HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which Draft Day Decision Was The Worst?

View Poll Results: Make your choice for worst draft day decision.
Passing on Shane Doan and taking Steve Kelly in '95. 78 54.55%
Taking Jason Bonsignore 4th overall in '94. 46 32.17%
Choosing Michel Riesen in the first round of '97. 7 4.90%
Not taking Parise and instead getting Pouliot & Jacques instead in 2003. 7 4.90%
Other (and specify). 5 3.50%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Cujo_31

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neogeo69
Excellent points Digger. I agree, the Oilers during the Sather years seem to show extremely little patience with their draft picks.

Hopefully, Lowe will improve with his drafting and our coaches will give the picks some playing time. From what I've seen so far, I've been extremely happy with the development of Hemsky, Torres, Stoll, Pisani, Reasoner, Semenov, Bergeron and Conklin.

tied, passing on Shane Doan & choosing Steve Kelly...
also drafting Jason Bosignore 4th overall.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:06 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujo_31
tied, passing on Shane Doan & choosing Steve Kelly...
also drafting Jason Bosignore 4th overall.
The Oilers could have drafted Jeff O'Neill and now could have both O'Neil and Smyth on the same line.

01-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Oi'll say!

-For me the Doan/Kelly fiasco is the obvious choice, Doan's assets going into that draft just seemed a bit more tangible. I favour power forwards over skill guys in most instances anyways so it's kind of a no brainer for me to go that route.

-Like speeds and others have mentioned JB had too much upside to pass up on and I know for a fact I would have picked the exact same guy if it was up to me, so this pick doesn't really get under my skin. He was a huge silky smooth playmaker and you could tell he had great vision on the ice, it just always seemed to me like his passes were 1/7th too slow and he wound up turning the puck over instead of making a great pass.

-I really have to question why anyone would pick the Pouliot/Parise draft at this point.

For all that Parise did in the round robin this year at the wjc he was invisible against Finn (despite Pierre M's idiotic gushing over his lone assist) and Canada in the playoffs, and besides we have absolutely no need whatsoever for a small center. Been there, done that.

Even if MAP and JFJ never make the show and ZP does I don't really care, I want this team OFF the smurf train, at center especially.

Old
01-07-2004, 05:37 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanko
Parise didn't impress in the gold medal game or in the semi vs Finland .Anthony Stewart that's the guy.
I agree with you here, as much as there's been alot of rumbling about how the Oilers should of took Parise, I personally felt Stewart had a better WJC then Parise. I like his play alot in front of the net and along the boards, if his head doesn't get too big (didn't like that whole drama earlier this season when he rejected the Panthers offer saying he felt their offer was done to take advantage of his rookie situation), he should turn out to be a great NHLer.

GXL

Old
01-07-2004, 06:36 PM
elphy101

I ended up choosing the Riesen drafting.

The reason being that Kelly and Bonsignore turned into Eric Brewer which is not bad return. Michel Riesen turned into nothing.

Old
01-07-2004, 07:43 PM
HarryStrand

Coming out of the 1990 Draft with players that ended up with zero games in the NHL has to be the worst group of decisions by any NHL organization. I don't think even one of the players selected was traded for a single asset. (I'm not positive, but I don't think the Oilers were even compensated for that goofy move they made with their 227th pick that year that was ruled invalid).

I think the decisions the Oilers made with the draft picks the Oilers received in the Gretzky trade, overall, turned out to be huge disappointments (traded the 1989 pick to New Jersey, the 1991 pick was used to get Rucinsky, and the 1993 pick was used to pick Nick Stajduhar - notice a serious decline in the wisdom used at the draft as Barry Fraser's power in the organization grew over the years?)

Old
01-07-2004, 07:44 PM
TkachevYak2Slepy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger12
Hope you're happy...I was in a good mood today, now after that I'm all grumpy. :mad:

Sather stepping up to the podium...the fans chanting "DOAN, DOAN, DOAN", and Slats literally spits out the words "STEVE...KELLY!" in a nearly defiant tone. The fans boo. I throw my remote and kick the cat.

Maybe the chief exhibit of the Oilers drafting a player based on speed, without giving equal airtime to everything else that has to do with playing the game of hockey. It's fine enough with a mid round pick when you're pretty much throwing darts blindfolded anyway, but to do it with a 6th overall pick...ugh.
indeed, it was like, speed became Sather prime criteria. He must have got it from Howie Meeker, because I still remember his comment that he wasn't very impressed with Gretzky forward skating speed, when Gretzky joined the Oilers as though it was the only skill.
Probably my most disappointing draft though was Jason Bonsignore in 1994 because it was 4th and we really needed to draft well at that time and had completely blew it

Old
01-07-2004, 09:51 PM
icarus

It's not as bad as the Doan thing, but a similar thing happened at the draft in Calgary in 2000.

It was in the second round, and the Flames were deliberating with the pick they had received in return for JS Giguere. A good number of the crowd started chanting "Pett-in-ger! Pett-in-ger!", hoping the Flames would pick the Hitmen star. But no, they traded the pick to Washington for Miika "Tickle-Me" Elomo. The Caps used the pick to draft Matt Pettinger, who is currently a regular in their lineup while Elomo has disappeared off the face of the earth. Thus concludes the story of how the Flames almost got something in exchange for Giguere.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:01 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
It's not as bad as the Doan thing, but a similar thing happened at the draft in Calgary in 2000.

It was in the second round, and the Flames were deliberating with the pick they had received in return for JS Giguere. A good number of the crowd started chanting "Pett-in-ger! Pett-in-ger!", hoping the Flames would pick the Hitmen star. But no, they traded the pick to Washington for Miika "Tickle-Me" Elomo. The Caps used the pick to draft Matt Pettinger, who is currently a regular in their lineup while Elomo has disappeared off the face of the earth. Thus concludes the story of how the Flames almost got something in exchange for Giguere.
Haha, What's up with team's drafting terribly when they hosts the draft? If Krahn doesn't turn out that 2000 draft is completely worthless, not one of our picks that year is still in the organization other than Krahn.

Old
01-07-2004, 10:44 PM
icarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
Haha, What's up with team's drafting terribly when they hosts the draft? If Krahn doesn't turn out that 2000 draft is completely worthless, not one of our picks that year is still in the organization other than Krahn.
Hey, the Oilers and Flames made some good picks with Matthew Lombardi and Jarrett Stoll, respectively.

Old
01-08-2004, 04:27 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky83
The Oilers could have drafted Jeff O'Neill and now could have both O'Neil and Smyth on the same line.
If we took o'neill with the 4th pick the Whalers would have taken Smyth with the 5th, so basically in retrospect, its do you want Smyth or O'neill?

What we should have picked was
4-Smyth
6-Friesen

Old
01-08-2004, 09:07 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus
Hey, the Oilers and Flames made some good picks with Matthew Lombardi and Jarrett Stoll, respectively.
True, but Stoll still ain't a Flame.

Old
01-08-2004, 09:16 PM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruezer
True, but Stoll still ain't a Flame.
Lombardi ain't an Oiler anymore either, both players were previously drafted by the other team.

Old
01-09-2004, 08:37 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

I'm wondering if not taking a flyer on Patrick O'Sullivan might be one that'll be on this list in a couple of years.

Old
01-09-2004, 01:20 PM
kruezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say!
Lombardi ain't an Oiler anymore either, both players were previously drafted by the other team.
Exactly, but thats beside the point

And o_g_e passing on Patty O might be something 29 teams in the NHL regret soon.

Closed Thread