HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Oiler Sign Andrew Ference - 4 years, $3.25M per

View Poll Results: Do you like this signing
Yes 265 91.07%
No 26 8.93%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-07-2013, 05:44 AM
JonQuixote

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
cap recapture penalty if he retires in the last year will be 0.

if it was the other way around, 2.25 in the last year the Oilers would have some form of cap penalty if Ference retired.

at least that's how I understand the new rules on cap recapture.
I don't think Ference's contract is long enough to qualify for that.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:16 AM
AlanHUK

vCash: 50
you're right, I just checked it's not, I can't see why it would be structured like that at all in that case, really odd.

AlanHUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:59 PM
Son of Marshmont
Classless Moose

vCash: 2038
Listen, as far as the concerns about where his fitness will be at the end of the contract, the guy is Chara-like when it comes to fitness. He's the kind of guy that climbs the stairs at the Harvard football stadium for fun...and then invites the public to do it with him. I honestly wouldn't make that a big concern.

He's a high-end 5/6, low-end 3/4 and I'll have to be honest; I don't know enough about the Oilers' recent past and current situation when it comes to your defense to place him well. But what he might lose in actual talent, he makes up for with the over-used (but in this situation entirely appropriate) grit, determinination and on-ice leadership. He barks but he can back it up. Prone to turnovers? Yes. He's not a Norris Candidate; but he's generally stable and solid 95% of the time.

I'm not gonna echo what the other Boston fans have said other than to say it's all true. I will say this....with Seguin and Peverley being traded and Horton leaving for CBJ, I am more heartbroken over Ference leaving than all of those losses combined. I'll be watching as many Oil games as I can catch the next few seasons.

He'll leave it all out on the ice for you, then come back two days later and do it again. Not much else you can ask for out of a hockey player.

07-07-2013, 02:46 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post

Check out how many times this guy is the first person into a scrum in this video. The Oilers have been sorely lacking in this area for quite some time. Hopefully he starts a movement.
While the term might be a year too long, watching that video, it shows that he's a Jack of all trades, tough to play against, and he's a team player. He's the type of guy that you go to war with, something that our team lacks throughout the lineup. While this move alone doesn't get us in playoff contention it is a move in the right direction, we just need more of these types of players to get us over the top.

07-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Rains

Yup I like it, guess what we finally have a good veteran defenceman. It's been a long time coming, good signing

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:33 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rains View Post
Yup I like it, guess what we finally have a good veteran defenceman. It's been a long time coming, good signing
IMO N. Schultz is a decent veteran D, the problem with him last year was more Krueger's system than it was Schultz IMO. That said Ference's addition drops N. Schultz to the 3rd pairing.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:17 PM
TennisBalls

This is a great signing. Hes the total package for a second pairing on this team right now. Plus he's one of my best friends cousins.

TennisBalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Spiff The Spaceman

could care less where he was born

he has 120 playoff games of experience.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8466333

Spiff The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:07 PM
JonQuixote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
While the term might be a year too long, watching that video, it shows that he's a Jack of all trades, tough to play against, and he's a team player. He's the type of guy that you go to war with, something that our team lacks throughout the lineup. While this move alone doesn't get us in playoff contention it is a move in the right direction, we just need more of these types of players to get us over the top.
Yeah, that's a feel-good video for sure.

JonQuixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 10:16 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmont Flavor View Post
Listen, as far as the concerns about where his fitness will be at the end of the contract, the guy is Chara-like when it comes to fitness. He's the kind of guy that climbs the stairs at the Harvard football stadium for fun...and then invites the public to do it with him. I honestly wouldn't make that a big concern.

He's a high-end 5/6, low-end 3/4 and I'll have to be honest; I don't know enough about the Oilers' recent past and current situation when it comes to your defense to place him well. But what he might lose in actual talent, he makes up for with the over-used (but in this situation entirely appropriate) grit, determinination and on-ice leadership. He barks but he can back it up. Prone to turnovers? Yes. He's not a Norris Candidate; but he's generally stable and solid 95% of the time.

I'm not gonna echo what the other Boston fans have said other than to say it's all true. I will say this....with Seguin and Peverley being traded and Horton leaving for CBJ, I am more heartbroken over Ference leaving than all of those losses combined. I'll be watching as many Oil games as I can catch the next few seasons.

