HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The team lacks identity (among other things).

Old
10-25-2006, 05:19 AM
Don Cherry*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfield Eagle View Post
Like I said, he can't possibly mean what he posts. He just tries to get people going.
I don't?? You mean to say that you're happy with Chara so far? You think he's worth the money even though he's suddenly turned into a 6'9" poke-checker?

For 7.5 million I kind of expected a mean, nasty, defensive defenseman who's capable of helping out on offense. Kind of like he always *had* been.

I can't say I'm surprised that his game changed. I'm sure Lewis is happy that he no longer plays a physical game.

It looks like maybe we should have kept Gill and used the extra 5-6 million for some offense, no?

Don Cherry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 05:23 AM
Blowfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cherry View Post
I don't?? You mean to say that you're happy with Chara so far? You think he's worth the money even though he's suddenly turned into a 6'9" poke-checker?

For 7.5 million I kind of expected a mean, nasty, defensive defenseman who's capable of helping out on offense. Kind of like he always *had* been.

I can't say I'm surprised that his game changed. I'm sure Lewis is happy that he no longer plays a physical game.

It looks like maybe we should have kept Gill and used the extra 5-6 million for some offense, no?
75 games remaining Cherry -Take a pill.

Blowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 08:21 AM
Westfield Eagle*

Send a message via AIM to Westfield Eagle*
How is having 5 assists in 7 games not helping out the offense?

Westfield Eagle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 08:37 AM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Hmmm, I just noticed this. I can't help but notice that niether of you could seem to dig anything up.

I've always supported Gill simply because he bled black and gold. I know that at 6'7" he should have hit and fought more, but he did those things when called upon.

We have basically the same player now. The only difference is that he's 6'9" and doesn't seem to be the hitter or play with the mean streak that Gill did.

I guess we can continue to overlook those things seeing as we got him at such a 7.5 million dollar per season bargain.
That fight took place in DEC and you joined the board in NOV, I believe? Maybe it just took awhile before you started spewing venom uncontrollably?

Believe me you are making up for it now.

I actually liked Gill and defended him on the ESPN boards constantly. I even got into it with this woman at a game last year over Gill, LOL. You have all probably seen her. She is an Asian woman that sits directly behind the B's bench.

The company I work for has season tickets and the seats (last year) were back a couple of rows. She was screaming at Gill for the entire game (except when he sat on the bench in front of her).

In the 3rd, Raycroft gave up a very soft goal to Forsberg and I asked her if she was going to blame Gill even though he wasn't on the ice, and told her to shut up. I think the customer I brought to the game thought I was nuts?

Anyway, i always thought Gill was a good 5 or 6 D, playing 15 minutes or so a game, but he is not in Chara's league talent (or salary) wise. Chara goes against the #1 line every night, and plays nearly 30 minutes a game.

At the end of the season, I am hoping that the stats will bear out how valuable he is.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 08:43 AM
FONZIE
SPEPATLABFD

Quote:

Maybe Hannu should have replied with : "Aahhhhh, well...maybe if uuhhhhhh...our GM had been more concerned about our aaahhh defense and had gotten a little ahhhhhh...depth ....uuhhhh... I aahhhh.... wouldn't be uhhhhh...hung out to uhhhh dry as often and......ahhhhh I wouldn't have uhhhhh stiffs like uhhhhhhhh Dempsey and uuhhhh York in front of me. I'm uuuuhhhh sure that ahhhh Mr. Chiarelli would like to uuuhhhh have those two signings to uhhh do over again. That was uuuhhh disappointing."

Hey DC, you should lay off the Snickers or you're gonna get FAT

FONZIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 03:44 PM
Hippie

I think Chara is doing just fine! he has been physical, defended teammates (and almost fighting Phanuef), putting up points... DC how can you poop on the guy for not fighting? I love hockey fights, but do you really want Z sitting in the box for 5 min. causing the rest of the D to up theirs, especially with Stuart & Alberts out? When our D is healthy and looks more like it should (Chara/B.Stuart, Mara/Alberts, Jerky/M.Stuart) is when those sorts of things can happen, unless there comes a reason that just have to.

I hate to see us lose, but don't expect to go deep this year and I won't crying in a ball as the team develops chemistry and recovers from injury. The D will dramatically improve as guys come back and Jerky finds his way into Lewis's good graces. If you told me even going into camp that Jason York or Nathan Dempsey would be in the lineup (let alone both!!) I think I would have peed myself, though I'm not sure whether from fear or laughter. Toivonen has played maybe a dozen games after a 10 month layoff/recovery, of course he hasn't looked his best, but give him time to get his game back.

The forwards need to gel. the BBS line from last year should have been together right from jump street IMO, leaving Kessel / Savard / Murray to hook up, but instead you have your top two lines getting used to each other (and switching up still). Individually, Bergeron is off to a poor start, but I don't expect that to last; Savard has been a disappointment, but his feed to Brookbank was sweet and what I think we will start to see. The third and fourth lines are fine.

