HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
I assume they have been working on MSG for most, if not all of this holiday weekend? Any new pics?

Old
07-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
June 30th:

June 29th

I'm so excited that MSG is upgrading the ice plant/refrigeration system to modern standards !!! Here's hoping that the Rangers' performance will be enhanced by a consistent quality of ice on a game-by-game basis.

What was the reason for such craptastic ice at the World's Most Famous Arena for so long? Was it the structural layout of the floor? Piping within the concrete? Rinkside temperature/humidity controls? I'm hoping to find out from the insiders dissecting the old floor...

If you thought puddles, snow, slush, ruts, and bouncing pucks were the worst features of MSG ice, it doesn't hold a candle to the old days... when it affected the outcomes of games, or ended playoff series (AND PLAYERS' CAREERS) abominably: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/26/sp...ted=all&src=pm

Old
07-07-2013, 02:05 PM
broadwayblue

Old physical plant/technology and the fact the slab isn't on grade, but rather on the 5th floor above a giant train station. Hard to keep things cool that way.

Old
07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Blue Seat Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Old physical plant/technology and the fact the slab isn't on grade, but rather on the 5th floor above a giant train station. Hard to keep things cool that way.
I'm also assuming that there was lack of proper insulation for the chillers and pipes from below, is that correct? I was reading a "How Stuff Works" article on ice hockey rinks, and it said that they use an insulating layer of sand & gravel beneath the pipes (which carries the brine refrigerant) to account for expansion & contraction of the concrete slab... It couldn't just be the lack of an even grade, or even the heat coming off the trains and throngs of passengers in Penn Station (boy, this is starting to sound like CSI: MSG )

This reminds me a bit of creating a mini-rink inside my freezer (Yes, I placed a baking sheet and applied a scaled-down setup of ice and rink logos/markings when I had no need to use my oven during the summer months... that's my outlet for hockey withdrawal and stress relief, can you believe that?!? )

EDIT: Found the link!!! http://www.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink.htm

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 07-07-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added link
Old
07-07-2013, 03:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
I'm also assuming that there was lack of proper insulation for the chillers and pipes from below, is that correct? I was reading a "How Stuff Works" article on ice hockey rinks, and it said that they use an insulating layer of sand & gravel beneath the pipes (which carries the brine refrigerant) to account for expansion & contraction of the concrete slab... It couldn't just be the lack of an even grade, or even the heat coming off the trains and throngs of passengers in Penn Station (boy, this is starting to sound like CSI: MSG )

This reminds me a bit of creating a mini-rink inside my freezer (Yes, I placed a baking sheet and applied a scaled-down setup of ice and rink logos/markings when I had no need to use my oven during the summer months... that's my outlet for hockey withdrawal and stress relief, can you believe that?!? )

EDIT: Found the link!!! http://www.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink.htm
HAHAHAHAHH thats ****ing awesome!!!

Im another one that would love for them to get the ice right (at least the best thats possible in that building) - especially since they are socking so much money into the renovation it would be pointless to not improve the playing surface. I wonder if the new ice was a small part of the decision making process to bring in a new coach and offensive system to the Garden. I bet it was.

Old
07-07-2013, 03:55 PM
fredrikstad

vCash: 495
Quote:
It depends if we're talking bird flu, spanish flu, or ebola
Ha ha, not HIV? English isn't exactly my first language . So maybe I meant influenced, I really don't know here.
But I know the surface at MSG is bad.

Old
07-08-2013, 08:25 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
New Bridge:

Old
07-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:

(Snip)
I am the only one not seeing this bridge?

07-08-2013, 08:53 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Cool!

Old
07-08-2013, 09:12 PM
nyrmetros

Ugh...

Old
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
nyrmetros

http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-76ers...,1163398.story

Old
07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
nyrmetros

http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...square-garden/

Did I miss this bit of news?

Old
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
nyrmetros

Forbes shows off the new suites at MSG 4.5

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/25100...ns-new-suites/

Old
07-08-2013, 10:46 PM
CaptainBlueshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I am the only one not seeing this bridge?
I know the Leagues didn't want the bridge to come to fruition. Did they win out and the bridge has been scrapped and now is more of a open level?

