HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Leafs Payroll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2004, 07:26 AM
  #1
Steve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Can
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Leafs Payroll

I'm curious to know how the leafs insurance works. I assume they pay out the butt for insurance plans on these types of salaries, but maybe the hardcore fans will know this. Would the list below be accurate or are there deductables etc... that apply here.

This is a very rough stat but here goes. The Leafs have played a total of 43 games so far this year. Only Tucker, Marchment, Klee and Domi have played in every one. Lets look at them person by person. I'm only using the regulars here.

Name GP Payroll IR Leafs Save
13 Mats Sundin 42 $9M 1 $109,756
11 Owen Nolan 38 $6.5M 5 $396,341
7 Gary Roberts 41 $4.25M 2 $103,658
25 Joe Nieuwendyk 31 $2M 12 $292,682
20 Ed Belfour 34 $7M 5 $426,829
22 Ken Klee 43 $1.5M 0 $0
24 Bryan McCabe 36 $3.5M 7 $298,780
16 Darcy Tucker 43 $1.6M 0 $0
21 Robert Reichel 36 $3.25 7 $277,439
19 Mikael Renberg 32 $2.2M 11 $295,121
14 Matt Stajan 40 $.950M 3 $34,756
15 Tomas Kaberle 37 $2.75M 6 $201,219
89 Alexander Mogilny 15 $5.5M 28 $1,878,048
28 Tie Domi 43 $2M 0 $0
12 Tom Fitzgerald 41 $.9M 2 $21,951
80 Nik Antropov 23 $.925M 20 $225,609
8 Aki Berg 40 $1.4M 3 $51,219
27 Bryan Marchment 43 $2M 0 $0

Total Saved $4,350,008

This is just so far this year, after the 43 games, Nolan will still be out, Mogilny for another month-ish, Reichel for 4-6 weeks, Kaberle 4 weeks, Antropov (we all know he'll be injured again) Realisitcally, the leafs are looking to save about $8M this year due to injuries. Now, do you think they could take this money and put it towards even 1 player? I doubt it too. This was more for me than anyone else, but I wanted to see how this looked so I'm posting it.

These numbers were all taken from the NHLPA website.
Does anyone know if the leafs really save this money up front or if they're paying part of the injured salaries for if their insurance just covers it all.

Thanks

Steve is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 07:28 AM
  #2
Steve
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Guelph, Ontario, Can
Posts: 1,189
vCash: 500
Ps

Bill Waters said the Leafs payroll is no where near the $64 million they quoted, he suggested about $56M.

Steve is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 08:52 AM
  #3
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve
Bill Waters said the Leafs payroll is no where near the $64 million they quoted, he suggested about $56M.
When you are speaking of insurance in the first post .... I heard a few days ago that teams just insure the top 5 or 6 contracts and take the risk on the rest... It was on the NHL on THE FLY and former NY Ranger Neil Smith said it ....so he would know.... and he was answering a question about how a injury to a top player does not hurt the team financially but with an injury to a someone else the team not only has to continue to pay the injured players salary without insurance money they also have to call someone up and pay the NHL rate for that player so in affect its a double whammy in those cases...

Mess is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 09:01 AM
  #4
Shawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under Your Skin
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
When you are speaking of insurance in the first post .... I heard a few days ago that teams just insure the top 5 or 6 contracts and take the risk on the rest... It was on the NHL on THE FLY and former NY Ranger Neil Smith said it ....so he would know.... and he was answering a question about how a injury to a top player does not hurt the team financially but with an injury to a someone else the team not only has to continue to pay the injured players salary without insurance money they also have to call someone up and pay the NHL rate for that player so in affect its a double whammy in those cases...
The way people are getting hurt this day and age it would make more sense to pay insurance on everyone and not get dinged when half your team is hurt.

Shawn is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 09:28 AM
  #5
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
The way people are getting hurt this day and age it would make more sense to pay insurance on everyone and not get dinged when half your team is hurt.
You clearly do not understand how INSURANCE works and the costs involved that an NHL team would face in additional payroll cost if they did as you suggested...

Not is only the cost of the insurance policy itself but the DEDUCTIBLE should the team have to pay out in order to claim the insurance... and with all the CONTRACTS in the MILLIONS... the cost would be ridiculous and playing the odds of not having a player injured and not having to file a claim would be much greater...

It works the same as your Car or House insurance does and everytime you file a claim you face the possiblity that your policies will increase in the future....

Mess is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 09:35 AM
  #6
Shawn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under Your Skin
Posts: 672
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
You clearly do not understand how INSURANCE works and the costs involved that an NHL team would face in additional payroll cost if they did as you suggested...

Not is only the cost of the insurance policy itself but the DEDUCTIBLE should the team have to pay out in order to claim the insurance... and with all the CONTRACTS in the MILLIONS... the cost would be ridiculous and playing the odds of not having a player injured and not having to file a claim would be much greater...

It works the same as your Car or House insurance does and everytime you file a claim you face the possiblity that your policies will increase in the future....

Anything else you want to nit pic about. Seems I can't post a thought here without getting jumped on. I was just trying to make a point about how everyone is always getting hurt. You should have seen that. I guess I should have been more clear when I posted, people can't read minds eh?

Oh and hey. I am not a child nor a moron I understand how INSURANCE and DETUCTABLES work.

Shawn is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 10:05 AM
  #7
Dar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Northern Ireland
Posts: 4,812
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Dar
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember hearing, insurance payouts don't occur unless a player is sidelined for X amount of games. If players only miss 2-3 games for example the team's still responsible for the pay.

Am I right? Those in the know. Don't feel like doing a search to confirm.
Normally I would, but it's Friday, and I'm lazy.

Dar is offline  
Old
01-09-2004, 11:16 AM
  #8
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember hearing, insurance payouts don't occur unless a player is sidelined for X amount of games. If players only miss 2-3 games for example the team's still responsible for the pay.

Am I right? Those in the know. Don't feel like doing a search to confirm.
Normally I would, but it's Friday, and I'm lazy.
I think you are right in a way ...

It does have to do with numbers of games out before a policy kicks in, as its a physical sport and players are always going to get hurt and miss a few games... The insurance is really to protect a team against something like the Pavel Bure situation where he is missing huge portions of seasons making 10 million per... that the Rangers are not on the hook for...

also with a deductible just like with any other policy, you would not file a claim if the cost was less than the deductible ... and for simple examples lets say the Salary is 1 million and the deductible 10% or 100 thousand... but if you divide Salary by games played the player would have to miss a good number of games before the total salary would reach the 100 thousand deductible... Just fictitious numbers but you get the point...

also I am sure that the type of injury is also relevant and that a player that misses games with an illness say like Pilar did may not even fit the INJURY INSURANCE coverage... it must be on a case by case basis ..with someone needing to determine the fine lines of the contract..

Mess is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.