With 6 new forwards (including a 19 yo rookie) and 2 with half a season here, guys still aren't totally familar with each other. Throw in that this is Boyes' sophmore year... On Defense we have 4 new guys! (and now 5 with Lasoff) B. Stuart has been here half a season and Jerky & Alberts are entering their sophmore years (not to mention both goalies!!). We have a brand new coaching staff (has anyone but Mowers played for or even with these guys?) and large changes in the FO and scouting departments. After the batter gets mixed, you still have to put the cake in the oven for awhile... the best you can hope for is to lick the spoon till it is done.

Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 03:55 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
I think Chara is doing just fine! he has been physical, defended teammates (and almost fighting Phanuef), putting up points... DC how can you poop on the guy for not fighting? I love hockey fights, but do you really want Z sitting in the box for 5 min. causing the rest of the D to up theirs, especially with Stuart & Alberts out?
Huh? When did I "poop" (snicker) on Chara for not fighting?

I just feel that a guy making 7.5 mil. should at least hit once in a great while. Maybe if he at least showed signs that he has a pulse?

I'm surprised that so many are delighted with the performance of our 7.5 million dollar man.

Old
10-25-2006, 04:06 PM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
That fight took place in DEC and you joined the board in NOV, I believe? Maybe it just took awhile before you started spewing venom uncontrollably?
It may say Nov. two years ago or whatever, but trust me when I tell you that I'm one of the originals on this board. If you need that backed up for some reason you can ask DKH, Taz, HG or any of the "oldtimers" (snicker)

Anyways, I've never been one of the Gill bashers. Why not? Because he actually wanted to be a Bruin and took great pride in it.

He also devoted a lot of time to community events and such. He clearly lead the trips to childrens hospitals each year at Christmas time. Call me "soft" (snicker) for that, but it counts for something in my book.

Also remember that he was willing to take Chara on in the first place. In fact, he pushed the linesman aside to get to Chara. (This was back when Chara didn't play like he was auditioning for Ice Capades the way he does now, btw)

Also, he was one of the few Bruins who stepped up last year. He took on and readily beat Eric Godard when Godard wanted to get at the cowardly Travis Green.

Simply put, Hal Gill was a good soldier and was proud to be a Bruin in a time when we have to throw the bank at players to get them to sign here.

Old
10-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Hippie

Sorry DC, I must have miread your earlier posts...

Hippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 08:04 PM
BubbaBoot

Quite frankly, given the fact that the B's are tied for last for the most goals scored, and Chara:
- Has skated the most minutes and shifts per game on the team.
- 2nd in PIMS
- 3rd(tied) in points, (best among better than 17 other players on the team, 1st among d-men)
- 1st among d-man for shots on goal
- tied for 1st overall with assists.
...how can you (RELATIVELY) complain about non-production when most of the rest of the team combined hasn't even come close to what he's done?

I guess some folks will never be satisfied.....
[FREAKIN SNICKER]

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
Quite frankly, given the fact that the B's are tied for last for the most goals scored, and Chara:
- 2nd in PIMS
- 3rd(tied) in points, (best among better than 17 other players on the team, 1st among d-men)
...how can you (RELATIVELY) complain about non-production when most of the rest of the team combined hasn't even come close to what he's done?

[FREAKIN SNICKER]
Nice.

GloryDaze4877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 12:48 AM
Sandmachine

He's been a fairly solid D-man, but I agree he hasn't shown anything really worth 7.5 million. I feel like I used to remember him being more of a presence on the ice; as in, I thought he used to physically dominate in his own zone. Sometimes he'd just be a monster to play against, for lack of a better word. A bit of it has to do with playing with less familiar defensive partners probably, but I think he could make the oppositions forwards feel a little less comfortable than they are now.

Offensively, whatever numbers he posted in Ottawa were probably bloated thanks to the superior talent around him. I expect somewhat of a dropoff in points, but I think if he can dominate hockey games defensively, and be the awesome physical presence that he can be (and has been in the past), then I wouldn't consider him a waste of 7.5 mil.

Sandmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 05:39 AM
Don Cherry*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaBoot View Post
- 2nd in PIMS

[FREAKIN SNICKER]
Yeah, Chara has proven to be worth way, way more than the 7.5 million. I wouldn't blame him if he wants to renegotiate and points to his minus 6 as a bargaining chip. As soon as he throws his *first* hit of the season, his value is going to skyrocket.

By the way, I just love that you added the huge print. Very nice touch. The only thing better than that is when someone adds a gigantic picture to their post.

Last edited by Don Cherry*: 10-26-2006 at 05:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old
10-26-2006, 07:16 AM
BubbaBoot

It's been a handful of games and already he's a bust, eh?

Trade him....wonder if we can get anything for him.

Hey, I hear Jarno's available, real cheap too...so all you folks who sign the checks won't have to worry if you're getting your money's worth.

Last edited by BubbaBoot: 10-26-2006 at 07:23 AM.
BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 07:41 AM
lostbruinfan*

Right now you could have Al Arbour coaching this team and they would be in the same spot their in. This team lacks talent. We can thank the former regime for gutting this franchise with numerous bad trades and financial decisions. The league is littered with former Bruins (Nylander, Thornton, Raycroft, Knunble etc...) that are contributing to there present teams and what did the B's get in return? Basically nothing, PC can't turn this franchise around in a mere few months and Lewis can't coach a pile of garbage into anything more than garbage. This is going to take time will you all be willing to wait that long?

lostbruinfan* is offline   Reply With Quote