HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

CHI-VAN prosposal

Old
10-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Respect Your Edler
Thank You 52

vCash: 500
I'm wondering if Cooke is on the way out tho. I've read those roumors that we are looking to trade him to Pits for Malone or Orpik. Maybe he is indeed being shopped around. I doubt there's anything to it, but you never know.

Respect Your Edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:50 AM
Nalyd Psycho

It wouldn't surprise me as we have no wiggle room and Cooke and Morrison are the only expendable big contracts. I just think we need a return on him that is useful.

10-25-2006, 03:56 AM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutSoldOut View Post
I'm wondering if Cooke is on the way out tho. I've read those roumors that we are looking to trade him to Pits for Malone or Orpik. Maybe he is indeed being shopped around. I doubt there's anything to it, but you never know.
cooke for orpik is the kind of deal that i would do from a canucks standpoint.. not for picks..

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 07:38 AM
Vajakki

What about Salo and Schneider for Seabrook and T. Ruutu?

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 08:54 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksMorrison View Post
To Chicago:
Matt Cooke

To Vancouver:
Brandon Bochenski
2nd round pick ('07)

I don't have the best comprehension of Chicago's depth prospect wise, but I know Tallon is obviously looking for roster players, and said he wouldn't give up NHL players for them, just depth in prospects...Cooke's salary is out of the way, the Canucks can put Bochenski back in the NHL, see what he can do, and have a mid 2nd round pick...

BB can not make the hawks, he could not make the sens--if it is a sal dump you want--don't trade mucker for a small fw who gets pushed around

any trade for Cooke would have to incluede some toughness coming back and someone who can actually play in the nhl

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 09:38 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Whitley View Post
How about NO!!! I like Schneider, but Salo is a UFA in a year and the Hawks wouldn't be able to resign him. You're talking about 2 guys the Hawks need to build around for 70 games of Salo & a good goaltending prospect.

I would say no to the original deal as well because Cooke is overpaid for what he brings to the table. The Hawks really don't have that much salary cap room, especially if Barker is playing in the NHL when he comes back from the ankle injury.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 10:08 AM
JannikAtTheDisco
No panic it's Jannik

Quote:

Where des Nonis sign???

Nah Chicago wouldn't do that.

JannikAtTheDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
It wouldn't surprise me as we have no wiggle room and Cooke and Morrison are the only expendable big contracts. I just think we need a return on him that is useful.
The only players we should dump are Luongo, Ohlund, Naslund and the Sedins as they are the only players who's play is inconsistant with the rest of the team's play. After all, if the team keeps playing the way they have, the team will endup with 90 points and make the playoffs. The Robson Street mechants definately don't want that, plus trading those five players would free up $23.4 million in cap space so we could then trade for players with true value like St Louis, De Pietro, Yashin, Jagr & Bonk. We might even be able to pay Messier and Domi enough to entice them out of retirement.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:43 AM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
How about NO!!! I like Schneider, but Salo is a UFA in a year and the Hawks wouldn't be able to resign him..
If the 'Hawks would do the same thing as they did with Havlat (he was RFA, Salo UFA, I know). Trade, and resign right after that. Or do you have some salary cap concerns..?

Would you do the trade if Salo's set to sign with the Blackhawks for, lets say 3yr/12mil?

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 11:45 AM
Zim

Quote:
If the 'Hawks would do the same thing as they did with Havlat (he was RFA, Salo UFA, I know). Trade, and resign right after that. Or do you have some salary cap concerns..?

Would you do the trade if Salo's set to sign with the Blackhawks for, lets say 3yr/12mil?
Seabrook isn't going anywhere except to land a genuine first line centre.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:04 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-wayman View Post
The only players we should dump are Luongo, Ohlund, Naslund and the Sedins as they are the only players who's play is inconsistant with the rest of the team's play. After all, if the team keeps playing the way they have, the team will endup with 90 points and make the playoffs. The Robson Street mechants definately don't want that, plus trading those five players would free up $23.4 million in cap space so we could then trade for players with true value like St Louis, De Pietro, Yashin, Jagr & Bonk. We might even be able to pay Messier and Domi enough to entice them out of retirement.
sarcasm... unwarranted, yet funny.
Maybe you didn't get the memo... you need to give up something to get something. Morrison isn't playing well and hence will be part of trade speculation. He has produced in the past and has the skills to be a solid 2nd line center, which the Canucks will then lack if he is traded. Cooke is a grinder, a good one at that. The Canucks have Burrows who plays a similar style, and therefore Cooke is more expendable, specially with his contract. With the Canucks searching (internally or externally) for secondary scoring, trading Cooke for a 2nd line player isn't out of the question. Whether or not you like the fact that these 2 players are part of the trade speculation or not is irrelevant, there is some logic behind each player, and you need to realize this before making stupid (yet funny) sarcastic posts.

CalgaryCanuck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:

Chicago would much rather have Seabrook over Salo and much rather have Ruutu than Schneider.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 12:50 PM
Troy Gamble

You absolutely sure about that... to be honest if I were Chicago I wouldn't like the Seabrook/Salo part of that exchange UNLESS I were assured Salo would sign an extension beforehand. Even then I don't think the exchange would make sense for a rebuilding team like Chicago. But please don't underrate Salo who has become a VERY VERY good defenceman.

Do you know however think Chicago would be interested in adding a VERY VERY good goaltending prospect in return for a guy who rarely plays because he's always injured? Ruutu may become a good player, but at the moment he is a fragile guy with middling offensive production. Some teams would sacrifice a player of that ilk to get a blue-chip goaltending prospect.

Having said that I don't want to trade Schneider... so bleh to the trade proposal anyways.

Troy Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 01:08 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:

I'd still say no. I really like Salo, but Seabrook is a top pairing guy IMO, and Ruutu's desperately needed in CHI. Depending on what you think of Seabrook, the net deal would be the Hawks potentially upgrading on the blueline, and trading one of their few potential 1st line players for a goalie prospect. Not the sort of deal that should be making right now IMO.

Add in the Hawks really aren't in the position to add another highly paid UFA, and I don't think there's any way this happens.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 01:10 PM
sticknrink

Why in hell do Canuck fans want to trade Cooke so badly?

We're making a big mistake if we ship him out.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 01:17 PM
Troy Gamble

We're in a hurry because every season Canucks' fans need a whipping boy or two and this season it's Cooke and Morrison.
Last year the trade du jour was Bertuzzi for _________________________.
The previous year is was Cloutier or Sopel for _______________________.

We're an unforgiving bunch on the left coast.

Personally I think Cooke is more replaceable now than he was previously, because there are guys like Burrows, Rypien and perhaps even Mike Brown waiting in the wings to assume that 'energy' role. Having said that I still like a gritty energetic player who plays balls to the wall every night and every shift. Those who want to hand him away for a pick aren't really thinking much imo.

Morrison, in my opinion, is a guy who deserves the wrath of Vancouver fans early this season. Whether he hasn't completely recovered from past injuries, or whether he was truly carried by Bertuzzi and Naslund I do not know, but he isn't the same guy from years past. Maybe he'll look better given time to gell with new linemates, but early on he certainly hasn't justified his contract and I can't blame the fans who are including him in trade talks.

Troy Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 01:42 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknrink View Post

Lack of secondary scoring??? Cooke has a contract that makes him expendable??? To get something of worth back, you need to trade something of worth???

Old
10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi-wayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
sarcasm... unwarranted, yet funny.
Maybe you didn't get the memo... you need to give up something to get something. Morrison isn't playing well and hence will be part of trade speculation. He has produced in the past and has the skills to be a solid 2nd line center, which the Canucks will then lack if he is traded. Cooke is a grinder, a good one at that. The Canucks have Burrows who plays a similar style, and therefore Cooke is more expendable, specially with his contract. With the Canucks searching (internally or externally) for secondary scoring, trading Cooke for a 2nd line player isn't out of the question. Whether or not you like the fact that these 2 players are part of the trade speculation or not is irrelevant, there is some logic behind each player, and you need to realize this before making stupid (yet funny) sarcastic posts.
Actually I have to disagree with you about the sarcasm being unwarranted. The Canucks are 10 games into the season and are actually ahead of what many considered their standings would be at this time. The team is just getting used to all the new players together with a new coach and a new system. Troy Gamble is right in that for some reason Canuck fans have to find whipping boys on the team each and every year. Yes, Cooke or Morrison may be expendable if a trade needs to go down, but so are a number of other players on this team including some considered key players. At this moment in time though, the only reason for a trade should be to replace a key player due to a season ending injury, not as is the tenor of this thread, to find a winger for the Sedins or for Naslund. The earliest I could see giving up on any of our current players would be after the Christmas break. Until then, give the players a chance to prove themselves.

I will qualify my stand above though in that if Chicago was ever stupid enough to trade Seabrook and T. Ruutu for Salo and Schneider, I would hope Nonis would jump at the opportunity.

In the mean time, I'll laugh and make lite of some of the posts and hope no one takes offense at my versions of tongue in cheek comedy.

Hi-wayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 03:05 PM
sticknrink

Cooke at 1.5m isn't really that bad of a contract imo. He's not just an energy player but a solid PKer/checker and a gritty hitting forechecker. We need guys with experience on the bottom end, we can't just keep plugging dorks like Burrows and Rypien in there.

Morrison can just go suck a lemon as far as I'm concerned though.

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2006, 03:26 PM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Cooke at 1.5m isn't really that bad of a contract imo. He's not just an energy player but a solid PKer/checker and a gritty hitting forechecker. We need guys with experience on the bottom end, we can't just keep plugging dorks like Burrows and Rypien in there.

Morrison can just go suck a lemon as far as I'm concerned though.
Well apparently Cooke is god and everybody else in the bottom 6 sucks....
As I've stated before, Morrison and Bulis didn't seem to have any space to work with, I haven't seen them with Naslund yet but having a marquee player like Markus on that line will give the other 2 more ice to work with. I agree that this trade proposal makes no sense for the Canucks, as it looks like a salary dump but it isn't helping the team enough to do such a thing. As much as I am a big fan of Cooke, he seems like the most likely candidate to be traded, if we want some more scoring punch. Trading Morrison doesn't make much sense as we don't have decent 2nd line center then. Also with the play of Morrison and his contract size, he will be a lot tougher to move, and you won't get as much for Morrison as per his "value" as you would with Cooke. The Canucks more equipped players who can step into Cookes role than can step into Morrison role.

Old
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
Stuy

Ott has our 2nd round pick

10-25-2006, 11:31 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
NUcks will need someone who can bang around like cooke

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:

Want? No. But realizing that if we are to improve elsewhere he will likely have to be part of the outgoing package.

I don't want to trade Salo unless we are out of the playoff picture.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 01:04 AM
Milvesof Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Lack of secondary scoring??? Cooke has a contract that makes him expendable??? To get something of worth back, you need to trade something of worth???
So as soon as someone makes a proposal where something of worth is returned (i.e. not Brandon Bochenski) maybe some of us will be more open to deals involving Cooke.

I'm sorry, BB does nothing to improve our 2ndary scoring. A big no thanks.

Milvesof Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
CalgaryCanuck03
@calgarycanuck03

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
So as soon as someone makes a proposal where something of worth is returned (i.e. not Brandon Bochenski) maybe some of us will be more open to deals involving Cooke.

I'm sorry, BB does nothing to improve our 2ndary scoring. A big no thanks.
Very true, I wasn't saying that this trade is good in any shape or form though. I was just replying to a post asking why Cooke's name keeps getting brought up in trade talk. Bochenski is not in any shape or form a solution to any secondary scoring problems on any NHL team at this point.