He'll leave it all out on the ice for you, then come back two days later and do it again. Not much else you can ask for out of a hockey player.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2013, 11:43 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonQuixote View Post
Yeah, that's a feel-good video for sure.
No doubt about it, he brings a lot of what we need, now to get 3-4 characters like him and then we're cooking with gas!

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:39 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post

love that vid. HE brings every thing we need. for a team use to lossing this guy does what it takes to win. Ference>>Whitney.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 12:47 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
love that vid. HE brings every thing we need. for a team use to lossing this guy does what it takes to win. Ference>>Whitney.
I really don't think anyone can argue replacing Whitney with Ference doesn't significantly improve our team

07-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Dabomb

Seeing how torn so many Bruin fans are over losing Ference and how very well liked he was and still is in Calgary, I'm excited to see what he can do in Edmonton with a young group. If Boston and Calgary are any indication, I think Ference will quickly become a fan favorite

Dabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Seeing how torn so many Bruin fans are over losing Ference and how very well liked he was and still is in Calgary, I'm excited to see what he can do in Edmonton with a young group. If Boston and Calgary are any indication, I think Ference will quickly become a fan favorite
I think all it will take is a shift against the Sisters, where he pops one with a big hit then punches Burrows afrer the whistle and Oilers fans will be smitten.

Jimmi Jenkins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 09:18 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I think all it will take is a shift against the Sisters, where he pops one with a big hit then punches Burrows afrer the whistle and Oilers fans will be smitten.
or finger all the flames fans for us, that would be great too

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 10:34 PM
BleedingOil

A glove malfunction vs calgary or vancouver will be awesome!

BleedingOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2013, 11:06 PM
pcanuck

Excellent signing! Oilers fans will love him... Nice guy, lots of character, grit, toughness and veteran leadership. Adding coburn in the offseason could remake this defence in only weeks. Mact is doing well imo... Good draft landing more picks, getting rid of horcoff, and adding toughness is what this team needs asap. Id love to see mact sign another big forward to protect our skill players. I never want to see hall, eberle, rnh, etc fight again... Enforcer like semenko would go a long way to safeguard our investment and create more open ice.

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 08:29 AM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post
Excellent signing! Oilers fans will love him... Nice guy, lots of character, grit, toughness and veteran leadership. Adding coburn in the offseason could remake this defence in only weeks. Mact is doing well imo... Good draft landing more picks, getting rid of horcoff, and adding toughness is what this team needs asap. Id love to see mact sign another big forward to protect our skill players. I never want to see hall, eberle, rnh, etc fight again... Enforcer like semenko would go a long way to safeguard our investment and create more open ice.
Semenko v2

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 09:42 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
I mean, these guys barely ever see their families during the regular season as it is, so i don't see why geography is this supposed big deal to most hockey players.
This is exactly the reason. Families don't want to live in Edmonton due to the climate. Hockey players don't care...but you can bet your ass their wives do.

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 10:39 AM
elmeroil

Are his best years behind him, that is my only concern about signing him.

elmeroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHUK View Post
you're right, I just checked it's not, I can't see why it would be structured like that at all in that case, really odd.
Remember the first year has a 1 million dollar signing bonus making the first and last years equal. structure is fine

nally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Anyone know if or when Ference and Gordon will be introduced to the media? I want to see these guys slip on the jersey. I know they aren't the biggest hockey names, but I'm dying for some Oiler related news, and if Horcoff gets introduced in Dallas, these guys sure deserve to.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:37 PM
hooked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Anyone know if or when Ference and Gordon will be introduced to the media? I want to see these guys slip on the jersey. I know they aren't the biggest hockey names, but I'm dying for some Oiler related news, and if Horcoff gets introduced in Dallas, these guys sure deserve to.
It won't be today. Still in Boston...

http://nesn.com/2013/07/andrew-feren...-brown-photos/

hooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2013, 02:41 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked View Post
It won't be today. Still in Boston...

http://nesn.com/2013/07/andrew-feren...-brown-photos/
Had to quote just so Oilers fans don't overlook it.

One of the best characters I've ever witnessed in a hockey player.

He's going to make mistakes on the ice, and if he injures his groin he's going to be garbage for at least 1 full year, but if he stays healthy (and he has recently) he's going to be just fine as long as he's not THE guy in Edmonton. Amazing team player, amazing community guy, just overall exactly the type of person you want to root for. I really can't say enough about the guy. You'll love him.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote