Old
07-06-2013, 08:26 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Don't think the Flames will let him go, he played well for them

beauty fight between 2 of the best last year:
Haha Souray and Beauch should just retire after that one. Especially Souray.. my God.

CanadianBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Colt.45Orr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
anybody in the A that we could trade for?? Probably never should have got rid of McGrattan. Would have been a good plug for 15-20 games a season against teams with that type of fighter.
I really, really like Peluso on the Jets. Broke his hand in this fight:

Great hitter (anybody that cleans out Rinaldo is OK with me):

but he is young and has good hands for a 4th liner and good hockey sense too. 230pds, can hang with all the big boys. Bring him in as 13th forward and have him mentor under Thornton for a year.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Habs13

Quote:
Originally Posted by N o o d l e s View Post
Worrying about Montreal adding George Parros should be one of our last concerns this offseason.

Yet again Montreal tries to add a pure goon thinking it will counter the Bruins. What they need is an Evander Kane-like player, or even someone like Clarkson. The Bruins will just skate around whatever goon they bring in. The guys need to be able to play, guess Bergevin still hasn't gotten the memo.
You know what the Habs need... wish Bergevin did. If he wanted to bring in a winger, why not go after Horton in place of shrimp Briere. Why am I asking Boston fans? Haha sorry.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
I really, really like Peluso on the Jets. Broke his hand in this fight:

Great hitter (anybody that cleans out Rinaldo is OK with me):

but he is young and has good hands for a 4th liner and good hockey sense too. 230pds, can hang with all the big boys. Bring him in as 13th forward and have him mentor under Thornton for a year.
As per usual, Colt... You and I see eye to eye.

I think however, that this team will see definite improvement just by virtue of the top two lines making more sense than they've ever made before.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:44 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Get Tony on our third line and I think we'll be fine.

CptxMorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
I keep forgetting that Camara is in the mix.

Anyone share that with me?

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 12:51 PM
boston77

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptxMorgan View Post
Camara will go against anyone he is not intimidated but he is not a heavyweight, going against guys like Scott will ruin his career. This is what Wendel did and his career was cut short by injuries...

boston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:14 PM
BoyntBergie

I wouldn't mind a move like this but see it as unlikely.

If we're talking about just a flat out goon to play 5 minutes every 20-30 games against the Scotts and Kassians (Parros isn't all that scary and Thornton's never had a problem with him before IIRC) then that kills Claude's ability to roll 4 lines (agree or disagree with the philosophy). I suppose you could double shift a winger a few times those games to get over that, but that's never really been Claude's M.O.

More importantly if you ask me, is how's Thornton gonna take being told he's sitting for 20-30 games because there's another guy they want taking on the big guns? Can't see that sitting well with him, even if it is in his best interest.

A guy like Mashinter's an interesting thought, I see he has some 30 point seasons in the A which would indicate some level of skill. Given his size though, he's going to get eaten alive by guys like Scott and Kassian too. But at least it isn't Thornton taking the pounding, so I see the upside.

Wonder if they have any sort of plans for a guy like Flick? I don't know a ton about him just that he's close to the same size as Mashinter and seems as willing. As someone who always liked Sauve, I was hoping he was more than just a plug when they got him.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 01:29 PM
GordonHowe

It is a bit scary because they also have Prust, but not overly concerned. If they bring their team toughness (and say it with me, "take the hit to make the play" is part of that definition), they'll be fine.

The Scott thing made me sick to my stomach. I'm at the point where I don't want to see a one-sided beat down where the recipient gets seriously hurt. Getting old, I guess.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:53 PM
CanadianBruinsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHowe View Post
It is a bit scary because they also have Prust, but not overly concerned. If they bring their team toughness (and say it with me, "take the hit to make the play" is part of that definition), they'll be fine.

The Scott thing made me sick to my stomach. I'm at the point where I don't want to see a one-sided beat down where the recipient gets seriously hurt. Getting old, I guess.
I'm with you. I even think back to Chara making hamburger out of Koci's face. Even Aaron Ward said he wanted to get sick on the bench. It's not NWO. The Dzurzynski (sp?) incident sucked too.

CanadianBruinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 02:56 PM
MillerTime 86
So Long Tyler SeQuin

Thornton can hang with Parros and Lucic can mangle Prust. Chara can destroy anybody if he's mad enough.

Not sure what the panic is all about ...

MillerTime 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:19 PM
DOGSTARMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
Personally I don't think Parros was brought in because of Boston, he was brought in because of Toronto.

Last year the Habs got ***** whipped by the Leafs and it's not going to happen again this year.
I agree. He's there because of Ottawa, Toronto, and even Buffalo, all of who dress some big boys.

DOGSTARMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:23 PM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
I wouldn't mind a move like this but see it as unlikely.

If we're talking about just a flat out goon to play 5 minutes every 20-30 games against the Scotts and Kassians (Parros isn't all that scary and Thornton's never had a problem with him before IIRC) then that kills Claude's ability to roll 4 lines (agree or disagree with the philosophy). I suppose you could double shift a winger a few times those games to get over that, but that's never really been Claude's M.O.

More importantly if you ask me, is how's Thornton gonna take being told he's sitting for 20-30 games because there's another guy they want taking on the big guns? Can't see that sitting well with him, even if it is in his best interest.

A guy like Mashinter's an interesting thought, I see he has some 30 point seasons in the A which would indicate some level of skill. Given his size though, he's going to get eaten alive by guys like Scott and Kassian too. But at least it isn't Thornton taking the pounding, so I see the upside.

Wonder if they have any sort of plans for a guy like Flick? I don't know a ton about him just that he's close to the same size as Mashinter and seems as willing. As someone who always liked Sauve, I was hoping he was more than just a plug when they got him.
Thornton will probably sit more this year just due to age, short off season, and emphasis on speed. Who cares who others put out. The intimidation days are over folks. These players don't have 10% spontaneous fights they have to ask like they are going on a date.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:37 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Thornton is as tough as nails, but is small for a 2013 "heavy" and should not have to go up against all these guys from our rivals list:

-Parros
-Orr
-McLaren
-Kassian
-Scott

Those guys all have tons of size on Thornton and are a threat to beat him up. I love Thornton, but he just keeps getting older it just keeps getting worse for him. A few years ago he was the big shark in the divisional waters and now he is looking like chum for some of these guys.

He's too old and too small relatively speaking) to be going up against all these guys. The Habs will likely sit Parros lots but play him every game against the Bruins. The word is out to run Chara and get him off his game. We should play Thornton 50 games this year (after a long playoff run that is more than enough) and should be looking at getting a 600k hulk who can be put into the line-up when the divisional rivals decide they want to rough it up.
Wouldn`t waste one jab with any of em, all pretty much useless ineffective pilons IMO, not sure Thornton was ever the "big shark", I think he`s always been a willing heavyweight who was a good fighter, what built his rep was he was willing to go with guys bigger than him without hesitation.

And I`ll wager that if Carlyle had the choice, he`d not play Orr/McLaren half as much next playoff

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Neely08

Tough guy named Tony?

Oh yeah.

It's time.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
ODAAT

I get making a move based on other teams improving, if I`m a GM, no way, unless my team is continually getting physically steamrolled/manhandled game in and out I make any moves to address the goon factor, which is essentially the aforementioned names are in this case outside of Thornton and Prust who, when focused, can play

Old
07-07-2013, 03:46 PM
GordonHowe

And I`ll wager that if Carlyle had the choice, he`d not play Orr/McLaren half as much next playoff

Speaking of McLaren's, I wonder what became of Kyle. A million years ago, it feels like.

GordonHowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:47 PM
ODAAT

Quote:

Speaking of McLaren's, I wonder what became of Kyle. A million years ago, it feels like.
I liked him, anyone who`d do what he does this to a Hab will always have a soft spot in my heart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoIlaK5j238

Old
07-07-2013, 03:58 PM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Tough guy named Tony?

Oh yeah.

It's time.
In another thread Dom quickly alluded to I believe it was "concerns" the B's FO have about him. Would be interested to hear more. I imagine at least part of it has to be in regards to his recklessness in the playoffs this year.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 03:58 PM
NeelyDan

Agree that Montreal did this to counter teams other than Boston. Thornton is tough as nails, but he's no longer the type (never was?) to intimidate to the point of effecting roster decisions on opposing clubs.

NeelyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:00 PM
boston77

Quote:

Looks like injuries ended his career:

On March 4, 2009, he was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers for a 2009 sixth-round draft pick, but that deal was later nixed as the Flyers reported that McLaren failed his physical.[2]
McLaren received an invitation to attend training camp with the New York Rangers for the 2009-10 season, but did not make the team after failing a physical.
McLaren received another training camp invite by the Atlanta Thrashers for the 2010-11 NHL season on August 24, 2010 but was released on September 22, 2010.

boston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Serpico4ever

Someone asked about Rob Flick above, and although I don't know his game very well, he has yet to win a fight at the AHL level and loses in pathetic and embarrassing fashion, so he won't cut it in any way.

I think a guy like Tanner Glass would be great to take over for Thorton, but not while he's here. I think they expect ST to do the deed which is why they paid him so much for a five minute guy. I don't think he's really worried and knows its his job.

I like Faser for the fourth because he can play and fight and think Paille's game has developed enough for a bump. If they can get Lane MacDermid back that would be great. I wish they never traded for Jagr. Those two guys might just be plugs but they were perfect for what we're talking about, and then there was the first. Also, Jagr sucked.

Serpico4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:23 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
I get making a move based on other teams improving, if I`m a GM, no way, unless my team is continually getting physically steamrolled/manhandled game in and out I make any moves to address the goon factor, which is essentially the aforementioned names are in this case outside of Thornton and Prust who, when focused, can play
Agreed.

Besides, if a team in the division is trying to intimidate, there is always a big stiff available to bring in for a specific game.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:34 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Montreal signed Tarnasky too.

Intimidation and Thornton never meet. Shawn to me hasn't done that in a long time, maybe when he was a young bronco. Shawn has more like ''You can't do that to my teammates without fighting me'' or ''You think you can take me now?''

Shawn is a respected policeman.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote