HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Free Agent Frenzy Part 5

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Nor is Chris Stewart for that matter, IMO, while physical package and hockey skills are there, he's just way too lazy for a coach like Therrien. See what happened with Cole last season, got traded because of his laziness, Ryder then relegated to bottom lines for the same reasons...
Cole wasn't lazy in the same sense as Stewart can be. Cole was signed for 3 seasons at 4.5. With the cap going down, Montreal couldn't afford that.

Stewart isn't overly physical, but the last year and the year before he showed a more willingness to drop the gloves.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:30 AM
NH57
That's Right Coach T

vCash: 500
Just want to throw this out there, does anyone have any updates, if any, regarding the Habs interest in Alex Edler? Are we still interested? Or have talks broken down and this has been forgotten?

Old
07-07-2013, 10:32 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
Just want to throw this out there, does anyone have any updates, if any, regarding the Habs interest in Alex Edler? Are we still interested? Or have talks broken down and this has been forgotten?
There has been no update WHATSOEVER in the past day.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
ForeverTherrien
grindingforeternity

vCash: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Nor is Chris Stewart for that matter, IMO, while physical package and hockey skills are there, he's just way too lazy for a coach like Therrien. See what happened with Cole last season, got traded because of his laziness, Ryder then relegated to bottom lines for the same reasons...
Cole simply wasn't producing. Therrien is vastly more patient than Jacques Martin was.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
There has been no update WHATSOEVER in the past day.
For whatever reason, Pierre Lebrun seems to be well connected to this Habs management team. So if he's not saying much in terms of action from the Habs, I'd take it as we aren't close to making a move.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustave View Post
For whatever reason, Pierre Lebrun seems to be well connected to this Habs management team. So if he's not saying much in terms of action from the Habs, I'd take it as we aren't close to making a move.
To be fair, no one had anything on Kristo for Thomas until it happened.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:43 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
It's fine. I need to work on my dissertation anyway...
..when I'll stop procrastinating..

..... hey! A butterfly!

Old
07-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Gustave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
To be fair, no one had anything on Kristo for Thomas until it happened.
Right. And he's on vacation now. Sigh.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:45 AM
ForeverTherrien
grindingforeternity

vCash: 456
Quote:
Guys Lebrun, Dreger, McKenzie are all on a well deserved 2 month vacation.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:48 AM
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Cole wasn't lazy in the same sense as Stewart can be. Cole was signed for 3 seasons at 4.5. With the cap going down, Montreal couldn't afford that.

Stewart isn't overly physical, but the last year and the year before he showed a more willingness to drop the gloves.
But we could a afford Briere at 4 million for 2 years. That makes no sense at all

Old
07-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Mueller?
Concussion-magnet, injury-prone, as physical at Desharnais, constant regression since rookie season.

No-*******-way to anything which isn't a reclamation project at 1M a year.
I get the concussion concerns. Hell, I've already given up on Eller, too, and no one's even talking about Crosby anymore. But there are a lot of you who seem to have missed the 36 points he put up over his 47 games in Colorado. Only got 17 points with an even crappier Florida team surrounded by far less talent the following year, but that was still good for 7th on the squad (same as Desharnais on the Habs, btw). In three straight years he has been earning slightly more and more icetime (on a per game basis) despite the injuries, yet he's "regressing"? Do you guys even watch him play, or do you just listen to all the ******** Phoenix fans who wish they could get their 8th overall back from 6 years ago?

Shane Doan's production went down each year on the same Phoenix teams. Peter Stastny's production went down each year on the same Colorado teams. Where are the patterns of production among other players on the same teams at the same time that "prove" Mueller's numbers are indicative of some kind of "decline"? The physicality/engagement thing IS
a concern, but you guys are right - he IS only about as physical as Desharnais, which has been a bone of contention on the squads he has been a part of. In Montreal, though, we toss $3.5 million and term at that.

Would rather gamble on a 24 year old 6'2" RH centre whose skill set made him a 1st round pick at one point but HAS been hurt than a 26 year old 5'6" centre whose skill set left him undrafted at one point, and WILL be hurt given enough time in a prominent role in the NHL. I wouldn't want to give $3.5 million to either of them, but if the gun is to my head...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Why would you replace DD by a player who's worst and more injury-prone?
That's your opinion, not mine.

