HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Part IX: Free Agency Signing Period Discussion and Rumors

Old
07-06-2013, 08:25 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Signing Roy and losing Pietrangelo would be reasonable justification for a riot.
Agree. Derek Roy is so soft lol.

He's a lesser skilled Dany Briere. Except he doesn't go in the scoring areas around the net like Danny.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
To be honest as a Blues fan the Roy signing pisses me off. You get Pietrangelo and Stewart both signed first.

Armstrong annoys the hell out of me at times by trying to save every penny it seems in negotiations. Yet he gave Roy 4 million dollars who I personally am not a fan of.

The Blues wont move Pietrangelo. Can you really imagine the fan backlash is you are forced to trade Pietrangelo because you signed Derrick freaking Roy. Do you know how much that would hurt ticket sales ect.

Pietrangelo will be signed it's Armstrong being Armstrong and the agent being an agent.
As an outsider looking at your team it is certainly a head scratcher. Why do you go out and sign Roy when you have your own pending RFA's who IMO should rank higher on the priority list. To me all it says to me is that want to keep Pietrangelo, but if somebody is willing to fork over a deal that makes the team better now and in the future they would seriously consider it. There is a reason they haven't signed him yet and IMO that reason is that they will seriously consider moving him. On the other side there is a reason why teams don't let big name players get to RFA status, its because they really want to keep those players.

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Jtown

I know pieterangelo is a stud now but we would be buying sky high.

Id rather buy low on a guy with potential particularly Tyler myers , bogosian or even eric johnson.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
But seriously...I'm right.

If I'm wrong, I'll be back to say so. Edit: And to join your fan base because it'd be a joke if we let Pietrangelo walk for low 1st round picks.
Out of curiosity, do the Blues have an internal cap? A friend of mine who is a Blues fan has said the Blues ownership has been cheap in the past. But it seems like the team is preparing to spend right up to the max this year.

As for the topic at hand, I agree with you. I doubt an offersheet happens. I think the only reason it "worked" with Weber was because he wanted to get paid before the new CBA kicked in. At the end of the day I don't think he cared who it was that signed his pay check.

A trade is a little more likely. The Flyers have the pieces if they need. But my money is on that he is staying in St. Louis for a long time.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:54 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
As an outsider looking at your team it is certainly a head scratcher. Why do you go out and sign Roy when you have your own pending RFA's who IMO should rank higher on the priority list. To me all it says to me is that want to keep Pietrangelo, but if somebody is willing to fork over a deal that makes the team better now and in the future they would seriously consider it. There is a reason they haven't signed him yet and IMO that reason is that they will seriously consider moving him. On the other side there is a reason why teams don't let big name players get to RFA status, its because they really want to keep those players.
The thing is the only need the blues have is a number one center. Look at the roster that is the only hole.

So if there is not a true number one center coming back it makes no sense at all.

Its more or else your hope that he's available is clouding logic and reasonable thinking.

The blues have 3 2nd liine quality centers 9 top 6 wingers 3 4th line centers.

Trading pietrangelo for a package makes no sense in reality.

HooliganX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:23 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
The thing is the only need the blues have is a number one center. Look at the roster that is the only hole.

So if there is not a true number one center coming back it makes no sense at all.

Its more or else your hope that he's available is clouding logic and reasonable thinking.

The blues have 3 2nd liine quality centers 9 top 6 wingers 3 4th line centers.

Trading pietrangelo for a package makes no sense in reality.
You're getting a little ahead of yourself with that offense. I see a lot of really nice pieces, but there's no offensive catalyst in that group. You may technically have nine top six wingers, but they should all be considered complimentary pieces. None of those guys are going to be "the guy" to work a line. The only exception may be Terasenko, but we won't know about that until he develops a little more.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:13 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Any chance Homer signs FA D Colten Teubert?

http://kings.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474575

He's a former 1st round pick. Had a rough time in Edmonton but may get it together here.

Offer him a 2-way deal and let him play top minutes with the Phantoms.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:23 AM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post

He's a former 1st round pick. Had a rough time in Edmonton but may get it together here.