Old
07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBlueshirt View Post
I know the Leagues didn't want the bridge to come to fruition. Did they win out and the bridge has been scrapped and now is more of a open level?
I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Do you have a link?

Old
07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Forbes shows off the new suites at MSG 4.5

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/25100...ns-new-suites/
funny how in the video it says the new scoreboard will blow everyone away.

everyone except the common folk in the tops of the 200's who wont be able to see it

Old
07-09-2013, 07:10 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

anybody feel like messing with their clock today to get some screenshots

Old
07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
ratdog07067

Getting ready for the new scoreboard?

Old
07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Cliffy1814

Not sure why it's just dawning on me now, but the new pricing strucutre implemented last season in the 200;s is finally making sense.
At first, I wondered why the huge difference in price bwtween row 14 and 15 when a more staggered decrease as you moved up made more sense.

It seems like Row 14 is going to be the last row of the 200's in which you have full view of the arena and scoreboard hence the higher price point?

Has anyone spoken to their rep about that?

Old
07-09-2013, 11:15 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Not sure why it's just dawning on me now, but the new pricing strucutre implemented last season in the 200;s is finally making sense.
At first, I wondered why the huge difference in price bwtween row 14 and 15 when a more staggered decrease as you moved up made more sense.

It seems like Row 14 is going to be the last row of the 200's in which you have full view of the arena and scoreboard hence the higher price point?

Has anyone spoken to their rep about that?
What is there to talk to your rep about? The lower bowl has huge price differences as well. We've known for a couple years that Row 15+ will likely be compromised in some way. The Rangers won't consider them obstructed because you can see the entire ice surface. The reality is I wouldn't sit there unless it was the SC Finals game 7 and that was my only option.

Old
07-09-2013, 11:19 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
What is there to talk to your rep about?

The conversation would go like this:

You: "You know the prices are very high and it seems like you priced tickets so that they are very expensive and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... "

Rep: "Yep"

You: "Can you do something about that?"

Rep: "Give up your seats, I have a guy who wants them"

You: "Ok never mind"

*click*

Old
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:

The conversation would go like this:

You: "You know the prices are very high and it seems like you priced tickets so that they are very expensive and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... "

Rep: "Yep"

You: "Can you do something about that?"

Rep: "I can offer you an extra buy 2 hot dogs and 2 large drinks and get a free knish voucher. Otherwise Give up your seats, I have a guy who wants them"

You: "Ok, I like knish"

*click*
Fixed. lol

Old
07-09-2013, 12:34 PM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

Quote:
Fixed. lol
Seriously, those coupons are really embarrassing. They should just not even bother, how can they actually send you a couple coupons for a small soda for free only if you buy $20 worth of other food. That sugar water costs them $0.07 including the cup & straw!

I miss the days of the free vouchers. I have a hunch that you can still get the vouchers if you spend a certain amount on tickets. For example, last season I added 3 knicks seats so I'm paying over 20K in tickets. All of a sudden they invited me to 2 extra exclusive events, one of which they gave me vouchers at but I had to spend on that day only at the garden. I think they got tired of seeing people buy & sell them on craigslist

Old
07-09-2013, 12:53 PM
nevesis

http://rangers2013.io-media.com/

Old
07-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
What is there to talk to your rep about? The lower bowl has huge price differences as well. We've known for a couple years that Row 15+ will likely be compromised in some way. The Rangers won't consider them obstructed because you can see the entire ice surface. The reality is I wouldn't sit there unless it was the SC Finals game 7 and that was my only option.
I guess I was wondering if anyone asked the specific question "has anyone asked if the new scoreboard will definately be obstructed from Row 15 on?"
It could just be that was the arbitrary row that they chose to lower prices, or it could be that they knew row 15 up would have osbtrcuted view of scoreboard.
If you look at the new Virtual Venue it only offers row 9 and row 18 view.
The view from row 18 has the bottom of the scoreboard visible, but that is the old scoreboard.
Based on this rendering, row 15 might have full view of scoreboard depending o n how low it sits.
http://rangers2013.io-media.com/#vr/Section/222/18/12

Closed Thread