Old
07-07-2013, 10:53 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I don't think DD is going anywhere.

Hopefully an offseason does him good and he can return to be that near PPG beast he was looking like before he signed the deal.
My thinking is that one should never underestimate Mr. Desharnais many have in the past and are probably kicking themselves for their short sightedness. DD has always proven his worth and will be used to the changes made last season, next year will be different. Having players like Prust, Parros, Whitey, Moen, Eller, Bourque and Pacioretty on the forward corps will ease the beatings he takes continually.IMO.The Habs have seven forwards right there that can alleviate the abuse tendered the small forwards in the past, this season.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:08 AM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
My thinking is that one should never underestimate Mr. Desharnais many have in the past and are probably kicking themselves for their short sightedness. DD has always proven his worth and will be used to the changes made last season, next year will be different. Having players like Prust, Parros, Whitey, Moen, Eller, Bourque and Pacioretty on the forward corps will ease the beatings he takes continually.IMO.The Habs have seven forwards right there that can alleviate the abuse tendered the small forwards in the past, this season.
My concern with DD is not about him getting physically dominated - it is more about his non-committal defensive play and inconsistency in the face off dot. That is where he hinders this team.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
And I laugh at people who keep saying "Look! Points/PPG/etc! We should keep him." Regardless of everything we've observed about his play and ability to compete against motivated NHL opponents, those regular season points just keep on rising to the forefront, lol.

Also, what's with the shot about trading Moen for Crosby, etc? Stewart, Simmonds, and Desharnais, if we're going to focus on stats for a while, are all 16 min/night middle of the forward depth chart (i.e. 2nd/3rd line) guys in their early/mid 20's (none have hit UFA age yet) who provided ~30 points last year. They should have FAR more similar value than, say, a 20-25 minute superstar of the league and a career bottom 6 grinder, lol. Unless, of course, you agree that the physical package that comes with them makes them more effective and thus more valuable... which is what the point has been regarding improving DD's spot in the line-up all along, even in cases where point production numbers are close/essentially even.

Furthermore, trading Price for Quick isn't exactly a value mismatch, either. There is no easily predicted winner/loser in that one - short OR long term.
Well you must be laughing at very few people because not many people are screaming PPG player. A few people got excited about his first season, but most have came to the reality that its obviously a stretch. It could happen someday, but probably not. 55-65 point forward a year is in the realm of possiblity.

And not many people are saying to keep him either - I'm all for trading him if it improves our team. Trading him for a 7th rounder or waiving him hurts the team more than it helps, as far as I'm concerned. Also, trading him for a guy like Ryan Malone is just trading one scapegoat for another with a larger cap hit (people would love him at first due to his size, but that'd quickly fade).

Yeah - you're right. Points have nothing to do with winning games. He's got weaknesses in his game, no doubt. Some that can be improved (defensive play, faceoffs, etc) and others that will never be improved (size, strength). He's not as young as most second year players, but he's still very young to the league.

As far as the playoffs go - he was good in his first playoffs. So good that he went from the 4th line to the 2nd line by the end of the show. This year, he wasn't very good in the playoffs, aside from one good game and a few great shifts here and there. But why shouldn't we see if he rebounds? Why should we let him go? Most people here act like he's the worst player in the league - if he is, he's not going to get a decent return.

My last point was obviously a bit of a joke really did not expect you to take that seriously. Obviously size & skill is the best recipe. If you can get a guy that produces like Desharnais that has size and skill and work ethic - you'd prefer option #2. But the reality is, there aren't many of those players in the league.

All I meant is that it's funny that he gets bashed and bashed and then two seconds later the same person posts a ridiculous proposal.

As for Quick vs Price, that line was also in the part of the joke. I originally had Lundqvist, not sure why I changed it.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:10 AM
sampollock

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
My concern with DD is not about him getting physically dominated - it is more about his non-committal defensive play and inconsistency in the face off dot. That is where he hinders this team.
thus we need to move him,

even big players are weak , and get pushed around,

but when smaller, and we have 6 of these, time to change it up

Old
07-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahH57 View Post
Interesting. We really struggled on faceoffs, not a bad idea.
We got a lot better at faceoffs as the year went on.

After 10 games, Eller and DD were around 40%. Pleks was under 50%. So I think the bad at faceoffs got overblown. However, we do lack a Bergeron type guy that would be incredible to have.

Pleks finished over 50%, DD right at 50%, and Eller just under 50%, which means that in the last 40ish games, our centers were all well over 50%.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:34 AM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

Mueller is the only player i know who can get injured while being on the injury list of his team..

Old
07-07-2013, 11:35 AM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged member

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Mueller is the only player i know who can get injured while being on the injury list of his team..

Old
07-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Well you must be laughing at very few people because not many people are screaming PPG player.
Not "1 PPG", his "points per game", as in, how people are justifying considering him a "55-65 point player". He snuck in his season, and he won't sneak in another - especially given that the play of Plekanec, Eller, Galchenyuk, and probably even Briere, will likely mean a decreasing share of the ice time pie for DD moving forward... unless he's moved to the wing... which still makes him less useful than Mueller imo. And I don't even want Mueller anywhere near this team.

Old
07-07-2013, 11:40 AM
HCH

Quote:
From what I read on Twitter, I think LeBrun is on vacation at the moment, as is Bob Mackenzie

Old
07-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
We got a lot better at faceoffs as the year went on.

After 10 games, Eller and DD were around 40%. Pleks was under 50%. So I think the bad at faceoffs got overblown. However, we do lack a Bergeron type guy that would be incredible to have.

Pleks finished over 50%, DD right at 50%, and Eller just under 50%, which means that in the last 40ish games, our centers were all well over 50%.
The team was average at faceoffs most of the year, this is really an overblown issue. I remember in game threads people freaking out when Plekanec would lose a faceoff on days he was over 60% total.

It's already been discussed why faceoffs are overrated (someone summon Talk to Goalposts), that horrible icing call in the playoffs show how they can be huge but the last thing we need to do is ice a player who is completely useless besides taking faceoffs.

Either way, both Plekanec and Desharnais had decent seasons FO-wise, and Eller improved, so it's not the emergency it's made out to be.

Old
07-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Ice Poutine
I like thoup-Lindros

He probably tripped in the mic's wire after that pic and hit his noggin on the lectern and had a concussion. Or strained a lung after sneezing or twisted his wrist when knitting...

Old
07-07-2013, 01:08 PM
HatTricK09

vCash: 982
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stor...ic-injury.html

Old
07-07-2013, 01:38 PM
ScoutWannaBe
Intangiblezzz 12-17

Hopefully we can get Jagr and find suitors for Desharnais:

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Jaromir Jagr
Rene Bourque - Daniel Briere - Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller - Brian Gionta
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - George Parros
- Travis Moen and Gabriel Dumont

Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Andrei Markov - XXX
Jarred Tinordi - Francis Bouillon
- Davis Drewiske and Alexei Emelin(IR)

Maybe DD and Diaz can be packaged for a top 4 RHD and a pick. If it would happen, we would have a very solid roster.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:25 PM
NH57
That's Right Coach T

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeHabsMan View Post
Hopefully we can get Jagr and find suitors for Desharnais:

Max Pacioretty - Tomas Plekanec - Jaromir Jagr
Rene Bourque - Daniel Briere - Brendan Gallagher
Alex Galchenyuk - Lars Eller - Brian Gionta
Brandon Prust - Ryan White - George Parros
- Travis Moen and Gabriel Dumont

Josh Gorges - PK Subban
Andrei Markov - XXX
Jarred Tinordi - Francis Bouillon
- Davis Drewiske and Alexei Emelin(IR)

Maybe DD and Diaz can be packaged for a top 4 RHD and a pick. If it would happen, we would have a very solid roster.
That's a really solid roster, but I wouldn't be so quick to trade Diaz. Before his concussion, he was really playing well. I know he was never the same when he came back, but after a summer of training, he could get back to the same level he was pre-concussion.

Closed Thread