I hope he does. Tuebert was fantastic in the world juniors when he played. Its certainly worth the risk.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:00 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:

I love signing like this. Low risk high reward. Well worth it.

Someone mentioned Erik Johnson. I wonder what the price would be there. I wouldn't wanna buy high but if other options close it may be a worthy option. I've always liked him

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:17 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
I love signing like this. Low risk high reward. Well worth it.

Someone mentioned Erik Johnson. I wonder what the price would be there. I wouldn't wanna buy high but if other options close it may be a worthy option. I've always liked him
Exactly, that's what I thought too.

Would love to see E.Johnson in Orange and Black.

Despite the Pietrangelo rumours I strongly believe Homer will make a push for Bogosian. Guy didn't break out yet but has all the tools to do so and won't be as pricey as Pietrangelo.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:18 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
I hope he does. Tuebert was fantastic in the world juniors when he played. Its certainly worth the risk.
Fingers crossed.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:32 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Exactly, that's what I thought too.

Would love to see E.Johnson in Orange and Black.

Despite the Pietrangelo rumours I strongly believe Homer will make a push for Bogosian. Guy didn't break out yet but has all the tools to do so and won't be as pricey as Pietrangelo.
I also don't think Johnson/Bogo would cost what piertangelo would. Think Read and Coburn would be a good start for either one?

Old
07-07-2013, 05:43 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
I also don't think Johnson/Bogo would cost what piertangelo would. Think Read and Coburn would be a good start for either one?
Yeah probably but none of the teams would accept it.

I believe it's Coburn + one of our young centers (Schenn/Couts) what teams would ask for. For you and me it's overpayment, for them it's what needs to be offered to move them.

Now if we could agree on Coburn + Laughton, I'd be all over it.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:50 AM
TheDrizzle81

Quote:
Yeah probably but none of the teams would accept it.

I believe it's Coburn + one of our young centers (Schenn/Couts) what teams would ask for. For you and me it's overpayment, for them it's what needs to be offered to move them.

Now if we could agree on Coburn + Laughton, I'd be all over it.
I'd do Coburn and Laughton for Johnson or Bogo. Low risk high reward. Although I don't think it solves our salary cap issue. (Unsure what Johnson is being paid or what Bogo will be paid).

Old
07-07-2013, 08:07 AM
mja
Negative Creep

You want Bogosian?

You have to include either Schenn or Couturier. Laughton & Coburn don't get it done.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:25 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
You want Bogosian?

You have to include either Schenn or Couturier. Laughton & Coburn don't get it done.
We shall see. Could offer sheet him for a little more than 2 firsts...unlikely to find a schenn or couts with either. Read couburn prospect and a first should be more than enough

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:29 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
I'd do Coburn and Laughton for Johnson or Bogo. Low risk high reward. Although I don't think it solves our salary cap issue. (Unsure what Johnson is being paid or what Bogo will be paid).
It would sort the cap out for us (with Johnson and I'd assume Bogosian as he's probably not earned a massive pay deal yet). Both players are good but performing bellow what expectations were when they were drafted I think so the going rate wouldn't be quite so heavy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
You want Bogosian?

I don't think you'd have to include Schenn or Couturier. They've been in the league for 2 years and have a sophomore slump season on a team that wasn't great, Bogosian has been in the NHL for 5 season and probably hasn't lived up to the hype. You'd probably have to sweeten the deal but I don't think you have to give up any of our prized assets.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:35 AM
TheKingPin

Bogosian never above 30 pts and always always a neg player. He has potential but he doesn't get our two young guys get you a guy with the same potential pt total plus a top 6 plus a first

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Psuhockey

Unless they can get Bogoasian cheap, he isn't worth it. He has been injury prone and will be a UFA after two seasons anyway. I think the Flyers should look to see if Tyler Myers is available. He strikes me as a guy, like Luke Schenn was, who just needs to go to a new team to flourish. He would also get easier minutes here in Philly while L.Schenn goes against the top forwards on the right side.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux It View Post
I guess what I don't understand is that if Pietrangelo was SO important that the Blues wouldn't consider moving him in the slightest bit, why would you allow him to even reach RFA status?
The answer is quite simple: We don't have monopoly money to throw around at every player like some teams do.

Did you ask this question to Nashville fans last summer when Shea Weber hit free agency? Did you ask it again when Nashville matched your mega-offer?

The situation doesn't suggest anything about Pietrangelo's value to the Blues. It suggests that the Blues, like Nashville, have a budget and want to/have to sign guys to reasonable contracts. It may backfire like it did with Nashville. However, the new CBA has made offer sheeting Petro a little more difficult.

IF it backfires on the Blues, they will match and move Shattenkirk, Perron, or Stewart to create space. Heck, that seems likely anyways. It will be similar to you guys getting Pietrangelo and having to move Coburn. You clear out the lesser players to make room for the superstars.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:02 AM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
The answer is quite simple: We don't have monopoly money to throw around at every player like some teams do.

Did you ask this question to Nashville fans last summer when Shea Weber hit free agency? Did you ask it again when Nashville matched your mega-offer?

The situation doesn't suggest anything about Pietrangelo's value to the Blues. It suggests that the Blues, like Nashville, have a budget and want to/have to sign guys to reasonable contracts. It may backfire like it did with Nashville. However, the new CBA has made offer sheeting Petro a little more difficult.

IF it backfires on the Blues, they will match and move Shattenkirk, Perron, or Stewart to create space. Heck, that seems likely anyways. It will be similar to you guys getting Pietrangelo and having to move Coburn. You clear out the lesser players to make room for the superstars.
So then we could move for Shattenkirk

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:30 AM
Prongo
Beer

Ottawa Senators could be a trade destination for Coburn as well. They have four defenseman under contract next year with Wiercioch and Cowen as RFA's. They might want more experience with that lineup because of the success they built last year.

I would like a defense like

Kimmo-Schenn
Streit-Weircioch
Gus-Grossmann.

Also I don't get why Winnipeg think Kane would get more than Ryan. Seems strange because Ryan is much more proven, top him in points, 30+ goals 4 years in a row, also has a better contract. Only thing Kane has is age. Saying this, I wouldn't mind Kane on the Flyers lol. Would be deadly next to Giroux.

Last edited by Prongo: 07-07-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Curufinwe

Is Weirioch strong enough defensively to cover for Streit?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Is Weirioch strong enough defensively to cover for Streit?
Yea, I don't think so. This is where it would be tough to get him. Cowen would be much better, but not an option most likely. He needs a player like Grossmann, Schenn, or even Kimmo to back him. Weircioch is a offensive defender at 6'5 though, god I would love to get him.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFlyer View Post
So then we could move for Shattenkirk
He definitely might be available for Brayden Schenn or Couturier.

I think Armstrong loves his defense, though. He has built the team around it. Our wins/losses will be in 2-1 and 3-2 fashion. I'd bet the last thing he wants to do is remove a valuable piece from his D corps that could be top 3 in the NHL.

I'd say Perron is the most likely player headed out the door if we make a big move. It is either him or Stewart and Stewart is an Army acquisition. Plus he is a goal scorer.

I will add that while Shattenkirk is a talented player and could be of great importance to a team, his value to the Blues dropped a lot after we got Bouwmeester. He was a 3rd pairing d-man playing 17-19 minutes a night after that. His offensive numbers also dropped dramatically but the whole team wasn't scoring so don't read much into it.

With that said, I think on most teams he is a 2nd pairing d-man that puts up 40-50 points. Having Shattenkirk on our 3rd pairing is just a testament to the Blues having a top 3 defense in the NHL. He doesn't play good enough defense to be considered a top pairing guy, though. You don't want him facing Crosby, Kopitar, Datsyuk, the Sedins very often. Then again he is only 24 years old. He could and probably will get better.

You guys mentioned Erik Johnson earlier...having had both in a Blues uniform, I take Shattenkirk 8 days a week.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote