HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

The 2013-2014 Blues Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 01:31 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

vCash: 50
"The Blues did not make offers to any other free agents and have no interest in Derek Roy or Mikhail Grabovski." – Andy Strickland, illiterate moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
He is convinced that Lapierre is our third line centre, and Sobotka and Porter will fight it out for the 4th line spot.

So he basically thinks that Lapierre as a top-9 centre is pushing Backes to wing
Korac's an actual POS. I never had any problems with him until he replied to me on twitter in kind of a dick way, I told him he didn't have to be a dick, clicked unfollow, whereupon he replied with something like he didn't have a vagina and then like a true chicken**** deleted his tweet. "The Alton Telegraph." Yeah, way to go, buddy, real achievement in journalism there, like working for your high school "paper." That's something the corn in my **** could do. Snort.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:53 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
"The Blues did not make offers to any other free agents and have no interest in Derek Roy or Mikhail Grabovski." – Andy Strickland, illiterate moron

Korac's an actual POS. I never had any problems with him until he replied to me on twitter in kind of a dick way, I told him he didn't have to be a dick, clicked unfollow, whereupon he replied with something like he didn't have a vagina and then like a true chicken**** deleted his tweet. "The Alton Telegraph." Yeah, way to go, buddy, real achievement in journalism there, like working for your high school "paper." That's something the corn in my **** could do. Snort.
Terrible speculations and flat out lies aside, even a non-writer can see how terrible these two idiots are. Unfortunately, The Alton Telegraph is a local paper for me...and it's not a very good read. Maybe he thinks he can ride Elijah Lovejoy's coattails.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:43 AM
BlueDream

vCash: 500
Lol Strickland. He literally never has any idea who the Blues are interested in. I almost wish I could be a Blues source just so I could hear how annoying he must be and troll him.

Our writers really are hilarious.

Korac is a ****** though. He makes so many stupid comments. He called Keith Aucoin the same player as Scott Nichol which isn't even close to being true. And if you disagree with him, he usually replies with some ******** comment even though he's way wrong.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:39 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Korac is just an unprofessional reporter who knows just a little more than usual fans but is to high-nosed to accept that and reacts like a ***** when it gets pointed out again and again.

Rutherford is the only likeable guy out of those three.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Guy played 42 games last year, Was on pace for 50-60 points before he went to Vancouver and played with their meh wingers and jumped from line to line.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugeFan View Post
We'll give you guys Sam Gagne(r) and a prospect for Stewart and Perron
By "prospect," you mean Yakupov, right?

Old
07-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Lou Korac really doesn't know anything he's talking about. It always makes me laugh when people ask him questions about our lineup, trades, etc. because he gives the most vague answers and never has a clue. He's just guessing like the rest of us.

I thought we didn't have any money to sign a free agent????!!?!?!?!

Roy is a good signing. He's that 55-60 point offensive playmaker we've been looking for and he's only 30.

Newsflash: Nobody on Vancouver did anything in the playoffs, that's why they got swept. But yeah let's ridicule Roy for not carrying the team when they gave him 3rd-line minutes...Great idea.

Steen-Roy-Stewart
Schwartz-Backes-Tarasenko
Perron-Berglund-Oshie
Sobotka-Lapierre-Reaves
Porter/Cracknell

Yes sir, looks good. Lapierre is a good 4th-line center, Berglund is a great 3rd-line C, and Backes will be one of the best 2nd line centers in the NHL. That's good depth. So yeah while Roy might also be a #2 center, it's not a big deal because we also basically have two other #2 centers on the roster so it's not like he'll need to carry the load. He'll just relieve Backes and provide offense. I'd like to see Stewart play with the first play-making center we've had in ages.

This team looks set aside from maybe moving a contract (Halak), and they look pretty good. I don't really see how anyone could be upset. Not a superstar, but we got a good player for a good short deal.
I'm seriously intrigued by a Schwartz-Backes-Tarasenko line. We know Jaden can play with the big boys. Gives Frank a chance. But I could also see him playing with Roy too.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:13 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
I like those lines, Blue Dream (better than the line-up I had put together). A 4th line with Sobotka-Lapierre-Porter is a threat to score. I think I'm going to like the tandem of Sobotka-Lapierre for a few reasons. Man, if you sub in Reaves for Porter that becomes a line the rest of the division is going to hate. Is it October yet?

Old
07-07-2013, 10:54 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

I'm still not as excited. I see the Roy motivation angle but I look at it like he's our 8th-string choice and yet somehow we're still going to be suddenly a cap team. So now we're spending the most money we'll ever spend and still not getting the team to Cup-level competition.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:59 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
I'm still not as excited. I see the Roy motivation angle but I look at it like he's our 8th-string choice and yet somehow we're still going to be suddenly a cap team. So now we're spending the most money we'll ever spend and still not getting the team to Cup-level competition.
Step back a minute and look at it from the standpoint of an opposing coach trying to match up with the Blues. For the sake of argument, make Perron-Berglund-Oshie the 3rd line. Then have Lapierre with Sobotka and Reaves/Porter run around, irritate a bunch of people, then create a dangerous chance all on the same shift.

The Blues have subtracted nothing, and found a way to move Berglund out of the top 6. The defense is just as potent as ever, and probably moreso when guys get a chance to actually practice together. Schwartz>McDonald. Tarasenko is a bit of a wild card, but you have to expect some progress.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:31 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Step back a minute and look at it from the standpoint of an opposing coach trying to match up with the Blues. For the sake of argument, make Perron-Berglund-Oshie the 3rd line. Then have Lapierre with Sobotka and Reaves/Porter run around, irritate a bunch of people, then create a dangerous chance all on the same shift.

The Blues have subtracted nothing, and found a way to move Berglund out of the top 6. The defense is just as potent as ever, and probably moreso when guys get a chance to actually practice together. Schwartz>McDonald. Tarasenko is a bit of a wild card, but you have to expect some progress.
couldn't agree more! guys get overly pessimistic this time a year.

an offensive upgrade, center depth, Berglund out of the top 6 and not to forget Amac out and our youngsters getting better...isn't that what we all were asking for?!?

yes, offseason is not over, moves have to be made but so far we are going the way everyone wanted to go...

Old
07-07-2013, 01:02 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

I don't see how they can move Halak's contract at this point. Literally every single team is set in goal with the possible exception being the Buffalo situation which is complicated because of money. You get the sense that Armstrong was never totally comfortable moving him or he would've gotten out ahead of the market and traded him before free agency.

You would have to think one of Stewart or Perron is likely gone and I don't think Armstrong wants to deal Stewart.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:06 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
couldn't agree more! guys get overly pessimistic this time a year.

an offensive upgrade, center depth, Berglund out of the top 6 and not to forget Amac out and our youngsters getting better...isn't that what we all were asking for?!?

yes, offseason is not over, moves have to be made but so far we are going the way everyone wanted to go...
I'm not sold on Berglund being out of the top 6. Roy is pretty close to a lateral move with him. Some night Berglund will be the much better player IMO.

Old
07-07-2013, 01:19 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
I don't see how they can move Halak's contract at this point. Literally every single team is set in goal with the possible exception being the Buffalo situation which is complicated because of money. You get the sense that Armstrong was never totally comfortable moving him or he would've gotten out ahead of the market and traded him before free agency.

You would have to think one of Stewart or Perron is likely gone and I don't think Armstrong wants to deal Stewart.
I have been coming to the same realization (Halak probably has nowhere to go).

It sounds like Armstrong can sign over the Cap 10%, so the RFA contracts can still get done. In fact, maybe the plan is to do that and then see what exactly needs to move to make the cap space. But I think maybe Jaskin is going to have a 3rd line spot available for him after all, and that most likely Perron is on the way out.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:14 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
I'm not sold on Berglund being out of the top 6. Roy is pretty close to a lateral move with him. Some night Berglund will be the much better player IMO.
thats fair but I'm more than comfortable with it. we NEED guys like Berglund stepping up more often but with his lack of consistancy you just can not trust him to do so night in night out. the third line center spot or playing on the wing might be the best thing that happens to him and his developement.

btw there are nights were Sutter is better than Malkin or Sid, pretty good to have three (more or less) dangerous guys down the middle.

my biggest question mark is Schwartz. it would be hugh for us if he can avoid a sophomore slump and get his offense going. pretty sure Vlad will be better next year, especially after a full camp.

if those guys can step up as I expect them to do and with the new guys we will be able to be better offensively, no doubt for me.

Old
07-07-2013, 05:34 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post

I'm looking at it more from a playoff perspective. What you described was pretty similar to what we had this past year. Subtract an aging and gunshy McDonald and add a disappearer in Roy. It's pretty much the exact same D and G and we've added Roy and subtracted McDonald. So unless there's tons of faith in Roy being this huge difference maker, I don't feel excited for the playoffs. The rest of it boils down to hoping for internal improvement and better chemistry. Which is pretty much what we tell ourselves every single year ever and it never happens. They'll have a great regular season record, probably finish 2d or even maybe 1st in the division depending on Chicago's play, and be another one or two round wonder. That's why I'm not excited – just elaborating.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:15 PM
BlueDream

If Berglund wasn't a center he'd be the easy choice to deal. I think Perron and Stewart are both better than him by a good margin.

I'm still worried Stewart is going to ask for like 5.5 million and get shipped out lol. I want to keep him but we'll see. Perron's advantage is he already has a good contract.

Old
07-07-2013, 06:41 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post
thats fair but I'm more than comfortable with it. we NEED guys like Berglund stepping up more often but with his lack of consistancy you just can not trust him to do so night in night out. the third line center spot or playing on the wing might be the best thing that happens to him and his developement.

btw there are nights were Sutter is better than Malkin or Sid, pretty good to have three (more or less) dangerous guys down the middle.

my biggest question mark is Schwartz. it would be hugh for us if he can avoid a sophomore slump and get his offense going. pretty sure Vlad will be better next year, especially after a full camp.

if those guys can step up as I expect them to do and with the new guys we will be able to be better offensively, no doubt for me.
You should compare Roy's production to Sobotka's at the 3C spot. Berglund on 2nd or 3rd line is not really any different. The upgrade is that Sobotka is bumped to the 4th line and you get a more productive player at that role. It may very well be that Berglund is the highest scoring center for the Blues next season.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:05 PM
NugeFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post

Oiler fan here. I come in peace. lol. Who do you guys think the Blues are willing to give up? Stewart or Perron?

Old
07-07-2013, 07:12 PM
HooliganX2

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by NugeFan View Post
Oiler fan here. I come in peace. lol. Who do you guys think the Blues are willing to give up? Stewart or Perron?
No one knows until the contracts are settled on Pietranglo and Stewart. I still think the preference is to move Halak if it'll free up enough cap space.

Old
07-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Our lack of star power will always be the reason why we won't win a cup. That, and the fact that our so-called offensive players never show up when it matters most. The addition of Roy will improve us by a slight margin, but I don't think he'll make a huge impact. It's getting frustrating when come playoff time, a majority of our forwards suddenly forget how to produce. I honestly don't think we can win a cup with the core we have at this very moment. Who knows, maybe I'm underrating the impact that Roy will have on our team, but this season is the last chance I'm giving to guys like Perron, Berglund, Oshie, and Stewart. If they can't put up points in the playoffs, get them out of here.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:01 PM
SIU LAW

Perhaps this has already been addressed, but I wonder if people are mistaken about the Blues true remaining "cap space."

Everyone seems to be looking at Cap Geek's totals, but those numbers take into account players that will be in the minors (and making less than $900,000), and if I understand the CBA rules correctly, will not count against the cap.

Extra fourth liners/AHL tweeners/young AHLers are in Geek's totals, so it would appear more cap space will be available should these players not be on the roster.

Depending who is in the minors, if I understand the CBA rules correctly, it appears the Blues have 10-11 million in cap space available versus the $7,850,000 often cited.

Perhaps I am missing something.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:32 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
I thought someone said the actual number...Think it was 9.8 something.

Old
07-08-2013, 04:50 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIU LAW View Post
Perhaps this has already been addressed, but I wonder if people are mistaken about the Blues true remaining "cap space."

Everyone seems to be looking at Cap Geek's totals, but those numbers take into account players that will be in the minors (and making less than $900,000), and if I understand the CBA rules correctly, will not count against the cap.

Extra fourth liners/AHL tweeners/young AHLers are in Geek's totals, so it would appear more cap space will be available should these players not be on the roster.

Depending who is in the minors, if I understand the CBA rules correctly, it appears the Blues have 10-11 million in cap space available versus the $7,850,000 often cited.

Perhaps I am missing something.
As CarvinSigX says, it is just under $9.8m remaining. You can only exclude Jaškin, Aucoin and Chorney from the CapGeek totals as the other depth players will need to remain to make up the 23 man roster.

Old
07-08-2013, 05:22 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

I haven't had a chance to post lines yet, but I wouldn't be unhappy with a top nine of:

Perron-Roy-Stewart (Two play makers and some size to protect Roy)
Schwartz-Backes-Tarasenko (Same concept, Schwartz and Backes dig the puck out behind the net and in the corners to get it to Tarasenko where he can use his shot)
Steen-Berglund-Oshie (pretty much an ideal 3rd line)

The 4th line situation is a mess...but a good kind of mess. Too many combinations, makes you wonder how things are going to shake out when the playoffs roll around.

Closed Thread