HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Derek Roy agrees to 1 year deal

Old
07-07-2013, 12:50 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 500
It's not the ideal signing, but I'd much rather Army do this than hand out 5x5 to someone of a similar skill level. It's only one year, so if he has an injury filled season, or is not effective, just cut ties with him and try again. If he's a solid 50-60 point player that plays at least adequate defense, then that's a clear upgrade over what we have now. I liked what I saw from him when he was with the Canucks, and I'm hoping he brings that speed and play-making ability to St. Louis

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:57 AM
thedustman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
It's not the ideal signing, but I'd much rather Army do this than hand out 5x5 to someone of a similar skill level. It's only one year, so if he has an injury filled season, or is not effective, just cut ties with him and try again. If he's a solid 50-60 point player that plays at least adequate defense, then that's a clear upgrade over what we have now. I liked what I saw from him when he was with the Canucks, and I'm hoping he brings that speed and play-making ability to St. Louis
noting the speed is good point. SpEed is something we needed. Now we have some up the middle. I think roy and stewart could lay down some nasty goals

thedustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:00 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Love it. If he sucks, we are only obligated for one year. If come next March he's put up 50+ points, we can resign him.

He claims the injuries are all behind him, but I guess he wouldnt say anything different.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:05 AM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
They won't be able to afford to take on salary so it will be prospects. That is the issue we signed a player worse than Perron and Stewart and now we may have to give one up for prospects. They should have had Pie and Stewart figured out before making this move.

Also teams are going to know Blues are up against it depending on Pie contract.
even if they signed pietrangelo and stewart before this signing, there'd still be a need for a scoring line center, which would necessitate shedding some salary to fit that center's salary under the cap.

regardless of the order in which these events took place, we all knew that someone would have to be moved. the only question is if it's halak or one of the wingers.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:10 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarmoismyhero View Post
They won't be able to afford to take on salary so it will be prospects. That is the issue we signed a player worse than Perron and Stewart and now we may have to give one up for prospects. They should have had Pie and Stewart figured out before making this move.

Also teams are going to know Blues are up against it depending on Pie contract.
You're making too many assumptions leading to the conclusion that one of Perron or Stewart is necessarily gone. Trading Halak gives ample salary cap space, without having to part with anyone.

It looks like there will be a trade of some kind. If it DOES involve Perron or Stewart, there will be a nice return too. Its not like the Blues signed Roy and one of those guys is just going to walk.

Have a little patience, man. I'm really starting to get revved up for next season. The Blues are going to be nasty to play against. Just keep Pietro away from any golf carts, and we're good.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:54 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie the Blue View Post
Would rather have had Grabovski, but oh well.

I'm fine with Roy.
This sums up my take on Roy as well. I liked his game when he was in Buffalo before all the injuries Roy suffered the last couple of seasons.

Now the Blues are approx. 8 million under the cap, the club still has restricted free agents Alex Pietrangelo, Chris Stewart and Jake Allen to sign. Hmmm, In Armstrong's words :

“I think we’re going to be able to get everyone under the umbrella,” Armstrong said, “and if need be, we have very valuable pieces — if we have to move players, that’s not going to be an issue finding a home for them.”

And there will be a trade or 2,no way the Blues hover around the cap ceiling.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:46 PM
stlweir

Just heard Dave Taylor on KMOX who said Roy had shoulder surgery and wasn't 100% last season. They expect with this offseason to train he will be 100% and motivated with a one year contract. Also said expected Lapierre and Bolduc to start in Chicago.

Last edited by stlweir: 07-07-2013 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Correctipn
stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:56 PM
The Note
Bullies

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Just heard Dave Taylor on KMOX who said Roy had shoulder surgery and wasn't 100% last season. They expect with this offseason to train he will be 100% and motivated with a one year contract. Also said expected Lapierre and Bolduc to start in Chicago.
I can't imagine Lapierre being in the AHL. I think he's a pretty solid lock for 4th line center.

The Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Dolph Ziggler
#TeamZiggler Captain

vCash: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Can't imagine Lapierre in Chicago over Aucoin if for no other reason because you can completely bury Aucoin's contract while you can't Lapierre.

That's not counting the fact that Lapierre is the better player.

Dolph Ziggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:30 PM
BrokenFace

This signing reminds me of when the Rams traded for Brandon Lloyd. They had no decent receivers, so they traded for an above average one just to see if it would make a difference or if the QB was the problem. The Blues have no pass-first, play making centers, so they signed Roy to see if that was the problem or if it's their wingers.

BrokenFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:20 PM
bewbies

I'm pretty surprised at the lukewarm reaction. Roy was on pace for 60 last year in Dallas with a lot less talent around him. He was very solid. I don't know what happened when he went to Vancouver but I really don't see any reason why he won't be very productive with 2nd line minutes and a couple of good wingers.

I think he's less of a risk than Weiss and probably Grabo too, he fills a huge need, and I think that 4m is really cheap compared to what other UFAs were getting paid this offseason.

I bet he does 20/45 next year and leads the team in scoring.

FORWARDS
Alexander Steen ($3.363m) / David Backes ($4.500m) / T.J. Oshie ($4.175m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Derek Roy ($4.000m) / Vladimir Tarasenko ($1.750m)
Jaden Schwartz ($1.167m) / Patrik Berglund ($3.250m) / Chris Stewart ($4.500m)
Maxim Lapierre ($1.100m) / Vladimir Sobotka ($1.300m) / Ryan Reaves ($0.600m)
Chris Porter ($0.675m) / Adam Cracknell ($0.600m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Jay Bouwmeester ($6.680m) / Alex Pietrangelo ($7.000m)
Barret Jackman ($3.167m) / Kevin Shattenkirk ($4.250m)
Jordan Leopold ($2.250m) / Roman Polak ($2.750m)
Ian Cole ($0.825m) /

GOALTENDERS
Brian Elliott ($1.800m)
Jake Allen ($2.000m)

Tough to say how much Stewart and Allen would want but we really probably can get both of them inside if we want to.

Last edited by bewbies: 07-07-2013 at 03:28 PM.
bewbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:44 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
So I haven't read the thread, but I feel like this signin means a trade of a forward is coming

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:47 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
And to bewbies your comment about a lot less talent around him, I remember watching Dallas games, he was getting top PP minutes with Benn, Eriksson Jagr and Goligoski. He was surrounded by plenty of talent

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:33 PM
Mike Liut

If Roy comes in healthy and motivated, this will be a great signing.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:01 PM
h22prelude93

Army just spent nearly 6 million on 3 players who aren't very impressive. He talks about not wanting to overpay or be foolish, but I'd much rather see them overpay on one player who pushes us to another level then play it safe and sign 3 more depth players who could or could not make us a better team. Just really bothers me...think about what stanley cup team hasn't had each atleast one player who was overpaid? I just think were at a point where we need to start thinking quality over quantity and these last three signings are certainly more on the quantity side. I can help but think if we offered Lecavlier a front loaded contract like the one the Flyers are giving him(6 mil in the 1st 2 yrs) that we would of landed him. But I'm sure Army offered much less. That said, I hope Roy can somehow turn his career around but like many others as of now I am not at all happy with this signing.

h22prelude93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:09 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Doing small things instead of signing someone else to a long contract (what it would have taken to actually get them) could be the thing that keeps this team together.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22prelude93 View Post
Army just spent nearly 6 million on 3 players who aren't very impressive. He talks about not wanting to overpay or be foolish, but I'd much rather see them overpay on one player who pushes us to another level then play it safe and sign 3 more depth players who could or could not make us a better team. Just really bothers me...think about what stanley cup team hasn't had each atleast one player who was overpaid? I just think were at a point where we need to start thinking quality over quantity and these last three signings are certainly more on the quantity side. I can help but think if we offered Lecavlier a front loaded contract like the one the Flyers are giving him(6 mil in the 1st 2 yrs) that we would of landed him. But I'm sure Army offered much less. That said, I hope Roy can somehow turn his career around but like many others as of now I am not at all happy with this signing.
I am going to preface what I say with that I like Armstrong. I'm certainly far more critical than most others of him though.

I do disagree with a lot of what you have said here. The Aucoin signing was a good deal. The Lapierre signing fits our system well and is a good pick up. The Roy signing is only for a year, and is really low risk and high reward. None of them are really overpayments.

Having said that, how it played out and adding all 3 doesn't look good.

Signing Aucoin made perfect sense. We needed an extra forward, with experience, who could sit in the press box and be ready to give his all when called upon. Guys like Jaškin were never going to play this role, they need to be playing in the AHL every game to improve.

Having missed out on Weiss and Filppula, signing Lapierre also made a lot of sense. He is now the fourth line centre and Sobotka is solidified in the #3C role. It wasn't Plan A, but it set us up nicely to trade a winger + Halák/Polák/whatever in the coming months to upgrade the centre position.

Then signing Roy makes it look like he panicked with the Lapierre signing. Aucoin got a 1-way contract for a reason, we seen him as the 14th forward. We've now effectively got 15 forwards on 1-way contracts (Schwartz and Tarasenko aren't going to be going down).

We can't take salary on in trade, which heavily limits our trade partners. It could very easily put us in a position where we have to take a very bad deal for a player, simply because there aren't that many teams who can take salary.

There is a long way to go this summer, and my criticisms may prove unfounded. He might have a trade lined up that solves our issues in one go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Doing small things instead of signing someone else to a long contract (what it would have taken to actually get them) could be the thing that keeps this team together.
You are absolutely right, we shouldn't be saddling ourselves with bad contracts. I have no problem at all with Roy for 1 year or the fact he walked away from the other centres on the market. I respect that.

The flip side is that if we want to be keeping this team together he needs to be doing a better job on the contract extensions as well. Both the Shattenkirk and Berglund deals clearly favour the player over the team. If his philosophy is always going to centre around 4 year deals and bridge contracts, the team is going to end up a lot more expensive.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:13 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I am going to preface what I say with that I like Armstrong. I'm certainly far more critical than most others of him though.
I do disagree with a lot of what you have said here. The Aucoin signing was a good deal. The Lapierre signing fits our system well and is a good pick up. The Roy signing is only for a year, and is really low risk and high reward. None of them are really overpayments.
Signing Aucoin made perfect sense. We needed an extra forward, with experience, who could sit in the press box and be ready to give his all when called upon. Guys like Jaškin were never going to play this role, they need to be playing in the AHL every game to improve.
Having missed out on Weiss and Filppula, signing Lapierre also made a lot of sense. He is now the fourth line centre and Sobotka is solidified in the #3C role. It wasn't Plan A, but it set us up nicely to trade a winger + Halák/Polák/whatever in the coming months to upgrade the centre position.
Then signing Roy makes it look like he panicked with the Lapierre signing. Aucoin got a 1-way contract for a reason, we seen him as the 14th forward. We've now effectively got 15 forwards on 1-way contracts (Schwartz and Tarasenko aren't going to be going down).
We can't take salary on in trade, which heavily limits our trade partners. It could very easily put us in a position where we have to take a very bad deal for a player, simply because there aren't that many teams who can take salary.
There is a long way to go this summer, and my criticisms may prove unfounded. He might have a trade lined up that solves our issues in one go.
I like Armstrong too. I just think sometimes to get to the next level you have to make moves that maybe don't make complete sense longterm or maybe spend a little more than you should on that one player who pushes you to the next level, and after these signings I'm not so sure if Army is willing to do that. And don't get me wrong I appreciate his calm and calculated approach. I just feel like the window is open for the Blues and I'd hate to see us miss out due to unwillingless to take a chance or overspend on that one player who pushes us over the edge.

Last edited by h22prelude93: 07-07-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Old
07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
which one of weiss, filppula, or ribeiro seriously puts this team over the hump into elite territory? especially at the price they were asking? are they difference makers on the level of hossa/kane/toews/carter/kopitar/etc. you could argue that lecavalier would've pushed this team into elite territory, but again, the term on his contract is out of line. and he actually has to CHOOSE to come here.

also, how do you know what armstrong offered to lecavalier in the first 2 years of the offer? right, you don't.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:21 PM
wilco5886
Come On You Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post

Completely agree with the bolded. I personally disagree about the signing Lapierre, namely because I just don't enjoy watching "pests" regardless of whether they are on the Blues or on a different team. I also felt Cracknell earned his spot on the fourth line and that Aucoin was adequate back up/rotation. But, now with the signing of Roy, the Lapierre signing seems even worse and is basically just a waste of money. Sobotka should be the 4th line center and Cracknell/Aucoin/Reaves/Porter would have been more than adequate rotation. Now were stuck paying a guy 1.1 mil when his addition only marginally improves the team over what we currently have in our bottom 6 (if at all).

In regards to the Roy signing, I initially really liked it. At first glance, it is a low risk, high potential reward contract of a player who is proven to be a very good playmaker. But having given it more thought, my satisfaction with the signing is conditioned on who is leaving in order for us to get under the cap. Really don't see any team willing to trade for Halak. I have never been a big fan of Stewart (feel like his lack of awareness/hockey IQ will always hold him back, especially against teams who execute a system well) but I don't want us to trade him for something cheap like a 2nd rounder (ala Setoguchi). If he gets offer sheeted over 5 mil, I'd be more willing to accept that return (depending on the team who made the offer sheet). Don't really want to see Perron leave. Defense is basically set. So although I like the move on its face, really can't judge it completely until we make a move to get cap compliant.

wilco5886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
h22prelude93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
which one of weiss, filppula, or ribeiro seriously puts this team over the hump into elite territory? especially at the price they were asking? are they difference makers on the level of hossa/kane/toews/carter/kopitar/etc. you could argue that lecavalier would've pushed this team into elite territory, but again, the term on his contract is out of line. and he actually has to CHOOSE to come here.

also, how do you know what armstrong offered to lecavalier in the first 2 years of the offer? right, you don't.
I'd be willing to bet anything I own that Armstrong didn't offer him 6 mil in the first two years. I didn't mention any of those other players so don't try to put words in my mouth. Truthfully, Id rather us keep who we have than to have signed these three. Particularly Lapierre who I've never liked as a hockey player or person. That said, I hope they improve our team(especially Roy)but I think Armstrong still may have to come a little out of his comfort zone in order for us to get that final "piece to the puzzle". JMHO

Old
07-07-2013, 07:49 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Putting Aucoin in the AHL, his cap hit becomes trivial. Armstrong said he was targeting 2 centers, one top 6 and one bottom 6. If Aucoin was looked at as AHL depth all along (which must be the case or why sign Lapierre the same day?) then neither had anything to do with the Roy signing.

Roy wasn't the first choice, but Armstrong also pointed out that there weren't A-level UFA centers out there, except for Lecavelier. The Blues were going to have to sign a couple bottom 6 forwards regardless. How much could possibly have been spent on those 2 positions if they don't sign Lapierre? At a league minimum, its less than 1M savings. Its not enough to likely allow the RFA signings without moving someone.

I see the moves as being calculated, as he went from option to option at the top 6 center spot. The bottom 6 players fit well with what the Blues are doing. I suspect his move to free up salary has been in the works (and probably more than one option) for a while now. Its just a matter of calling some GM back and saying, "Yeah, let's do this now."

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:26 PM
jarmoismyhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
You're making too many assumptions leading to the conclusion that one of Perron or Stewart is necessarily gone. Trading Halak gives ample salary cap space, without having to part with anyone.

It looks like there will be a trade of some kind. If it DOES involve Perron or Stewart, there will be a nice return too. Its not like the Blues signed Roy and one of those guys is just going to walk.

Have a little patience, man. I'm really starting to get revved up for next season. The Blues are going to be nasty to play against. Just keep Pietro away from any golf carts, and we're good.
We will have to see how it plays out but if we have to trade Perron or Stewart to clear cap space which means we are getting prospects back than I still do not like the move since I consider both players better than Roy. If we landed a player better than the two of them then I would have no issues I just am not high on Roy and that is what makes me not like the deal more than anything.

If we trade Halak for futures and ride with Elliot/Allen then I will be fine with it but I am not sure there is going to be a taker for Halak at this point.

jarmoismyhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
SneakerPimp82

Quote:
I'd be willing to bet anything I own that Armstrong didn't offer him 6 mil in the first two years. I didn't mention any of those other players so don't try to put words in my mouth. Truthfully, Id rather us keep who we have than to have signed these three. Particularly Lapierre who I've never liked as a hockey player or person. That said, I hope they improve our team(especially Roy)but I think Armstrong still may have to come a little out of his comfort zone in order for us to get that final "piece to the puzzle". JMHO
your exact words were "He talks about not wanting to overpay or be foolish, but I'd much rather see them overpay on one player who pushes us to another level then play it safe and sign 3 more depth players who could or could not make us a better team."

besides lecavalier, whom the blues made a huge push for and lecavalier acknowledged that fact, which of the available free agents would you want to overpay? i'm not putting words in your mouth by mentioning the other players, it's just the reality of the UFAs available this season. you don't overpay weiss, filppula or ribeiro because they simply aren't the high level difference makers that we all agree are needed to take this team to the next level. this signing allows this team to bridge the gap until either a trade occurs or more favorable UFAs are available.

like someone mentioned earlier, it took almost a year and a half to get bouwmeester, and he seems like an excellent fit so far. we all can certainly wait until at least the upcoming season's trade deadline to let armstrong sort things out.

Old
07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Mike Liut

I have a feeling Army is waiting for somebody so offer sheet Stewart, then take the picks.

Mike Liut is offline   Reply With Quote