HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Madison Square Garden Renovations (Part V)

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Old MSG 79 49.07%
New MSG 82 50.93%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
  #851
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
I assume they have been working on MSG for most, if not all of this holiday weekend? Any new pics?

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 02:03 PM
  #852
Blue Seat Spartan
Registered User
 
Blue Seat Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
June 30th:




June 29th

I'm so excited that MSG is upgrading the ice plant/refrigeration system to modern standards !!! Here's hoping that the Rangers' performance will be enhanced by a consistent quality of ice on a game-by-game basis.

What was the reason for such craptastic ice at the World's Most Famous Arena for so long? Was it the structural layout of the floor? Piping within the concrete? Rinkside temperature/humidity controls? I'm hoping to find out from the insiders dissecting the old floor...

If you thought puddles, snow, slush, ruts, and bouncing pucks were the worst features of MSG ice, it doesn't hold a candle to the old days... when it affected the outcomes of games, or ended playoff series (AND PLAYERS' CAREERS) abominably: http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/26/sp...ted=all&src=pm

Blue Seat Spartan is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 02:05 PM
  #853
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Old physical plant/technology and the fact the slab isn't on grade, but rather on the 5th floor above a giant train station. Hard to keep things cool that way.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 02:20 PM
  #854
Blue Seat Spartan
Registered User
 
Blue Seat Spartan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Richmond County, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Old physical plant/technology and the fact the slab isn't on grade, but rather on the 5th floor above a giant train station. Hard to keep things cool that way.
I'm also assuming that there was lack of proper insulation for the chillers and pipes from below, is that correct? I was reading a "How Stuff Works" article on ice hockey rinks, and it said that they use an insulating layer of sand & gravel beneath the pipes (which carries the brine refrigerant) to account for expansion & contraction of the concrete slab... It couldn't just be the lack of an even grade, or even the heat coming off the trains and throngs of passengers in Penn Station (boy, this is starting to sound like CSI: MSG )

This reminds me a bit of creating a mini-rink inside my freezer (Yes, I placed a baking sheet and applied a scaled-down setup of ice and rink logos/markings when I had no need to use my oven during the summer months... that's my outlet for hockey withdrawal and stress relief, can you believe that?!? )

EDIT: Found the link!!! http://www.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink.htm


Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 07-07-2013 at 02:39 PM. Reason: added link
Blue Seat Spartan is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 03:26 PM
  #855
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,886
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post
I'm also assuming that there was lack of proper insulation for the chillers and pipes from below, is that correct? I was reading a "How Stuff Works" article on ice hockey rinks, and it said that they use an insulating layer of sand & gravel beneath the pipes (which carries the brine refrigerant) to account for expansion & contraction of the concrete slab... It couldn't just be the lack of an even grade, or even the heat coming off the trains and throngs of passengers in Penn Station (boy, this is starting to sound like CSI: MSG )

This reminds me a bit of creating a mini-rink inside my freezer (Yes, I placed a baking sheet and applied a scaled-down setup of ice and rink logos/markings when I had no need to use my oven during the summer months... that's my outlet for hockey withdrawal and stress relief, can you believe that?!? )

EDIT: Found the link!!! http://www.howstuffworks.com/ice-rink.htm
HAHAHAHAHH thats ****ing awesome!!!

Im another one that would love for them to get the ice right (at least the best thats possible in that building) - especially since they are socking so much money into the renovation it would be pointless to not improve the playing surface. I wonder if the new ice was a small part of the decision making process to bring in a new coach and offensive system to the Garden. I bet it was.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
07-07-2013, 03:55 PM
  #856
fredrikstad
Registered User
 
fredrikstad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fredrikstad, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,163
vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
It depends if we're talking bird flu, spanish flu, or ebola
Ha ha, not HIV? English isn't exactly my first language . So maybe I meant influenced, I really don't know here.
But I know the surface at MSG is bad.

fredrikstad is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 08:25 PM
  #857
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 50
New Bridge:










GordonGecko is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 08:32 PM
  #858
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post

(Snip)
I am the only one not seeing this bridge?

__________________
Jabroni is online now  
Old
07-08-2013, 08:53 PM
  #859
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo
 
BroadwayBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 7,880
vCash: 500
Cool!

BroadwayBlues is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 09:12 PM
  #860
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
Ugh...

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 10:01 PM
  #861
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
http://www.mcall.com/sports/mc-76ers...,1163398.story

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 10:02 PM
  #862
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/...square-garden/

Did I miss this bit of news?

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
  #863
nyrmetros
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,349
vCash: 500
Forbes shows off the new suites at MSG 4.5

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/25100...ns-new-suites/

nyrmetros is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 10:46 PM
  #864
CaptainBlueshirt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
I am the only one not seeing this bridge?
I know the Leagues didn't want the bridge to come to fruition. Did they win out and the bridge has been scrapped and now is more of a open level?

CaptainBlueshirt is offline  
Old
07-08-2013, 11:15 PM
  #865
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 5,217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBlueshirt View Post
I know the Leagues didn't want the bridge to come to fruition. Did they win out and the bridge has been scrapped and now is more of a open level?
I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Do you have a link?

Megustaelhockey is online now  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:00 AM
  #866
trueblue9441
Registered User
 
trueblue9441's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,414
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Forbes shows off the new suites at MSG 4.5

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/25100...ns-new-suites/
funny how in the video it says the new scoreboard will blow everyone away.

everyone except the common folk in the tops of the 200's who wont be able to see it

trueblue9441 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 07:10 AM
  #867
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 50
anybody feel like messing with their clock today to get some screenshots

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 08:56 AM
  #868
ratdog07067
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Woodbridge, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 112
vCash: 500
Getting ready for the new scoreboard?


ratdog07067 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 10:47 AM
  #869
Cliffy1814
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Not sure why it's just dawning on me now, but the new pricing strucutre implemented last season in the 200;s is finally making sense.
At first, I wondered why the huge difference in price bwtween row 14 and 15 when a more staggered decrease as you moved up made more sense.

It seems like Row 14 is going to be the last row of the 200's in which you have full view of the arena and scoreboard hence the higher price point?

Has anyone spoken to their rep about that?

Cliffy1814 is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 11:15 AM
  #870
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
Not sure why it's just dawning on me now, but the new pricing strucutre implemented last season in the 200;s is finally making sense.
At first, I wondered why the huge difference in price bwtween row 14 and 15 when a more staggered decrease as you moved up made more sense.

It seems like Row 14 is going to be the last row of the 200's in which you have full view of the arena and scoreboard hence the higher price point?

Has anyone spoken to their rep about that?
What is there to talk to your rep about? The lower bowl has huge price differences as well. We've known for a couple years that Row 15+ will likely be compromised in some way. The Rangers won't consider them obstructed because you can see the entire ice surface. The reality is I wouldn't sit there unless it was the SC Finals game 7 and that was my only option.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 11:19 AM
  #871
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What is there to talk to your rep about?



The conversation would go like this:

You: "You know the prices are very high and it seems like you priced tickets so that they are very expensive and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... "

Rep: "Yep"

You: "Can you do something about that?"

Rep: "Give up your seats, I have a guy who wants them"

You: "Ok never mind"

*click*

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 11:27 AM
  #872
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post



The conversation would go like this:

You: "You know the prices are very high and it seems like you priced tickets so that they are very expensive and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... and .... "

Rep: "Yep"

You: "Can you do something about that?"

Rep: "I can offer you an extra buy 2 hot dogs and 2 large drinks and get a free knish voucher. Otherwise Give up your seats, I have a guy who wants them"

You: "Ok, I like knish"

*click*
Fixed. lol

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:34 PM
  #873
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 3,765
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Fixed. lol
Seriously, those coupons are really embarrassing. They should just not even bother, how can they actually send you a couple coupons for a small soda for free only if you buy $20 worth of other food. That sugar water costs them $0.07 including the cup & straw!

I miss the days of the free vouchers. I have a hunch that you can still get the vouchers if you spend a certain amount on tickets. For example, last season I added 3 knicks seats so I'm paying over 20K in tickets. All of a sudden they invited me to 2 extra exclusive events, one of which they gave me vouchers at but I had to spend on that day only at the garden. I think they got tired of seeing people buy & sell them on craigslist

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:53 PM
  #874
nevesis
#30
 
nevesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 8,431
vCash: 500
http://rangers2013.io-media.com/

nevesis is offline  
Old
07-09-2013, 12:58 PM
  #875
Cliffy1814
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 626
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
What is there to talk to your rep about? The lower bowl has huge price differences as well. We've known for a couple years that Row 15+ will likely be compromised in some way. The Rangers won't consider them obstructed because you can see the entire ice surface. The reality is I wouldn't sit there unless it was the SC Finals game 7 and that was my only option.
I guess I was wondering if anyone asked the specific question "has anyone asked if the new scoreboard will definately be obstructed from Row 15 on?"
It could just be that was the arbitrary row that they chose to lower prices, or it could be that they knew row 15 up would have osbtrcuted view of scoreboard.
If you look at the new Virtual Venue it only offers row 9 and row 18 view.
The view from row 18 has the bottom of the scoreboard visible, but that is the old scoreboard.
Based on this rendering, row 15 might have full view of scoreboard depending o n how low it sits.
http://rangers2013.io-media.com/#vr/Section/222/18/12

Cliffy1814 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.