even strength points per game, in 11 games, that's also .36 PPG (all his points were at event strength). Crosby had 8 points in 14 games, thats .57 ESP per game. Pavelski also had 4 ESP in 11 games (same as Burns) but was second in the league in PPG in the playoffs at 1.09 PPG. David Krejci had 23 ESP in 22 games, which is 1.05 ESP per games.

Burns wasn't even close, he was tied for first on the Sharks, which is .36 ESP ppg, that's pretty pathetic.

Also Burns was tied with 5 players on our team at even strength, Hannen, Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, and all of them had a higher PPG than he did (double, or more) except Hannen who he was tied with.
Not really fair to compare Burns/Sharks ppg numbers against other teams in another conf. Sharks swept Van and played a very low scoring affair with LA (Quick in monster mode.. Pittsburgh played run and gun all series's, and the same went for Boston. 2 totally different scenarios..West plays far more defensive.I'll take your comparisons with a grain of salt.

FeedingFrenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:15 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
Not really fair to compare Burns/Sharks ppg numbers against other teams in another conf. Sharks swept Van and played a very low scoring affair with LA (Quick in monster mode.. Pittsburgh played run and gun all series's, and the same went for Boston. 2 totally different scenarios..West plays far more defensive.I'll take your comparisons with a grain of salt.
So...

Tout Burns even strength production, then when someone points out that it wasn't anything worth touting discard them completely. Got it.

Burns was not especially good in the playoffs. Either you use this season as a sample of future production (not good) or you don't and expect next year will be better based purely off wishful thinking. The only data sample we have is small, and points to fairly poor production. Use it or don't, but don't exaggerate what he did do and then when someone points out the falicy discredit them.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:37 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
So...

Tout Burns even strength production, then when someone points out that it wasn't anything worth touting discard them completely. Got it.

Burns was not especially good in the playoffs. Either you use this season as a sample of future production (not good) or you don't and expect next year will be better based purely off wishful thinking. The only data sample we have is small, and points to fairly poor production. Use it or don't, but don't exaggerate what he did do and then when someone points out the falicy discredit them.
I'm sure an 11 game sample size in which the Sharks played 7 games again Jonathan Quick in beastmode are more important than the 23 games in the regular season.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:48 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
I'm sure an 11 game sample size in which the Sharks played 7 games again Jonathan Quick in beastmode are more important than the 23 games in the regular season.
Neither is particularly important, but you guys were using a bunch of completely cherry picked or flat out wrong information to try and inflate his performance. That was what I was pointing out.

Do I think Burns will be a .36 even strength ppg player long term? No, I don't, but that doesn't mean you can just make stuff up either.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:51 AM
Arrch

Quote:
So...
Burns was not especially good in the playoffs.
He had better P/60 than Couture, and was only a tick below Thornton. Couture racked up points on the Power Play while playing with Boyle, Marleau, Thornton and Pavs. Burns got stuck with Gomez, Galiardi, Torres, and Irwin and played a full 2 minutes less per game.

Corsi shows that Thornton and Burns dominated possession. The problem is that they had no finisher on their line so that offensive zone time didn't translate into points (Burns was playing F1, not F3. Yes Burns has a great shot, but he doesn't read off Jumbo, Jumbo reads off him). Give Thornton/Burns a finisher and that will be a very good top line.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
He had better P/60 than Couture, and was only a tick below Thornton. Couture racked up points on the Power Play while playing with Boyle, Marleau, Thornton and Pavs. Burns got stuck with Gomez, Galiardi, Torres, and Irwin and played a full 2 minutes less per game.

Corsi shows that Thornton and Burns dominated possession. The problem is that they had no finisher on their line so that offensive zone time didn't translate into points (Burns was playing F1, not F3. Yes Burns has a great shot, but he doesn't read off Jumbo, Jumbo reads off him). Give Thornton/Burns a finisher and that will be a very good top line.
Again, I'm not arguing that, I was just pointing out that several comments here were flat out wrong or extremely disingenuous. Saying Burns was first on the team even strength, while accurate, is lacking context. Saying Burns was nearly as good as Crosby is completely false.