HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The sad reality

Old
07-05-2013, 06:03 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
The sad reality is that the Blues are spending like a Cap team now (if you assume Pietro/Stewart deals, which I do). Does that not excite anyone? The new ownership group sent a clear signal when they approved the trade for Bouwmeester, and moves since then continue to point to the team spending close to the Cap.

You can argue about HOW to spend the money, what deals to make, etc. But I for one am pretty pumped that the Blues are into their window as a competitor with a supportive ownership group, rising young players, a coach with a Cup win on his resume and a Jack Adams award recently, and a GM who has shown his chops and his intelligence over the past couple years.

No bad salaries on the club. NONE. You can argue Halak is overpaid, but he's also signed for one more year on a fairly reasonable salary if you look around the league at what his peers are getting. And if he turns around and plays at a .910 save percentage this year and starts 55 games, I think that's not an unreasonable contract at all.
My only problem is that teams haven't been winning championships the way the Blues are built...They still don't have a forward group that can compete with the big boys.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:15 PM
GrandPapillon

vCash: 500
I was wrong with my criticism of the front office. Lapierre and Roy give the Blues exactly what I wanted them to have. Eating crow isn't bad when it means there is more hope than initially thought.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:16 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
I can respect you saying that.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:28 PM
GrandPapillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
I can respect you saying that.
Thank you, and I respect the other posters here even when we disagree. I don't want anyone to think that I am here to be the "sky is falling" party pooper guy or trying to rile people up. I just pretty much state my honest feelings, right or wrong. Right now, I can't believe that the Blues went out and landed a free agent for next season that should have an immediate impact. I have no idea if the Blues have the money to keep everyone now, but there is reason to be excited about the forward and defensive groups.

GrandPapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Crumblin Erb Brooks

Is this year our best chance to win it? Jbo, Steen, Roy, Sobotka Halak, Elliott are all UFAs after this season;Schwartz will be a RFA. It's certainly gonna be tough to bring back the same group next year.

I also don't rule out us making a 2 for 1 trade with our forwards. All our depth remains on the wings with Jaskin and Rattie coming up.

Crumblin Erb Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Harley83

I don't think there is such thing as a fairweather fan posting in July especially for the Blues. Honestly sometimes it seems a user will end up getting crucified if he steps away from the popular opinions of the regular dozen. I remember saying all season how I thought Halak didn't want to play in St. Louis and that he was just faking injuries and everybody thought I was off my rocker and jumping to conclusions on that one.. Also this time last year everybody wanted to dish Jackman while I was of the very few that wanted to keep him, now everybody is back to praising him again.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:18 PM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumblin Erb Brooks View Post
Is this year our best chance to win it? Jbo, Steen, Roy, Sobotka Halak, Elliott are all UFAs after this season;Schwartz will be a RFA. It's certainly gonna be tough to bring back the same group next year.

I also don't rule out us making a 2 for 1 trade with our forwards. All our depth remains on the wings with Jaskin and Rattie coming up.
It'll be a good chance... doesn't mean it'll be the BEST chance. Sure it'll be tough to bring back the same group, but the core guys will still be around - Pietrangelo, Shattenkrik, Backes, Oshie, Tarasenko, Schwartz. Schwartz has already earned more ice time, Tarasenko should too. If they re-sign Steen and Bouwmeester, or maybe sign Stastny and Bouwmeester or something like that, they could make things work with the rest of the roster and be even better than this season.

Bump up Schwartz and Tarasnenko's minutes, maybe get rid of one of Perron/Stewart, or maybe Polak. Get Jaskin/Rattie/Cole in the lineup. Allen as #1 goalie would free up a lot of salary and could potentially perform similarly to what we have now, although we'd probably need to find someone else for insurance too.

Our "best" chance will really depend on how good Schwartz/Tarasenko/Jaskin really are. If Tarasenko is going to be a superstar, our best chance will be when we have him and Pietrangelo together before Tarasenko signs his first expensive long term deal.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 09:35 PM
Harley83

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
It'll be a good chance... doesn't mean it'll be the BEST chance. Sure it'll be tough to bring back the same group, but the core guys will still be around - Pietrangelo, Shattenkrik, Backes, Oshie, Tarasenko, Schwartz. Schwartz has already earned more ice time, Tarasenko should too. If they re-sign Steen and Bouwmeester, or maybe sign Stastny and Bouwmeester or something like that, they could make things work with the rest of the roster and be even better than this season.
Boumeester is a key to success. He makes up for his lack of physical play by shutting down the opposition with his skating ability and angles plus he moves the puck really well too. Let's hope they can keep Petro as his partner, having a good linemate is the key to keeping him around in my opinion.

Harley83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
From what I've heard, Bouw was very happy with us at the end of the year. Should this year go anything like we expect it to, I'm pretty confident that he'll resign. Steen and Sobotka I expect to be resigned, and I think we could definitely afford to lose the other guys mentioned. Looking to the future, I'm very excited to see what Rattie will do for us.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:17 PM
stlblues9

The only team in the division that St. Louis has to worry about right now is Chicago although in a couple of years I can see Dallas and Colorado being very good. Nashville will start coming on again soon as well. Maybe this is a good opportunity for St. Louis to get to the finals. Chicago will be coming off of a cup hangover, they've lost Bolland and Frolik, while not extremely important pieces, they are reliable. They have to replace them with lesser players and Chicago has a tendency to get arrogant after winning.

Hopefully the teams from the other division completely beat eachother up in their series' and we're left with a softer opponent in the conference finals.

Not to mention St. Louis had a down year last year and is looking to prove something after a first round exit.

Blues for 2014 Stanley Cup!

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:38 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPapillon View Post
Thank you, and I respect the other posters here even when we disagree. I don't want anyone to think that I am here to be the "sky is falling" party pooper guy or trying to rile people up. I just pretty much state my honest feelings, right or wrong. Right now, I can't believe that the Blues went out and landed a free agent for next season that should have an immediate impact. I have no idea if the Blues have the money to keep everyone now, but there is reason to be excited about the forward and defensive groups.
Even though I thought this thread was premature chicken little-ish, I don't really blame you. I think we all can get frustrated a lot with this team. I mean they've been around since 1967 and just go through the same thing every year, who WOULDN'T be upset sometimes? I think you have a lot of passion for the team which is good.

I totally hear you. It did suck hearing us talking about missing out once again yesterday. I'm tired of hearing that. But like Armstrong has shown, patience can be key. He's shown that with this Roy signing, the Bouwmeester trade, the Johnson trade, etc. We all just need to try to remember that.

The Blues have improved their team this offseason. Roy and Lapierre >> McDonald and Nichol. Not to mention all the other internal things that should improve us (development of Schwartz and Frank, full training camp, more time for defense to form chemistry, etc.)

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
The Blues have the best top 6 defensemen in their history. They will get a traing camp together will be playing a full season with a regular schedule.m
Wrong 1991 Scott Stevens by himself is better than this defense.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:51 AM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
The only team in the division that St. Louis has to worry about right now is Chicago although in a couple of years I can see Dallas and Colorado being very good. Nashville will start coming on again soon as well. Maybe this is a good opportunity for St. Louis to get to the finals. Chicago will be coming off of a cup hangover, they've lost Bolland and Frolik, while not extremely important pieces, they are reliable. They have to replace them with lesser players and Chicago has a tendency to get arrogant after winning.

Hopefully the teams from the other division completely beat eachother up in their series' and we're left with a softer opponent in the conference finals.

Not to mention St. Louis had a down year last year and is looking to prove something after a first round exit.

Blues for 2014 Stanley Cup!
Columbus will win a Cup before the Blues will

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
Wrong 1991 Scott Stevens by himself is better than this defense.
Quote:
Boy have we missed your optimism around here.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:15 AM
stlblues9

Quote:
lol good luck with that.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote