HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Softest team in the NHL

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-07-2013, 05:39 PM
  #251
skillhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
The Penguins had more "skill" than Boston. I am not saying Boston's physicality won the series, but there is a lot more that go into these wins than skill.
Chicago is all skill, one bickell won't make them tough or gritty. They don't hit, they just skate your legs out, basically. you just gotta have skill in both ends, Chicago d was awesome.

skillhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:41 PM
  #252
Josh3217
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skillhockey View Post
Chicago is all skill, one bickell won't make them tough or gritty. They don't hit, they just skate your legs out, basically. you just gotta have skill in both ends, Chicago d was awesome.
Bickell, Shaw, Bolland kind of guys win you playoff series. We don't have anyone like that.

Josh3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:43 PM
  #253
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
They need more players willing to drop the gloves to shift momentum or stand up for their teammates.
Those guys are of minimal use during the regular season. In the playoffs they are worthless. Taking up a roster spot with those types in today's NHL is self-defeating.

There is a reason there are fewer of these players every season. They are nearing extinction, no matter how much fans long for them.

I love watching fights because they are entertaining. Their impact on an outcome is non-existent, though. It was a great strategy a long time ago when the Flyers beat their opponents into submission and scared the crap out of them. Partially because the rules have changed, it just doesn't work anymore.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:47 PM
  #254
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
The Penguins had more "skill" than Boston. I am not saying Boston's physicality won the series, but there is a lot more that go into these wins than skill.
I disagree with your skill premise. They have by far the most skilled players and Letang. I'll take the overall skills of Boston over Pitt throughout the lineup.

Then there is the part about Fleury being as bad a goalie as is currently playing.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:49 PM
  #255
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
It's not his make or break year, that's when I expect him to start playing in some games, wouldn't be a shock if he played half the season in ny and half in Hartford
That's what I said. I never said anything about a full season. I expect him to make the team at some point during the next season, or rather I hope he does. You think it should be the following season.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:49 PM
  #256
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,909
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
Bickell, Shaw, Bolland kind of guys win you playoff series. We don't have anyone like that.
Not a true statement. Circular logic. The reason those guys "win" a playoff series is because they won. If some other team won you'd just say "x, y, and z" on that team are guys you win with. Used for every third/fourth line type player ever because there's little else good to say about them

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:51 PM
  #257
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
That's what I said. I never said anything about a full season. I expect him to make the team at some point during the next season, or rather I hope he does. You think it should be the following season.
Oh, I thought you were saying as a full time NHLer. I would think he makes his NHL debut at some point this season, but I don't think he will be in Ny all season

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:52 PM
  #258
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I have avoided this mess for long enough...

In our series vs. Boston, Lucic wanted to make McD his ***** and we had no one to even remotely try to offer McD some assistance...in the past, Prust who was outmatched vs. Lucic would at least engage and remove Lucic from the ice for 5 minutes to open up space.

Lucic crushes soft as pillows Nash in the middle of the year and who defends Nash. I know...we can make them pay other ways...that worked out really well for us.

Now, lets move away from the Bruins...because that is a rarity to build...the Leafs this year will be just as physical if not more physical than the Bruins...the Habs, deemed small and soft with Prust in the lineup...went big in the draft and traded for Parros and signed Nick Taransky and will also have Jarrod Tinordi likely in their lineup

The Sabres...always viewed as a soft team...last year added size and grit...this year...they draft tree trunks in every round.

Every team in the East realizes size and grit and toughness need to be added in addition to talent...because if you have one without the other...you will most likely fail.

It is cute to say we are tough and some guys on our team are tough...hell, every hockey player is tough...but when you hardest hitter is 190 pounds and has one good shoulder you are ****ed.

With the 65th pick in the draft...we take a 170 pound kid who will need 5 years at least to add muscle to his bone thin body and 2 picks later a left shooting dman, Keegan Kanzig goes to Flames, he is 6'7 241, as a 18 year old.

It is nice to go for home run talent...it would also be nice to go for big mean mother ****er's as well.

Every year we draft one big guy and everyone else is a small guy who is fast or has a big shot or his father played in the NHL...the Bruins and just about every other team is now drafting 5 big mean ******** and 1 or 2 smaller talented guys.

With the way this team is currently built...we will not make the playoffs.
You just listed the Lucic and Chara effect on that division. I had a discussion with someone who is a big fan of the rough stuff, and its one of those things with these teams piling up, its either you go for that kind of a team, or you have to forego it, because you want have enough horses to win the battle that night.

I will say this, any night a team that can skate that happen to be icing some tough customers that can skate as well, will run up the score on this Ranger team thats being built. There's not gonna be any getting away from that with just McIlrath and Dorsett. Let's see what AV does with the line up, there should be some options to mix and match depending on match ups.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
  #259
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,122
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Boyle is awesome. How quickly people forget him bullying Erik Karlsson right out of a playoff series. If we are soft, it's certainly not his fault. He's one of our "stiffer" players to steal a Torts word.
Agreed. People seem to think that because he's massive and doesn't play like Eric Lindros, he's soft and/or useless.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:06 PM
  #260
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Those guys are of minimal use during the regular season. In the playoffs they are worthless. Taking up a roster spot with those types in today's NHL is self-defeating.

There is a reason there are fewer of these players every season. They are nearing extinction, no matter how much fans long for them.

I love watching fights because they are entertaining. Their impact on an outcome is non-existent, though. It was a great strategy a long time ago when the Flyers beat their opponents into submission and scared the crap out of them. Partially because the rules have changed, it just doesn't work anymore.
Where did I say they had to suck at everything else?

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:12 PM
  #261
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
Bickell, Shaw, Bolland kind of guys win you playoff series. We don't have anyone like that.
Bickell was a major contributor, but Kane, Toews, Hossa, Seabrook, Sharp and Keith find your statement amusing.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:13 PM
  #262
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
Oh, I thought you were saying as a full time NHLer. I would think he makes his NHL debut at some point this season, but I don't think he will be in Ny all season
Then we are in agreement.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:14 PM
  #263
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
I'd still love to see a list of some names of prospects that are future Lucic's

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:16 PM
  #264
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
Where did I say they had to suck at everything else?
You said they need players who fight. I disagreed.

There are very few players who fight who are skilled players. Maybe a handful. Everyone wants those players, but they are expensive and hard to come by.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:18 PM
  #265
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknottin View Post
I'd still love to see a list of some names of prospects that are future Lucic's
It will be a very short list.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
  #266
slipknottin
Registered User
 
slipknottin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: CT
Posts: 2,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
It will be a very short list.
Tyler Biggs is a guy I would love, but he wouldnt come cheap.

slipknottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:19 PM
  #267
Oak
Hockey fan
 
Oak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What situation are we cherry picking now? When Ovechkin ran McDonagh in a game 7? Theres a time and a place for everything.
Guess you forgot what we were talking about pretty quickly. We were talking about the end of season games against the Habs. The time and place was during that game. Nobody did anything.

Anyway carry on you obviously have nothing to add.

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:28 PM
  #268
Josh3217
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
I am against guys sticking up for others on clean hits for the most part, but that hit on McDonagh by Ovechkin needed to be answered.

Josh3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:31 PM
  #269
Josh3217
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
We will see how far this team gets this year with the soft skilled players. And then watch them get pounded in the playoffs because they have no push back.

Josh3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:34 PM
  #270
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
I am against guys sticking up for others on clean hits for the most part, but that hit on McDonagh by Ovechkin needed to be answered.
Yeah, what was the score in that game? Problem was it wasn't even a minor, right? In the regular season that's a 5 minute boarding call with a game misconduct pretty much every time. So we got screwed by the refs there...can't really have our guys taking a penalty and ending up short handed in that situation.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:38 PM
  #271
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
We will see how far this team gets this year with the soft skilled players. And then watch them get pounded in the playoffs because they have no push back.
Yeah, too bad next year's playoff rosters are already locked. Would have been nice to be able to call up some players or make a trade or two during the season. Oh well.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:41 PM
  #272
Josh3217
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, too bad next year's playoff rosters are already locked. Would have been nice to be able to call up some players or make a trade or two during the season. Oh well.
Ya ya ya...

Josh3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:43 PM
  #273
Josh3217
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Yeah, what was the score in that game? Problem was it wasn't even a minor, right? In the regular season that's a 5 minute boarding call with a game misconduct pretty much every time. So we got screwed by the refs there...can't really have our guys taking a penalty and ending up short handed in that situation.
Ya it was bulls*** how it was not even a penalty, but again normally I am not for it but McDonagh got ********* up from that hit, I don't know how nobody responded to it.

Josh3217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 06:45 PM
  #274
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Based on what Sather and Clark say? Based on where he was drafted? What gives you that confidence? What is it based on?
What has Sather said? Sather hardly ever says anything. Don't you know that?

I do have a good deal of trust in what Clark says. As a chief NHL scout he is above average. I also have read many of Beacon's reports on AHL game days. His assessments seem both analytical and reliable. He doesn't seem to have the tendency to paint pretty pictures when he doesn't see them. Beyond that what do you want? You're no more of an expert on this than just about anyone else here. There are things that I do take as reliable--that a big defenseman who skates well for instance and is good positionally is eventually going to get a shot--add in other factors and it enhances a more positive view.

I wonder if you ask such questions about Nathan MacKinnon or Seth Jones? Odds are on their sides that they're going to be excellent players--you know that right?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2013, 07:24 PM
  #275
chosen
Registered User
 
chosen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh3217 View Post
We will see how far this team gets this year with the soft skilled players. And then watch them get pounded in the playoffs because they have no push back.
Most people here thought Torts was the reason for the playoff exit. You think they are too soft. I'm the one who thinks Boston was just better.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.