HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagne- Update 10/15/14: Signs 1 year deal with the Bruins.

Old
07-06-2013, 11:39 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
I rather have Gus over Diaz, just trade Mez for future(s).

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Flyerss

vCash: 50
maybe homer told him to wait untill the season start so they would have enough cap space

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:15 AM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

Gagne >> McGinn/Flanagan/Stratka/Akeson/Raffl....come on now..

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:02 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Is Mez healthy yet, and does he need to be healthy in order to be traded?
Well, if any team wants to acquire him they will check him by their teams doctors so therefore, YES.

Without medical clearance he won't be traded succesfully.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:33 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchennSational1022 View Post
Gagne >> McGinn/Flanagan/Stratka/Akeson/Raffl....come on now..
I'm not going to say I disagree per se, but I like those guys a lot better when you consider that they come at 40% of the price tag, they have to battle to earn their spot and they don't have bodies/brains that have seen 15 years of professional abuse.

As I'm sure has come out in many of my previous posts. I am a firm believer that competition and desire to earn a spot brings out the best in players and would in this case as well.

If Gagne is signing at 800k, I'm all aboard that train.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:35 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
Well, if any team wants to acquire him they will check him by their teams doctors so therefore, YES.

Without medical clearance he won't be traded succesfully.
Not sure if you're saying this or not, but to clarify... injured players CAN be traded, but both teams have to acknowledge the injury and accept it as a term of the trade. Given the status of this particular player, I cannot see them taking on the future risk pf subsequent injury AND the current knowledge of existing injury. Mez probably needs to be healthy to find someone willing to take the full salary.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:40 AM
BackWithaVengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Not sure if you're saying this or not, but to clarify... injured players CAN be traded, but both teams have to acknowledge the injury and accept it as a term of the trade. Given the status of this particular player, I cannot see them taking on the future risk pf subsequent injury AND the current knowledge of existing injury. Mez probably needs to be healthy to find someone willing to take the full salary.
Thanks for the carification, that's what meant. English is not my first language .

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:35 AM
dats81

Quote:
Gagne has had an array of injuries affecting more than his neck.

Concussion 2007.
Concussion 2008. (Actually speculated to be 3 concussions in 5 months)
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/s...gne-concussion
He had a double sports hernia 2009.
Groin injury 2009.
A serious concussion in 2010 from striking his head on the ice. Was actually unconscious for this one.
Another concussion in 2011.

There are a lot of scary injuries there, particularly the insane concussion history.
That's why I would take Gags only on a 1 year contract.
Still don't believe all the "healthier than ever..." talk. He may only 33 years old but his body is a wreck.

If he could stay healthy, he would still be a nice two way second liner....

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:03 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Gagne has had an array of injuries affecting more than his neck.

Concussion 2007.
Concussion 2008. (Actually speculated to be 3 concussions in 5 months)
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nhl/s...gne-concussion
He had a double sports hernia 2009.
Groin injury 2009.
A serious concussion in 2010 from striking his head on the ice. Was actually unconscious for this one.
Another concussion in 2011.

There are a lot of scary injuries there, particularly the insane concussion history.
The concussion symptoms were linked to the mass (headaches, balance issues etc). He hasn't had a groin or other serious injury since 2009. Again, in my mind its a non issue.

Quote:
The lump that was removed from Gagne was an accumulation of soft tissue caused by on-ice hits. It was likely the cause of the chronic pain experienced by Gagne, which has long been credited to concussions.
Link: http://www.jewelsfromthecrown.com/20...gagnes-surgery

And this is literally the first article that results from a google search of Gagne and neck so it's not like I really had to go looking for this. I've read lots of articles with the same message.

Last edited by FlyersFan61290: 07-07-2013 at 07:16 AM.
FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:04 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
If you look at our capgeek page right now, you'll see a penalty on our current cap that comes from an overage last year. The overage is essentially due to the use of LTIR usage.
I thought there was an overage of 1.4 mil from bonuses. Read a tweet from someone saying the Flyers had the second highest bonus overage in the league (tied with another team), with the Hawks in first w/ ~4 mil in bonus overages.

Old
07-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

I'd like to have McGinn instead if Gagne.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Roman Reigns

If people want Gagne to retire a Flyer (which I feel he should) then they can just sign him to a 1 day contract when he's about to call it quits. Similar to Dawkins with the Eagles.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 09:12 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Gagne's a funny guy. At this point in his career, he's going to be used as Sami Kapanen type of player. I have no problems with that because his defensive game is still elite, even if he no longer has the hands he once had. If he can still pop 15 to 20 goals a year, that's a good year.

At the same time, I'm not sure if Gagne should be signed because the Flyers have McGinn and Akeson in the wings, waiting for a roster spot and the Flyers need to see if the two of them can cut it at the NHL level for a full year. Signing Gagne eliminates any possibility of the two of them starting with the big club, which should be a must for the two of them. Sending them back to Adirondack does nothing for them and quite possibly, might even cause a regression in their game.

It's clear that the top 8 are going to be Giroux, Lecavalier, Voracek, Schenn, Hartnell, Simmonds, Read and Couturier. The bottom is going to be comprised of Talbot, Rinaldo and Hall. That leaves one roster spot open. If they sign Gagne, then you can pretty much forget McGinn, Akeson, or even Laughton.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:27 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Gagne's a funny guy. At this point in his career, he's going to be used as Sami Kapanen type of player. I have no problems with that because his defensive game is still elite, even if he no longer has the hands he once had. If he can still pop 15 to 20 goals a year, that's a good year.

At the same time, I'm not sure if Gagne should be signed because the Flyers have McGinn and Akeson in the wings, waiting for a roster spot and the Flyers need to see if the two of them can cut it at the NHL level for a full year. Signing Gagne eliminates any possibility of the two of them starting with the big club, which should be a must for the two of them. Sending them back to Adirondack does nothing for them and quite possibly, might even cause a regression in their game.

It's clear that the top 8 are going to be Giroux, Lecavalier, Voracek, Schenn, Hartnell, Simmonds, Read and Couturier. The bottom is going to be comprised of Talbot, Rinaldo and Hall. That leaves one roster spot open. If they sign Gagne, then you can pretty much forget McGinn, Akeson, or even Laughton.
i agree with this. i wouldn't resign him, now is the time to see what we have here. i heard they already have a deal worked out tho, their just waiting to free up some space. probably b.s.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:57 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
i agree with this. i wouldn't resign him, now is the time to see what we have here. i heard they already have a deal worked out tho, their just waiting to free up some space. probably b.s.
Where did you hear this? Tim P. said something to that effect on twitter a couple days ago, is that what you are referring too or did something new pop up?

Old
07-07-2013, 02:04 PM
GingerFetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Where did you hear this? Tim P. said something to that effect on twitter a couple days ago, is that what you are referring too or did something new pop up?
Something about a dollar figure being agreed on but thats it.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I rather have Gus over Diaz, just trade Mez for future(s).
In trading Mez for Diaz...you have 7 d- men that can play. You know we will have injuries, so why not be ready for it so Gervais isn't playing in the top 6. And he'll, if all 7 are healthy for the whole season, Diaz can sit and get spot duty if needed. I would just rather have Diaz in the top 7 than Gervais.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:48 PM
JoeFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
The perfect trade for Philly right now is one that myself and a Habs fan agreed upon:
Mez for Diaz
Mez is bigger and more upside.
Diaz is smaller and healthier.
Diaz is only paid $1.225 this season...then UFA...just like Mez
Philly saves almost 2.8 mill in cap space.
Give 1.1 mill to Gus
Give 1.7 mill to Gagne
Demote Bourdon once cleared to play...needs playing time in AHL anyways
Allow Laughton to FEAST on OHL this year to build confidence...keep his ELC for an extra year...you know we will need it later too!
We should be cap compliant after this
Philly then has their 7 D-men + Gervais. Can use one in a trade later or more likely, to cover for injuries so Gervais doesn't play much at all.
That is what I would do.
A pretty sound move but it's just not as exciting as talking about Pietrangelo! I'd be pretty happy if that was all that happened in the offseason tbh, it's just the long term shape of the D that carries concern.

JoeFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:15 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Sign Gagne to 1 year, he still has legs and provides leadership which this team lacks.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:26 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Sign Gagne to 1 year, he still has legs and provides leadership which this team lacks.
Que? Giroux, Timonen, Streit, and Lecavalier have all been captains. Then throw in guys like Hartnell, Hall, Talbot, and Emery who provide a veteran presence. I think they'll be alright in that regard, even without Gagne.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
lirl what?

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 01:32 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
In trading Mez for Diaz...you have 7 d- men that can play. You know we will have injuries, so why not be ready for it so Gervais isn't playing in the top 6. And he'll, if all 7 are healthy for the whole season, Diaz can sit and get spot duty if needed. I would just rather have Diaz in the top 7 than Gervais.
Gervais isn't a bad #7 at all. I'm fine with him.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 02:22 PM
BernieTheGreat1
Sharp, Pointy Teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Meltzer also mentioned it in his saturday write-up on hockeybuzz... said the Flyers have agreed on terms with Gags just waiting to move one of Coburn/Grossman/Mezsaros to clear space... don't know how to put the link up on my phone haha

BernieTheGreat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 05:54 PM
sg12lw

i always see a lot of talk on these boards about not rushing players, giving them time to develop, putting them in the right positions to succeed etc. ...and yet now everyone wants to throw one of these young players into a top 9 role and hope it works out?

not saying its right or wrong, but i just find it interesting.....

my two cents:

why not let some of these young guys (cousins, mcginn, straka, raffl, etc) get a full years worth of pro hockey under their belts playing where they should be (top 6) and let a vet like gagne fill the 3rd line roll??

i personally dont see the point in hoping a young guy can do it when we know gagne can fill that role, and will be cheap...

plus, i guarantee if you ask lavy, he wants a vet on the checking line, not a rookie

(laughton does make things tricky bc of his age, so with him we just have to see how camp plays out and where he falls)

sg12lw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Flyers will sign Gagne to a 1 year deal, he's not going anywhere else.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote