HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oiler Sign Andrew Ference - 4 years, $3.25M per

View Poll Results: Do you like this signing
Yes 265 91.07%
No 26 8.93%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-06-2013, 10:57 AM
DisgruntledGoat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPolice View Post
I really like this signing. Not sure if it's been mentioned, but Ference averaged the 3rd most ice time of all Bruins this past playoffs (24:31 per game), behind only Chara and Seidenberg. If he's a legit top 4 D for the Bruins, pretty safe to say he will be for the Oil.
It doesn't always work that way, though. Having a Chara in the lineup allows you to give other guys more structured roles, allows them to play with less pressure, and a result they end up being generally more effective.

We saw the same thing here when Pronger was around. Did Smith, Spacek or Bergeron ever play better than they did in 2006? Thank Pronger's puck skills (Smith), and ability to soak up tough minutes (Spacek, Bergeron) for that.

I'm a fan of this signing, but I am a little worried that, in the absence of a 30-minute monster, Ference is going to be asked to do too much and ends up struggling.

God knows this franchise has not been good at putting players in positions to succeed over the last decade-and-a-half.

I'm still hoping we get Coburn. Obviously he's not Pronger or Chara, but I think the addition of him AND Ference would give Eakins a lot of options to distribute the tough minutes between four guys who can handle them (N.Schultz too, to a lesser degree).

Petry-Smid
Coburn-Ference
Schultz-Schultz

I think that's a D that could get you into the eighth spot.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:24 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
It doesn't always work that way, though. Having a Chara in the lineup allows you to give other guys more structured roles, allows them to play with less pressure, and a result they end up being generally more effective.

We saw the same thing here when Pronger was around. Did Smith, Spacek or Bergeron ever play better than they did in 2006? Thank Pronger's puck skills (Smith), and ability to soak up tough minutes (Spacek, Bergeron) for that.

I'm a fan of this signing, but I am a little worried that, in the absence of a 30-minute monster, Ference is going to be asked to do too much and ends up struggling.

God knows this franchise has not been good at putting players in positions to succeed over the last decade-and-a-half.

I'm still hoping we get Coburn. Obviously he's not Pronger or Chara, but I think the addition of him AND Ference would give Eakins a lot of options to distribute the tough minutes between four guys who can handle them (N.Schultz too, to a lesser degree).

Petry-Smid
Coburn-Ference
Schultz-Schultz

Excellent post.

Of course the most obvious problem here for Ference is we don't have anything close to Chara and we don't have a bonafide first pairing or shutdown pair so theres always going to be temptation to utilize Ference beyond his accustomed means. Ference has always looked down the bench and had better D than him that shouldered the worst of the load.
Additionally a lot is said about where Ference has fit in past clubs. In Boston, even though he could be 3rd, 4th in minutes at times having a guy like Chara in the lineup is almost like having two D in the ranks ahead of you. A guy that plays first and second pairing a lot of the time. This is what Pronger gave us as well.

People should reflect always on how much better ordinary mortal D looked in the presence of greatness. Bergeron never looked better. Several of our D never looked better. None of these people never again found the success they had with Pronger.

The Ference one see's in Boston is not the Ference we will see here. He won't look steady, he'll make mistakes, get out of plays, struggle, GA will increase. But he will be physical, will bring an edge, and it will be a benefit in that way. This is not a steady D, and won't be a shutdown guy here. I would be very surprised if he's able to ramp that up and if he somehow does it would be the best acquisition of the summer.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:44 AM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Excellent post.

Of course the most obvious problem here for Ference is we don't have anything close to Chara and we don't have a bonafide first pairing or shutdown pair so theres always going to be temptation to utilize Ference beyond his accustomed means. Ference has always looked down the bench and had better D than him that shouldered the worst of the load.
Additionally a lot is said about where Ference has fit in past clubs. In Boston, even though he could be 3rd, 4th in minutes at times having a guy like Chara in the lineup is almost like having two D in the ranks ahead of you. A guy that plays first and second pairing a lot of the time. This is what Pronger gave us as well.

People should reflect always on how much better ordinary mortal D looked in the presence of greatness. Bergeron never looked better. Several of our D never looked better. None of these people never again found the success they had with Pronger.

The Ference one see's in Boston is not the Ference we will see here. He won't look steady, he'll make mistakes, get out of plays, struggle, GA will increase. But he will be physical, will bring an edge, and it will be a benefit in that way. This is not a steady D, and won't be a shutdown guy here. I would be very surprised if he's able to ramp that up and if he somehow does it would be the best acquisition of the summer.
That's why I'm still hoping for Coburn.

Again; not Pronger or Chara, but I think you then have a fairly balanced blueline with five guys who can, to varying degrees, shoulder a bit of the heavy-lifting.

To go back to the 2006 well again; it would be a similar set up to the Hurricanes who rolled with Hedican/Wesley/Commodore/Kaberle/Ward/Etc.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:06 PM
thinlizzy

AF brings things intangibles to the team. He is going to bring experience, leadership , grit and more of a compete level that our team hasn't had in a long, long time. AF's body is his temple and will push the Mcdonald's drive through youngsters in training camp to be more dedicated to the craft.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Enough with the Pronger discussion. Has nothing to do with the thread.

07-06-2013, 12:27 PM
nye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeshta View Post
It's literally demonstrably true in this year's FA period with Horton wanting to move from a rabid hockey town to Columbus (a "non-traditional" market). The difference between our theoretically inhospitable environment and Boston's, or Montreal's, though, is that the Oilers have been a hysterically bad hockey franchise for a very long time, and the people that have made it a bad franchise are still in charge. So yeah, the Oilers will have to overpay for free agents, absolutely. It's a bonus if it's a guy like Ference, too, who wants to play in the atmosphere.

I would think this is the crux of it. The kind of players we would want for the Oilers are the kind of players who want to go to winning teams. It's that simple.

nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:29 PM
mossy joe
keep it riel

vCash: 50
any mention of a NMC with the ference contract yet?

mossy joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
Awesome stuff, love the kid's fire and leadership. That's a leader for you!! Cheers Boston fan = )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Awesome. Love hearing that.
ill be rooting for you guys

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:28 PM
Paralyzer008

Capgeek reporting that Ference has an NMC

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Capgeek reporting that Ference has an NMC
CapGeek ‏@capgeek
Andrew Ference picks up a $1M signing bonus and a NMC from the #NHLOilers. http://www.capgeek.com/player/227

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:37 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post

Petry-Smid
Coburn-Ference
Schultz-Schultz

That's the main reason I said in my last paragraph that I really hope MacT goes out and grabs a big name--a guy who can shoulder tough minutes. I'd love a Petro and OEL, but that's very doubtful. I think he'll get someone, we'll just have to wait who it is. I'm not getting my hopes too high up, though. Even with a Coburn (or Shattenkirk, IMO), and a couple more additions up front, this should be at the very least a strong contender for a playoff spot. The West will be tough, though, as always.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:38 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Meh. I don't think we would be moving him anyways (which of course, is too soon to call).

It's not like his Cap hit is crippling either.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Hockey Fan #751

After how he got screwed over by Calgary, I don't blame him for wanting a NMC.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Soundwave

I think that 4th year of his contract will likely be bought out, but whatever.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:19 PM
blue_n_copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
Which were just rumors.

What really happened, as stated in the post-mortem by EIG was that Pronger's wife didn't last a month in Edmonton before she was high-tailing it out of Hicksville. Pronger was living in an empty house and demanding a trade by November of his first season here.

Even included was some colorful suggestions by Nichols that Pronger should have divorced his wife and lived up to his obligations to the team.
Yeah there is no evidence that the reporter even met Pronger, but Lauren Pronger was definitely not your typical puck bunny. She was a Southern blueblood from a very privileged family who couldn't stand being out of her element. The fact that she had actually taken the kids and gone back to St. Louis was not widely reported until nearly a year after Pronger left town for good. I for one would have been a lot more sympathetic towards Pronger at the time if I had known about that earlier.

blue_n_copper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 06:25 PM
ejams

I love defenseman like this. If we could add Matt Greene too that would be cool.

ejams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:01 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I think that 4th year of his contract will likely be bought out, but whatever.
Or he could retire, I am really satisfied with this contract.

N5991989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:46 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Or he could retire, I am really satisfied with this contract.
Hopefully, it comes out that it's front-loaded to make that a possibility if necessary.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 10:52 PM
nifty988

Congratulations on signing Andy. You guys are going to love him. He is everything you could want from a teammate and a leader. I think he is a perfect fit for the Oilers. I only wish he didn't have to leave Boston but that's a great break for you guys.Looking forward to seeing you guys at the Garden.

nifty988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:21 PM
shoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Hopefully, it comes out that it's front-loaded to make that a possibility if necessary.
The actual salary setup is a little odd. Highest salaries in the middle two years.

$2.25M - $3.75M - $3.75M - $3.25M

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 11:24 PM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
The actual salary setup is a little odd. Highest salaries in the middle two years.

I assume it is so if he gets bought out he has lower cap hit.

iCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:57 AM
oilerfan17

So if I get this straight, players on good teams are only good if they're the best ones at their position? Otherwise they're just riding their teammates' coattails, right?

Jonathan Toews may take some tough defensive assignments, but that doesn't mean Patrick Sharp wouldn't be an upgrade for the Oilers.

Swapping Whitney for Ference is an improvement in on-ice product that also happens to save 750K of cap space. Of course I'd like to see a better defense than the one we currently have when the season starts, but an improvement is an improvement no matter how you slice it. I don't understand why some people on these boards can never be satisfied. I bet if we brought in Chara all we'd hear about was how old he is.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:16 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
So if I get this straight, players on good teams are only good if they're the best ones at their position? Otherwise they're just riding their teammates' coattails, right?

Jonathan Toews may take some tough defensive assignments, but that doesn't mean Patrick Sharp wouldn't be an upgrade for the Oilers.

Swapping Whitney for Ference is an improvement in on-ice product that also happens to save 750K of cap space. Of course I'd like to see a better defense than the one we currently have when the season starts, but an improvement is an improvement no matter how you slice it. I don't understand why some people on these boards can never be satisfied. I bet if we brought in Chara all we'd hear about was how old he is.
Also if we didn't have such garbage coaching last season and a bit better consistency, we would of fought for a spot for longer imo. Even if they aren't astounding improvements this year, if Eakins has half a brain to plays his lines appropriately we should be close.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:29 AM
AlanHUK

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post

cap recapture penalty if he retires in the last year will be 0.

if it was the other way around, 2.25 in the last year the Oilers would have some form of cap penalty if Ference retired.

at least that's how I understand the new rules on cap recapture.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Open Ice

There's the old saying "You get what you pay for," well in this case, you guys are paying for a high character, solid play and maybe best of all, leadership. Ference is the perfect example of how character wins big games as much as dynamic skill. He was a major part of the Bruins success over the last five years or so. The man is a leader, upbeat, positive, winner, warrior. Term may be long, but it'll help with a lot of young talent in there. Ference is focused and knows how to win.

I don't know if he's top four, but he'll makes a great bottom pairing who will do anything for his team. I'll be rooting for you guys. Congrats.

Open Ice is online now   Reply With Quote