HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 01:07 AM
NLHabsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
I think we were pretty torn about DD, then. Some people doubted him despite his good production. I kinda always liked him but at the same time I doubt him, too. For one, he is another small guy on a team of small guys. He did get 60 points. But he played with a hot Pacioretty and hot Cole. Is that the only reason? Maybe they benefitted from him as well. But I think a lot of people have always felt this guy is not cut out to be a top 6 center.
The guy is definitely useful; skilled and smart. The only issue being is he good for the current makeup of the Habs? Too many undersized players.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:15 AM
NLHabsFan

With the discussion about Simmonds and previous rumors about Kane out of Winnipeg would you offer two firsts and a second (same as Kessel deal) or is it not worth it? That's a lot with the reliance on young players being able to step in for their low cap hits and high potential. But both of these guys are young and it is hard to draft this type of player. If you see the team as a playoff team picking in the 20's each year I think it would be worth it seeing as that late in the round it is usually a crapshoot anyways. Plus we have good depth in our prospect pool now.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Dada

I'd get rid of Moen for.......CLEARY baby

As for the defensemen.. White or Whitney could be nice if for some reason Diaz doesn't bounce back from his ''eww'' performances after his injury

Old
07-07-2013, 01:26 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
With the discussion about Simmonds and previous rumors about Kane out of Winnipeg would you offer two firsts and a second (same as Kessel deal) or is it not worth it? That's a lot with the reliance on young players being able to step in for their low cap hits and high potential. But both of these guys are young and it is hard to draft this type of player. If you see the team as a playoff team picking in the 20's each year I think it would be worth it seeing as that late in the round it is usually a crapshoot anyways. Plus we have good depth in our prospect pool now.
Philadelphia needs defensemen, for Wayne Simmonds, they probably want Tinordi, do you offer Tinordi?

I'd do a pair of firsts and a 2nd for Evander Kane, but there'd have to be a roster player / salary going back the other, someone like Desharnais.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:35 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Philadelphia needs defensemen, for Wayne Simmonds, they probably want Tinordi, do you offer Tinordi?

I'd do a pair of firsts and a 2nd for Evander Kane, but there'd have to be a roster player / salary going back the other, someone like Desharnais.
No, I wouldn't trade Tinordi because we need his type of player as well. And we wouldn't need to send a player back if we traded two firsts and a second for Kane. We're allowed to go over the cap by 10% in the offseason so it gives us more time to make another trade. Plus there will be players (Gionta and Emelin) that will start the year on LTIR that also provides short term cap relief if they wanted to wait and deal in November.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:42 AM
andy28

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
If you see the team as a playoff team picking in the 20's each year I think it would be worth it seeing as that late in the round it is usually a crapshoot anyways. Plus we have good depth in our prospect pool now.
If you see the team as picking late 20's each year and it's a crapshoot why would Winnipeg want to do this? Even if they had some magic guarantee those players would pan out, I would have to think they would like a more immediate return for Kane.

Boston made that deal after a season where they finished first in the East. They probably felt like they could compete without Kessel and that Toronto would have a low finish.

Last edited by andy28: 07-07-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old
07-07-2013, 01:50 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
If you see the team as picking late 20's each year and it's a crapshoot why would Winnipeg want to do this? Even if they had some magic guarantee those players would pan out, I would have to think they would like a more immediate return for Kane.
I never said they'd take it, I asked would you offer it. Plus it comes down to do they want to move him? There's been rumors for a while now that they do but they could just be crap.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:57 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

dont go with what makes sense when talking about Philly, I mean... despite them having a **** defense and no goalie, they rushed to sign Vinny - even though they already had a #1, #2, #3 and #4 C...

Old
07-07-2013, 02:38 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
dont go with what makes sense when talking about Philly, I mean... despite them having a **** defense and no goalie, they rushed to sign Vinny - even though they already had a #1, #2, #3 and #4 C...
Lecavalier is an upgrade on Briere.

They also signed Emery who replaces Bryzgalov.

Philadelphia simply goes for good players. They went hard after Chris Pronger a few years ago which came within a goal of winning them a cup. They went hard after Shea Weber. They put in an offer for PK Subban last year, and so on.

I'm sure a trade offer involving a respectable defenseman would get Holmgren's attention.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:40 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
E.Kane would be a great pickup or Bogosian, I just don't see it happening. Kane would fill the 2nd LW spot behind Pacioretty and Bogosian would be great as Subban's partner in the future. Nygren could make the Habs out of camp, if not then Bogosian would be the player for sure to go after hard.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:55 AM
Bieber fever

How about malone ?not sure if he's done or not.Cap hit of 4,5M$ for 2 years.

Maybe something like Moen vs Malone + 3rd pick

Old
07-07-2013, 04:39 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:

I have wanted both E. Kane and Bogosian since they were drafted and both have wanted to be traded out of Atlanta and now Winnipeg.

Don't get me wrong I still would like either in a Habs uniform, but with the players the Habs drafted last year and this year. Things have changed and Bergevin, Dudley and Timmins are finally doing what others never did, get players with character.

This is the only way the Habs are going to excel, having a team that has a balance of players that are able to play the game no matter which team they play. Looking at the types of players the Habs now have and the prospects that are coming, there is light at the end of the tunnel finally.

By the time Bergevin's fourth year comes the Habs will have some of their new draftees joining the team and that is what I've waited for a long time now. About the time Sam Pollock retired is about how long I've waited, things are looking good and getting better.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:29 AM
elite1prospects

Wayne Simmonds has recently tweeted just the letter "C". A lot of people think its because he is being traded to the Canadiens but I think it's because he is moving to the newly formed Division C. which could be Wings, Lightning, Panthers, Leafs, Bruins, Sens, Sabres or Canadiens. Just my thought on that

Old
07-07-2013, 05:57 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
No way they give us Simmonds for that. They would want a better roster player. Simmonds is a power forward with a good contract.
Sign of exageration of our prospects: some people here argued that Gallagher has more value than Simmonds..

Old
07-07-2013, 06:02 AM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Sign of exageration of our prospects: some people here argued that Gallagher has more value than Simmonds..
It would probably cost Gallagher+2nd for Simmonds value wise but Philly would need a D so tinordi/beaulieu+ would be the price and in the case I wouldn't wanna do it. Simmonds is a great power forward but he's gonna be a career 2nd liner (a great one) habs have a lot of 2nd liners borderline 1st liners (Gallagher, collberg, pacioretty, Eller, McCarron) what we really lack is elite top line talent like galchenyuk

Old
07-07-2013, 06:10 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
It would probably cost Gallagher+2nd for Simmonds value wise but Philly would need a D so tinordi/beaulieu+ would be the price and in the case I wouldn't wanna do it. Simmonds is a great power forward but he's gonna be a career 2nd liner (a great one) habs have a lot of 2nd liners borderline 1st liners (Gallagher, collberg, pacioretty, Eller, McCarron) what we really lack is elite top line talent like galchenyuk
Trading for one such gamebreaker would be a Ryaneque deal.

And signing such player would cost us the moon.

Neither option would be perfect for us.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:12 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:

Philadelphia simply goes for good players. They went hard after Chris Pronger a few years ago which came within a goal of winning them a cup. They went hard after Shea Weber. They put in an offer for PK Subban last year, and so on.

I'm sure a trade offer involving a respectable defenseman would get Holmgren's attention.
No. It was game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final.

About Subban, it's another no. Where the **** did you took this?
Next time, check your facts. Please.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:33 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
No. It was game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final.

About Subban, it's another no. Where the **** did you took this?
Next time, check your facts. Please.
OK, so I was wrong about game 6 s game 7 -- does that matter? No, it doesn't change my argument at all. The performance of Pronger and the Flyers since the trades shows that Pronger was a good bet even if it didn't work out. My position is validated whether or not the Flyers lost in 6 or 7 games.

As for Subban, it was confirmed that the Flyers had made an offer to Bergevin.

Next time, check the substance. Please.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
OK, so I was wrong about game 6 s game 7 -- does that matter? No, it doesn't change my argument at all. The performance of Pronger and the Flyers since the trades shows that Pronger was a good bet even if it didn't work out. My position is validated whether or not the Flyers lost in 6 or 7 games.

Yes, it does matter. They were NOT one goal away from winning the Stanley Cup. So yes, it changes the whole argument.

As for Subban, they TALKED with Bergevin about trading Subban. I've never heard about any offer...

Old
07-07-2013, 06:44 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Yes, it does matter. They were NOT one goal away from winning the Stanley Cup. So yes, it changes the whole argument.
No it doesn't. The Flyers were close to winning the cup in 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Stanley_Cup_Finals

It was much more similar to Pittsburgh-Detroit than it was to Anaheim-Ottawa.

Quote:
As for Subban, they TALKED with Bergevin about trading Subban. I've never heard about any offer...
The fact you never heard of the offer is irrelevant. There were decent reports suggesting a serious offer for Subban:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...0026--nhl.html

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...PK_Subban.html

Old
07-07-2013, 06:55 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

I know, but even without Vinny AND Briere, they still had a very good #1 (Giroux), #2 (Schenn), #3 (Couturier) and #4 (Talbot) C...

so on UFA DAY they went at Vinny while they already had good C depth, didnt fix their D and put a bandaid on their goalie with Emery...

it's like you said, they simply go after good players, the player doesnt have to fit their plan as they dont have one

Old
07-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Habsfannick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Trading for one such gamebreaker would be a Ryaneque deal.

And signing such player would cost us the moon.

Neither option would be perfect for us.
Exactly so we are just better off keeping the pieces we need

Old
07-07-2013, 06:59 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
No it doesn't. The Flyers were close to winning the cup in 2010.
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Stanley_Cup_Finals[/url
check your own link, Hawks won the cup in 6, so the Flyers couldnt be only a goal from winning the Cup.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:00 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
check your own link, Hawks won the cup in 6, so the Flyers couldnt be only a goal from winning the Cup.
Like I said in the other post, I was wrong about the "1 goal", but my overall point is valid as the Flyers were in fact close to winning the cup.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:03 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:

that's a trade offer, not an offer sheet.

Closed Thread